InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Glimpse of the Future ❯ Chapter 3

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

I still don't own them, but I'm saving up my allowance!! (yeah, right!)

~~~

Ch 3 Explanations are given

Kagome looked up from their conspiratorial huddle only to see the most beautiful woman standing behind the two younger siblings. She had a smile on her face that reminded her of a battle-ready Inuyasha. Was this the infamous Kai?

Inuyasha tried to pick his jaw up off of the ground at the sight of the dog-demoness. She too sported dog ears and a tail, but she was different than the boys. Is THAT Kai, he wondered?

The woman smiled at the boys, showing her fangs, as she looked each one in the eye. "And just who, pray tell, named me Kai the Undefeated and Kai the Powerful??"

Ah, so this MUST be Kai, Kagome thought as she watched this woman. She didn't sense much energy coming from this one, not nearly as much as from Juro, at least, but she had the idea that they respected her very much. While Kai stared down her younger brothers, Kagome took in her silvery-white hair, and sapphire-blue eyes, her curvy body as well as the three blue stripes on each arm… WAIT! Kagome's eyes widened. She had only ever seen 2 red stripes on arms, as well as faces. She looked back up at Kai's face, only to see three blue stripes on each cheek as well. She elbowed Inuyasha to get his attention, and when he didn't respond, looked over at him.

Inuyasha just stared at her. She was gorgeous. The way her long white hair fell down her back, the way those blue eyes glowed brighter when she was angry, the way those blue stripes on her face brought out her eyes… WAIT! Blue stripes?? The others had red, as did Sesshoumaru and his father. Then he noticed she didn't have only 2, but THREE stripes. He looked over at Kagome, only to see her face with that look that always came before a….

"OSUWARI!"

BAM! "Ow… Bitch, what was that for?!" Inuyasha leapt up and glared at Kagome, not noticing their audience.

"For staring at her like you were!" Kagome huffed, her hands on her hips as she returned Inuyasha's glare.

"Staring at her like what?!" Inuyasha growled out, only to be tapped on the shoulder. He spun around, ready to kill Shippou as usual, only to be greeted by brilliant blue eyes in a face framed by silvery hair.

Kai smiled at them. They were so cute when they argued. But she didn't want to see them fight to the point where Kagome would cry and Inuyasha would go back to his time, and especially not over her!

"Both of you, calm down please." Kai stated softly. She smiled at them both, and took both of their hands. "Come on, let's go inside! I can't wait to meet Souta and everyone!"

Kagome's eyes widened. Oh no! She thought. How do I explain them to Souta?!

~~*~~

Souta was delighted at the sight of the four new demons, all with dog-ears and tails. He kept playing with Kai's tail, even though the brothers kept looking at him nervously, as though hoping he didn't annoy the demoness.

They were all sitting in the living room, and Kai was leaning back against the wall, her tail laid out on the ground beside her in order to let Souta have easier access. The cat came over, but Kai noticed it and when Kagome saw her giving Buyo a warning glare as he reached out to swipe at her tail, she scooped up the cat and took it outside in an effort to keep anyone from starting a fight.

They each had lived up to their nicknames so far, except the quiet Kai. Kaedo was, in fact, kind and polite, and when it was decided the four demons were staying the night, had insisted that Kagome not worry about trying to clean everything for them. Taisho, on the other hand, was just as impish as his title dubbed him. He, like Inuyasha had before him, decided that the cat was a toy, and that it was hilarious to watch Buyo dance. (With Inuyasha's help, of course.)

Juro was more the skeptical kind, but was also very smart. He had been interested by her grandfather's room, and the books he had, for goodness' sake! But Kai, no, Kai was quiet, and when she did speak, the other boys listened to her and respected her wishes.

Kai the Powerful, Kagome thought as she looked at the dog demoness. Kai the Undefeated. But I still don't sense much energy coming from her, unless… she's blocking it?! But how can she?!

"Hey, Kai," Inuyasha spoke up, glad to be over his earlier speech impediment. "So why do they call you those names, and why do you hate them?" He had noticed Kagome's curious looks, and taken a guess as to her train of thought, and was rewarded with a smile from Kagome before they both turned to look at the quiet figure whose ears had twitched in his direction when he had spoken.

Kai grinned at him. "I was wondering when one of you were gonna ask." Kai sighed, but when she went to speak, Kaedo leapt up with enthusiasm.

"Kai the Powerful is the strongest demon to have ever lived!!" Kaedo continued to practically bounce in place, his enthusiasm almost bubbling over. Kai grinned at him, but shook her head.

"We have yet to meet a lot of demons, Kaedo. We can't very well say one is more powerful than another. Strength is one thing, then there's brains, and the reason for the fight." Kai sighed. "Every time you and your brother go out and boast that I am the most powerful, another new demon comes along, ready to defeat me. All a title like that does is boost one's ego, cause arrogance which results in slacking off, and bring trouble."

Kagome was surprised. For one thing, that was the most Kai had spoken yet. For another, now that Kagome thought about it, she was right. You say you're the best at something, and along comes someone intent on causing your downfall.

Taisho stood now, taking on a battle stance. "But you're still Kai the Undefeated!"

