InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ InuYasha's Good Valentine Vibrations ❯ InuYasha's Good Valentine Vibrations ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

InuYasha's Good Valentine Vibrations
by Majicman55
 
I do not own InuYasha or any of the characters therein. I just like to play with them now and then.
 
 
“Whatcha doin', runt?”
 
“Oh…hi, InuYasha.” Sota went back to his drawing. “Nothing.”
 
InuYasha peeked over Sota's shoulder. Usually the boy regarded him with almost hero worship, so whatever he was doing had to be important. Evidently, Sota didn't want him to see what he was working on because he kept shifting every time the hanyou almost got a good look. Finally InuYasha spotted some writing he recognized.
 
“Oi, isn't that the name of the girl your sister and I helped you with?”
 
Sota grumbled and made a halfhearted attempt to pull his drawing underneath himself, then sighed and rolled off…exposing it to plain sight. “I'm making a Valentine for her.”
 
“A Val-en-tine?”
 
“Oh yeah, I forgot. You wouldn't know about Valentine's Day. It's a western custom.”
 
InuYasha scratched his head. “From China?”
 
Sota laughed. “I keep forgetting how much the world's changed in 500 years. The west is America, over the ocean, that way.”
 
“But that's east.”
 
“It's called `the west.'”
 
“But…”
 
“Trust me on this one.”
 
“They're east, but they insist on calling themselves west. Feh. Are they all crazy?”
 
“You don't know the half of it.”
 
InuYasha shrugged. “So what is this Val-en-tine's Day?”
 
“It is a holiday dedicated to love.”
 
InuYasha's eyes got very big. “L-Love?”
 
Sota knew InuYasha really liked his sister - maybe even loved her - yet his idol could never seem to just come out and declare it. “Well, maybe I can help with that,” thought Sota. “Besides, he's been bugging me and I can get him back.”
 
“Yes, InuYasha. Love.”
 
“Feh! Why would you need a holiday for that?”
 
“Girls find it very important.” Sota rolled back over, away from InuYasha, and started working on his drawing again. “I imagine Kagome does.”
 
“She d-does?”
 
Sota smiled to himself. He had the hanyou hooked, now. “If she gives you homemade chocolates, that's a good sign.”
 
“Feh. She gives Shippo chocolate.”
 
“Those are store-bought. It's when she gives you homemade chocolates…for Valentine's Day…that it means something.”
 
“It means she likes me, right?”
 
“Yeah. Sure.” Sota started drawing again.
 
InuYasha looked more closely at Sota. “It means she likes me.”
 
Sota wiped the smile off his face before turning to face the hanyou again. “You go on believing that.”
 
“What does it mean, then?”
 
“When a girl gives you homemade chocolate for Valentine's Day, she's asking if you'll be her boy-friennnd.” Sota really enjoyed the way he drew out the word…especially when he saw the effect it had on InuYasha.
 
“A-And Valentine's Day is when?”
 
“Tomorrow.”
 
InuYasha's eyes got as big as saucers. “I…I've gotta go.”
 
“She'll expect you back here tomorrow!”
 
“Feh!”
 
Sota watched the hanyou rush out the back door and head for the old well house. A moment later, his sister came into the room.
 
“Hi, Sota. I thought I heard InuYasha in here. I threw him out of my room `cause I couldn't get any studying done.”
 
“Yeah, he was here alright, but the last I saw of him, he was headed for the well house.”
 
“Really? I wanted to talk with him.”
 
“I was telling him about Valentine's Day.”
 
Kagome's eyes narrowed. “You were, huh?”
 
“I think he's expecting chocolates, now.”
 
“You told him about that?” Kagome rolled her eyes. She hadn't planned on making chocolates, but if InuYasha wanted them, well, it couldn't hurt to make him some candy. Sure, he wasn't really her boyfriend, but a girl could dream.
 
 
******************
 
 
There was a blue glow and InuYasha climbed back out of the well in Kagome's time. A brisk run through InuYasha's Forest had gone a long way to calm his nerves, but it all went for naught when he smelled the scent of warm chocolate coming from Kagome's kitchen.
 
For the first time, he entered Kagome's house by jumping up to the window in Sota's room. He had to scratch for a minute before the boy woke up and unlocked his window.
 
“Thanks for letting me in, kid.”
 
Sota put his hand over his mouth as he yawned. “What's going on?”
 
