InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Kaigen ❯ Little Things ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Kaigen

Chapter One: Little Things

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha, or the characters in it. I may have some original settings, or characters, and those are mine.

~~~

Kagome stirred, her eyes fluttering.

"Kagome! You're awake!" a delighted voice cried.

"Mama?" Kagome opened her eyes completely, and looked into her mother's kind, gentle, worried face. "What happened..."

"Souta heard a bump in the well, and when we got in there, you were lying on the ground, all beat up. Are you okay?" Mama's arms wrapped around the shaken girl, comforting her as she broke into weeping. "What's wrong?"

"Inu-yash-a... He's gone, Mama... I think he's gone..." The girl collapsed on her mother's shoulder, sobbing hysterically. "Something happened... and they should be here, and they're not... and it's all confusing... Is he here? Inuyasha! Inuyasha!" the girl called, her eyes closed.

"He's... not here..."

"Where is she, jii-chan? Let me through-"

"No, Souta, you can't-"

"Nee-chan!" Souta broke into the room, "Are you okay?"

"Souta, she needs to be alone..."

"What's wrong, 'nee-chan? What happened?"

"Souta, get out..."

"Nee-chan! You're crying..." Souta's eyes blurred, and he ran up. holding Kagome's, he looked up at her. "What's wrong?"

Kagome broke a weak smile between her sobs, "Nothing's wrong, Souta... I'm fine..."

"No you're not! I know... you look like someone died..."

"SOUTA! To your room. NOW!" Mama yelled, possibly for the first time in years, as Jii-chan led him off. "Kagome, hush, baby... It's all right, don't you worry now, I'm sure he's fine..."

"But Mama...He looked so shocked..."

"You need some rest..."

"Alright, Mama..." The girl laid down, crshing her cheek into her pillow, wrapping her arms around another for comfort. Mama Higurashi looked on sadly, hoping that whatever had brought her daughter back in such a state was not as bad as it seemed.

~~~

The next morning, Kagome was awake and optimistic.

'He's gotta be alive. If he isn't, I'll be sad and mourn for him then, but right now all I can do is hope for the best, and make sure I stay healthy so I don't die... I guess I can try to look up what that thing was..."

Kagome turned to her self, a metaphorical treasure trove of information about the Sengoku Jidai . She had told her friends that Jii-chan wanted her to read up on the Shrine. That was all and well, unless they noticed that about 80% of the Sengoku Jidai books she bought were youkai-based, and that she had ordered a bunch of REALLY old maps and stuff from overseas. Then they might be suspicious... Or as suspicious as a group of Japanese high school girls be, when they dont seem to think one of their friends in faking when she recently has seemed to come down with 90% of all diseases in the world, including near fatal ones, and survived each one. Even when that friend pops upm in school every so often, healthy as an ox.

Pulling out her most obscure volumes (One mentioned a passing reference to Kagura, it seemed... 'Wind Witches' was one of the entries, a tribe of women who could fly, run as fast as the wind, and smash whole villages with the wave of a small fan...) Kagome searched for anything that might even have a reference to the monster...

She didn't find it, but in a legends book it mentioned Hohitosashi, the flame dancer, a warrior who weilded a sword 'tall as a young man, fur encircling the bottom of the blade, and no sheth in the land could hold it.' 'When Hohitosashi died, itwas disputed as to where it would lay. It eventually found it's way to a village, where a miko called Midoriko stored it in a sealed box'...

"Wait a second... Midoriko was the creator of the Shikon no Tama..." Kagome whispered in silent delight. The sword had a connection to Midoriko, so maybe someone in the Sengoku Jidai could tell her... Maybe Kaede-baachan...

Kagome then remembered thst sometimes it had notes about things in the back, so she turned to the notes pages.

Pg. 457 Notes

*Hohitosashi's sword was guarded by a fierce youkai, threatening anyone who dared come near it. Some say them youkai was slain, or left the guardianship for some other task. Said to be an enormous Cat youkai by the name of Kolala

"Ko-la-la... Ki-ra-ra! It's been jumbled over the years... Or maybe they just sound alike...." Kagome sat down on her bed. "I think I'll be able to go down the well tomorrow..."

