InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Need You ❯ A Conspiracy And A Conclustion ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha, its characters or any quotes I may use.
 
 
CHAPTER SIX: A CONSPIRACY AND A CONCLUSION
 
Rin paced her bedroom floor, racking her brain to think of a good way out of tonight. Saturday night. The night she had a date with Linda, and the guys from school.
Sighing heavily she threw herself on her bed and stared up at the ceiling. She had an hour till Linda was coming and the guys would arrive two hours after that. Rolling to her side, she propped herself up on one elbow and looked out the window. It wasn't dark yet, but the sun was setting low and cast a dark shadow into her room.
My tree”.
Sitting up she swung her legs over and stood. Walking over to her window she pulled the curtains back and looked down at her beloved tree. “What's so special about you? How come I find a soulful peace when I'm next to you? What do you have that I need?”
Letting the curtain dropped she moved back to the middle of the floor and continued her previous pacing.
 
Directly below Rin, InuYasha was making a similar pace.
When Kagome and Rin told him about Rin's date he fell off his chair, literally; earning him a reproachful look from Kagome and a small laugh from Rin.
InuYasha then nodded and agreed with Kagome that it was a good idea.
Now the night had come and he wasn't so confident with his previous answer. Chewing on his lower lip he paced the kitchen with his hands clasped behind him.
“Something wrong InuYasha?”
InuYasha snapped out of his thoughts and looked over to see Grandfather standing in the doorway.
“No” InuYasha answered. “Not really.”
Grandfather raised his eyebrows, “Not really heh?”
InuYasha nodded, then sighed and shook his head, “It's Rin.”
Grandfather tensed and frowned, “What's wrong? Is she alright?”
“No. I mean of course she is. Nothing wrong with her. I just…” InuYasha trailed off.
“I see.” Grandfather nodded, “This is about her date tonight, isn't it?”
InuYasha nodded.
“I just don't feel...as confident about as I did before. I'm feeling very suspicious and I don't think I want her to go.”
Grandfather suddenly appeared at InuYasha's side, a strange grin of his face and a wild look in his eye, “You too?”
InuYasha blinked, “Me too? You mean you don't like it either?”
Grandfather nodded, “Yep. And I've got a plan. A way to, make sure we can keep an eye on here. Keep her safe.”
InuYasha frowned thoughtfully, “I see. You do mean spy on her, don't you?”
“Weeelll...Yes. If you must call it that, then yes I mean spy on her.”
InuYasha grinned and threw his arm around Grandfather's shoulders, “Tell me what you're thinking.”
 
Kagome, Sango and Miroku arrived at the house the same time Linda did.
“Hello Linda!” Kagome greeted.
“Hello Kagome. Sango. Miroku.” Linda bowed to each of them.
Since she and Rin had become friends all the adults insisted that she call them by their first name.
“Rin's here right?”
Kagome nodded, “As far as I know. She's probably at the Tree of Ages. You gonna help her get ready?”
“Oh yeah” Linda laughed, “She needs my help.”
Waving goodbye she ran around to the back of the shrine.
Miroku frowned, “What's going on?”
Sango turned to her husband, “Oh, you don't know? Rin has a date tonight.”
Miroku raised an eyebrow, “With a boy?”
Kagome and Sango laughed, “Of course with a boy. Who else?”
“Does InuYasha know?”
Kagome nodded and opened the front door, “Of course. He said he was fine with it. Oh no!”
Sango looked surprised, “What's wrong?”
“I forgot the pies!”
Sango turned to go and Miroku made a face, “Do I have to go with you again?”
“No. Stay here with InuYasha.” Kagome answered as she went back to the car.
Sango followed, “Yeah, we'll be back soon.”
The door shut leaving Miroku alone in the entryway.
Walking down the hallway he frowned. It was quite; too quite.
“InuYasha?”
A door opened and InuYasha stuck his head out, “What?” he hissed.
“What are you doing?” Miroku peeked into the dark room, “Are you in trouble again?”
“Why?”
“Because you're sneaking around, in your own house.” He tilted his head, “Are you sure you're okay with Rin's date?”
InuYasha's eyebrows rose, “You know about it?”
“Yes.”
“And how do you feel about it?”
Miroku shrugged, “I don't know. I guess I'm a little concerned. Why?”
“Ah ha! Another!” A voice from the dark room exclaimed wildly.
Miroku leaned forward, “Grandfather? What are you doing?”
“Get him.”
InuYasha grabbed Miroku by the front of his shirt, yanked him into the room and shut the door.
 