“Smell that?”
 
The hanyou really hadn't needed to tell him. Now that he was awake, Sota detected the aroma of fine chocolate that was permeating the house. “Uh-huh. What did I tell you?”
 
“What do I do?”
 
“She's gonna expect a gift from you, too, you know.” Sota watched as InuYasha began to fidget.
 
InuYasha was reaching for an answer. Any answer. “Maybe you could make another of those drawings for me to give your sister?”
 
“Only kids give each other drawings, InuYasha,” Sota smirked. “If she's saying she wants you as a boyfriend, you have to answer her the right way or you'll really hurt her feelings.”
 
“K-Keh.”
 
“Relax. You helped me…I'll help you.”
 
InuYasha began pacing back and forth. “What kind of gift should I get her? It's not like I have any of this money stuff you guys use.”
 
“I have some money.” Sota began pulling on some clothes. “It's still early. Let me ride on your back to the mall and I'll help you pick something out. Deal?”
 
“Keh.”
 
 
******************
 
 
Kagome paused from stirring the chocolate in her double boiler. She could have sworn she heard a slight thump from the roof. She shrugged. If it had been InuYasha, he would have come into the house. She went back to her chocolate. It was almost time to pour the melted confection into the waiting molds.
 
 
******************
 
 
“Wheeee-ee-eeeeeeee!”
 
“Feh! Would you stop that?”
 
“It's fun.”
 
“I'm glad, but you're hurting my ears.”
 
“Sorry.” Sota brightened up again and pointed ahead of them. “That's the mall, InuYasha.”
 
“Keh.”
 
InuYasha landed in a darkened area and let Sota climb off his back. He started towards the mall.
 
“Wait, InuYasha.”
 
“Huh?”
 
Sota held something out to the hanyou.
 
“Oh, yeah. The hat.”
 
The two proceeded on their gift-hunting expedition.
 
 
******************
 
 
“Pay no attention to my friend, ma'am. We're rehearsing for a special presentation at the shrine and, when he realized he didn't have a Valentine's Day gift for his girlfriend, InuYasha didn't have enough time to change before the mall closed.”
 
“I…see,” said the saleslady. She turned to InuYasha. “You need a gift for White Day?”
 
InuYasha was confused. “For Valentine's Day, I think.”
 
“Well, uhh…”
 
Sota broke in. “InuYasha couldn't wait till White Day. He wanted to give his gift right away.”
 
“How romantic!” The saleslady retreated to gather and bring back some gift suggestions.
 
“White Day?” whispered InuYasha. “I thought you said…”
 
“That's the old way of doing it. Now, most people exchange gifts the same day, but it's still traditional for the man to give something white.”
 
InuYasha noticed the saleslady returning and nudged Sota. “Oi.” As Kagome's brother had noted, the gifts were all or mostly white.
 
“Here are some lovely pearls. Would your girlfriend like these?”
 
“I…I guess…”
 
Sota tugged on InuYasha's sleeve and whispered, “I don't have that kind of money on me.”
 
“I guess she don't like pearls.”
 
“Oh,” said the saleslady, crestfallen. She would have made a nice commission on that sale. “Perhaps a bathrobe.”
 
InuYasha looked down at Sota, who was looking at the price.
 
“We can afford it, but can she bring that with her when she goes to see you?”
 
InuYasha saw the boy's point. Even balled up, the robe would take up a significant part of Kagome's backpack…and that would mean less room for ramen.
 
“What about that stuff?” InuYasha pointed to a glass case full of small items. Surely they wouldn't take up too much room.
 
The saleslady was blushing. “Those, sir, are our novelty items.”
 
“Cool.”
 
Both InuYasha and the saleslady looked at Sota, who was peering into the case.
 
“Are you sure, sir, that you want to look at these in the presence of a minor?” asked the flustered woman.
 
InuYasha got the idea that the woman didn't want the boy to see the items, but, damnit, he needed a gift for Kagome and Sota was the only one who could help him. “Just get the stuff out!”
 
“If you say so, sir.” The saleslady gave silent thanks that it was almost closing time.
 
InuYasha pointed to one particular item that caught his eye. It was long and white and seemed to be made of steel. “Show me that.”
 
“This,” gulped the saleslady, “is a..a…personal massager.” She smiled in relief at her adept handling of the awkward situation.
 
