InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Jonquil ❯ Joquil ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Kagome studied the figure before her with infinite sadness. He landed gracefully two feet from her and arched a brow in question. His stoic mask was in place, but she could see the weariness in his eyes. He was tired, just as she was, and only wished to move on and forget.

"Why have you called to me, miko-san," he asked quietly.

Her eyes jerked to his when she heard the added suffix. If someone had told her four years ago that Sesshoumaru would one day show her respect, she would have laughed in their face. Kagome almost smiled at that until recent events came crashing down on her.

"I have to make a decision and since it concerns you as well, I thought you'd like to be here."

His tail twitched. "What, pray tell, are you going to do?"

Kagome held up the complete Shikon and smiled faintly. "You left as soon as Naraku was dead. I have to make a wish so that it can disappear." She stopped and took a breath. "Do you think I should wish them back?"

Golden eyes narrowed in thought as he stared at her. "This Sesshoumaru is not the best person for unselfish advice miko-san. I would have my Rin back just as you would have your kitsune. Perhaps other opinions should be sought. If the wish is made selfishly, that cursed jewel will continue to exist."

The miko nodded and a tear slid down her cheek as she stifled a sob. "It wasn't worth it. All the sacrifices made for this damn thing. It's covered with blood, Sesshoumaru-sama." Raising her eyes to his once more, she said hoarsely, "We're the only ones left. No one will remember Shippou, Rin, Inuyasha, Sango, Miroku, Kaede or Jaken when we're gone." She gave a strangled laugh. "Why wasn't it me? I was the weakest-it should have been me in their place. I tried so hard," she yelled at the jewel. "Isn't that what's supposed to happen? In the end, when everyone tries their hardest, aren't they supposed to live happily ever after? Why couldn't I save them?!"

Sesshoumaru, propelled by the same grief that plagued Kagome, reached out and pulled her against his unarmored chest. Gripping his haori, she sobbed bonelessly against him. The sorrow rose up in both their throats even as Sesshoumaru shut his eyes to the pain of losing Rin. The miko in his arms knew and understood his pain-even if she was human. He would allow himself this one weakness-just this one time-in his mourning. Slowly, they sank to the ground, Kagome ending up in his lap.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry I couldn't save Rin," she mumbled into his kimono.

His tail encircled her, but he said nothing. Suddenly, she jerked and floated out of his arms. A soft pink glow surrounded her as the Shikon was absorbed into her body. Sesshoumaru was on his feet in an instant. Kagome smiled softly down at him.

"You're right, Sesshoumaru-sama; just wishing them back would be selfish. But…I think trading places won't be."

Sesshoumaru frowned at this and opened his mouth to speak, but she held up a hand to stop him.

"I have to do this, please. Tell Shippou and Rin I love them, okay? Tell Inuyasha he was my best friend and needs to tell my family what happened-I love them so much and I'm sorry it has to be like this. Sango was a sister to me and Miroku was loved like my brother. Kaede was the grandmother I never had." She grinned, "And Jaken had better think better of humans after this. Will you tell them?"

"Hai, miko-san," he answered softly.

She drifted down and hugged him. "I'm Kagome, Sesshoumaru-sama." Drawing back from the startled youkai, she reached out and petted his tail before flitting back to the air. She smiled sheepishly at his perplexed and slightly put out face. "Gomen, but I've always wanted to do that. We part as friends?"

Slowly, he inclined his head.

"You're a good person, in your heart, Sess-chan. Don't be wary of letting that show."

"Very few people could get away with ordering me, Kagome." Quicker than lightening, he reached out and caught her hand. Kagome looked at his no longer missing arm and smiled. His thumb gently rubbed the back of her knuckles before raising her small hand to his lips and pressing a kiss to her palm. "I won't let you be forgotten."

Kagome gave a choked laugh through her tears. Leaning down from where she hovered, she kissed his cheek and slipped something into his palm. Before he could ask about it, a brilliant light engulfed the floating miko. Just before she disappeared, Sesshoumaru saw her give a start and her eyes widened as if in realization. Her hands flew to her cheeks as she looked at him in horror.

"I'm going to die a virgin!" she wailed as the light sucked her away.

Sesshoumaru would have chuckled, if not for the unexplainable tightening of his chest when she left. A peaceful voice drifted on the wind and alighted in his ears.

