InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I'm On The Outside ❯ Saying Good-Bye ( Chapter 21 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

AN: Here it is, the final chapter of “I'm On The Outside”. There is name added later in this chapter: Keitsuyoi which means strong/powerful (Kei- Strong, Tsuyoi- Powerful). I am currently debating writing a story of how Inuyasha's mother and father met, just because I intend on covering their family history a bit more in the sequel. Look for “I'm Looking In” in the next couple of days. I'm still working out the kinks. Please read the authors note following this chapter!
 
I don't own it…I think we all know that by now.
 
~ * ~
 
“Congratulations to our graduating class!”
 
Cheers burst through the crowd and graduation caps were thrown into the air. Many people laughed while covering their heads as their hats rained down on them. The seniors let their seats in search of the friends that they knew they might not ever see again.
 
At the back of the group several people wisely moved out of the way as a raven haired girl rain to her silver haired love.
 
Inuyasha laughed as Kagome threw herself into his arms. He had to take several steps back as the force of her body threw him off balance, much like it had when she used to do it when they were children. All around them their friends and family smiled and laughed pleased to see the two of them so deeply in love.
 
A gasp from behind them made Kagome and Inuyasha separate and turn. Miroku was currently bent down on one knee, a velvet box held up in front of him. Sango's right hand was pressed to her mouth in shock while he held her left.
 
“I honestly don't know why you're surprised; everyone else knew I'd probably do this.” Miroku teased her. “So, would ya?”
 
“Oh yeah that's romantic!” Inuyasha heckled.
 
“So says the man who yelled `Finally' at the end of Love Story.” Kagome said, rolling her eyes.
 
Sango laughed and nodded to Miroku who quickly slipped the ring on her finger. “You know this means you can't change your mind right?” He asked, picking her up and spinning her around.
 
“Hey, there's always the divorce option.” Sango teased. “Miroku stop spinning me before I puke all over you.”
 
The crowd laughed as Inuyasha slipped his hand into Kagome's and moved close to her ear. “Come with me.”
 
Kagome gave him a weird look but nodded. After saying goodbye to their families and promising Sango and Miroku that they'd meet up with them later, Inuyasha and Kagome walked to his car.
 
“Where are we going?” Kagome asked.
 
Inuyasha didn't answer, but it didn't take Kagome long to figure out where they were headed. Inuyasha pulled up to the curb before climbing out of his car. Kagome sat, staring at the gates of the cemetery, briefly wondering why they were here. Inuyasha startled her by opening the door and holding his hand out to her. He waited patiently for her to undo her seat belt before she grabbed his hand.
 
Kagome felt a little silly to be wearing her graduation gown while walking in the cemetery. She allowed Inuyasha to lead her through the rows of tombstones before they came across a large stone dog, a grave that Kagome had never seen before. She found the statue to be hauntingly beautiful, yet strange. It was surrounded by stone angels and lambs, marking the dead as innocent and cherished.
 
Inuyasha knelt down and brushed some stray leaves off the marker in the ground. Over his shoulder Kagome read the inscription. Keitsuyoi Tashio. Beloved mate, father and friend. You shall be forever missed my love.
 
“Hey dad.” Inuyasha said softly as Kagome knelt next to him.
 
In all the years that they had been friends, Inuyasha had never once brought her to the place where his father's remains lay. A quick glance around let her know that her own father's grave wasn't to far from where they were knelt and she wondered why she had never noticed this grave before.
 
“Dad, I brought someone with me that I think you would have loved to meet.” Inuyasha's voice broke through Kagome's thoughts. “This is Kagome; we met years ago when I was still a pup. She's been my best friend for years; it kind of amazes me that she's put up with me for so long.
 
“We're mates now pop. She's the best thing that ever happened to me. I feel so complete when she's with me.” Inuyasha said, bringing a blush to Kagome's cheeks. “I love her pop; I just wanted you to meet her.”
 
A soft breeze picked up and blew around the couple, mingling their hair in a beautiful combination of light and dark. “I think he's approving.” Kagome said with a grin. “Why did you bring me here?”
 
Inuyasha heaved a heavy sigh; his head was down, shielding his eyes from Kagome's gaze. “Mom told me that you're going to America to study.”
 
Kagome bit her lip and glared at the ground. She silently cursed her mother for telling Kohana her plan. “I wanted to be the one to tell you.” Kagome hissed. “I was waiting until after graduation.”
 
Inuyasha sighed and wrapped his arms around her. “Why didn't you tell me right away?”
 
“Because, I found out just after we became mates, and I knew you'd do something stupid.” Kagome told him.
 
“Stupid like what?”
 
“Like asking me if I want out of our bond.”
 
