InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Iridescent Illusions ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

“Iridescent Illusions”- Chapter One
Disclaimer: I own the thought of the story, the characters belong to Rumiko Takahashi.
 
“Here” said a six year old little girl, her name was Kagome Higurashi. Pushing the flower into the little boy's hand then taking a step back she said, “Cheer up things will get better.”
“What would I want to do with this?” questioned the boy in a harsh tone, while holding the flower at an arm length as if it would jump alive and attack him. “This won't make things better. It's just a stupid flower.”
“You would be amazed at how much a cherry blossom will change a persons attitude.” She said in a cheery tone. “I'm really sorry about what happened. I can't even imagine what it would be like to lose my mom.”
“Yeah well I don't need your pity.”
“I know your much stronger than that.” She said with a blush gracing her cheeks. “InuYasha can I ask you something?”
Sighing he shrugged his shoulders, this girl just wouldn't leave him alone. “What ever.”
“Will you be my friend?”
“I guess.” He replied.
“For ever and for always?” she questioned on.
“Yes now will you leave me alone?”
“Okay!” she said with a happy chirp while flopping down next to him to sit on the grass. Five minutes went by, Kagome looked over her shoulder at the six year old InuYasha, he had his head resting in his arms. She glanced up at the sky it was an inky black color, which seemed to match InuYasha's mood perfectly. “Do you want to play house?” she asked.
He raised his head with a scowl gracing his features, “Boy's don't play house that's a girl game.” He pointed out.
“Okay how about tag instead?”
“Tag?”
“Yeah come on let's play.” And with that she took a hold of his hand and pulled him upwards. “TAG YOUR IT!” she said slapping him in the arm and taking off in the other direction.
“Your not getting away that easily.” He said with a hint of happiness in his voice.
*
Meanwhile inside the funeral hall the adults were discussing the boys fate.
“He surly can't go and live with his half brother, can he?” questioned a small little man by the name of Mr.Myouga, his hair was starting to slowly recede from the top of his head giving a knowing look about him. After receiving no answer from the crowd he continued on.
“I would think not he's only six years old, and the half brother didn't even seem to think that it was appropriate enough to show and give his respects. He would not care about the boy's well being, he is only sixteen himself.”
“That still doesn't give us an answer to our problems.” Pointed out Ms.Kaede.
“And you say that his father has died as well?” asked Mrs.Higurashi.
“Yes the poor boy really has no one left.” Answered Mr.Myouga.
“I feel so helpless can't anyone take him?” questioned Mrs.Higurashi.
“I guess I could take him home with me for a little while but I really don't think he will like living with an old croon like me.” Said Ms.Kaede.
“Well it gives the boy a place to stay for a little while.”
*
InuYasha ended up living with Ms.Kaede for one year before provisions were made to move him into a foster home. During that year Kagome became a frequent visitor at Ms.Kaede's home, always coming by and asking if InuYasha could come out to play. They were always seen together, never was there one with out the other. That is until the day when the social worker came to collect him. Kagome and InuYasha were outside at the time enjoying the lush summer heat, building a fort in the woods located behind Ms.Kaede's house. Kagome and InuYasha had only come in to get a drink of nice cold Lemonade when Ms.Kaede called them into the living room of the house. Both walked in with a big smile located on their faces, to InuYasha's surprise Kagome turned out to be quite the tomboy.
“Look at you InuYasha how did you get so dirty? And you too Kagome I had hoped that you would have turned out to be a good role models for him! But it seems that it has turned the other way you've turned into a tomboy, no longer a respectable young lady.”
“That's okay Ms.Kaede I much rather being me than someone else.” Answered Kagome with a smile, knowing that Ms.Kaede was only joking around.
“Hey Kaede who's that?” asked InuYasha rather rudely, while jerking his thumb behind his back at the social worker.
“Well she's here…” Ms.Kaede trailed off, how could she tell him that this woman was here to take him away from his new family only to be placed somewhere with people that won't ever love him the way they do.
“I'm here to relocate you in to your new home.” Stated the social worker.
“Relocate? What does she mean Kaede?” InuYasha asked with a worried look on his face.
“I mean that you are no longer going to live here and you'll be placed with a new family as soon as we leave this place. Now hurry up and gather your things we're leaving.”
“Leaving!” Kagome squeaked with tears forming in her eyes. “InuYasha can't leave, he lives here with Ms.Kaede not with someone else. He's my best friend he can't leave.” By this time the tears had already fallen, Ms.Kaede soon came to kneel beside to comfort her.
