InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Home Is Where the Heart Is ❯ Home Is Where the Heart Is ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi.
 
This was written for the April Edition of the MediaMiner.org Maximum Challenge Drabble Contest.
Drabbles must be exactly 500 words long.
The Story Type must be "Vignette"
The theme for the contest is "Home at Last"
 
Home Is Where the Heart Is
 
InuYasha leaned heavily against Goshinboku and closed his eyes, releasing his breath slowly. So much had happened and there was so much to think about. The battle with Naraku was finally past, and the dark hanyou had been defeated and banished to Hell. Though it had been three weeks, it seemed like yesterday. Yesterday that he and Kagome defeated him with the help of his brother, the monk and the taijiya; yesterday that Miroku's cursed hand had sealed; yesterday that he and his brother made peace with one another. Yet something was missing - something was nagging at the back of his brain telling him that he'd overlooked something important.
 
Kagome had run to him and hugged him before awkwardly releasing him. He wanted so badly to wrap his arms around her, but was too embarrassed to in front of the others. As it was, Miroku had swept Sango off of her feet and into a searing kiss. He then announced they would be married immediately and settle down. They would build a house in the village. When Kagome quietly asked Sango about the abandoned taijiya village, the slayer sadly shook her head. It no longer felt like home to her, and there were too many memories for her to be able to return as of yet. Here is where she would build her life and her family with Miroku.
 
Home. Just where was home for InuYasha? He shook his head, though there was no one to see him. His forest was where he was most comfortable, but was that home? Sesshomaru had quietly given him an open invitation to the Western Lands, but the hanyou did not feel that he belonged there or that he ever would. He might take him up on the offer and go visit, but he couldn't see hanging around his brother that much. Yes, they had come to terms with one another and agreed they would no longer fight, but InuYasha knew they would still get on each other's nerves. It couldn't be helped. How did Kagome put it? They were opposite sides of the same coin.
 
Kagome. The thought of the young miko made his heart race. She never wavered during the battle, not even when he was full youkai and had come after her. She led him away from the cursed jewel and brought him back to himself when he thought all was lost. Her very touch returned him to his hanyou self, and then together they went after Naraku.
 
He heard soft footsteps approach, and he opened his eyes. He couldn't help but to inhale her soothing scent.
 
“Hey, InuYasha. Do you want to come home with me?” She was smiling at him.
 
The hanyou nodded as he stood to join the miko. He finally understood the phrase he'd heard in her time, “Home is where the heart is.”
 
He was with Kagome at last; his heart belonged solely to her. As long as he was with her, he was home.
 
 
*finis*