InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ His Brother's Girl ❯ I will save you! ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 8: I will save you!

"Greater Love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." - John 15:13

"Inuyasha-sama...daijoubu?" she whispered in the dark. "Inuyasha-sama...where are you?" Rin said again as she paused and picked up the rock she nearly tripped over. Holding it her hand like a weapon for it helped make her feel braver; she silently made her way to the front of cave. She was afraid and yet angry that she couldn't get a response from the hanyou. As she walked on, Rin wondered if the cave's owner had come back and eaten her new friend Inuyasha-sama. Then she wondered if he had maybe waited until she was asleep before silently slipping away to leave to her fate. "But Inuyasha-sama promised he wouldn't leave Rin-chan alone..." that's when she heard the sounds of a struggle.

"What should Rin-chan do? What if Inuyasha-sama is in trouble?" she stood there rooted in fear trying to will herself brave enough to go on. Swallowing her fear in a huge lump, she hefted the rock in her hand and before her moment of bravery passed, she called out again. "Inuyasha-sama…! Daijoubu?! Don't worry Inuyasha-sama...Rin-chan will help you!" She rushed forward and was amazed to see Sesshomaru.

"Sesshomaru-sama...Rin-chan is so happy you found her! See Inuyasha-sama, Rin-chan told you he would find her! Arigatou Inuyasha-sama for watching over Rin-chan!" She stood there torn between her desire to hug the tall Youkai lord for finding her and hugging his hanyou brother for looking after her.

"Inuyasha-sama...?" Sesshomaru said as he came slowly over to her.

"Hai! Inuyasha-sama took very good care of Rin-chan while Jaken-sama was lost!" She paused to take a breath and that was when he interrupted her.

"So you're saying my useless brother actually did something useful for a change?" the Youkai lord looked from the little girl to his brother and back again.

"Hai! Sesshomaru-sama...Inuyasha-sama took much better care of Rin-chan than Jaken-sama does!" she cried. "He went and got food for Rin-chan without complaining too much...and he entertained Rin-chan when she was bored..."

"Entertained....?" Sesshomaru asked as he eyed his brother before looking back at the little girl child.

"Hai! He told stories, and he san...Daijoubu Inuyasha-sama?" Rin asked as she caught sight of the hanyou doing his best to get her to shut up without attracting his brother's attention.

Inuyasha coughed a few times before he found his voice. "Daijoubu…You know if you hadn't attacked me Arsehole... I would have told you she was fine and asleep in the back of the cave...out of harm's way. Shit!" he swore. "You'd use any excuse to kill me, now wouldn't you?"

"Who needs an excuse to get rid of an enemy..." Sesshomaru said quietly as he tried to get Rin out of the hanyou's presence. "You are sure you are unharmed...?" he asked her.

"Hai! Rin-chan is sure that someone as nice as Inuyasha-sama would never harm her!" She beamed at the hanyou before her features settled into a puzzled frown as she caught the look on his face. "Daijo.."

"Keh!" Inuyasha said as he rolled his eyes. "She's just not worth the effort of harming, Sesshomaru...Now if I were stuck looking after you... I don't think you'd fare as well." He said as he cracked his knuckles.

"Keh! I'd rather die first than have you look after me...." Sesshomaru also cracked his knuckles as he placed himself between his brother and the girl-child.

"That could be arranged..." the hanyou said as he grinned wickedly.

The two demon brothers circled each other as if trying to find the other's weakness. Sesshomaru struck first using his energy whip. The hanyou then leaped neatly out of the way and as he did so he drew the Tetsusaiga.

"Sesshomaru-sama is Rin alright in there? I hope she's hungry cuz I have a nice fat rabbit...." The toad Youkai called out as he made his way into the cave.

Dropping the rabbit he grabbed the jintojo in both hands and aimed it the battling brothers. "Hold still Sesshomaru-sama so I can blast that worthless hanyou straight to hell!"

