InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Will Follow You Into The Dark ❯ Getting to Know You ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha, Takahashi does.
 
A/N: okay, since this fanfic started out so quickly and we didn't get a very deep look into Sango's character, this is a first bit we get to see of a past relationship she had. And don't worry; we'll be meeting her again in the future. And oh yah, in this fic, Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru are actually somewhat brotherly *gasp*
 
~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~*~**~**~**~*~**~**~**~*~**~**~**~**~*~** ~**~
 
I had the strangest dream. I saw Sesshoumaru, Inuyasha's brother, and his captors.
 
He was being held down, but Inuyasha, Miroku and I were fighting to save him.
 
I had my bow and arrow and was shooting magnificently, which was a dream in itself, but what was unsettling was that the others seemed changed.
 
Miroku had his head bowed with his hood up. His hand was a fist, however his pointer and middle finger fit together, pointing to the sky, and he was chanting in a foreign tongue in a low voice.
 
Inuyasha was beside him, and his head was bowed as well, but he was growling, and his hands were flexed, showing off the large tendons in his hands and arms.
 
I caught a flash of his eyes, which had turned to a red and turquoise hue, and large purple stripes had appeared on his face.
 
My dream quickly turned into a nightmare, as Inuyasha leapt forward, killing everyone, including Miroku and Sesshoumaru and then quickly turned to me.
 
His eyes held a hellish glint as he started a slow stalk towards me, as a lion would its prey.
 
He was suddenly airborne, and I was ready to feel the impact when my foot started trembling violently.
 
I looked down at my foot and couldn't comprehend why it was moving of it's own accord when suddenly I heard, “Princess, Princess! Stupid wench!”
 
Well, I wonder who that could be…
 
I awoke with a start, and sat up quickly, sending my head reeling. My sight finally leveled, and there was Inuyasha, looking nothing short of pissed as he finally stopped shaking my foot.
 
So much for thinking he had changed after last night.
 
“Dammit bitch I thought I'd have to shake your foot all damn morning! Bout time you woke up!” He spun away in a huff, leaving the flap to the tent to close quickly.
 
“Drama queen.” I muttered.
 
“What was that, WENCH?” I heard Inuyasha accuse from outside.
 
I shook my head dumbfounded, “How in Kami's name could you hear me?” I was sure I had whispered that insult.
 
The tent flap opened yet again, and the peeved Inuyasha pointed to his ears on top of his head, which now flicked dramatically to emphasize his point. “Dog demon, remember now?”
 
“Only half” I replied. “Baka.” he added for good measure.
 
Yep, his disdain for me still had not changed, which didn't surprise me in the least. But there had to be more to it than just me being the reason for his brother's capture…or maybe not…That is actually something to be really mad about. Maybe he's just stressed out.
 
He let the tent flap close yet again and was back outside. I figured it was no use to just continue fuming, so I went outside to see if there was a meal I could score.
 
And to my disgust, there was breakfast, only in the form of a mangled rabbit. I turned to Inuyasha and questioned with my eyes, `Do I have to eat THAT?'
 
I saw an evil smirk appear on his face as he realized what I was silently asking and only said, “Eat up wench.”
 
I felt my stomach literally flip over, not only at the look of the meat, but also the smell. To change subjects, and also to delay when I would have to eat the rabbit, I asked, “Where's Miroku?” which was a valid question since he was nowhere to be found.
 
Another smirk appeared on the hanyou's face, as he had switched to whittling a small stick, “Oh, he's emptying the remains of last nights dinner out somewhere in the forest. Sake must have really gotten to him.”
 
“Eww, so he's sick then?” Without looking up, Inuyasha answered, “He'll be fine once he's done, but I figure it'll take him a day to settle out. He did finish one whole bottle by himself.” His smirk widened as he added, “That lecher never did learn.”
 
“What do you mean by that?” I asked, suddenly intrigued.
 
Inuyasha paused for a moment, and looked up at me. “Why do you want to know?”
 
“Well, I'm just getting to know his character better.”
 
“Fine, whatever. I'll enjoy telling this story anyways.” A thoughtful frown appeared again as he lowered his head to continue whittling and set out to tell the story.
 
