InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ In the Beginning... ❯ Onward ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
~*A/N: So I lied. It's been more than a week. But I was busy finishing "Dial 'H' for Hentai!" and starting my new fic, "Love Remains". In other words, my mind was otherwise occupied. After posting the last chappy, I realized it was rather short. This one should be longer. So here it is, the next chapter. Hope it was worth the wait. Enjoy!*~

DISCLAIMER: I do not own Inu-Yasha; it belongs to the wonderful and talented Rumiko Takahashi.

Chapter Five: Onward

Nine Months

Today was the third day that Gendo and I did not train. When I asked him, he merely said, "You're ready. Besides, there is too much to do and too little time. We need you to help prepare, as well." So I did as I was told, organizing supplies and ordering up transports. We leave tomorrow morning for the battleground. I am anxious, eager to put my skills into practice. I have trained alone, when I could find the time, although it is difficult to fight without an opponent.

My mother has become distant, often meditating in the garden. Today I watched unseen as she sparred against Kiri in the dojo. It was an amazing sight. I never knew my caring mother could be a ruthless warrior. I look forward to fighting by her and father's sides. Today we were also informed of how our council would be split up. My father and mother will command one battalion, I will assist Gendo in commanding another. Kiri and Abunai will each command their own, while Majuumi, Chikara, and Kuroi will command battalions of their own kind.

At this new, my heart sank. My parents and I will most likely not fight closely on the same battlefield, and I wished to have them witness my success. Part of me knows it is for the best. They will already be distracted by keeping watch over one another, I would merely be another distraction. My father is a capable and experienced leader, and I have no right to question his decisions.

Jaken has taken the position of my personal assistant, my vassal. He takes my orders, and sees that they are followed through. Observing him these past few days, I see that he is enjoying his position of power. He holds his head high, his chest puffed out like a bullfrog calling in the night.

Rei has been given command of the servants who will be accompanying us. Kitchen staff, medical workers, handservants, all under her orders. Rinsuke follows her around, trying her best to help. I marvel at the young girl's courage. Despite her youth, she is a great help. When delivering a message to Jaken this morning, the youkai had balked at her commanding tone, and called her an "insolent ningen". I filled with rage at his treatment of the youngster, uttering a low growl to keep him in check. It is, after all, his job to assist Rei in organizing the supplies.

At his words, Rinsuke had stared at the floor, disheveled raven bangs hiding her brown eyes. I noticed her little fists balled with tension, assuming her smiling eyes were now shining with sadness as tears fell. This courageous little imp of a ningen shot her head up, her eyes glaring with anger. I had stepped toward the kaeru youkai, my arm stretched out to grab him by the shoulder. The rage on the child's face causing me to stop in my tracks, my mouth dropping open in shock.

She grit her teeth as she spoke, her words tinged with bitterness, "Jaken-sama, Rinsuke just was doing what Rei told her to do. If you do not like it, talk to Rei." And with that, she stomped away. I quickly recovered, then trying to cover up the chuckle that threatened to burst from my throat. Jaken turned to me, his eyes wide, his mouth agape as mine had been. He sputtered, then seeing there was no sympathy for him in my eyes, turned and scuttled off to do as Rinsuke had commanded him. I pondered the child's use of the third-person in reference for herself, before realizing I had more important things to attend to.

That evening, following dinner, I went to the hot springs to wash away the days exertions, and to gather my thoughts for the approaching journey. I was starting to nod off, when I heard soft steps approaching from behind me. The scent on the air told me that it was Rei, and although Rinsuke's scent clung to her like a kimono, she was alone. She joined me in the spring, and for awhile I lost myself in her warm body. When both of our desires had been slaked, I inquired after Rinsuke's past.

Rei explained that the girl had a happy childhood, until the death of their mother. Youkai had killed their mother, and ningen had turned her away. She felt alone in the world until she had come here. Although a few youkai antagonized her here, they were mostly harmless, as long as my parents vowed protection to the child. Rei had served our family well for years, her father had been on good terms with my parents prior to his death, so their family was our family. We protect our own.

I had recalled Rinsuke's odd way of referring to herself, and asked Rei how the child had acquired such an odd habit. Rei smiled fondly, as if looking at a pleasant memory. Apparently, her mother had spoken to her in the same way, her own form of "baby talk", as the ningen labelled it. Rei had been with my family since she was five, and had quickly grown out of the childish habit, but since Rinsuke was seven, the habit was more ingrained into her. Rei assured me that it would be corrected if it displeased me. I chuckled, smirking at the neko hanyou. After reassuring her that I found it endearing, she softened. My eyes had started to drift shut throughout the conversation, so Rei urged me to rest. After all, tomorrow is a big day, and I would need my rest.

Yes, tomorrow is a big day. And I realize all too well that every second of rest will be needed.

~*A/N: Yay! Another chappy done. Gomen again for the wait. Check out my new fic, "Love Remains". Kinda angsty, but I promise it'll get a little happier, eventually. Well, have to work early tomorrow, so ja ne, minna!*~