InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Wanted to Make a Long Title That Had No Real Connection to the Story and Here It Is ❯ Chapter 13

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 13
 
“I'm to escort you to the caves, Milady.”
 
“Sure, sure whatever you say Gambling.” Kagome tried to push past Théoden's soldier but was held back by hands on her shoulders. Glancing behind her she saw several more soldiers, weapons concealed but no doubt ready to hold her back if Gambling gave the order. Kagome attempted to shrug out of the grasp but two more men came forward to hold her arms to her side. In the short time that she was held captive she decided that for her to be able to help Rohan, someone would have to help her. Or kill Théoden, she didn't really care.
 
Gambling continued to stare at her, watching her watch him. Neither spoke for several seconds. “My apologies, Lady Kagome, but it is the will of my King to have you put in the caves, and I must do as my King wishes.”
 
“You don't always have to listen to him.” Kagome stared deeply into his eyes leaning forward slightly only to be pulled back roughly. “You know that by putting me in the caves we have a lower chance of winning this battle. Hardly anyone going to fight can. You know that you're making a bad choice and for the wrong reasons.” Gambling looked away, too ashamed to meet her eyes. “Let me go, Gambling. For the good of the people, let me go…”
 
He closed his eyes a pained expression upon his face. Bringing his hand up to his eyes he lightly shook his head, “I'm sorry, Lady Kagome, but it is better to have lost one warrior than to have lost two.” Kagome sighed in defeat, knowing that she could never over power the guards standing around her; ready to attack whenever she tried to escape.
 
She sadly looked away from his eyes and whispered, “I'm sorry you feel that way Gambling.”
 
“Take her to the caves.” Gambling was forced to turn away as the elf was lifted off her feet and carried to the caves, most of the men returning to their station on the wall. He knew Théoden was only sending her with the women and children because she questioned his methods as King. Unfortunately, he and all the other King's men knew that by sending her away that not everyone would survive the night. Unfortunately Gambling also knew that if he were to disobey the King's orders it would mean his life was forfeit and both he and the elf would be killed. The most he could hope for now would be for someone to come looking for her during the battle.
 
Kagome sighed as she watched the guard who was holding her off the ground. “I'm not going to run off if you set me on the ground. Seriously, give me some credit. I haven't tried to resist being taken to the caves since Gambling said I had to go.” The guard glanced down but continued walking, Kagome's upper arms still firmly held in his hands. “If you set me on my feet you can even grab my arms and lead me there. I'm not going to try and escape.” He looked at her again. “You should know that I'm going to be doing bad things to your King once this battle is over. He should have known better than to lock me up during this important of a battle.”
 
The guard sighed, but let her on her feet none the less; moving his hands to her shoulders, lightly gripping to guide her along. “Lady Kagome, you do know that there is no one around to see you being taken to the caves. You could escape and still fight in the battle.”
 
“Thank you for letting me down. And yes, I know, the walls are strangely quiet; although that probably means the battle is about to start.” Kagome tapped her chin. “But even if I were to attempt an escape, you would try and stop me. Unfortunately, you're several times larger than me and not to play myself down - because I am a wonderful warrior - but you would be able to over power me so easily. Either way I would have to go to the caves.” He nodded and they walked in silence for several seconds before Kagome spoke again; this time, with a request. “Can I ask a favor of you?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Would you try and find Aragorn or Legolas, even the Dwarf if you can't find anyone else. Would you tell them to get down to the caves and let me out?”
 
“Of course, Lady Kagome.” The guard opened the door and lightly pushed Kagome's shoulders to have her walk in to the room. He started to close the door but before it closed completely he heard the beginning of a new conversation; one that would probably involve several threats to his King.
 
“Your uncle is the stupidest person I have ever met! I hope he doesn't die in this battle so that I can kill him when I get out of here! He won't be able to -” And for once, he didn't care; he completely agree with the woman.
 
 
Aragorn walked back and forth along the wall behind Gimli and Legolas, eyes searching for his sister. “Why isn't she here you? She said she'd be here at nightfall.” Legolas turned around and stopped Aragorn with a hand on his shoulder.
 
“She must have gotten stuck fixing her belt or chain mail. Don't worry, she'll be here soon. I'm sure.”
 
Gimli also turned around, “Besides this isn't the time to be worrying about her, you should be concerned about the thousands of Uruk-hai that are coming this way;” Gimli scoffed. “not that we have reason to be worried, but if Théoden doesn't worry about it, somebody has to.” Aragorn nodded and sighed, eyes searching one more time before walking off to give commands.
 
Show them no mercy! For you shall receive none!” He stood on the wall, overlooking the many enemies that they would soon be facing; half a mind still worrying about his sister.
 
An arrow was shot, striking an Uruk-hai in the neck. “HOLD!” Aragorn shouted, and his hand rose. Looking over his shoulders he noticed that none of the elves were the ones to fire the arrow. A yell came from below, followed by more from upset Uruk-hai; enraged enough, the groups of Uruk-hai started racing forward. “Prepare the fire!” The elves effortlessly held up their bows and strung an arrow; aiming at an enemy below.
 
Legolas spoke calmly with a smirk, “Their armor is weak at the neck and beneath the arm.
 
