InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Kagome's Heart ❯ Kagome's Heart ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Naraku laughed. His tentacles shot out, narrowly missing impaling the badly wounded Inuyasha. He laughed again. The coldness of the sound echoed throughout the clearing. Sango was down. Miroku guarded her with his staff, his kazaana rendered useless by the swarming saimyoshou. Kagome was defending Shippo from the various youkai who had swarmed after them, following Naraku. She didn't look like she would hold out much longer.
 
Overall, Naraku was winning the fight. That is, until Sesshomaru appeared from the shadows of the forest, wielding Tokijin. As Sesshomaru distracted Naraku, Inuyasha attacked from behind with Tetsusaiga, to no avail. Suddenly, another form materialized from the depths of the forest. Kikyo stood, observing the chaos, and raised her bow. She drew back the arrow, and fired. The pink purifying aura swarmed around it, and drove into Naraku.
 
The ensuing pink blast knocked Sesshomaru and Inuyasha back. The last they saw of Naraku was his jyaki vanishing into dust to be scattered by the wind. Everyone on the battlefield turned and stared in amazement at the dead miko.
 
Kagome woke with a start. Ugh, bad dreams. At least, I woke up in time. She did not have to bear seeing what followed the defeat of Naraku, Kikyo and Inuyasha's reunion, and Inuyasha's vow to live with her. Kagome had watched it all, and her friends immediately glanced at her, but she gave away nothing. It was expected, after all.
 
I don't know why I hoped for so long.
 
It had been almost a month since Naraku's defeat. Kagome had remained to have her injuries treated, and to offer support for her wounded friends. But, now that she was healed, she planned to return to her time.
 
I can't bear to watch him anymore.
 
Inuyasha had not spoken to her since several days before the fight. He no longer noticed her presence. Her heart was torn every time she saw him and Kikyo together.
 
But they look so happy together. I can't blame them. I wish for them to be happy, even though I will be unhappy. Kagome smiled a bittersweet smile.
 
She looked around Kaede's small hut. Sango and Miroku curled up together, having come to terms at the end of the battle. Shippo was sleeping next to Kirara. Dawn began to break over the mountains.
 
Kagome knew that Kikyo and Inuyasha had long been gone, to wherever they vanished to. I will not let it drag me down. I may be hurt, but I will heal...I will heal.
 
The dry well. It was the place where it all began, and where it would end. She had come out of this well exactly two years ago. Time to go home.
 
Without looking back, Kagome jumped, and left behind her the Sengoku Jidai, her friends, and Inuyasha.
 
Inside the well house, Kagome looked down the well shaft. She held the completed Shikon no Tama. Naraku had gathered all the shards; and he had formed the jewel, only to have it taken at his death. Kagome held it in her outstretched palm over the well.
 
We've been through so much together. So many happy times, and sad times. However, I cannot stay. I can't forget that I don't belong with you. Please, forget me, and be happy.
 
Sango and Miroku, be happy together. Have many children, and hold them dear.
 
Shippo chan, grow up to be strong, and be brave. Never lose your sweetness. Find another to love, to hold dear, and protect.
 
Inuyasha, may you and Kikyo live happily. I may have only created a ripple within you, but I want you to be happy. I want the hurt to be healed. Though I die a little when I say this, Kikyo is the best to do that. She is from your time, and she loves you. She can heal your heart. I will go on. Forget about me, and live happily.
 
The Shikon no Tama glowed as it absorbed the wishes, and it dissolved into pure power as it fled down the well. It passed through the time slip, and was sucked into each of her friends.
 
Kagome felt it all. She felt her friends awaken, with happiness and love filling their souls, their memories of her fading away. She also felt the time slip seal, forever locking her away from them, and sealing them to their time and happiness, and her to her time and despair.
 
Kagome stepped through the well doors, to a beautiful dawn in modern Tokyo. At the sight of the radiant sky, she felt her heart begin to heal.
 
It may take a long time, I may never recover. My heart will always be scarred from my meeting with you. But, I will go on. As will you.
 
I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly,
Though it's not easy to tell you goodbye.
Gotta take a risk, take a chance,
Make a change, and break away.
Out of the darkness and into the sun,
But I won't forget the place I come from.
I've gotta take a risk, take a chance,
Make a change, and break away.
Break away, break away.
-Kelly Clarkson, Break Away
 
 
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~
 
Several weeks had passed since Kagome made her wish on the Shikon no Tama. School had taken on an almost melancholy sense, like something that wasn't entirely real.
 
Kagome sighed. I keep expecting Inuyasha to come pick me up. But, that's not possible, is it?
 
In lieu of anything to distract her, mainly the coming and going to the Sengoku Jidai, Kagome focused on her schoolwork, trying to catch up to where she was supposed to be at school.
 
It's amazing how much time I have now.
 
Certainly her friends had noticed that she was sad, but they couldn't really think of anything to do for her.
 
The years passed. Kagome graduated actually at her level, amazingly, and went on to go to college. She seemed completely normal, except that all her college friends noticed that she was sometimes unusually sad, and she never dated anyone, or even was interested in meeting boys.
 
As Kagome began her third year in college she focused on becoming a teacher. As a requirement she had to take Japanese History.
 
For the first time since she had closed the well she had to refocus on the Sengoku Jidai.
 
One day, a rather brisk autumn day, Kagome walked into class, and sat down as usual, chatting about the homework they had been assigned.
 
The professor arrived soon and began his lecture.
 
"Today's topic will be the common myth: The hanyou and his tragedy. As you all know, he first loved a miko, one of the most powerful, given the task of guarding the Shikon no Tama. But, their love failed when an evil force made them believe they had betrayed each other, and they both died. However, a new miko, came later and revived the hanyou."
 
"However, the hanyou, still hurt from his previous love, was never able to trust her. Upon the acquisition of the full Jewel, she used its power to try to give him happiness, by erasing herself and giving the hanyou what he had lost over 50 years before. She then vanished into history. But, the hanyou never was able to heal from her disappearance. He lived out the rest of his life from the pain of losing something he didn't even remember."
 
Kagome sat, in shock, through the rest of the lecture.
 
Why, why didn't I hear this while I lived at the shrine. Every myth about Inuyasha and Kikyo has to have passed through there at some point.
 
At the end of class Kagome ran from the hall to her room. She threw the door open only to run into someone.
 
Wait, my roommate is at class, so, who is this?
 
She slowly looked up, and was caught in an amber gaze. White hair fell down to cover her. Strong arms swept her into an embrace.
 
Held securely in Inuyasha's arms, Kagome wept.