“But I don't want to leave,” InuYasha said brokenly, “Kagome please don't cry.”
“Now, now none of this go pack your things.” The social worker snapped, leaving no room for argument.
InuYasha took one more pleading look at Ms.Kaede then begrudgingly started to walk up the stairs towards his room. Kagome quickly followed him, breaking into more tears once she noticed that InuYasha was actually doing what he was told. InuYasha shoved all of his toys into a bag, looking back into his toy box he noticed a small stone lurking around the bottom. This stone was from one of his and Kagome's many swims down at the pond.
He had originally picked it up because Kagome had said that it was really pretty. Now looking at it he glanced over at Kagome, who had taken a seat on his bed to try and recollect herself, an idea had formed in his head. With quick thinking he threw the stone as hard as he could towards the floor. When it hit the floor the stone snapped in two pieces, at the sound of the commotion Kagome had lifted her head just in time to see the stone break. Picking it up InuYasha looked at the place where it had broken, on the inside there were millions of tiny crystals on both halves.
Turning around he held the stone out in front of him for Kagome to see.
“Wow that is really pretty.” She said with wide eyes.
“Here you take this half and I'll keep the other. So that we will always remember each other.”
“InuYasha…thank you.”
*
When they came back down the stairs the social worker already had her car keys in her hands.
“Well come on then hurry it up.” She said in her snobby voice.
InuYasha turned around one last time to thank Ms.Kaede for having him, then when he reached Kagome's goodbye he leaned over and kissed her on the cheek.
“I will never forget you Kagome, I'm coming back home some day and you better not forget me.”
“Never, and don't forget me either!” she said while sniffling, “Bye”
“Bye”
And with that InuYasha was gone from Kagome's life. For a few hours afterwards Kagome had stayed at Ms.Kaede's house. The old woman didn't mind, if anything she welcomed the company. After having InuYasha there to tear up her nice clean house she was glad that she didn't have to be alone right away. After awhile Ms.Kaede called Mrs.Higurashi to come and get the broken form of little Kagome.
*
Over the years Kagome never forgot the little boy, her best friend, InuYasha. She did eventually push away her sadness though, having to make new friends. Even though Kagome never really fit in with them she did her best to pretend that her life was the way she wanted it. They were the popular prissy bunch of girls that Kagome wouldn't have even stepped near if InuYasha had been around to say anything. The only thing that saved Kagome's sanity was her weekly classes that she taught. She was a black belt in Judo, Karate, and Tae Kwon Do all because of her adventures with InuYasha had inspired her to continue in something boyish. Playing the tomboy when she was younger had stuck with her; she started to take the classes not too long after InuYasha had left, now being eighteen, she reaps the rewards. The thing was that she never told any of her friends at school, she had feared that they would turn her away if they had ever found out about them.
 
To Kagome her whole life was one big lie, she was one person at school but at home or at her classes she was herself, the person she wanted to be. Her life at school looked pretty good to the unsuspecting eye. Head cheerleader, school president, head actress/singer, and girlfriend to the biggest jock in the entire school. But inside it was all a lie, she felt like she was being torn apart. That was another reason why she loved going to teach the Martial Arts classes, she got to take her anger out on the poor students! Her mother teased her every once and a while by saying “She was born to kick Ass”. Some of her students where even some of her classmates at school but she had warned them never to talk to her outside of the weekly class. They were the teenagers that her friends loved to pick on the most, and as much as Kagome wanted to stick up for them she knew she couldn't because her friends would surly turn her away as well or even worse they would turn their sight's on Kagome herself. This fear constantly plagued Kagome's mind.
*
Ring*Ring*
Kagome reached over and turned off her alarm clock. Looking at it read 6:30a.m. She grumbled,
“I hate Monday mornings.”
Rolling out of bed and grabbing a hand full of clothes she slowly made her way towards the bathroom door in the dark. She knew her house too well; she knew every twist and turn located at every corner. After reaching the bathroom she started up the shower and hoped in, waking up instantly as the water temperature slowly turned from cold to soothingly warm.
After her shower she chose to wear her high school colors, Gold and Navy Blue. Her top was a T-shirt one that just nicely ended where her jeans began, leaving just enough for her to show off a little skin but not nearly too much. The sleeves had a rim of gold, as did the neck and bottom. On the front was where the school emblem was located. As for her jeans, they were a pair of denim bell-bottoms, to complete the outfit she tied her hair up in a high pony-tale, along with a pair of hoop earrings. She wasn't wearing any make-up because she just didn't believe in it, all it does is cover up her true beauty, is what she told all her friends when ever they would ask her why she wasn't wearing any. Also she was wearing the stone that InuYasha had given her. After she had gotten home that day her mother had taken the stone and made a hole in it big enough to fit on a chain. She almost never took off the necklace, when she was at school if things began to become too much for her she would take a hold of the stone and waited until she had calmed down enough to breathe again. Just the idea of a little piece of her old friendship close by was enough for her. It also helped her to find what little bit about herself that she did know.