Linda walked around the house and called Rin's name “Rin? You out here?”
“Over here” Rin said softly.
Linda looked over to the tree “What are you doing?”
Rin looked over her shoulder from her spot beneath the tree, “Just thinking.”
“About this old tree again?”
Rin smiled and nodded, “Yeah. I just don't understand it. I know it's just an old tree. But it's just very special to me.”
Linda laughed and walked over to her friend, “I know, I know. It's been the same way for…well, as long as I've known you.”
“Really?”
“Yeah. I mean, you know I don't believe in that sort of thing.”
Linda placed a hand on the trunk of the tree, “But you've always loved this tree. And almost seem to have a connection to it; as odd as that sound.” She made a face, “Especially coming from me.”
Rin smiled and looked back up at the tree, the branches wavy slightly in the breeze, “I just wish I knew what drew me. Or what's so important.”
Linda shrugged and pulled her friend to her feet, “Dunno. But we don't have time for that right now. We've only got a few hours to get ready.”
Rin winced, “We need more then that?”
Linda rolled her eyes and dragged Rin inside, “Of course. Daichi told me we need to dress up nice. So that means dresses!”
Rin made a face.
“And make-up. Oh and I'm doing your hair too.”
Rin groaned, “Oh goody.”
 
Sesshomaru's eyes snapped open; she had left. He could no longer feel her presence, and it bothered him. They hadn't spoken in days; he was just content to sit under the tree and feel her near.
He knew it was the child. But what upset him was he couldn't understand what it was about her that bought him to the same spot everyday.
He was a great demon lord; one who had no need for such foolishness.
And yet here I sit.”
He stood and walked to the clearing where he had left Jaken and Ah'Un. Both were resting peacefully and only the two-headed dragon heard its master approach.
“Jaken”
Jaken cried out and leaped to his feet, “M-my lord! You have returned!”
“Let's go Jaken” Sesshomaru said, his voice emotionless, though many raged inside.
“Yes Milord! Your humble servant comes!”
Walking through the forest Sesshomaru thought back on his actions for the past 8 years. “Why did I start to come here? After so many years, did I finally find a place to have a sort of peace? Why then, 8 years ago?”
“I sent Rin to the human girl's world 8 years ago” he mused.
“Milord?” Jaken rushed to walk beside Sesshomaru, “Is something the matter milord?”
Sesshomaru didn't look down, just continued his steady pace. One that was as constant and steady as his own heart beat.
His face remained calm, yet his mind raced, “But why would she bring this peace? I did not feel it before.”
Perhaps” a small voice in the back of his mind prompted, “You have fallen in love with the girl.”
This thought startled Sesshomaru so much he stopped abruptly, causing Jaken to run into him.
“Oh my apologies Milord! I did not see you had stopped!”
Jaken continued to babble on but Sesshomaru paid him no mind.
In love? With a human? Impossible.”
Is it? You cared for her as a child, have followed her through her years. Why should you not love her? Why should you not love-”
The demon lord felt his heart skip a beat.
“Rin.”
 