“Miroku always was an `adventurous lecher'. Can't not grope a girl if she's within reaching distance. He's been like that ever since I've known him, but there was he got really attached to. Some lady named Sango.”
 
I let out a surprised gasp, “Sango Tamaku?”
 
He looked at me incredulously and said, “Yeah, I think that was her name, but anyways,” he continued, “he was `with' her one night,” I blushed at what he implied, “and he had gotten so drunk that he didn't wake up to see her off the next morning.”
 
“Actually,” he said with a laugh,” I think he was somewhat conscious but bid her farewell by the wrong name.”
 
At that he laughed outright, but continued, “She hasn't even tried to find him ever since, even though she knows he's part of the Warriors of Yamoto. Smart lady if I ever did see one.”
 
I let out a shaky chuckle, still not believing that Miroku had known Sango so intimately, and yet she had never let a word of this affair out!
 
And I had to be the closest to her than anyone. And here, Inuyasha knows before me!
 
“Sango was my maid back at the castle.”
 
“Feh, I know that. I also know that you have a brother Souta and that you can't shoot archery if your wimpy life depended on it.”
 
I felt my face grow hot with both embarrassment and anger. “What are you, a stalker?”
 
“No, but it is part of my duty to know almost everything about you so you are easier to protect. But let me tell you, nothing could have prepared me for babying you.”
 
“Well, SORRY if I'm such a burden you toad faced, pea brained, ba-“
 
“Now, now ladies, there's no need to get all touchy.” Miroku came swaying into the clearing clutching his stomach as if it was bothering him. His eyes also told me that he had been awake in the early hours relieving his stomach pains.
 
“Feh, nice to have you back lecher.” Inuyasha stated as if nothing had happened between us.
 
I was still giving Inuyasha a cold stare, but he had continued to ignore it and instead had went on in a conversation with Miroku, which I didn't have the slightest interest in hearing.
 
And so, I tried to go back inside, but I felt a firm hand grasp my wrist and spin me around. An amused smile was on Inuyasha's face as he asked, “Why, you're not going to leave your breakfast, are you?”
 
I felt a look of disgust pass over my face and I wanted nothing more than to slap that grin off his face, which had grown wider at my expression.
 
But, not wanting to back down from a challenge, I reached for the mangled piece of meat without breaking eye contact and took a small bite, which I immediately regretted, for the gamey taste was almost too much for me to bear. Nonetheless, I chewed it silently, as a smug look passed over Inuyasha's features, and I replied sarcastically, “Oh, thank you ever so much.”
 
I turned then and went inside to grab my cloak, for Inuyasha and Miroku mentioned that we should be getting on the road very soon, for there were still two days until we were to arrive at Zama.
 
Upon returning outside, I found that Inuyasha had donned his red cape again, as Miroku had donned his purple robes. They also had the horse ready to go and Inuyasha quickly wrapped up my tent and set it on the horse with me as we set off for the day.
 
~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~* *~**~
 
As we walked along the dreary path, I made light conversation with Miroku, since I was almost fed up with talking to Inuyasha. Hehe, rephrase that: DEFINETELY fed up with talking to Inuyasha.
 
And so, Miroku told me of his childhood and that he had grown up in Zama. “We weren't an especially rich family, since my parents had to raise eight children, including myself, but we got by.”
 
Miroku was a nice person to talk to, since he was very animated when telling of his hometown. “You see, the village is filled with mikos and monks, so there are many very interesting rituals that are performed for holy days. Many of the holy men are also skilled in tactics for slaying demons, which is why we are asking them to aid us in the fight against Naraku.”
 
“But enough about me, what of your life?” Miroku asked.
 
I gave out a large defeated sigh. “That bad, huh?” He asked.
 
“Sort of.” I ran a hand through my hair. “The worst was that I couldn't do anything by myself. I was scheduled for every activity in the day, and most likely, if there was no war and I was there right now, I'd probably be having my match for a groom picked out for me right now.”
 
“Ouch.” Miroku offered.
 
“Yeah, so you could say that this is somewhat of an enjoyable experience since I get to get away from that lifestyle. A little break you could say.”
 
“Well, I'm sorry, Princess Kagome-“
 
“Please, just Kagome.”
 