`Be happy, Sess-chan…'

Glancing down, he found that she had given him her ring. She told him before the final battle that her father had given it to her before he died. It was a special ring passed down through her family for generations. The sapphire stone in the middle of finest silver was the color of her eyes. The small onyxes and opals to the side matched her hair and lovely skin. Inside held the inscription, `Beloved.'

Closing his eyes, he held the ring a moment longer before slipping it on. Amazingly, it seemed to stretch to fit on his ring finger. When Sesshoumaru looked up, he saw the people Kagome had wished back lying on the ground. His eyes quickly found Rin and he hurried over to her. She was sleeping but roused immediately when Sesshoumaru knelt and scooped her into his arms. Though unaccustomed to her guardian's show of emotion, Rin happily hugged him back.

"Chichi-ue?" she asked.

"Forgive me, pup," he said in a low voice.

Rin, not as naïve as most would believe, grinned and patted the youkai on the head. His lips twitched in amusement as she berated him for even thinking that he was at fault. The others were stirring around them. Sesshoumaru turned as the group stood and began checking themselves.

"Stay here a moment, Rin," Sesshoumaru commanded as he walked over to the confused friends.

Sango looked up first. "What happened and where's Kagome?"

"Naraku killed you all right before Kagome and I destroyed him. She used the jewel to exchange her life for yours."

They gaped at him a moment before chaos erupted. Sesshoumaru held up his hand and they immediately stilled, hoping there was better news.

"She asked me to tell you, Inuyasha, that you were her best friend and need to tell her family that she loves them. The taijiya was her sister, the monk her brother, and the kit her pup. The old miko was her grandmother."

Sango broke down and leaned on a cured Miroku, who was too upset to grope. Shippou was crying silently in Kaede's arms. Inuyasha just sat down and put his head in his hands. Hearing a sob, Sesshoumaru turned and found Rin crying.

"Onee-san is gone?" the little girl asked.

"Hai, Rin, but she loved you."

Jaken hobbled after his master as Sesshoumaru picked Rin up and disappeared into the forest. The inu-tachi were left to deal with their friend/sister/mother's sacrifice.

**~~**~~**

Six months later…

Sesshoumaru sat with Rin at the table and watched her antics with a small smile. A servant came and refilled his wine glass and retreated. As Sesshoumaru brought the goblet to his lips, a pink flash knocked it from his hand and onto his kimono. Narrowing his eyes, he sniffed for the intruder, but turned his attention back to his wine covered clothes.

Pulling the wet clothes away from him, he sniffed them. The smell was faint, almost non existent, but it was undoubtedly the scent of poison. Growling, he burst into the kitchen and examined the servants. One male caught his eye when the male suddenly tripped. Sesshoumaru shifted his eyes to read the man's aura. Guilt. There, that was his culprit. Striding over to the servant, he crushed the man's windpipe and dropped him to the floor in a heap. The others were watching with wide eyed terror.

"Get rid of that traitor," he said icily at the other servants.

A week later, Sesshoumaru was still puzzling over the flash that had saved him. It felt familiar, but he couldn't place it. Rin suddenly whirled into his study and skidded to a stop in front of his desk. He arched a brow at her grinning face. She hadn't been this happy in a long while.

"Guess what, Chichi-ue?"

"Nani?"

"I saw Kagome-chan in the hall! She's not gone after all!"

The book he'd been holding slipped from his grasp, but was quickly caught before it could hit the floor. "Rin, Kagome has passed on. We've talked about this."

She clutched his sleeve desperately, twisting his heart with the pleading look in her eyes. "Please, Chichi-ue, come see where I saw her. I know I saw her! She smiled at me and everything."

Sighing, he allowed her to tug him to the hall she saw Kagome. Nothing was there. Rin looked crestfallen. She lifted her eyes to his.

"Look for her, Chichi-ue, onegai," she whispered.

After a moment, he relented and began scenting the hall for Kagome's familiar smell. As he walked farther down the hall, he suddenly stopped when he came to the middle. His brows drew together as he breathed deeply, catching a faint, lingering scent of peaches. It was Kagome's distinct scent. She had been here.

Sesshoumaru's eyes snapped open and he pivoted to face an anxious Rin. "She was here, Rin."

The little girl's face lit up. "Where is she?"

"I do not know."

Rin latched onto his sash and swung it happily as she walked beside him. "Onee-san's okay! Maybe she has really important work to do like you, Chichi-ue. Maybe that's why she can't come visit me right now."