“Rin?”
Kagome closed the door behind her while balancing 3 pies, “InuYasha?”
She walked into the kitchen, “Grandpa? Miroku? Anybody here?”
Kagome set the pies down and frowned, “Where could they be?”
She'd dropped Sango off at her house so she could arrange a babysitter for the children.
Since Rin was going to be out on a date, Sango and Kagome wanted to have a nice evening with their husbands as well. Yanna and Kit were at Kagome's mothers and Sango was going to get the neighbor girl to watch Taro, Kohana, Akira and Cho.
Kagome strained to listen as she heard murmured voices coming from down the hall. Quietly walking down the hallway, Kagome stopped outside the storage room, the light was off, but she could hear voices; men's voices.
Curious to know why the three of them would be in there with the light off, Kagome pressed her ear to the door.
“..some nice restaurant…”
“…Can we interrogate?”
“…not…just…. make contact. Observation only…”
“What…Kagome and Sango?”
“They….out…can't tell….anything…”
Kagome stood up straight. She only could hear snatches of their conversation, but she knew her husband and her family well enough to know what they were planning.
Kagome's eyes hardened, “There is no way I'm letting you ruin Rin's first date.”
She walked back down the hallway as quietly as she had come; picking up the phone she hit speed dial and waited.
“Hi Kaede. How are you?….I'm sure I sound mad. Because I'm furious…..Well I just over- heard our husbands talking….Yes, the only outcome I can see is trouble…. Let me tell you what I heard then I need to you call Sango.”
A few minutes later Kagome hung up the phone and went to chop vegetables. Violently.
 
Half an hour past and InuYasha came waltzing into the kitchen, “Hello my love.”
He bent down to give Kagome a kiss but she turned her head and moved away.
InuYasha frowned, “What's wrong?”
Kagome stared stirring a pot, “What's wrong?” she echoed.
“Yeah, are you angry at me? Did I do something?”
“Not yet. But you're planning on it!”
InuYasha jumped as Kagome spun around, spoon in hand; which she shook angrily in his direction. “You wanna tell me what you, Miroku and Grandfather were doing in the storage room?”
InuYasha smiled nervously, “Organizing?”
“With the lights off?!”
InuYasha gulped, “Oh shit.”
Kagome glared at InuYasha, “Oooohh! If you still wore those enchanted beads I'd `sit' you into the next century!”
InuYasha winced as she slammed the refrigerator door and pointed to the living room. “Get yours and your accomplice's asses in there now!”
InuYasha, Miroku and Grandfather meekly filed into the living room and waited. InuYasha had informed them they had been found out, and they were getting a little scared.
Kagome was so mad she couldn't even speak; she just stood there glaring at her husband with her arms folded tighly.
Then suddenly she exploded.
And she let them have it.
“How could you guys even think about doing this? Spying on Rin on her first date? Are you insane? Have you no manners? I thought you two” she jabbed a finger at the younger men, “Had learned better then this! I am appalled you would even consider this!”
She turned to InuYasha who took a deep breath and squeezed his eyes shut.
“She's your daughter for crying out loud. Don't you have the decency to respect your own daughter's privacy? If you were so against the idea, you should have said something in the beginning, instead of sneaking around behind everyone's back!”
Kagome whirled on Miroku who sputtered to defend himself, “Now look Kagome. We only had Rin's best interest-”
“Don't you `now look Kagome' me!” she roared.
Miroku and InuYasha both gulped and coward father into the couch.
Kagome's head snapped up and she glared at the hallway, “And just where do you think you're going?”
Grandfather paused and paled slightly, “Oh dear” he muttered before sitting next to InuYasha on the couch again.
Kagome attacked him next. “Rin is your great-granddaughter. Just what the hell where you thinking?! You're the elder here. You're supposed to be setting a good example for these two, not egging on this stupid behavior!”
She shook a finger at the three of them, “I'm ashamed of all of you!”
The front door slammed shut and Miroku flinched, “We're dead….”
Sango and Kaede walked in, both looking rather angry.
All three men hung their heads and sighed deeply.
It was going to be a long night.
 
 
A/N: Please Review!