InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Just to see you smile ❯ Just to see you smile ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Title: Just to see you smile
 
Author: Anonymous Fangirl
 
Genre: Songfic/One Shot
 
Summary: Based on the hit Tim McGraw Song; Hojo's feelings for Kagome
 
Pairing: Indicated Hojo/Kagome; Inuyasha/ Kagome
 
Rating: Wow… this rating is so low I don't even know what it's called… K? I'll check when I post.
 
Dedicated: To Greg Sihler. Here's to you, Greg-gy boy ^.~ Cheers!
 
 
 
Just to see you smile
 
 
 
 
 
Hojo sighed deeply as he watched Kagome out to lunch. He had been here again… the man in red… Kagome had tried to make him go away, so that she could do her work… he had seen it. But no. The man in red had just sat there and waited paitently for Kagome to get out of class.
 
 
You always had an eye for things a glitter
 
 
Hojo had used to wonder where Kagome went all the time. There was no way anyone was that sick. Especially not his Kagome Higurashi, prefect attendance record up until this last year. Pretty, smart Kagome. Who somehow ended up with him.
 
 
But I was far from being made of gold
 
 
No, Hojo wouldn't do anything to stop their releationship. But as he swept the classroom, he took a quick glance out the window. Se was sitting down there with him, sharing her lunch with him, smiling, laughing, screaming something- look at that, the bastard fell flat on his face- and comforting him with a pat on the head as she smiled down at him.
 
 
I don't know how but I scraped up the money
 
 
Hojo smiled. That smile. It was what had made her catch his attention all those years ago, back in elemantary school. Kagome probably didn't even remember him. It was before her father died, before she had to move to Tokyo. They had both been in the same elementary school in Kyoto. He remembered the day when she had first showed up. He was in second grade, she in first. Her mother and father had both been with her then, her mother pregnant with Souta. Kagome was holding each of her parents hands, and she gave them each the brightest smile he had ever seen.
 
The same smile she now bestowed upon him.
 
 
Just like when you were leaving Amerillo
 
 
Hojo also remember the first time he had seen her cry. It had near about boke his heart. The teacher ha gotten a call. There had been a car accident. Her mother and her father were on their way home from dropping the kids off- Kagome to second grade, Souta, the babysitters, when they were hit. Her mom was in the hospital… but her father was no longer alive.
 
Kagome had simply frozen. He hadn't heard the news until later that day, but when he saw the teacher talking to Kagome, and she suddenly froze… well, it had almost been more than he could handle.
 
 
Taking that new job in Tennesse
 
 
 
Kagome had gone to live with her grandfather then. He didn't think that he would have ever seen her face again… her smile.
 
But when he too moved to Tokyo, thanks to his father's job, and realized that in the next year, she would be coming to his high school, his heart had done a strange sort of twist. He remembered her. And as soon as he had seen her, he knew that he would have to find a way to win her heart.
 
 
I quit mine so we could be together
 
 
The opportunity hadn't shown up… not until she got her first “diesease.” Hojo smield as he remembered. He had begged and pleaded with his parents to let him get her the gifts. His parents had allowed him to get a job at Wacdonald's, and Hojo used his first pay check to buy Kagome the best supplies he could find.
 
 
I can't forget the way you looked at me
 
 
And when she smiled at him for the first time in years, he knew that it had all been worth it.
 
 
Just to see you smile
I'd do anything
That you wanted me to
When all is said and done
I'd never count the cost
It's worth all that's lost
Just to see you smile
 
Hojo realized that he must have sat in the window staring longingly at her for a second too long, because in the next moment she froze and slowly turned to face him. Hojo didn't know what to do. He felt… well, slightly betrayed. He cared for Kagome… and there she was with him.
 
Hojo tried to glare… he really did. But somehow it must have turned out as a smile, because that's what she sent him.
 
He watched her grab the arm of the man in red and she began to pull him towards the classrooms.
 
 
When you said time was all you really needed
 
 
Hojo froze up. She was bringing him here? To this classroom? To meet him?! He wasn't sure what to do. Sure, he couldn't really challene the man's claim on Kagome, as he had neverhad a claim on here, but still… it was Kagome. Ever since they were kids, he had thought that one day, when they were older, he would make her his wife or something…
 
 
I walked away and let you have your space
 
 
“Hojo-kun?” Kagome asked as she opeend the door. “I want to introduce my friend to you.” Hojo looked around. He was dirty, covered head to toe in chalk board powder and dust from the floor. Of all the days to introduce the man in red to him, it had to be the one day he looked harmless as a lamb.
 
Though that didn't hurt me near as badly
 
 
“Okay, Higurashi-san.” Hojo told her, proud that his voice didn't betray his emotions.
 
 
As the tears I saw rolling down your face
 
 
Kagome opened the door all the way, and Hojo was surprised to see that the man in red was not only handsome- much more handsome than Hojo could ever even hope to be- but built. Even through the strange Haori, it was obvious that the man could win any fight that he wanted. He had a certain bad boy look about him… but a smile on his face when he looked at Kagome that softened his eyes.
 
Hojo wondered if he knew that his eyes did that.
 
 
And yesterday I knew just what you wanted
 
 
“Hojo-kun, this is Inuyasha.” Kagome said as she gestured Inuyasha in front of her. Inuyasha held out one hand- Hojo wondered momentarily who in the world he grew his nails out so long- and Hojo promptly took it.
 
“Hello, Hojo-kun.” Inuyasha hissed out, not even bothering with trying to conceal his contempt for Hojo. Hojo couldn't blame him- after all, he hated him too.
 
“Inuyasha.” Hojo said, trying to crush his fingers in his hold. But Inuyasha only smirked and returned the force ten-fold. Hojo winced and fought to not go to his knees.
 
 
When you came walking up to me with him
 
 
“Inuyasha, knock it off.” Kagome said as she shook her head. “Well, Hojo, I wanted you to meet him. Inuyasha and I…”
 
Hojo knew that she was going to say it. Of course, he wished his damndest that she would stop right there. Please don't finish… please don't tell me that you're with him!
 
“…We're getting married.” Inuyasha said, a silly half grin on his face as he held up Kagome's ring finger. A rather gaudy pink jewel shone deeply, making Hojo long to reach out and grab it, wish that Inuyasha had never been born.
 
Hojo felt his stomach give in. He thought for sure he was going to throw up. His chance had passed. Kagome was gone forever.
 
 
I told you I was happy for you
 
 
Hojo forced a smile on to his face. He held out his hand once more and shook Inuyasha's with renewed vigor. “Good for you two! I'm happy you could be happy!”
 
 
And given the chance I'd lie again
 
 
Hojo knew by the look of relief on her face, the tears of joy in her eyes, that it had been the answering she had been hoping for. Hojo felt his heart shatter in to a million pieces as he watched them walk away, smiling and laughing together.
 
But he smiled.
 
After all, if she could be happy, it was all worth it.
 
Just to see you smile
I'd do anything
That you wanted me to
When all is said and done
I'd never count the cost
It's worth all that's lost
Just to see you smile
 
 
Just to see you smile
I'd do anything
That you wanted me to
When all is said and done
I'd never count the cost
It's worth all that's lost
Just to see you smile
 
 
 
After all, he loved her.