“Okay, well, Kagome, I'm glad you feel happy. I only wish you had better company.” Miroku pointed up the path to where Inuyasha was scouting for danger.
 
I gave a huff. “Him?” I tried to sound nonchalant, but inside I felt as if my sides would rip. How I wanted to just be accepted, no matter how much of a baka Inuyasha was.
 
But I said, “You are very good company, and because of that I can overlook his rudeness.”
 
“Please do not be caught off guard by his actions Kagome.” Miroku sighed, “He's very protective of himself because he's afraid that every new person he meets will reject him.”
 
He whispered in hopes that Inuyasha couldn't hear him, “You see, when he was little, he lived with his mother, but the rest of the village rejected him because of his heritage. He met the warriors at a young age, and learned to live with us, since his mother died and all, but his pride has been hurt ever since.”
 
I processed this information. “So he's not acting this way just because his brother has been captured?”
 
“No. He's merely deciding if he should expose his true self to you. You see, once he's opened himself up fully to a person, it means he fully trusts them. But that's hard to achieve with one who is so afraid to show who he really is.”
 
My heart constricted painfully at his next words, “In Inuyasha's heart, he still feels like a monster, since that is what he has been called his whole life.”
 
This would certainly affect how I saw Inuyasha from now on.
 
Wanting to change the subject desperately, I noted that Miroku had a bow and quiver of arrows attached to the horse's cargo.
 
And so, I had to ask, “Miroku, you have an interest for archery?” He smiled but shook his head, “No, that was always Inuyasha's craft, although he prefers using his sword, the Tetsusaiga. He only uses a bow and arrow when he feels in the mood. It's funny, because both his parents gave him ways to protect himself. The sword is his father's, and his mother was the one to teach him archery. Both come in handy from time to time.”
 
“Does he ever use the bow for fighting?”
 
“No, he prefers the sword because of how fast he can eliminate an opponent. The bow and arrow he uses for catching game, like that rabbit you had this morning.” I grimaced at the remembrance. Miroku chuckled.
 
“Really, Princess Kagome, it will get better tasting as time passes and you grow so hungry you won't care what you ingest.”
 
Feeling like I wanted to do the teasing for once, I inquired, “So, I hear you made an acquaintance with a certain Lady Sango?” He let out a sigh that sounded content yet slightly depressed at the same time.
 
“Ah yes, the LOVELY Lady Sango. That was not more than a few weeks ago, I'm afraid. She has left such a mark upon my heart.”
 
Only a few WEEKS! Sango had failed to mention she had found a lover in such a lecherous of a man!
 
She hadn't even sounded vaguely upset during the last few weeks! I felt betrayed and somewhat left out that my best friend couldn't tell me these things.
 
But while I was in my reverie, Miroku had continued talking, “…and that's when I asked her to bear my…”
 
“Miroku, why didn't you try to find her if you love her so much?” I cut him off.
 
“Kagome, of course I pursued her, but she would have nothing of me. I have tried to move on and forget, yet her face haunts me if I even think about going near another woman.”
 
“Then WHAT on earth possessed you to grope me?”
 
He smiled sheepishly, “Please forgive me, Kagome, but your beauty overcame my sense-“
 
“Save it.” Inuyasha had appeared all of the sudden and was now walking on the other side of the horse. “Once a lech, always a lech.”
 
I would think Miroku would have formed a rebuttal, but when I turned to him to see, he had disappeared into the woods, holding his stomach yet again. A hurling sound could be heard in the distance.
 
I sighed at the same time Inuyasha was chuckling under his breath, “Serves him right.”
 
I ignored that statement and dismounted, tying the horse to a tree so that I could sit down on a near by rock.
 
I couldn't help but want to know more about Inuyasha, despite his attempts in pushing me away from him. There had to be someway to get him to trust me.
 
“How old are you?” He didn't miss a beat while he answered, “Just celebrated nineteen years. Well, human years that is. To a human, I appear 19, but as a demon, I'm about 106.”
 
I let out a low whistle. “Quite a long time to be around, is it not?” He didn't answer, so I continued, “and no one to share it with?”
 
