InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Just a Drop ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

I do not own Inuyasha and Company, no matter how happy it would make me. Rumiko Takahashi does.
 
This was written for MF_Sanctuary 's (http://community.livejournal.com/mf_sanctuary/) Week 18, theme Black Magic (Word Maximum 500).
 
 
If someone had told him a year ago that he would seek the aid of another he would have killed them.
 
If someone had told him a year ago that he would seek the aid of a human he would have killed them slowly.
 
If someone had told him a year ago that he would seek the aid of a witch he would have killed them slowly and painfully.
 
If someone had told him a year ago that he would seek the aid of a witch on the behalf of a human, well, they wouldn't have been able to complete their thought before their head hit the ground.
 
If someone had told him… but no one had.
 
 
No one had warned him that she would slip her way into his life.
 
No one had warned him that she would sneak her way past his defenses.
 
No one had warned him that she would become a part of his pack.
 
No one had warned him that she would creep her way into his heart.
 
If someone had warned him… he wouldn't have believed them anyways.
 
 
And so here he stood before a witch on behalf of a human child, his child. He'd saved her life once already and she'd been attacked countless times since. So far he'd always been close enough to protect her. So far he'd been fast enough to keep her safe. So far… but the fact remained. She was human. She was weak and vulnerable and he wouldn't always be there, couldn't ensure that he would always make it in time. She was helpless as a human child and he couldn't live without her.
 
She'd become a fixture in his life. He no longer woke thinking only of himself and his lands. He woke thinking of what she'd have for breakfast. He woke thinking of how she'd like to pick flowers in a nearby field. He woke thinking of how she'd need a new kimono soon. He woke thinking that if something happened to her he would never want to wake again.
 
He could finally admit to himself, even if he could tell no other, not even her, he loved her like she was his own child… and soon she would be. It had taken months to find a witch with the necessary knowledge. It took even longer to gather all the rare and necessary ingredients. It seemed like it took forever for the potion to be complete, but now it was. Only a single drop of his blood was needed and then she would no longer be weak. A single drop of blood and she would no longer be vulnerable. Just a drop and she would no longer be helpless.
 
A prick from his claw and a tiny red droplet fell into the vial of liquid.
 
A flash of light and a little girl drank it down.
 
A cry of pain, still nothing but trust in her eyes.
 
A human dies and an inu pup is born.