InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Human Heart ❯ Human Heart ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

 
Human Heart
 
Don't own Inu and company!
 
 
She couldn't count how many times people told her that she was Kikyo's reincarnation, she'd learned fairly soon to block it out, but the was one person that when they said it she couldn't ignore the words.
 
It was impossible to ignore the woman that everyone told her she was the reincarnation of. She could handle the part of having the same soul, being able to use the same weapon, heck she could even handle having the exact same duties. What she couldn't handle was loving the same person.
 
Kagome stared into the camp fire, Miroku, Sango, and Shippo were all off hunting a demon that rumor had spread was attacking a wealthy village, which meant it just left her and Inuyasha to hunt for the jewel shards.
 
Not that she minded, but she'd been avoiding Inuyasha for several days to try and keep from falling in love even farther, it was a futile attempt at best, but she wouldn't be permitted to stay longer than she was needed.
 
“Oi! Kagome, is the shard anywhere near here?” Inuyasha called as he walked out from behind the trees where he'd been sulking as the others had explained the reason for leaving and then left.
 
He noticed that Kagome was staring into the fire, her elbows were on her knees and her chin was in her hands. She looked extremely thoughtful; he noticed she kept pushing her hair out of her eyes and face.
 
He growled angrily when she didn't answer him, she heard the growl and looked up at him surprised she hadn't heard him come into the camp.
 
She ignored him yet again, she couldn't look him in the eye without thinking all he saw in her was Kikyo, he her confrontation with the reanimated priestess came to mind.
 
FLASHBACK!
 
 
Kagome ambled through the forest, admiring the red and gold leaves of the fall. Soon the trees would be bare and she was going to admire the beauty before all the trees went bare for winter.
 
Suddenly there was a sharp pain in Kagome's chest and she almost immediately knew why, Kikyo was nearby, and sure enough suddenly the priestess was standing in front of Kagome.
 
“So….you…have you truly captured Inuyasha's heart?” the priestess asked in her soft monotone.
 
Kagome just wanted to get away, for some reason whenever she was around Kikyo her entire body would suddenly hurt, especially her chest, and she could never figure out why.
 
“What are you talking about? The only things I have are Inuyasha's precious jewel shards! You're the one he's promised to!” Kagome collapsed to her knees as the pain got worse.
 
“You and I are the same, Kagome. We both are intertwined into the fate of the jewel….if it becomes tainted you will die, if it is purified you will become a normal woman, and if it is destroyed you also will be destroyed.
 
“That is forever the fate of the Shikon-no-Miko…you realize that and yet you stand by Inuyasha knowing if he becomes full demon by using the jewel you will perish.” Kikyo said softly.
 
“Then I'll die knowing Inuyasha is happy.” Kagome said looking up at Kikyo who seemed startled by her words.
 
“You and I are the same and yet we are as different as can be…I'll let you live a little longer.” and with that Kikyo disappeared and along with her went the pain Kagome had been feeling.
 
END
 
 
Kagome was still in a daze from the encounter, her entire life rested in Inuyasha's hands and he didn't even know it! If he became a full demon she would die.
 
But if he wished to become human, she'd live but he'd be unhappy and if they destroyed the jewel completely she would cease to exist forever.
 
She finally looked at Inuyasha who was once again sulking because she'd ignored him, she couldn't hold the question in any longer, she had to know if only for her peace of mind.
 
“What do you see when you look at me?” she asked when he realized that she had been staring at him.
 
“What do you mean?” he asked confused, she sighed, she might have loved him but he acted so naïve sometimes that it drove her bonkers.
 
“Do you see me? Or someone else?” she asked not so tactfully, she could hear his clothes rustle as he stiffened; he always did that when Kikyo was brought into a conversation.
 
“Silly….I see Kagome….why are you asking?” he asked suspiciously, they'd been over this a thousand times; Kagome gave a small laugh that held no humor.
 
“You could say I that I found out that you're the one that decides if I live or die.” She whispered, this time he actually stood up, but she remained where she was, staring into the camp fire.
 
“What gives you that idea? If I wanted to kill you all you'd have to do would sit me and get away.” Inuyasha snapped angrily while wondering how Kikyo was connected to this conversation.
 
“Inuyasha….it isn't a matter of wanting to kill me…but a matter of what happens to the jewel.” Kagome said her eyes never straying from the fire.
 