Exiting the bathroom Kagome headed down stairs into the kitchen to grab some breakfast. To her luck her mom was up and had already made bacon and toast.
Grabbing a few pieces of each she swiftly went over and hugged her mother.
“Good morning, and thanks for breakfast.”
“Anytime dear, so are you and Koga going to the movies after school or do you have something else planed.”
Koga was the schools lead star; he was in every sport that you could sign up for. Everything had to be the best for him, and seeing as how Kagome was the head of everything else in the school that he wasn't, it just seemed like a perfect match. To him at least, really Kagome couldn't stand him. He was just another part of the school thing that she detested. Her friends weren't any better; whenever Koga would drape an arm around her shoulders all of her friends would squeal with excitement and comment on how cute they looked together. The funny thing was, was that two of Koga's best friends, Hakkaku and Ginta were gay. Even though she was sure that Koga didn't know it himself, he was kind of slow, if he did ever find out she was sure that he was throw them out of the group.
“Um I'm not sure what this weeks plans are but I'll tell you when I get home, I should know by then.”
“Okay well be sure to call if your plans change.”
“I will thanks.” Kagome said while walking out of the back door.
*
Kagome was walking along the sidewalk beside the school when she felt two arms circle around her waist.
“Hello Koga.” Said Kagome with a small smirk; boy this guy did have a lot of nerve.
“Why Kagome aren't you happy to see me? O by the way you're looking very beautiful today.”
“Thank you. Come on if we don't hurry we'll be late.”
“Come on Kagome the bell doesn't ring for another five minutes.” He drawled out.
“But I need to check and see what the schedule is this week. I might have to change a few things around. My cheerleading and rehearsal might be at the same time.”
Sighing Koga let go and started to walk towards the school.
“Well do you want to go to the movies later or something it feels like forever since we last went out.”
“It's only been three days, and don't you have practice today?”
“I could always put it off to the side, Going out with you would be so much better than practice.” He whispered into her ear.
From behind, Kagome heard a few sighs; turning around she saw all three of her friends standing there with their arms folded and a misty look in their eyes.
“That is so sweet Kagome how did you ever resist such a cute puppy dog face like that?” asked Yuka.
Rolling her eyes Kagome muttered to her self, “Yeah a puppy that you would just love to kick.”
“Did you say something?” asked Eri, which was the closest to her.
“No nothing, so shouldn't we go inside?” she asked hoping to change the subject.
“Fine but Kagome your not going to get away that easily. How about we talk later at lunch.” Koga said then swooped down and kissed her on the cheek.
“Kagome you have got to be the luckiest girl in the whole school. I swear every girl in the school must envy you.” Said Ayumi.
“Yeah luckiest”
*
“InuYasha get up now! If you miss school then I really will toss you out on your ass.” Yelled Sesshomaru, while banging on the door.
“Yeah, yeah I'm up already leave me the hell alone.” InuYasha yelled back, damn he hated this set up a lot.
InuYasha just turned eighteen meaning that he was aloud to live almost anywhere he wanted. The only say in the matter turn out to be his brothers.
Just nicely five days after InuYasha's eighteenth birthday, his older brother Sesshomaru, came to collect him saying that it was about time that the family got back together. Being the age of twenty-eight, seemed to make Sesshomaru think that he was old enough to have reign over his little brother. So just like always InuYasha was basically forced into living with someone that he really didn't want to. The only thing that InuYasha liked about the whole thing was that he now was back in the same town he had left his best friend. Even though Inuyasha had no clue if Kagome even still lived here, he was still willing to look for his long lost friend. It had been eleven years and he hadn't change much in the least, he had hoped that the same thing went for Kagome as well.
After his morning shower InuYasha had decided to skip breakfast all together and just head straight for school. Sesshomaru wasn't please in the least, just as InuYasha was walking out of the door Sesshomaru threw a ten dollar bill on the table and said to go eat something. Scoffing InuYasha picked up the money off the kitchen table and walked out the door.
Walking down the side of the road InuYasha noticed a few of the strange looks that he was receiving. Grumbling to himself he said, “Gees haven't these people ever seen a guy with white hair. I mean Sesshomaru does live here as well so what is their problem?”