I was surprised at my forwardness, but living much longer than other humans meant he had no constant in his life besides his brother, and at the moment, his brother was MIA (missing in action).
 
“Feh, I've got my pack and my brother which suffices enough.” But I could see a small pink tinge add to his cheeks.
 
Wanting to avoid the next uncomfortable silence, I asked, “What was you brother like?”
 
He paused for a moment before he stated, “Well, he was certainly a lot braver than I was. He was probably also one of the most trusted of the warriors, probably why he was sent to retrieve you. Sesshoumaru looks a lot like me, except a lot girlier. The guys have a joke of calling him Fluffy because of his womanly appearance. Although, they would never dare say that to his face.” He let out a small laugh.
 
He continued stating, “He would have wanted me to go on like this, when he left, he was always badgering me to stick up for myself and to find my own path.”
 
This was the first time Inuyasha had spoken so genially about someone, and I for one was not disappointed upon seeing this side of him. In fact, I wish he would show it off more. But it was gone in an instant, just as it had come.
 
“But these damn warriors didn't accept us totally at first, and we're still trying to find a place to fit in.”
 
“Me too.” I agreed.
 
He stared at me with an expression that I knew said, `Feh”, trying to decipher how I could possibly mean what I said when I was nowhere near as lonely as him, or so he thought.
 
I tried to clarify, telling him, “All I've been told to do my whole life is act proper, only speak when spoken to, and how I can't eat or I'll end up like some poor, fat pig. And you think you lived a lonely life. I can't even choose who I wish to marry.”
 
“Wow, so sorry for your misfortunes.” I felt hot anger grow in my stomach and yelled, “Fine, BAKA,” I lowered my voice a little to control myself, “what do you have against your life? Hmmm?” Meanwhile I was chanting a mantra, Don't kill him don't kill him don't kill him don't kill him.
 
He crossed his arms and leaned against a tree.
 
He was silent for a long while before he sighed like he had something somewhere better to do and answered. “There are much bigger things in this world to face than corsets and ugly aristocrats.”
 
I was appalled at his gall to insult me in such a way, so I felt the rage consume me, forgetting my mantra as I shouted, “You try living a life that does not even belong to you!”
 
I could see he was surprised by my sudden outburst, because he just stood there gaping as I sprung off my rock and strode off farther ahead.
 
However, it didn't take him long to catch up to me, his strides almost being twice as large as my own.
 
“Yo, wench,”
 
“WHAT!?” I shouted back.
 
I was starting to wish Miroku were here to somehow knock some sense in his head.
 
I tried to walk even faster, I slipped on a rock, twisting my ankle, causing my head to come crashing down into the dirt.
 
Fortunately, I narrowly missed smashing my head into another rock, but I found that I couldn't exactly stand with my ankle.
 
I was crying at this point, wailing practically, “Why, why do I have to go through this.” I wasn't expecting an answer, although I was praying for one.
 
Inuyasha was just standing there above me, looking confused as if he wasn't sure exactly how he should comfort me.
 
I looked up to see him gazing at me, almost asking me how he could help. I just sat up as best I could and motioned for him to help me up.
 
I tried to put weight on the ankle, but it had already swelled from my fall, so all I could do was a tiny limp, not allowing us to move very far.
 
“Let's go, I can carry you back to the horse, so you won't put any weight on it.”
 
His tone had become gentler, and I gasped when he suddenly grasped me under the legs to carry me bridal style over to the horse.
 
I blushed at the close contact, but let him lift me up again onto the horse as Miroku appeared again from the grove of trees.
 
He seemed to have known everything that had happened, and in his cheerful state, despite his sickness, he asked, “Everything resolved, ladies?”
 
He certainly liked using that phrase when he caught Inuyasha and I bickering. I guess we could be compared to two old women.
 
And as always for an answer, he received a firm bonk to the head by Inuyasha, who just said, “Quit it.”
 
As the night became darker, I felt that I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer and fell asleep as the horse and my two protectors trumped on.
 
~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**
A/N: ok, since this chapter is finished, I figured I could just give it to you guys right away. I've been just dishing this stuff out pretty fast, so new chapters should be uploaded as soon the middle of this week.
 
Hope you're enjoying,
<3 AkaiiNeko