"Perhaps, Rin. Was Kagome ever here without my knowledge?"

The little girl scrunched up her face in thought. "Um…she brought me to the front gate one time when I had wandered away from Jaken, but she said that it was rude to intrude when the master of the estate had not extended an invitation. She really liked the castle, you know. She said it was lovely and probably breathtaking in a summer sunset. That's as close as she's ever been with me around."

Sesshoumaru nodded and walked Rin to her room. "Yasumi, Rin," he said as he gave her her customary pat on the head.

"Yasumi, Chichi-ue." She tugged his sash a bit when he turned to go, causing him to pause and wait for her to speak.

"I'm not worried, Chichi-ue. You'll find out what happened to her if you want to cuz you can do anything!"

A rare smile graced his face at her words. She hugged his leg and received an uncustomary affectionate ruffling of her hair in return. Yawning, she skipped back into her room and made ready for bed. Sesshoumaru walked toward his room slowly with much on his mind.

**~~**~~**

Odd things had been occurring in the castle since Rin first spotted Kagome. Less attacks had come which was a relief to all. The frequent attacks were usually pathetic, but they were bothersome and tiring after a while. The castle seemed more peaceful and happy, Rin was never without a smile, and business in general seemed to be flourishing.

Occasionally, Sesshoumaru would stop dead in his tracks when a faint whiff of peaches passed by him. It was always gone as soon as it came, but he couldn't help feeling as though Kagome had just passed him. The one thing that bothered him the most, however, was how and why was Kagome haunting them? Why was she with him and Rin rather than her shard hunting friends? It made absolutely no sense to the youkai lord and usually ended up giving him a headache if pondered too long.

That girl was as irritating in death as she was in life. It would figure that he'd be the one stuck with a miko ghost. Still, he had to admit, she seemed to make things almost…pleasant around the home.

Sesshoumaru stopped his trek to the dojo when the scent of peaches caught his attention. It was stronger than usual, giving him the ability to sniff her out and discover that she was walking beside him.

But how do you wait for Heaven
And who has that much time
And how do you keep your feet on the ground
When you know that you were born
You were born to fly

Kagome's voice suddenly drifted in his ears. She sounded cheerful, as she always had. Sesshoumaru resumed his journey to the dojo, surprised to find her escorting him and still singing. She had a lovely voice and the song was interesting as well.

My daddy, he is grounded like the oak tree
And my mom, she is steady as the sun
Oh, you know I love my folks
But I keep staring down the road
Just looking for my one chance to run

Yeah, cause I will soar away like the blackbird
I will blow in the wind like a sea
I will plant my heart in the garden of my dreams
And I will grow up where I'll wander wild and free

Oh, how do you wait for Heaven
And who has that much time
And how do you keep your feet on the ground
When you know that you were born
You were born to fly

The song was definitely her, Sesshoumaru thought. Pausing beside the dojo door, he felt her pause as well, though he couldn't see her.

"Kagome?" He said softly.

"Sess-chan?" She answered in a startled voice. "You know I'm here?" She asked.

Before he could answer, her presence disappeared from his side. Growling in frustration, the youkai stormed into the dojo fully intent on killing some training dummies.

**~~**~~**

Rumor that the Western castle was haunted quickly spread throughout the lands. In a fortnight, every child knew of the cheerful ghost that protected the Taiyoukai's home. It was said that terrible things happened to the fool who tried to harm the people in the castle. Some said that you could hear the miko ghost singing on particularly lovely days while others claimed that they could hear her weep at night. No one knew who she was, but everyone knew that the scent of fresh peaches was her calling card. The Western Castle's servants were quick to confirm or deflate any rumors of the miko. Sesshoumaru found people standing at the gates all day every day waiting to catch a glimpse or hear the ghost miko.

Today was one of those days. An even larger crowd than usual was camping in front of his estate. He growled when his study suddenly smelled like peaches. His tail twitched irritably beside him. Sesshoumaru's spine went rigidly straight when he felt her pet his tail. He let her stroke it a moment longer before jerking it away from her.

"I have told you before, woman, not to touch my person."

Tinkling laughter was his only reply, making him glare at where he knew she was standing. A tapping on the window told him she'd seen the idiots on the prowl.

"It's your fault, onna. They're here to see you. Perhaps I should go reinform them that this is a taiyoukai's home?"

