InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Gypsy Princess ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Four

 

"So…you like him, don't you?" Sango slyly remarked. She and Kagome were in their room, dressing for dinner. Kagome froze after her friend had stated the `innocent' remark.

"WHAT?! Sango, you are just…just…ugh! How could you think that? What do you think would make you think that?"

"I try."

"We all know that. Just don't hurt yourself or anything."

"How kind of you to care."

"I try."

"Stop stealing my lines! You always do that!" Sango glared at Kagome, who promptly ignored it.

"Now, now. You're just jealous because I can use them so much better than you can."

She took a fresh skirt and blouse from her dresser. The skirt was a dark blue that brought out the blueness of her eyes. It's hem halted mere millimeters above her ankles. The blouse was white with almost-ivory buttons, which were all done up except for the two at the top. She thrust golden hoops through her ears to complete the outfit.

"Alright, how do I look?" Kagome twirled in front of Sango for inspection. The skirt and petticoat swiveled as she did so. The other girl was silently shaking her head.

"Kag, um...well, to say the least, erm…you, uh…"Sango mumbled. She stopped when she caught sight of Kagome's death glare and quickly dropped her act. "Joking, just joking! You look perfect. Me?" Sango twirled slowly in her trousers. Black breeches and brown leather boots helped her move around easily, and a magenta-colored blouse with the ends tied in front made it complete.

"B-e-a-utiful. Now, let us depart!" The two linked arms and skipped down the hall.

 

~*-------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------*~

 

"What are you thinking about?" Miroku asked. He and Inuyasha were sitting in the dining hall, waiting dinner. The other guests, and Naraku, were also talking about something or another. Inuyasha glared at the monk.

"Keh. Like I'd tell you, monk."

"There's little hope in me that you will."

"No such luck."

"Drat."

"Feh."

"'Feh' yourself."

"…what are you thinking about?" The question caught Miroku by surprise and stumbled for an answer.

"W-well, I'm thinking about those lovely ladies that we `bumped' into today. Both were goddesses, if you ask me. Even though they were covered in honey…it made them look as if they were glowing. You know?"

"Feh. Like I would ask you……no."

"Ah, well. Did you see the one with her hair all long and silky? Her magenta eyes glowed and made me fell all alive. She wore a ridiculously long skirt. Shouldn't they have more freedom than that? Plus, she acted all innocent and helpless when she pleaded for aid from the other lady. Whom, I think, had a great impact on you." Miroku muttered that last bit under his breath, and unfortunately, forgot Inuyasha's ears. The hanyou whirled on him, but before he could question the other man's statement with a hot reply, the kitchen doors burst open and emitted servants carrying finger bowls.

To his surprise and annoyance, (and to Miroku's pleasure, no doubt), Kagome and Sango daintily carried the bowls toward Naraku's table, where the prince and monk were seated. Kagome's eyes widened to see the hanyou there as they approached, but quickly covered it up. Inuyasha just made a sound that sounded like a `Feh,' and averted his gaze.

Miroku was unsuccessfully trying to get Sango's attention. Suddenly, she felt a hand connect to her rear end. She whirled around with a squeak. Miroku was smiling at her; her heart did a flip-flop. Then she noticed his hand moving downward…

"Pervert!" she cried, smacking him with her empty bowl. The bowl didn't shatter, but it made a very loud, echoing `thud'. To her surprise and somewhat relief, no one seemed to notice. She did notice that Inuyasha was snorting with amusement. Kagome caught her eye and motioned to the kitchen. Sango shook her head slightly, and mouthed "I'm fine." to her friend. The other girl narrowed her eyes and grabbed Sango's sleeve, pulling her toward the kitchen. The other girl struggled at first, looked at Kagome's determined face, and gave in.

They sidestepped all of the bustling servants and found a quiet corner to whisper in.

"What happened? Why did you hit that man?" Kagome asked, locking eyes with Sango.

"He groped me, Kag. And you know that Naraku won't do anything to stop him if…he…" Kagome hushed her with a quick hug. Pulling back, she gazed tenderly at her `sister'.

