InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ History ❯ History ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Summary: The binding was old and crumbling, and the pages yellowed. It's title? The Legend of the Shikon no Tama.
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha in any way, shape, or form. (I don't even have a plushie). That belongs to Viz and Rumiko Takahashi.
 
History: A One-Shot
 
I was walking in the bookstore today when, suddenly, a book caught my attention. The binding was old and crumbling, and pages yellowed. It's title? The Legend of the Shikon no Tama.
 
I buy it - how could I not? I think that storekeeper, and old man, and the pages crinkle in my grasp as I save the few dollars needed to buy a grocery bag and rush home.
 
I devour it that night, and I am disappointed. The actual legend that they have apparently come up with from different versions is almost twenty pages long, but the letters are large and the content is flimsy.
 
What hurts most of all is that it does not mention me. It only speaks of a long-dead priestess awakened from the grace to be reunited with her love and to fight at his side. There is no reincarnation in this story, no witch to steal half her soul and imprison it within a clay pot.
 
Sango, Miroku, Kirara, and Shippou are all here. Not named, perhaps, but mentioned. Taken note of - their contributions to the survival of the world as we know it accepted and duly noted. Kaede is here, and so, of course, if Naraku. Even Kagura and Kanna are listed here.
 
But not I. There is no mention of the soul-stealers, no mention of the girl who traveled through a portal hidden within the Bone-Eater's Well. They do not mention that “Kikyou” is a dead soul trapped in clay - and they do not say that she lives only to kill Inuyasha.
 
I hug the book to my chest and I cry. It hurts that I am not remembered. It hurts that I play no part, that I was lost in the telling of the story. That hurts, more than anything.
 
The book falls out of my limp grasp, and falls to the floor. I bend over to pick it up, and I realize that this page I have not read. It is one of the alternative legends, this one from a family that claims to be descended from taijyas and houshis. Through my tears, I read the paragraph.
 
Another version of the story claims that though Kikyou was alive and with him once more, Inuyasha disdained her company and wanted no part of her. He sent her back to Hell, and lived alone for the rest of his long life, caring for the Shikon no Tama, which was never purified. Curiously, it claims he never strayed far from the Bone-Eater's Well, and he never spoke of Kikyou again, only of a Kagome. Kagome, and the color blue.
 
I smile, blinking away tears.
 
History didn't remember me.
 
Inuyasha did.