"Careful you idiot before you hit something you shouldn't!" The Youkai yelled as he unsheathed the Toukijin and prepared to use it in battle. Ignoring the girl and the toad Youkai, they inched their way out of the cave in an attempt to find a better place to battle. Swords held at the ready, the two demon brothers found themselves on a flat plain in front of the cave. They each backed away from the other as the two of them continued to stare the other one down.

"Why don't you just take the girl and get the hell out of here Sesshomaru…"

"Nande? Could it be you are afraid I'll finally succeed this time in killing you Oto-chan…?"

"Keh! As if I would ever be afraid of you!"

"Then if you're not afraid….!" Sesshomaru called out as he came rushing headlong towards his brother. After a moment's hesitation Inuyasha rushed forward too and their blades met with a resounding crack.

They stayed that way for what seemed an eternity, locked together in a battle of sibling rivalry gone too far, before breaking apart to launch their next attack.

Round and round the battle went with neither one gaining the upper hand…

"Please Jaken-sama, don't do it! You could hurt Sesshomaru-sama if do!" Rin pleaded as she and the toad Youkai stood at the mouth of the cave watching the battle below. "You could also hurt Inuyasha-sama if not careful…" she thought.

"Sesshomaru-sama would be pleased if I helped rid him of that worthless half-breed brother of his!" Jaken said as he desperately tried to take aim.

"But Inuyasha-sama was so nice to Rin-chan while you were lost…Rin-chan can't…watch this…." She said as she started to cry again. She then sat down and buried her face in her hands.

"Why are you going soft on that bastard for? You know he was the one who cut off Sesshomaru's arm for no good reason!"

"No! That's not true! Inuyasha told Rin-chan the story behind that!"

"Inuyasha told you a bunch of lies Rin! Lies! Think you idiot! Do you really think that worthless hanyou is going to tell you the truth when he knows a lie would work better?"

"Rin-chan doesn't know what to think…Jaken-sama, Inuyasha-sama told Rin-chan that Youkai tell lies…" She looked at him full of uncertainty as somehow in her heart she had the feeling he and not the hanyou was lying to her and yet the seeds of doubt that Jaken planted were starting to take root as she considered what he said. "Demo…Jaken-sama…why would Inuyasha-sama lie to Rin-chan? He was very kind to her and if he had wanted to harm Rin-chan why would he be so nice…? Rin-chan is confused Jaken-sama…" She looked at him with eyes full of uncertainty as she tried to sort out her feelings.

"Why…because he wanted to lure you away from Sesshomaru-sama so that he could get him in a position to kill him! Do you think he really wanted to cut off Sesshomaru-sama's arm? Hell the bastard wanted to cut off Sesshomaru-sama's head and he missed!"

"No! Rin-chan refuses to believe that to be true! It can't be true…" She trailed off softly as she looked at the battle unfolding in front of her.

"Keh! I can see your mind has been poisoned by his lies! What do you think Sesshomaru-sama would do if he heard you speak like that?!"

Rin turned to address the toad Youkai but as she did so she caught a flash of movement on the battlefield. She turned back in time to see Sesshomaru slip on the wet grass and go down as the Toukijin went flying. In the blink of an eye Inuyasha held the Tetsusaiga at his throat. Sesshomaru lay looking death in the eye as the Tensaiga pulsed at his hip.

"I guess it's time to end this once and for all, eh Sesshomaru…?" the hanyou said quietly before he jerked his head up at the sound of her screams.

"Noooooo! No Inuyasha-sama! Please don't hurt Sesshomaru-sama! Please! Rin-chan begs you!" She cried as she flew to her lord and master's side. Once there she got down on her knees and begged the hanyou for mercy.

"Rin! Leave now!" the fallen Youkai commanded. "Go now! I do not need you to beg for my life…"

"Listen to him kid and leave now…I'm sure the toad will look after you just fine…" The hanyou said as he looked away from his brother to look at the girl. It was then that she saw his eyes start to glow red.

Rin shrank back in fear for the hanyou was now in the full grip of the blood lust that sang in his veins, which was beginning to drive out all thought but the desire to end his brother's life.

"Please Inuyasha-sama…let Sesshomaru-sama go…if you must…then take Rin-chan's life instead…."