"He may not, but I will. I will forever protect you. Sango, if that means that I am punished for breaking rules, then so be it; as long as you're ok. You've been more of a sister to me than a friend at times, and you've helped me start a new life here, as a slave. You helped me see past all that, to look at the joy in life instead of the darkness. Please don't give up. Not when you have helped so many, now you must help yourself.

"I've been told that I have enough spirit and fight to go around, and it has been. But it keeps passing you by. Why? Draw on it now, or whenever you need to, to help keep you going. I'll always be there for you. What else are friends for?" Kagome grinned at Sango, who returned it. She always knew that her little sister would help her; most of the time with a speech. She was like that.

And she would call her that, even in public, just to get some fight out of Kagome. Kagome allowed it, but got revenge that night by putting something squishy in Sango's bed. Kagome was the younger of the two, but always defended Sango to no end.

"Thanks, Sis." Kagome grinned as they hugged again. Feeling braver, Sango said with a few chuckles,

"Let's go before `His Highness' decides to worry." Together, they entered the dining hall once again.

 

~*-------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------*~

 

Sighing deeply, Kagome took the last course out to the hall again. Sango followed soon after. Placing the dish delicately in front of the nobles, Kagome's thoughts turned toward the Prince against her will. `Certainly arrogant, rude, selfish, snobbish, and male. Handsome, his dog ears are a plus; they're the cutest! And the few times he smiled, my heart just melts. It stops when he looks at me. His eyes are so beautiful…what?! What am I thinking?' Kagome shook her head mentally. `I can't do this. I can't. Sango will go, `I told you so. It's about time you found someone.'

A tap on her hand interrupted Kagome's thoughts. Naraku grinned as she glared at him,

"Yes, my Lord?" she asked, gritting her teeth. The servants were told to call him Master, but she had not done so. `What punishment will I receive now for my forgetfulness?'

"Kagome, Jewel, I was wondering if you would perform." Kagome gaped at him, aghast.

"T-tonight?"

"…possibly."

"No. Absolutely not."

"Kagome."

"No! I will not do that in front of so many people! You know that-"

"Kagome."

"-I've never had more than ten audience members before! No, Naraku!"

"Kagome."

"What?!"

During their heated, whispered conversation, the lord had positioned his knife and his wine glass so that it would make a very clear ringing sound when both items collided. Kagome visibly gulped.

"Two days."

"Tonight."

"Tomorrow."

"Tomorrow morning."

"Tomorrow night."

"Done!" Naraku burbled with laughter as she scowled at him. `What have I gotten myself into?' she asked herself.

"Have I yet to tell you today that I hate you, Naraku?" Kagome hissed at him. Her lord shook his head.

"I think you are overdo. But please resist trying to slap me this time. I shudder at the thought of your last punishment." Kagome's eyes widened with anger, hidden pain, and embarrassment. "Alright, start your `hatred speech' then." Kagome glared at him so that could have melted a glacier.

"I. Hate. You. Ever since you came here and took my life away have I loathed you. I loathe you from the bottom of my heart. Which is saying a lot because people tell me I have a very big heart. So you have no idea how much I hate you. You. Took. My. Life. Away. You murdered me. You killed my heart and soul that day…that day you…you…" But Kagome could not bring herself to say the words, being so emotional, in front of so many people, to boot. She just dropped her empty tray, turned and ran for all she was worth toward the outside doors, into the darkness of the forest.

 

~*-------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------*~

 

Inuyasha was shocked. Visibly shocked. Unknown to her, he had watched Kagome all night, and had listened to all of her conversations with the help of his excellent ears. Including the little sister-talk she had with Sango.

But her little `hatred speech', as Naraku liked to call it, shocked him so thoroughly. He never knew that a woman could have a way with words as she had. It amazed him and sort of scared him at the same time. `I wonder what the wench will do next,' he thought as he strode out of the dining hall. He had some thinking to do, and in the castle he would get nowhere.

 

 

 

A/N: WOW. Long chapter. Four pages. Wowowowowow. Go me. Lol, anyway, I'll make chapter five even longer! Please please please please please review! Press a button and make me happy.