InuYasha was so caught up in his thoughts that he failed to notice the person coming up behind him.
Miroku had seen him from the other end of the street, hearing a rumor that a new student was coming sometime soon made Miroku think it was this guy in front of him. Taking a closer look at him Miroku noticed that he seemed to be around the same age as himself. Steeling his resolve Miroku walked quickly up behind the guy and punched him on the shoulder.
InuYasha was shaken form his thoughts as the blow hit his shoulder. Spinning around InuYasha grabbed a fist full of the guy's shirt, lifted him up and pinned him against the building next to him.
“Next time I won't give you a chance to speak, so you better talk now, what do you want?” Inuyasha said with a hint of a growl located in his voice.
“Well for one calm down, two it's nice to meet you my name is Miroku.” He said while offering his hand out to InuYasha.
InuYasha looked at it, scoffed and then dropped the guy, letting him fall to the ground.
“Well it's nice to meet you too.” Miroku said while getting off the ground, and dusting himself off. “So am I right in guessing that you're heading off towards that high school?” He said while pointing off towards the up coming building.
“Yeah your right, I presuming that you go there as well?” InuYasha said while glancing at the guy from the corner for his eye.
“Yup, well seeing as you're new here let me show you around. We might even be in a few of the same classes.”
*
When they reached the high school Inuyasha found himself looking very closely at all the girls that walked past him. Miroku being the pervert that he was noticed.
“I see you like the lady's as well, my friend we are going to get a long great.”
“It's not like that you pervert. I'm looking for an old friend.”
“And I am right in guessing that this old friend would be a girl?”
“No shit Sherlock.”
“O look another person that you have found that hate's you eh Miroku?” said a very girlish voice from behind the boy's.
“My dear Sango where have you been? Were you always standing behind me?” Miroku asked hopefully.
A scowl appeared on her face, “No you perverted bastard. I just got here, so who's the new guy?”
“O Sango how rude of me, InuYasha this is the lovely lady Sango. Sango this is InuYasha.” Miroku said as an introduction.
“InuYasha huh? Well it's nice to meet you, I hope your nothing like Miroku here.” She said with a smile on her face to let him know that she was only joking.
“Have no fear their Sango, the only reason why I was looking at the passing girls was because I'm looking for an old friend.”
“Old friend? Well what's her name maybe I could help you out there. I know basically every girl in this school.”
“Really well that would really shorten my list of things to do if I could find her soon, her name is Kagome Higurashi. Have you ever heard for her?” he asked hopefully.
Sango's look turned sour instantly, “O yes I know Miss Prissy Bitch, High and Mighty.”
From the look on Sango's face and with the help form what she had just said InuYasha had gotten the feeling that she was not the same person that he had left behind.
“You don't like her?” he asked hoping to get some more answers out of her before she blew a gasket.
“Don't like her? I'd be about right if I guessed that over half the school doesn't like her. She's a real nasty piece of work that one is.”
“Lovely,” he said while rolling his eye's, “Kagome what have you gotten your self into now.”
“So how do you know Miss Ice Bitch?” asked Sango.
“She used to be my best friend before I moved away from here. Back then she was quite the tomboy.”
“Tomboy that's rich I love to see her come to school with a pair of baggy pants on, it would kill her.”
When she said that InuYasha decided to take a closer look at what Sango was really wearing. Her hair was up in a ponytail, but she was wearing a pair of men's army pants, that surprisingly suited her. Along with a black T-shirt that said:
“Don't mess with the goods”
He had to laugh a little at that one because he guessed that Miroku, more than likely, rarely kept his hands to himself.
“O look speak of the Ice Queen, here she comes.”
InuYasha spun around looking all over and tried to find her. A group of people had just walked by, upon taking a closer look InuYasha saw four girls, and one guy. The guy had his arm over one of the girl's shoulders, not that she looked very happy about it.
Sango followed InuYasha's gaze and saw Kagome.
“Yeah that's her, the one with her boy toy twisted all around her.”
InuYasha's eyes widened as he looked at the new Kagome. She sure wasn't the same girl that he had left behind, but he did guess that eleven years does change a person a lot. As he was looking her over he noticed that she had grown up a lot, no longer the same little girl. She was one of the prissy girls, how did that happen, she hated girly things when they were younger. The only thing remotely girly that she had once suggested when they used to play together was if he wanted to play house. And even then she was much happier to play tag with him instead. InuYasha was almost about to give up hope at ever getting his Kagome back, when he saw a stone on a chain that hung from her neck. She still had the stone he gave her, that must mean something.