"Nee-san!" Souta voiced from the other side of the door. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, Souta..." What Kagome didn't give voice to were her worries that she wouldn't be in a few days.

"Okay... I'll go now... Is Inu- Nevermind" Souta closed the door and walked out of the room, heading to his own. 'Nee-chan...' he thought, 'I hope you ARE okay...'

Kagome almost burst into a new fit of tears, then remembered to herself. 'Inuyasha is strong, he's survived worse... He'll be there when I gaet back... I know he will... and so will Kouga-kun...'

Kagome smiled weakly to herself, then looked out the window. Calls were coming from her friends out on the streets.

"Kagome! Are you okay? Is your bronchitus really bad?" they called from outside.

"Actually..." she smiled, "I'm feeling alright now!"

"Wanna go out for a 'burg?"

"Sure!" Kagome called out, then raced down the stairs. "Mama, can I go out with my friends?"

"No."

Kagome stopped midstep, turning her head slowly towards her mother.

"Why not?"

Mama looked up from her book, pulled off her reading glasses, and looked at Kagome worriedly. "I may have my mother's eye problems, but I can still see what's happening. You wake up after we find you unconcious in the well, burst into tears, leave me with a small hint and otherwise tell us nothing, and then go out with your friends? Kagome... I really think you should stay..." Mama Higurashi's semi-stern tone whad faded into a worried plea. "Kagome, I don't think you should..."

"Mama! I'll be fine... I need to get some fresh air, clear out my head, and... I'll tell you when I get back, okay?" Kagome pleaded in turn.

Her mother looked down. "Alright, Kagome, go... I think you have a better knowledge of what you need right now..." she said, without a hint of sarcasm. "I'll have some oden ready for whenyou come back, okay?"

"Okay, Mama, I'll save room!"

Exit Kagome.

5 minutes elapse

Enter ~Unknown~

"You know, Mi-chan, you really should read closer to the light...." the man said, dropping his plaid, blue and green fedora on the ground and sitting opposite her. His long coat tickled his ankles, and he pulled up a foot to scratch it.

"Kurama-kun, I have no time for this..."

"Mi-chan... Let's take a walk..." He suggested, looking at her closely. "You know you only read those magazines to keep up your image... I know you like trashy romance novels as much as I do..."

Mrs. Higurashi smiled. "And that's a lot... Okay, but I have to be back soon... Kagome wants her oden..."

She stood, placing her reading glasses in the desk, and grabbed a coat. "It's a bit chilly..."

Kurama stood, walking up to her and standing beside it. "You're a big girl, you can handle it..." he smiled.

Exit Mrs. Higurashi and Kurama

~~~

"Soooo, Kagome,how are your hospital friends?"

Kagome gulped, and managed totalk in a normal voice. "Well, my friends and the rest still come in a lot, checkups... But one of them is in really bad... me..." her voice cracked. "He might by dying...."

"Ohhhhhhhhhhh, Kagome..." her friends came closer to offer comfort.

"He'll be okay..."

"Don't worry..."

"He'll make it..."

Then the waitress came to take the order, a girl their age... She was smiling and chewing some gum. She had a cheerful face, long brown hair and chocolate eyes. "May I take your order?" she asked dully.

"We'll take three 'burgs...Himeko? You work here? This is your special, permitted afterschool job?" Kagome was immediately interested.

"Yeah, I spend a lot of time down here... Three 'burgs? Comin' right up..." she smiled and headed off to the counter .

"Kagome, you're not getting one?" her friends asked.

"No, my mom's making oden..." she smiled. "Best food in the world, oden.."

"Hmmm... I like okonomiyaki better..." one said dreamily. "So yummy..."

"Oh, look at the time! I've gotta go! Bye, guys!" Kagome said, rushing out the door.

"Here's your- where'd Kagome go?" Himeko asked, appearing with their order.

"Family thing. 'S alright, we'll eat the hamburgers...."

------

Yu like? It took me forever, but viruses kiled my fanfics... Here ya go! It'll be awhile between chapters...