She sighed heavily and a bright pink light flashed out the window and to the people below. After a moment, they all reluctantly packed their things and returned home. Sesshoumaru scribbled something on the document he was writing, glad that the morons were gone. Kagome hovered above his desk silently for a while before he swatted at her blindly.

"Don't hover over me, Kagome."

There was another sigh and her presence was gone. Sesshoumaru looked up from his work and rubbed his temples. Jaken knocked on the door after a muffled, `Good day, Kagome-sama.' Sesshoumaru rolled his eyes. The little toad acted as though Kagome were a guest instead of a ghost. He even asked if she should be put in a room.

"Enter, Jaken."

The toad scrambled in and bowed. "Lord Sesshoumaru, there are two men here to see you."

"Who are they?"

"A priest and a man that wouldn't give his name. They are hawk youkai."

Sesshoumaru growled. The hawk youkai and inu youkai had never gotten along. The two species had a deep rooted hatred of the each other. With a wave, he had them sent in. They walked in and bowed a shallow bow before taking the offered seats reluctantly.

"What is your business with me?"

The youkai in robes drew an offuda from his robes and threw it at Sesshoumaru in a blink. A pink light flared and sent the offuda back at the youkai, who couldn't dodge and fell to the ground in agony. The other youkai smirked and looked back at the pissed taiyoukai.

"I see, so the rumors are true; you're hiding behind a ghost miko. How very amusing."

Sesshoumaru rose with the elegance of a tiger about to pounce. Before he could, however, the two youkai were purified ash on the floor. The Western Taiyoukai snarled an order for Jaken to clean up the mess and stormed out of his study. Kagome drifted along behind him radiating peaceful vibes in the hope of calming the taiyoukai down. Unfortunately, it didn't work.

He spun to face the place he knew she was standing. "Your interference is costing me political standing, miko. Thanks to you, I now have a reputation of not only not being able to run things on my own, but of also hiding behind a woman to do it. Not only that, but she's dead! A ghost-a figment of my imagination! If you weren't already dead, I'd kill you."

Something flickered in her aura and died down to almost nothing. Her cheerful presence was replaced by a sorrowful one, but it didn't placate the furious youkai. Thanks to her, his strength was being questioned as he saw it and he didn't feel like starting a war to disprove the incorrect thoughts.

He started out of his thoughts when a soft voice whispered, "Gomen…trying to…help…gomen…"

It sounded like he was only catching snatches of what she said. "It doesn't matter. I'll have to clean up the mess anyway. Just…go sleep or do whatever you do."

"Gomen." She whispered before her aura vanished.

Sesshoumaru sighed and growled. Marching to the library, he steeled himself to remind those idiots questioning him just how powerful he could really be.

**~~**~~**

A month had passed and the musical laughter that had frequented the castle was now silent. No longer was singing heard flowing through the corridors, or tranquility vibrating within the walls. No, the castle was cold, unfeeling and quiet once more. Any attacks were once again put down by Sesshoumaru's troops while rumors flew wildly about the whereabouts of the ghost miko. Now the people who swore she cried where agreed with. Yes, many claimed to have heard her soft weeping in the garden while a cloud of sorrow seemed to permeate a corner of the rose maze at night. The castle was the way it had been before the miko had come. It had completely reverted back.

Rin picked absently at her food while she snuck a peek out the window. Sesshoumaru noticed her withdrawal and frowned. She was like a wilted flower that refused to snap out of it.

"Eat, Rin," he ordered.

The little girl looked at him and rubbed her nose where it itched on the side. "Why is Kagome-chan staying away from me?"

The youkai internally winced. He knew the miko was staying away because of him, but he really didn't wish to impart that bit of information to his daughter.

"Perhaps her time is up, Rin."

Rin frowned and nodded. "She told me she wouldn't be able to stay forever, probably. At least this time I got to say goodbye. She was like sunshine, Chichi-ue. I told her that once and she giggled, calling us the sunshine twins. We're the sunshine twins so how come she left?"

Sesshoumaru was seriously regretting being so harsh with the miko while looking at Rin's forlorn face. After his anger had vanished, he realized he'd done something incredibly stupid and not like him. Kagome was like that, though; she made him act irrational and impulsive. He knew she'd been tremendously guarding his home and he'd thrown it in her face. He couldn't even sleep through the night anymore. She had the habit of coming in every night at midnight and ruffling his bangs, whether he was asleep or not. Now, he found himself unable to sleep without the tradition. It made him even more irritated with her and himself.

