InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ His Gift of Protection ❯ Affirmation of an Oath ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of  their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended. In other words, I don't own and I make no money from this.

--------------------------

Originally posted to Inuyasha Fanfiction on June 18, 2012 for oneshot #16 Oath. Won 1st place.

Title: Affirmation of an Oath
Author: ananova
Word Count: 1340
Prompt: Oath
Genre: Friendship
Rating: T
Warnings: None
Characters: Inuyasha and Kagome
Summary: Inuyasha brings Kagome to meet Hisashi and retrieve her new robes. Follows Where There's Smoke, The Hunt, and The Tanner.

--------------------------

“Inuyasha, where are we going?” Kagome asked, a bit exasperated with her friend. According to the others, after she had returned home through the well he had disappeared for a few days without a word. When he returned, he wouldn't tell anyone where he had been. Instead he had gone down the well to her time.

She had been surprised to see him, wondering if something was wrong.

“No, nothing's wrong,” he had replied. “Just wanted to see what you were up to.”

Kagome blinked before realizing that he was probably hoping she was ready to return through the well. “I've been trying to catch up on some of my schoolwork.” She turned pleading eyes on the hanyou. “I was hoping I could stay for a few more days.”

Stay the week.”

Kagome did a double-take. He was actually going to let her remain in her time for a week? “Are you sure?”

Keh! I can be nice! I know how important your 'skool' is to you. But be ready to leave in a week, we have somewhere to be.”

She frowned at that but before she could open her mouth to ask, he had departed through her window.

She frowned again, remembering the visit. Why had he given her a week? It was so unlike the impatient hanyou. And where were they going? As soon as she had come through the well he had told the others that they would be back before throwing her onto his back and whisking her away from the village.

“I told you, we've got somewhere to be wench.”

Kagome rolled her eyes at his answer. “But you haven't told me where,” she pointed out.

“Keh! You'll see soon enough.”

Kagome sighed, knowing she wouldn't get anything else out of him.

A while later she finally felt him begin to slow his pace. 'Good, maybe I'll finally learn what is going on,' she thought. She slipped off of his back as he finally came to a stop in front of a cave. “Where are we?”

He gave her a large, toothy grin. “You'll see,” was all he said as he led her through the cave's dark entrance. “Oi, I'm back and I brought Kagome.”

Kagome frowned at that. Who could be expecting them here? As her eyes adjusted to the dim lighting, she took in all of the furs and other garments that covered all available surfaces. 'What is this place?'

A wrinkly head popped up from behind a mountain of furs. “Oh good. Well let's see her.”

Kagome stared at the strange youkai. “T-Totosai?” she asked uncertainly.

“No, I'm his brother, Hisashi. The better looking one,” he added with a wink.

She felt herself relaxing and turned to Inuyasha. “You brought me here to meet Totosai's brother? Why didn't the others come?”

“Not quite,” Hisashi laughed. “He brought you here for this.” He grabbed something from the pile behind him, holding it up with a flourish.

Kagome stared. It was beautiful. A deep red, the same as Inuyasha's fire-rat clothing, it contained lines of silver crisscrossing throughout the garment, creating a pattern not unlike an image of intertwined hands. “It's beautiful,” she murmured.

Hisashi beamed proudly as Inuyasha also gave it an approving look. “Well, go on,” he urged her. “Try it on.”

Kagome blinked. “Me?”

“Yes, it's your armor after all. Have to make sure it fits properly or it won't be able to do its job.”

“Huh?”

Hisashi frowned before turning to Inuyasha. “You didn't tell her?”
The hanyou fidgeted, his twitching ears betraying his nervousness. “I wanted to surprise her.”

“Well I'd say she's definitely surprised.” Hisashi snorted. He turned back to her. “It's made of fire-rat fur, just like this one's haori. He commissioned me to make it for you.”

Kagome stared between the garment and the hanyou, her eyes softening. “Inuyasha,” she said softly. “You didn't have to go to all that trouble, not for me.”

Inuyasha frowned at her. “What the hell you talking about now wench?! I promised I'd protect you. You won't wear my haori 'cause you think I need it, so I had to get you protection of your own.” He gestured at the garment Hisashi still held. “This is just another way for me to fulfill my oath of protection.” His face softened as his golden eyes stared into hers. “Plus, now you'll be able to sleep without worrying about a fire.”

“Inuyasha!” Kagome exclaimed as she threw herself at the surprised hanyou, wrapping her arms tightly around him. “Thank you,” she whispered.

“Keh.”

She gave him another squeeze before releasing him and turning to accept the garment from Hisashi. Pulling it on over her school uniform, she marveled at how soft it was and how perfectly it fit her. Extending down to her ankles, the robe conformed to her body without being too tight. She took a few steps, stretching this way and that. She was amazed at how it didn't restrict her movements at all.

“Very nice,” Hisashi said, as he examined the way it fit her with a critical eye. “And you'll notice that extra bit of cloth behind your neck,” he pointed out, watching as she reached back and grasped it. “Should you find yourself surrounded by flames, simply flip it up and it will protect your head and face. He said it was especially important to protect from fire so I added that bit in.”

Kagome did as he said, marveling at how the 'hood' covered her head without restricting her vision. “I don't know how to thank you,” she began.

“Oh, no thanks are needed, young lady, I was just doing my job. My reward was getting to meet the interesting young woman who has inspired this ruffian to go to these lengths. I can see what he sees in you. Any thanks should be given to him,” he gestured at the blushing hanyou.

Inuyasha cleared his throat, trying to push away his embarrassment. “Come on, the others are waiting for us.” He started to lead Kagome out of the cave. He stopped at the exit. “You do good work,” he said to the old youkai before continuing his exit.

Hisashi merely chuckled.

Outside, Kagome stopped Inuyasha before they could continue. “Why?” she asked.

“I told you, to help keep my oath to protect you. This is my affirmation of that oath, my way of keeping you safe. You know how I feel about promises. Besides,” he shifted his eyes away, staring into the distance. “I don't know what I'd do if something happened to you. At least this way, you have some protection should I not be able to reach you in time. And part of me is always guarding you, protecting you this way.” At her confused look he elaborated. “The silver lines? That's my hair,” he stated proudly. “It also contains some of my blood and a bit of my haori.” He showed her where the strip had been cut.
Her eyes widened at the lengths he had gone to to protect her. “Inuyasha-” she started.

“And now you won't have to worry about a campfire,” he interrupted her, not sure he was ready for whatever she'd been about to say.

Kagome frowned before deciding to let it be. 'For now.' She gave him a smile. “Thank you,” she said instead, leaning up to give him a kiss on the cheek.

Both blushed slightly, then Inuyasha pulled her onto his back. “We better hurry. I don't want to hear whatever perverted idea the bouzu comes up with if we don't get back soon.” He started running in the direction of Kaede's village. Kagome simply laid her head on his shoulder and smiled.