InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Lady Kagome ❯ Chapter 43 ( Chapter 43 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Tension in the camp was high on the morning of the day Naraku intended on showing up. Everyone intending to fight was gathered and awaiting the word of either Lady Kagome or Lord Sesshoumaru as clearly they were the only youkai of high bearing that could lead such a force. Lord Sesshoumaru stood straight, facing the hord of fighters, the wind gently running over his pristine silk attire. His visage set in his infamous stoic mask, his eye full of determination that only Kagome and Inu Yasha recognized. He steeled himself to accept whatever outcome the battle would bring. He had feared that Kagome's own words would come true.

‘You have to understand. I'm not of this time era. I'd happily say yes, but we've still to face Naraku. Once the jewel is complete, a selfless wish must be made of it so the jewel's curse will disappear. After such a wish is made, I have no idea what will happen. If I'm forced back to my time, I have no idea if I'd ever see the both of you again. I hope to, however, I've never sensed a demon in my time. I'm afraid of losing you,’ Kagome said.

Sesshoumaru wanted to tap into his ability to foresee the future, an ability passed from his mother. But because of her death long ago, he had never bothered to find someone to train him and refused to call upon it to aid him. He refused because the battle was soon and it drained him greatly. In a way, he knew his mother was aware of her death when she chose to defend the palace, and in that, it gave him reason to regard the ability to foresee the future as a curse.

He stole a glance at Kagome, who stood by his side. Inu Yasha was on her other side. She wore a taijya outfit similar to Sango, but on Sesshoumaru's insistence and possessiveness to keep lustful gazes from her divine form, she had a loose fighting robe that had both her house colours and his. He was proud of her. She had come a long way. Only two days before, marked the fourth year she had been in the feudal era. She had grown up so much and yet still retained her naivete throughout her hardships. Sesshoumaru wondered if she would retain that innocent quality all her life and hoped that she would always be that way.

As Sesshoumaru was in deep thought, the smell of ashes, death and miasma hung in the air, almost making his lips curl in disgust.

'Naraku! He is here!'

"Prepare yourselves," Kagome called out, her voice firm and commanding.

Sesshoumaru nodded his approval of her taking the reigns of guiding the awaiting fighters.

'A natural born leader,' he almost smiled.

The day had been a beautiful one. Not hot or cold or too cloudy or too sunny. It was just right for a day about to get bloody. As the scent of Naraku grew closer, Sesshoumaru tensed, readying himself and noticing his brother doing that same. The sky began to darken, obvious that Naraku intended on using his miasma to protect his leagues of youkai.

Kagome felt the jyaki of lower class demons swell above in the darkened clouds. She felt nervous and berated herself that she had fought against Naraku countless times and now with her training she stood more than a fair chance. She felt uncomfortable in her clothes. Sango had given her a set of taijiya clothes and admitted to Kagome the night before that she was Sango’s sisters by heart. She shifted her clothes a bit and tensed, preparing her mind for the battle to break loose like a hurricane. She could smell the anticipation, the fear, the hope, and the anger wafting throughout the legions that had joined. Before dawn, the Lord of the South sent his entire force to aid them. It made her smile to know that so many supported the cause and had come to stand against the foul hanyou.

‘Many will die, but they will not die in vain.’

She gripped her twin katanas, leaving her heirloom sword sheathed. She had trained long with the katanas and favoured them.

‘Besides, they are lower class youkai. I’ll save the big dog, no pun intended, for last,’ she laughed dryly to herself.

Inu Yasha withdrew Tetsuseiga, transforming it. He was anxious to battle, so much that he bit his tongue, letting the blood pool in his mouth before swallowing. He found that in doing so, it fueled his will to fight. He adjusted his armor with his free hand, almost cursing out loud at Sesshoumaru for insisting that he wear it.

‘It’s my fucking birthright,’ he half imitated his brother, although Sesshoumaru had not cussed at him.

The armor was similar to Sesshoumaru’s and had spiked shoulder guards on both sides. He also wore a pelt that Sesshoumaru had bestowed upon him before dawn.



** FLASHBACK **

Inu Yasha woke up, prodded hard in the shoulder by Sesshoumaru.

“What the fuck do you want, bastard?” he asked grouchily, rubbing his bleary eyes.

“Must you be so uncouth, Inu Yasha? Come with me. It is important,” Sesshoumaru beckoned, and headed out of the tent that both brothers and Kagome had shared.

Inu Yasha grudgingl complied, hissing out a few cusswords and found Jaken handing Sesshoumaru a double tailed pelt. Inu Yasha froze.

‘It looks like Sesshoumaru’s and smells kind of like him and me.’

“This, Inu Yasha, is father’s Mokomoko-sama. Father was one of few inu youkai to be born with two tails, showing that he had power. Despite you being hanyou, you are my brother and the only thing you have is the Tetsuseiga. Please accept this and wear it. Perhaps it will help your youkai blood to become more agreeable. It still has father’s power,” Sesshoumaru offered it to him

Inu Yasha was at a loss for words. He had never been given much. Kagome and his father were the only people in his life that had given him something, out of the two, he had never seen his father in physical form. Now, his recently reunited half brother was actually giving him something that was possibly treasured by the demon lord.

‘My father’s tails.’

He slowly reached out, his hands so shaky that he gave up and ended up crushing his brother into a hug, the tears in his eyes threatening to slip, but he would not let them.

“Arigatou,” Inu Yasha choked out and removed himself from his brother.

“Turn around, brother,” Sesshoumaru requested.

Inu Yasha turned around and felt the gentle weight of his father’s pelt placed on him. He heard Jaken gasp. It was a true honour to receive the pelt in public as already several of the Western army troops had been gathered, mostly generals and other high ranking officers.

The soldiers hooted and hollered their approval.

It was then that Kagome shot her head out and growled, “Dammit, it’s early! Keep it down!”

It was then that both Inu Yasha and Sesshoumaru laughed out loud. The troops around were surprised. Sesshoumaru NEVER laughed.

“Get your lazy ass up, your Wenchiness,” Inu Yasha called out. “We gotta go kick Naraku’s butt! No time for your damn beauty sleep.”

They could hear her growl within, “Yeah, yeah, shut your pipe hole.”

** END FLASHBACK **



Inu Yasha finally noticed Naraku descending with his barrier and miasma wrapped around.

"Kukuku, so, you all have come to die. This shall be a most satisfying victory," Naraku's deep taunting voice washed over the allies.

"Hurry up you fucker and let's get this over with!" Inu Yasha shouted.

"Eager to die, are we, Inu Yasha?" Naraku laughed.

"No dumbass, ready to send you to Hell!" Inu Yasha replied with a smirk.