InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Keeper of Humanity ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Hey, Kagome, the lord has called a meeting and wishes for you to be there,” a masculine voice said from behind a closed door.
A raven-haired girl looked up at the door and grimaced. “Why? Just so he can make another big deal about how I'm being unfair by being the only one who knows where the Shikon no Tama has been hidden?” she said sarcastically, bashing the man who was allowing her to live in his home, though she knew better than to believe it was just a sudden act of kindness. She could see through his charade. She knew he was only allowing her to live with him and his family so he could eventually break her and find where she had hidden the enviable jewel. If he had found where it was hidden, it wouldn't be a minute before he had it in his grubby, greedy hands.
“Oh, come on. Just humor him every once in a while,” the male voice on the other side of the door told her, though with very little persuasion. “By, the way, are you decent? I'm not a big fan of talking though the door,” he told her.
She rolled her eyes. She was probably the only person whose privacy he respected. “Yes, you may come in, Miroku,” she told him.
The familiar nineteen-year-old boy walked through her door. His dark hair was pulled back into his usual, small ponytail, and he wore the same golden earring in his left ear. His dark eyes complemented his hair, and he wore his normal purple and black monk robes, though he could hardly be considered a monk. His was the biggest skirt-chaser she had ever seen in her life.
Kagome threw a neutral-colored cloak over her body, and pulled the hood up over her head, hiding her features.
Miroku eyed her suspiciously. “And just where do you think you're going, young lady?” he asked her, teasingly, as if she'd be in big trouble for going into town unaccompanied.
“Ha ha, Miroku, very funny,” she said sarcastically, opening a makeshift door which was placed in the back of her room, which allowed her to escape the grounds she was practically trapped in by the lord of the village.
=-=-=-=-=
A tall, white haired boy paced back and forth in front of a door. He could only barely make out the voices of his half-brother and several other demons having a very serious conversation. Obviously about the Shikon no Tama. There was nothing else they could be discussing so seriously.
He continued pacing, contemplating whether or not it would be wise and worth it to walk in and interrupt their conversation to present his own plan to them.
He continued pacing, contemplating the possible consequences of the action, then stopped as realization hit. They wouldn't listen to him, even if his idea were extremely plausible and possible. He was only a half-demon after all. And that half was exactly why his plan would work.
He glared at the door, still contemplating whether or not to barge in.
Even if they did listen to him, he wouldn't get any credit for anything if he succeeded, though, he knew that good and well. But if he failed, all blame would be placed on him.
He made up his mind then and there. He would do this on his own. He didn't need the help of his brother or any other demon, for that matter. He was perfectly capable regardless of his blood. He turned away from the door and walked off, his sights set on his goal, his prize, the Shikon no Tama. He was going to get it. He would prove to everyone that a half-demon was just as capable.
He headed to the edge of the village in which the only mortal whom demons actually bothered themselves with lived. The only living being on the face of the earth who knew where the jewel had been hidden those many, many years ago. Kagome Higurashi.
As he neared the edge of the village, he could clearly see where the barrier preventing demons from entering lied. It was hardly transparent, almost translucent, making the houses and people in the background nothing but a small blur.
He held his breath as he neared the barrier. He wasn't entirely sure how it would feel to go through the barrier since half of his blood was demon blood.
He bit his lower lip as he reached out to touch his only obstacle. His hand felt warm against it—nothing he couldn't handle.
Bracing himself, he pushed his hand harder against the barrier. The heat in his hand increased, though he could still see his task through—his had had already partially penetrated the blockade keeping him from his destination.
He closed his eyes as he felt the heat rising up his arm and getting hotter by the second. He leaned his weight towards the barrier so he wouldn't be able to stop himself from falling though.
His fingers suddenly became cold, and he snapped his eyes open. His fingers were on the other side, and the rest of him wasn't far behind. He, again, braced himself, but this time for the heat he knew would hit his face in only a matter of seconds.
The now searing heat had hit his face, and he only bit his lip harder, vaguely hoping it wasn't bleeding.
Slowly, but surely, the heat continued to engulf his body, and now there wasn't a thing he could do about it. Most of his weight was rendered immovable due to the heat surrounding him.
The coolness of the other side of the barrier was what he attempted to focus on—his reward for endurance and perseverance.
Slowly the cool air trickled up his arm and to his shoulder. He could feel his face cooling down now, close to the freedom of the other side.
Once his head and shoulders had made it through the barrier, he forced his legs through. It was fairly easy now that he was almost accustomed to the heat.
After the first foot hit the ground on the other side, he forced his other leg through, now a simple task, and had freed himself entirely from the uncomfortable heat. He could now begin his search for the only girl with knowledge of the jewel. It couldn't be that hard, right?
His knees suddenly buckled and sent him tumbling to the ground. His vision became black. `Great, just great. That's just what I need,' he though irritably just before losing consciousness.
=-=-=-=-=
A/N: Well ,there you have it. I was going to put one of these on the preface, but I was pressed for time, so I… didn't have time… Anyways, I just really want to get this out of my system. Okay, I'm 5'7”. Right? I looked up some of the characters, and found that Sesshoumaru was only 3 INCHES TALLER THAN ME!!! I was so mad! He's supposed to be tall and menacing!! But, 5'10”? Come on! And InuYasha, he's an unbelievable 1 whole inch shorter than I am! And what about Kagome? 5'1” and her legs are that long? I don't think so. Okay, I'm done with my rant now. Sorry if this has annoyed anyone, I just had to get that out… Anyways, I hope you all enjoyed this chapter!