InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hidden Powers ❯ Chapter 6 (preview) ( Chapter 6 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Well, this is not a real chapter. Just a short preview. I'm already in the middle of writing the new chapter and hopefully, it will turn out longer than usual…

But for the time being, just so that nobody will think that I'm dead or something, this is a very short section. I may be improving on this later, though…so do expect changes…

And also, please allow me some time since I'm going to be very busy with school. All the schedules are messed up because of SARS so we'll have to catch up with schoolwork.

But don't worry! It's coming soon!

Chapter 6 (preview)

Mrs. Higurashi frowned worriedly as she stared at the flashing television screen. Things were not going well.

She was one of the rare people in the wizarding world who actually make use of muggle items and catch up with muggle news. Not a surprise though, considering that she was married to a muggle.

With a small sigh, she turned the TV off. It was no use. Everyday, the news is filled with reports of more people dying. And the worse part is that the muggles don't even know what was causing it all, leaving themselves no methods of defense. Not that they will be able to defend themselves even if they anyway.

She winced as something crashed in the basement. There he goes again. Putting up more Ofudas all around the house, to 'ward off evil spirits', as he puts it.

Sometimes, she wished that her husband was still alive. At least she would have someone to turn to for comfort. But no, he simply had to get himself killed in a car crash of all things, right after they marry. All that he left was the shrine and his dear father. It was only a month ago, but it seemed as if he had been gone for a long time.

Another crash.

Mrs. Higurashi winced as the old man stumbled out with a triumphant smile, holding a thick stack of Ofudas.

"Just got more Ofudas up. Now that bastard won't be able to get to us. Nothing can defy the power of god. That's what protecting Japan you see. It's history…"

Mrs. Higurashi sweat dropped as she quickly cut off the old man and started shoving him to the bathroom. God knows how long it was since the basement was last cleaned. Must be at least twenty years.

Making a mental note to give it a good dusting when the whole Voldemort business is over, she went back to sit in front of the television and switched it on again.

'…Have started to evacuated to places like Japan, China and other relatively safer places situated in Asia, where death rate is slightly lower. Scientists believe that this occurrence of sudden, unexplained death is caused by a new, undiscovered virus that has been mutated somehow. Others believe that this is a sign given to us by god…'

"Bullshit. Those people think that flocking here like a bunch of birds will help? Whoever it is that's causing this will just spread his territory." The old man grumbled as he walked out into the living room.

"All they can do is to run away. What do they think they will get from it? It's not like some miracle will happen and a beam of light will fall from the sky and…"

"Can they really fall out of the sky?"

The old man blinked as the question popped out of nowhere. Staring at his daughter-in-law, who looked just as surprised, he tried to decide whether he was imagining things, or that voice really existed. But no matter what, he couldn't remember that there was a third person in the house.

He looked down as he felt a small tug on his pants. Wide, adorable blue eyes stared back. A small girl, about five by the looks of it, stood where an empty spot have been. She cocked her head innocently as she realized what he was doing.

"Um, do you ever remember having a small girl in our house?" He asked, not taking his eyes off the little girl.

"Well, no. And I'm very sure that I haven't ever seen her around the neighborhoods either. Have you?"

He shook his head silently as the girl gave him a smile. Unknowing to anyone, she started to glow, a strange aura surrounding her. After what seemed like decades, Mrs. Higurashi blinked and reached for the girl.

"Kagome, what are you just standing there for? Didn't you agree to help me make some steak for dinner? Now be a good girl and come help Mama. Then you can play with Jii-chan later."

"Hai!" The girl chirped happily as she followed Mrs. Higurashi into the kitchen while the old man just sat himself in front of the television.

Kagome. Higurashi Kagome.

That's her name now.