Inuyasha gave her a startled look, biting his lip nervously. “Do you?”
 
“No you moron!” Kagome yelled, momentarily forgetting where they were.
 
“What do you want me to say then Kagome?” Inuyasha asked.
 
“Tell me to stay here.” Kagome said sadly. “Tell me you forbid me to go and I'll stay here.”
 
Inuyasha's jaw dropped in shock. He hadn't expected her to say anything, let alone that. He shook his head and pulled Kagome to him, holding her tightly against his body. Kagome's hand fisted in his graduation robe as her tears finally fell free. She had been stressing out over this for weeks, wanting to go to America for the excellent opportunity she'd have, but wanting to stay with Inuyasha.
 
“I can't ask you to give that up for me.” Inuyasha said. “I waited 12 years for you; another few years won't kill me.”
 
“But what if you find someone else?” Kagome asked so softly that he almost missed her words.
 
“Don't worry Kagome, I promise that won't happen.”
 
They stayed in the cemetery holding onto each other desperately, as if hoping that if they held onto each other long enough they'd become one. A soft breeze continued to caress them as if Inuyasha's father sought to bring them some form of comfort of his own. After several long moments they made their way back to Inuyasha's car.
 
They didn't make it very far away from the cemetery before Inuyasha pulled the car over into an empty field. He climbed out and grabbed a blanket from his trunk, leading Kagome to a spot well away from the road. He spread the blanket out on the ground and proceeded to make love to her slowly, trying to ingrain every inch of her skin, every look, every feeling into his memory. He wanted to preserve the moment in his mind, to have something special to look back on when being separated from her became to much.
 
When they were finished they held each other tightly, basking in the after glow of their love making. Finally, as the sun started to set, they dressed and made their way to Miroku's house to celebrate Sango and Miroku's engagement.
 
The weeks that they had left together flew by like minutes, and they soon found themselves once again desperately clinging to each other, only this time at an airport. Kagome sobbed into Inuyasha's chest, while he stroked her hair and fought his own tears.
 
“I don't have to go; I can go to school here just as easily!” She sobbed.
 
Inuyasha shook his head and pushed her away slightly so he could look her in the eye. “No, you need this. We've been together practically everyday since we were six years old. This will give you a chance to be on your own and live your own life.”
 
Kagome let out another sob and threw herself back against Inuyasha. “I don't want that though! I was so stupid to apply to an American school.”
 
“Last call for passengers of flight 822 to New York.” A voice announced over the speakers.
 
Inuyasha pulled away from Kagome and led her over to the gate. “Just think that you're only going to be gone for a few weeks, it'll make the time go by faster.”
 
Kagome sniffled and wiped her tears away. “You're a bad liar.” She told him. “I'm going to miss you so much.”
 
Inuyasha smiled softly and rubbed the pad of his thumb over her cheeks, wiping away any traces of tears. “Don't worry about us. What we have, it's forever and nothing will ever change that.”
 
Kagome nodded and pulled his head down to kiss him. When she finally pulled away she had fresh tears falling down her cheeks and saw his eyes shimmering with unshed tears. She kissed him one last time before pulling away, taking a backward step towards the gate.
 
“I love you.” She whispered.
 
“I love you too.”
 
Kagome bit her lip to keep in a heart wrenching sob. She finally turned and handed the girl at the counter her ticket before heading into the plane.
 
She settled herself into her seat and stared out the window towards the terminal, desperately searching for any sign of silver hair. “I've never seen someone so upset about going to New York.”
 
Kagome turned to face the elderly woman who sat next to her. “It's the leaving part that's hard. I feel like I've left a piece of me behind.”
 
The older lady smiled at her. “Don't worry child, I saw you and your boyfriend in the terminal. If you two are in love as much as I think you are, you'll be fine.”
 
Kagome smiled at the woman and thanked her for her kind words. The older woman began to ask Kagome questions, hoping to get her mind off her breaking heart. Kagome told her what school she would be going to, her plans to study youth care and counselling, and all about Inuyasha. She didn't know why she was telling the old woman so much information, but it was soothing to have someone to confide in.
 
“I own a house that I rent out rooms to college students. It's a good 30 minutes from your school, but it will be quieter, and you can keep this old woman company.” The woman told her. “How about you give up your dorm room and stay at my house, I still have several rooms open.”
 
“That's so kind of you.” Kagome said. “I don't even know your name and you're offering me so much.”
 
“My name's Kaede.”
 
Kagome smiled and took the woman's outstretched hand. “Kagome Tashio. You have a boarder Kaede.”
 
Kaede smiled and put her seat back. “Get some sleep Kagome, you'll be starting your new life soon enough.”