InuYasha knew what a massage was, but how could this cylinder provide such a service? He turned the item over in his hands until there was a barely audible “click.”
 
The cursed object came to life!
 
InuYasha tossed the item away from himself and reached for his Tetsusaiga. Not finding his blade, he suddenly remembered Sota had made him leave it at home. “Iron reaver, soul…!”
 
“InuYasha!”
 
InuYasha looked at Sota who had picked up the thrice-damned object and was rubbing it against the back of his neck. “Mama has one of these in her nightstand. She says it helps her relieve stress and tension.” Sota handed the buzzing item to the hanyou. “Try it.”
 
After a minute of rubbing the cylinder against his neck, much to the saleslady's consternation, InuYasha had to admit it relaxed him. He looked back at Sota. “Do we have enough?”
 
Sota counted his money. “I…dunno.”
 
“Look, it's on special today. Half price! I'll even wrap it for you!”
 
“We've got enough for that, InuYasha.”
 
A few minutes later, the beaming pair left the store. Looking back, they saw the saleslady pulling the security gate down. She gave them a nervous smile and retreated to the back of the store.
 
“Let's get going, kid.”
 
Sota nodded. The two of them found a spot out of view and the boy climbed onto the hanyou's back. Soon they were on their way back to the shrine.
 
 
******************
 
 
Kagome thought the chocolates were almost ready to pop out of the mold when she heard another thump on the roof. “Could that be InuYasha this time?” she wondered. She crept upstairs, but there was no InuYasha in sight. Everyone beside her was asleep, it seemed. She went back downstairs to finish with the chocolates.
 
Tomorrow was Valentine's Day.
 
 
******************
 
 
Kagome came down the steps, yawning and stretching.
 
“Morning, dear,” called out Mama Higurashi. “I see you were busy last night.”
 
Kagome smiled. “Yeah, Sota told InuYasha about Valentine's Day, so I made him some chocolates.”
 
“Oh, I see,” said Mama, knowingly.
 
“It's not like that, Mama.”
 
“Although you wish it were.”
 
Kagome looked at her mother and sighed.
 
Suddenly, Sota's voice erupted from the shrine grounds. “He's here!” Sota ran inside barely ahead of the hanyou. “InuYasha's here.”
 
“Will you be joining us for breakfast, InuYasha?” asked Mama.
 
“Keh.”
 
“I think that's a yes,” giggled Kagome.
 
InuYasha sat down at the table. Grandpa lowered his paper slightly, looked a little annoyed at the hanyou, and raised his paper again. Sota sat opposite his grandfather and Mama brought platters of eggs, pancakes and bacon to the table.
 
“No time like the present,” thought Kagome. She retrieved a small, wrapped box from the kitchen counter and brought it to the table. “I have something for you, InuYasha. Happy Valentine's Day!”
 
“Oi.” The hanyou was for once (and despite shaky hands) able to open something without destroying it. As he had feared, the gift was a box of carefully-made chocolates. He wasn't ready for this!
 
Well, at least he was ready in one way. “Arigato, Kagome…and I have something for you.”
 
“You do?”
 
Mama Higurashi leaned over the table with interest as InuYasha retrieved a package from within his robes. Even Grandpa put down his paper.
 
“Before I give this to you, Kagome, I want you to know that I understand how much…stress (the hanyou glanced at Sota, who gave him the thumbs up)…I put you through. Your brother helped me pick this out. He said your mother had one and told him she used it all the time. I hope you like it and that it helps relieve some of your…tension (Sota was giving him the thumbs up again).”
 
Kagome smiled, undid the ribbon and lifted the lid off the box. There seemed to be a lot of tissue paper. “InuYasha, you shouldn't have.” She reached into the box and found the gift, almost dropping it as she lifted it out. There was a quiet “click” and everyone stared as Kagome lifted the now-vibrating item out of the box.
 
“Like it?” InuYasha looked around to find Sota staring eagerly with a big smile on his face, Kagome's grandfather with his face buried in his newspaper (although what InuYasha could see had gone completely white), and Mama Higurashi standing with her hand over her mouth, turning red and trying not to laugh.
 
He looked back at Kagome. Something told him it was time to run.
 
He almost made it to the well.
 
 
 
 
A/N: I wasn't intending on writing another Valentine's Day story, but Nick F. asked for one in a review of “Kagome Smells.” I hope this is satisfactory.