InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ In the Beginning... ❯ Waiting ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
~*A/N: Yay! Another chapter! Enjoy!*~

DISCLAIMER: *raises right hand and places left on bible* I swear that I do not own Inu-Yasha & Co... ...but I do own my OC's!

Chapter 7: Waiting

Eleven Months

Kami-sama, how I detest waiting. I am normally a patient person, but even I cannot stand the tension in the air. I feel as a prisoner waiting for his execution. Not that I plan to die in any of the battles to come, but I do feel as if I am waiting for the axe to fall. We reached the front lines almost a month ago, and no moves have been made by the Hosokawa clan. The daily messages from my father continue to be the same, "Let the ningen make the first move." Ah, how the time stretches out with little to do.

The air in the camp is thick and anxious. Our soldiers are itching for battle, for the scent of blood. The servants have settled into a routine, which is comforting to them. They are less downcast, although I often catch them flitting their paranoid eyes around the camp.

Rinsuke has made a habit of visiting my tent late at night, ever since the first time, a month ago. At first, she claimed nightmares as her reason, but as of late, I have exposed that for the falsehood it has become. When I confronted her about it, perhaps it was the seventh occurrence, she averted her gaze to the ground. I ordered her to look at me, and saw shame in her eyes, laced with a slight fear. I asked if she was afraid of me, and she shook her head violently. When asked what she feared, she replied, "Rinsuke no want Sesshomaru-sama to send her away. Rinsuke is afraid to be alone again."

I had to struggle to keep my face cold and distant. After all that this child has been through, after protecting her this long, she still believes I would cast her out? Not even I could be so cruel. I gripped both of her arms, waiting until she looked into my eyes. I then reassured her that I would never take her away from Rei. As long as she serves us, she will be under our protection. That applies to her family as well.

At this news, Rinsuke gushed, "Sesshomaru-sama!", throwing her arms around my neck. This sudden embrace startled me, and my gaze darted around to make sure no one had seen this exchange. Assured of our privacy, I reluctantly unlatched the child's grip. Suddenly concerned she had behaved incorrectly, Rinsuke clasped her hands together at her waist, and studied the ground intently. I observed her behavior for a few minutes before cooly telling her she may stay if she wished. The look of joy in her tearful eyes when she looked up at me pierced my heart. She did not hesitate to climb onto my bed and curl up, once again, with her head on my lap. As I write this, she lays there, clutching my hakama in her small hand, sleeping soundly.

A few days ago, I had snuck off once again to perform my kata in the woods nearby. As I was practicing with my sword, I heard a rustling in the bushes nearby. I altered my course slightly so that I landed in front of the source of the sound, my blade pointed. Inches from my blade was a neck. Rei's neck. I quickly sheathed my weapon as she stuttered out an apology. I dismissed it with a wave, and asked why she had followed me.

Rei regained her composure, and thanked me for my consideration towards her half-sister. I blinked at her with wide-eyed confusion. How did she know? Apparently, she had awoken one night and noticed Rinsuke gone. She had followed her scent to my tent, and there discovered the two of us asleep. The next morning, finding Rinsuke returned to her bed, she questioned the child. Rinsuke haltingly explained herself, and had waited to be chastised. Rei told me that she had advised the girl to not bother me, but realized she had not heeded her warning.

I again waved it off, telling Rei that the child did no harm. Of course, I would never admit to the pleasure I felt in the ningen's company. Rei stood staring at me, shock evident in her face. As an explanation, I told Rei of how I used to go to my father in the same way when I was frightened as a child. Rei's face softened, and she smiled, wrapping me in her embrace. "Thank you," she whispered into my ear.

Speaking of Rei, I discern her scent nearby. Ah, there she is. She's smiling tenderly at me. At Rinsuke. At my hand. My hand, which is absently stroking Rinsuke's hair. Oh, no. Perhaps I'll finish this later.

I am still not quite ready to sleep. I bask in this moment, in this feeling of completion. Rei had silently padded over to my bed, kneeling before me and leaning over me. She then whispered into my ear, "I never got to thank you properly." Gently, she removed my hakama from Rinsuke's grip, and slid the child over slightly. Unconcerned with awaking either Gendo or Rinsuke, she took me to the brink of ecstacy and back again, to the brink again, and finally, over it. Now, that is the kind of thank you I could get used to.

So here I sit on my bed, Rinsuke's head again in my lap, her small hand again clutching my hakama. Behind her lies Rei, her head resting on my thigh, her arm protectively wrapping around Rinsuke's waist. Although I love neither of them, I feel content, complete. Perhaps I will fully savor this feeling someday, when I have a mate and pups of my own. Until then, I will enjoy this taste of the future, of what may be. I know I should wake them and send them back to their own tent, but I hesitate. Just a little longer.

A voice in the back of my head reminds me, I must not soften...


Lina Lee: Arigato for your review! No more waiting for you!
~*A/N: Awww... another sweet little interlude. You all are going to really hate me later, but it's a necessary evil. You'll see what I mean in a few chapters. Until then, review! And let me know what you think so far. Gomen, minna! Ja!*~