“Release arrows!” Aragorn shouted, swinging his hand forward to give the signal. All around him arrows went quickly through the air striking the Uruk-hai. The men fired too, aim less accurate, yet still killing the creatures.
 
The Uruk got closer and closer to the wall, putting up ladders in order the breach the towering stone walls. Aragorn almost laughed when he heard Gimli rejoice with the new development; but he only grinned and shouted that swords would be needed.
 
More ladders were propped up against the wall and an uncountable number of Uruk-hai started climbing up. Gimli and Legolas stationed themselves at ladders to kill all that attempted to climb up. Aragorn shook his head and kicked a ladder down as it came closer to touching the wall. In the distance he saw an Uruk with a torch running toward an opening in the wall. He turned in Legolas' direction and yelled, “Bring him down Legolas!” He pointed at the Uruk-hai and Legolas shot in that direction. “Kill him! Kill him!” Legolas shot again, but the Uruk jumped as far as he could, destroying that part of the wall; sending Aragorn flying into the path of the Uruk.
 
 
Kagome lifted her head from her hands while she sat against the locked door, the door that held her freedom on the other side. Many women gasped as the explosion reached their ears, and held on tighter to their children seeking the knowledge that their husbands and sons were safe, yet only being able to hope as seconds passed by slower than a lifetime.
 
Eowyn sat next to Kagome on the floor. “That doesn't sound pleasant.” The half elf sighed almost too quiet for Eowyn to hear.
 
“I wish I knew what was going on out there. I feel so useless, and fighting is my element. Meaning no offense you should know that I hate your uncle more than I did a day ago, or a week ago.”
 
Eowyn shook her head, “I'm starting to lose faith in him also.”
 
Time passed and screams were heard from both sides of the door. The women sat in silence as they watched the children cry in their mother's arms; not knowing why they were crying but feeling the depression and sadness in the room, not knowing that some of their family wouldn't be returning.
 
The heavy emotion was making Kagome sick and making her more desperate to leave. She rested her head back in her arms and sighed when she heard Eowyn stand to assist her people.
 
Screams broke the silence as a loud `boom boom' noise encased the large room. “They're breaking in!” The sentence instilled so much fear into the women's hearts that the sobbing became louder and screams echoed. Kagome involuntarily pushed her back against the door, attempting to create space between her and the fear. When her body suddenly was lying on the ground she was rather surprised, Am I really that strong? she didn't even have time to think before Gambling was stepping over her form and was jogging over to Eowyn. The depression Kagome felt suddenly turned to anger as she realized that Théoden wasn't able to protect his people and needed to get the women and children out of the caves safely.
 
Gambling stopped talking to Eowyn and spoke loudly while directing the women. “Grab you children and make to the back of the caves!” Kagome didn't pay much attention after that as she turned around and grabbed the door frame to stand up. She rushed into the keep to find Aragorn yelling at Théoden.
 
“What can men do against such reckless hate?”
 
“Well, for starters, you can not lock up one of the best warriors in the caves. It's very rude.” Kagome spoke with malice in her voice but walked to Aragorn's side, squeezing his hand as his eyes displayed shock, before glaring the King. Théoden looked down.
 
Even after learning where his sister had been, Aragorn continued to boost Théoden's confidence. “Ride out with me, with us. Ride out and meet them.”
 
“For death and glory?”
 
“For Rohan. For your people.”
 
“The sun is rising.” Gimli commented.
 
Kagome pondered for a moment. “Doesn't that mean Gandalf should be here soon?” Aragorn nodded.
 
“Yes.” Théoden said, “the horn of Helm Hammerhead shall sound in the Deep, one last time.”
 
Gimli smiled, “Yes!” And ran off to find the horn.
 
Théoden began speaking again. “Let this be the hour, when we -”
 
“Hey,” Kagome interrupted, “It's great that you're finally making a good decision, but you can stop talking now.” Kagome jumped on the horse behind Aragorn and Théoden gave the orders for the gates to be opened. Riding down the ramp, they shoved Uruk-hai off and killed any the latched onto the horses. Reaching the bottom, everyone stopped and stared at the bright light on the top of the hill.
 
“I thought he'd never get here.” Kagome said, resting her head on Aragorn's shoulder. He chuckled and patted her leg, watching the Riders of Rohan charge down the hill.
 
A while later with all the Uruk-hai cleared out and the men off searching for their families, Kagome became confused. There was one person she couldn't find. After searching the wall and the Keep she set off to find Aragorn. “Aragorn?” Her brother turned to face her?
 
“Yes?”
 
“Where's Haldir?”
 
 
Well… It's taken me forever to dish out, and I'd like to formally apologize to those who I promised I'd get it out in a week (when did I say that? Three weeks ago?) I didn't and I only have one excuse tied neatly together with a shinny bow. My fathers wedding was about to happen and I don't type fast at all. Horribly slow actually, so when I said I'd have it done, I lied. Sorry again. Hope you enjoyed. And just so you know, I'm not guaranteeing that I'll have a chapter out in an amount of time, because I won't, so I'm not. I'll try, but absolutely not promises.
 
Bruce n' Charlie