Evening came and Sesshoumaru retired to his chambers. Just as he'd snuffed the candle by the bed, a flickering pink light appeared at the foot of his bed. With it came the scent of peaches, so long absent from the castle.

"Kagome?"

The light blinked and then transformed into a solid Kagome. Her head was bowed and she refused to meet his eyes. Slowly, she held out her hand as if waiting for him to give her something.

"Nani?"

"My ring, give it back," she said in a subdued voice.

His brows arched in confusion. Her ring? "Why?"

"Give it back," she said tightly.

Sesshoumaru crawled to the end of the bed and knelt before where Kagome knelt on the bed. Reaching out, he took her hand, only for her to yank it back to her.

"The ring, Sesshoumaru-sama."

"How is it you can appear now? What does the ring have to do with anything?"

Her body flickered, but then solidified after a moment. "I haven't used much energy in a month, I've got some stored up. The ring is what's keeping me with you. Give it back."

For some reason, his gut clenched and his heart twisted in pain. "Iie."

Her head jerked up and his golden eyes met her twin pools of sapphire. Her eyes were too wise and knowledgeable. They had lost much of their former innocence. An invisible fist squeezed his heart when he realized he was responsible for her state. Gently, ever so slowly, he brought his hands up and brushed her hair back. Her brow furrowed in confusion, but she didn't move away.

"Please," she whispered.

"Iie, Kagome. You'll be lost from this world forever if I return it."

"So? I'm supposed to be."

He sighed and rested his forehead against hers. "Rin and I would miss you. You belong here, Kagome. You belong with us."

Silent tears slipped down her cheeks. "I-I can't live like this, Sess-chan. Please don't ask me to. It's only a half life. It takes so much energy just for you to hear me."

Artistic clawed hands wiped away her tears before drawing her into his arms. "I'm sorry," he whispered.

"You're forgiven. It was bound to happen anyways. You have to let me go now."

His arms and tail tightened around her possessively. "I won't."

She flickered again and had a look of concentration when she reappeared. Sesshoumaru cupped her cheek and stroked her soft skin.

"I'll never let you go, Kagome," he said leaning down to whisper in her ear. "I love you, miko."

Kagome gasped and pulled back to search his eyes for any deceit or tricks. What she saw made her heart break. His golden eyes were filled with sorrow, worry, longing, and…love. They were overflowing with love for her.

"I love you, too," she said so quietly he almost didn't hear it.

Flashing her a real smile, he bent and claimed her lips in the gentlest of kisses. His lips were feather light and thorough, making Kagome's heart ache with the sweetness of it. He was showing her a side that no one else was privy to. He was showing her, proving to her, that he could give as well as take. He was leaving the decision up to her.

When he pulled back, he placed her ring back in her hand and curled her fingers around it, but didn't let go. Kagome held her breath and clasped his hand.

"I don't want to leave you," she sobbed. "It's not fair! If you don't loose me now, you will someday because I'm human. I can't stay in this half and half state either. I don't know what to do!"

He shushed her and pulled her against his bare chest. "It'll turn out all right, Koishii."

"How will it?"

"I don't know; it's a mystery."

That earned him a strangled giggle and a light swat on the arm. Before she could retort, she was suddenly pulled violently from his arms. A bright light surrounded her when it faded, she fell back into his outstretched arms. Brushing her hair out of her face, he gasped when he found a female inu youkai in the place of the human Kagome. She had been transformed.

When she roused, she blinked bright blue eyes at him and grinned. "Midoriko put in a good word for me. Seems I get to stay with you a little bit longer."

"How long?"

"Oh, a tiny thing called forever."

Sesshoumaru chuckled and grinned at her. Before she could blink, he'd pulled her into another, much more heated, kiss.

And they lived happily ever after with their adopted pups, Shippou and Rin; their biological children: Eikichi, Fuyuki, Harmony, Faey and several more. But that's another story.

**~~**~~**

I do not own Inuyasha. I swiped a couple of lines from `Shakespeare in Love,' but those aren't mine either. A cookie to those who can guess which ones. I just liked those lines. I also don't own the song `Born to Fly' by Sara Evans.

A jonquil is a type of flower related to the daffodil. What can I say? I suck at titles and at summaries. I hope you readers like this one even though it is off my usual track and has considerably less fluff.

11