Everyone now sat there, watching Kai to see her reaction and to hear her response. Even Souta had stopped playing with the fluffy tail before him to listen. Kagome watched as Kai smiled at her brothers, both of who were looking at her hopefully.

"But boys, think about it," Kai began. "How many fights have I been in? Or better yet, how many fights HAVEN'T I been in? Who knows, perhaps I won't feel like fighting one day, and give up to someone who's trying to protect their home. That doesn't make me a coward, or a weakling, it just means I had nothing to gain or lose from the fight, and the outcome had no significance to me, so I didn't bother wasting my time."

Inuyasha looked at this demoness curiously. Who had raised her?! Her quiet attitude had made him think more along the lines of Sesshoumaru, but his half-brother was the Taiyoukai of the West Lands, and made sure others knew he could not be defeated.

Kaedo and Taisho looked at their sister, pouting slightly as she again refused to go by the names they had chosen for her. "But you have to have a nickname!" Taisho argued, while Kaedo nodded behind him. "Even Juro accepted his name!"

Kai laughed, surprising them all. She smiled at them lovingly. "I know, boys, but that doesn't mean I have to have a name that sounds like I'm boasting about my abilities."

Speaking of abilities…. Kagome thought as she looked at the now more conversational Kai. "Kai?" She asked nervously, considering her and Souta were the only humans among the group, even though Juro seemed more content to sit next to his brothers, a book open on his lap.

Kai turned and looked at her, waiting for the question. "Yes, Kagome?" Kai smiled at the skittish human. "Relax, Kagome… we have no intention of harming you, and every intention of protecting you."

Kagome was taken aback at this, but felt slightly better. She took a deep breath and asked the question that had bothered her all evening, even more than Kai's name. "Why is it I can't sense very much energy coming from you? I mean…" Kagome began to stutter as she tried to come up with a way to explain it that wouldn't result in a very annoyed guest.

Kai laughed, waving off her attempts to soften the blow. She smiled at Kagome, who blushed slightly, looking a little embarrassed for asking the question.

"Well, Kagome," Kai noticed that she now had Inuyasha's attention as well. "I have the ability to make it seem like I'm much weaker than I really am. I can also extend it to cover the boys as well, which I sometimes do when none of us feel like fighting, or when we're trying to sneak up on someone. Now I do it merely by habit."

Kagome looked at her, surprised, and glanced over at Inuyasha who was seated a couple of feet away from her, probably to give them impression that he didn't care for her as much as they both knew he did. This way, if the guests decided to become violent, they wouldn't automatically kidnap Kagome and use her against him.

Kai smiled. "And now I'm guessing you want to know where the hell we came from." She grinned as she looked at Inuyasha, who blushed slightly.

"Can you read minds?" Inuyasha asked, who felt like this girl seemed to know everything before they could say it. Did she have psychic powers as well? Is that why they called her The Powerful?

Kai laughed. "No, no, of course not." At Inuyasha's doubtful look, she continued, "I merely have spent enough time with the both of you to be able to sense your emotions, and to be able to figure out where your minds are going by the looks on your faces, combined with your emotions." Kai smiled at them.

Kagome and Inuyasha looked at each other, both wondering how she could know them so well in a matter of hours.

Kai laughed again. "It's okay, calm down, both of you." The couple turned to look at Kai, whose tail was now twitching slightly on the ground, due to Souta's resumed play.

Taisho grinned. "Yeah, I already told you earlier, we know you, even if you don't know us… yet…"

A growl began to sound in the room, and everyone looked to the source, which ended up being Juro, who was glaring at Taisho with darkened golden eyes. "And I already told you, that we can't tell them that kind of stuff, since it might affect the future!"

Kaedo now sat forward, coming to his brother's defense. "But Juro, it's gonna happen no matter what. Besides, how do we know that we're not just following the current line of history? They never told us that we came to visit them, true, but they never said we DIDN'T."

Inuyasha and Kagome were shocked at this statement from the youngest one, before remembering that these weren't mere humans, they were demons, and probably much older than they looked.

Kai laughed. "Bravo, Kaedo. My apologies, Juro, but he does have a point. Perhaps things happened the way they did simply because of what's happening now. In any case, we're here, and we won't give away any vital information. Nothing that they don't already know."

Juro thought about this for a moment. A smile crept onto his face as he looked from Kai to Taisho to Kaedo. He grinned and nodded. "Very well. I'm guessing that means it's a good thing I brought this?" He held up a Polaroid camera, which resulted in a cheer from the rest of the demon family.

Kai smiled at the now-confused Kagome and Inuyasha. "Well, I guess that means it's time to answer your question, then, about where we came from." She smiled and stood, her tail still resting on the ground, although Souta was staring at the proud demoness before him.

"My name is Kai," She said and smiled at them, while Juro got his camera ready for the award-winning picture. "And I was born during the Warring States Era, about 500 years ago." Juro grinned as the flash went off, capturing Inuyasha and Kagome's shocked faces forever.

~~~

Kinda long, huh?? But hey, you know you love it! At least, I hope you do… please review!!