“You are making no sense!!! First you're talking about Kikyo, then death, and now the jewel!” Inuyasha growled, Kagome looked up at him and he stumbled back. There in her eyes was the look he remembered from fifty years ago. Kikyo's look.
 
“Inuyasha, she told me….she said that once the jewel was completed there were three things that could happen to it…and me. If it becomes tainted you will die, if it is purified you will become a normal woman, and if it is destroyed you also will be destroyed. Her words exactly.” She gave another laugh before the tears started to burn in her eyes.
 
“What?!” he cried, she looked up at him the fire light illuminating her features. Features that he had once despised with all his being but now they were something he would never be able to love without.
 
“You heard me…I know you did. Inuyasha, that's why…Kikyo wanted you to become human, if you did that you'd have saved her….but I'd rather die knowing you're happy than live and see you unhappy.” Kagome said turning her attention once again back to the fire as it gave off its warmth.
 
“Damn. Kagome, how could you think that?” he was standing in front of her glaring, she gulped as his eyes flashed dangerously red.
 
“I would give up my demon side gladly if it meant I could stay with you.” He growled pulling her up against his chest and hugging her as he had that day when he had sent her home thinking he had to, just to save her from Naraku and from the pain.
 
“Wh…what about your dream?” she asked into his chest, her nose was squished into his chest and she found her air supply being cut off.
 
“What's the point of being happy as a full demon when the only person I'd want to share it with would be dead?” he said.
 
“Inuyasha…..I can't breathe!!” Kagome said in a muffled voice. Inuyasha blushed before reluctantly letting her go and watching as she rubbed her nose making it turn a lively red.
 
“I'll become human.” he said seriously, Kagome looked up at him stunned.
 
“But…” she whispered before he put a finger over her lips and shaking his head no.
 
“No. I've protected you to long for some pink of glass to kill you now.” he growled angrily.
 
“Inuyasha.” she was shocked, he could tell by the small glint that was in her eyes, eyes he loved.
 
“Kagome, you're stronger than that. If becoming human is the only way to save you, I'll become a human.” he said.
 
“No! Don't use the stupid jewel! Let me protect it! I can, you know. Protect the jewel, I mean. Sure, so the first time I tried it the jewel ended up all over Japan but I've gotten better!
 
“I mean now any demon that comes near with evil intentions gets purified!” she said, she was babbling and she knew it.
 
But when he'd been talking and she'd seen something in his eyes, something that scared her. Because it had been the exact same look that he'd given her after making his pledge to Kikyo.
 
“Kagome…hush.” he put a finger on her lips and she gave a small gasp, he'd never acted so…loving before.
 
“Everything…it doesn't matter right now.” and with that he bent down and gently met Kagome's shocked lips.
 
* * * *
 
Naraku blew away into dust, making Kagome fall to the ground from where he'd been using her as a shield, saved by Kikyo's arrow, the priestess's words echoed in Kagome's head as Kikyo died peacefully in Inuyasha's arms as she had wanted.
 
`Our protector. You are what I had wished to be, Kagome. I leave him with you…heal the wounds that are in his heart.' her words faded into silence.
 
Kagome gasped as the jewel floated into her hands, whole and complete but…tainted. Pain shot through Kagome causing her to cry out and collapse onto her knees.
 
“Kagome!” Inuyasha was beside her and she turned her head, giving him a small smile.
 
“He's…gone.” was all she managed to get out before the pain spread throughout her entire body, she would've hit the ground if Inuyasha hadn't grabbed hold of her to support her.
 
“Kagome!” he cried before he truly looked at the jewel she was clutching so tightly. It was pitch black, but what really made his decision final was when he looked into Kagome's eyes.
 
The life was fading away and her eyes were going blank as tears welled up in them, he growled before taking the hand that held the jewel and he made his wish.
 
Dog-ears disappeared as white hair turned jet black, golden eyes faded into brown as claws retracted and fangs disappeared.
 
He watched the jewel flash a brilliant white before disappearing, but what caught his attention the most was Kagome's hazel eyes as they stared up at him.
 
They were staring at him, full of life and love, something he'd always wanted to see when she looked at him; he kissed her, putting arguments sure to come for some other time.
 
He'd saved her and that was all that mattered to him and his human heart.