InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Laying Down the Law ❯ The Race Part I ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hey there again; this chapter took me quite a while and I actually split up two chapters; I planned to make the race and its preparation one chapter, but, as you can see, 13 pages was quite enough for one I thought. Lol. I introduce the Shici'nintai in this chapter, as I just saw those episodes, behind I know. OMG, BANKOTSU IS A LITTLE SEX GOD! HE'S SO HOT/COOL! Lol, I go crazy over anime guys like that sometimes. You also meet Ranbou is this chapter; he's one of my personal favorite original characters, Kouga's brother. Okay, enjoy everyone.
 
Thanks to my reviewers, new and old. We add Kay to the list. You're kickass too, Kay. BelovedLight also joined us, thank you very much. Also, blackrosevampire15 suggested we add some music to this story and I think I might just do that. I've been toying with the idea of adding a soundtrack to the beginning of each story so that everyone can feel what I feel when I write it. Like, during this section, play this song. I'm gonna try it out, I think.
 
Belovedlight
Kay
Cold Kikyo
Blackrosevampire15
PrinecssAngel
NICELY DONE
Darksaint
 
*!*!*!*
 
Sango played lazily with a sugar packet, drawing circles on the table with her finger as she told Miroku of Kikyo's breakdown and current stay in the psyche hospital. Miroku listened patiently, nodding and frowning at all the right moments; he had never seen Sango so emotional, weak or frightened before in his life. Frankly, it was startling and sent his whole world askew, but he would never admit this; Fangs had to be strong, manly, apathetic to all but the gang. It was hard when the woman you loved spilled her guts to you, though.
 
When she was finished, Sango gave a heavy sigh and leaned back against the booth, looking absently around the restaurant. It was your normal greasy spoon burger joint, complete with gruff waitresses and abominable coffee, but the location mattered less than the conversation. Frankly, Sango was grateful to Miroku for listening to her emotional dribble. In fact, she'd never felt this comfortable in conversation with a man before; Miroku made everything seem so realistic and as though it were perfect. It was hard to explain the spin Miroku put on things, but he made dreams seem achievable, like anything was possible and the world was tamable. He was quite comforting.
 
"I mean, what if she never gets better? What if she's on pills the rest of her life, falsely happy through the 'magic of medicine' or whatever? I don't want that for her!" Sango almost whined, crossing her arms as a chill ran through her body. Despite the booth she sat in, Sango's knees were pulled up to her chest as though she were trying to become small enough to disappear.
 
Miroku was silent for a moment as he configured his next words. Finally, he asked, "Do you remember back when Kikyo was going out with Kouga's brother?"
 
Sango blinked, thinking back to when her best friend had a week fling with Ranbou Ookami, leader of the Reikons. "Yeah. So what?"
 
"I still remember the day they broke up. It was a race night and Kikyo was looking for Ranbou when she found him making out with some racer chaser against the hood of his Mustang. You remember that?" Sango nodded, smiling a little; of course she remembered. Miroku continued telling the story, even though Sango remembered it; it was nice to hear it again, anyway. "She walked right up to him and said, 'Baby, you just lost the hottest piece of ass in Tokyo.' Then she walked back to us singing-"
 
"I'm gonna wash that man right outta my hair," Sango interjected quietly.
 
The two met eyes, neither daring to look away as they searched longingly for that one spark, the one truly visible sign denoting affection. In one split second, Sango found it, that undeniable love which Miroku had fostered for three years now...but she dared not get involved with him. It would only lead to heartache, she was convinced, and she looked quickly away, mumbling, "Thank you...for everything Miroku."
 
Sighing a little at his failed attempt to express his feelings, Miroku smiled slightly. "Anytime, Sango."
 
Again the two were captured by silence, but it was soon broken by the tinkling ring of Sango's cell phone. Glad for a distraction, she whipped it out of her pocket. "Speak."
 
"Hey byotch, it's Rin," came the other voice.
 
"Oh, hey. What's up?" Sango asked, smiling at Miroku as he smiled from across the table.
 
"We're getting ready at my house, be here in ten."
 
"Ten?! Jesus, you little slave driver. Fine, see you there." Flipping the phone shut, Sango glanced up at Miroku and said wearily, "I have to be at my fearless leader's house in ten minutes to get ready for the races. I'll drop you back at the warehouse. Sound okay?"
 
The two slid out of the booth as Miroku stretched his muscular arms. "Sounds good."
 
Sango couldn't help but stare as he unstiffened his rather impressive body and he peered sideways at her, a smirk forming on his face. "Like what you see?"
 
The girl just snorted. "You wish, Houshi. Let's go."
 
*!*!*!*
Sango pulled up to the warehouse, noticing the growing group of people beginning to mill about inside headquarters; the rest of the gang was showing up to ride to the race site together; Fang and Wildcat jackets were everywhere. As Sango's Civic rode on the gravel, several girls turned around and ran towards her, all dressed in amazingly revealing leather. One girl in particular was looking stunning this night as she jogged up in a black leather corset and red leather pants, dark hair flying out in molten steel rippled behind her; Sango knew her well.
 
Kaguya Wattanabe hurried to the driver's side window as Miroku jumped out, looking positively dazed by all the beautiful girls; it was the same at every race.
 
"Hey girl," Kaguya said with a weak smile.
 
Sango smiled in return, slightly stronger than her friend. "Hey. How you holding up since...well, last night?"
 
"Considering that my little sister's a nympho? Pretty good," Kaguya joked lightly, trying to laugh but failing. After a moment, she continued, "I visited her today. She's not doing too well, but the doctor said she'll recover in six to seven months, he thinks. She says you should come and visit soon."
 
Sango bit her lip, nodding slightly. "I will. Course I will."
 
"Good," Kaguya replied, looking almost relieved. Peering at Sango's ensemble, the beautiful girl quirked an eyebrow. "Haven't changed yet?"
 
"Heading over to Leader's right now," Sango replied, using the name which Rin went by to the gang. "I'm gonna sex myself up."
 
Kaguya laughed, giving the hood of the car a pat as Sango sped off towards Rin's. "Have fun!" she called, waving a little before running back towards the other girls.
 
Sango made it to Rin's rather quickly via the highway, exceeding a few speed limits, yet all in good taste. The servants recognized her car, as she'd been over quite a few times in the past, and they let her through the gate immediately. Pulling up the driveway, she could already see Ayame's crotch rocket and Rin's Mercedes in front of the house. Sango parked her car and pocketed her keys, walking straight through the front door without knocking.
 
A passing maid smiled, bowing a little and saying, "Good evening, Mistress Sango."
 
"Huh? Oh, hey," Sango said, still unused to be called 'mistress.'
 
Just then, the two heard a rather unearthly screech from upstairs. Sango returned her gaze to the maid, quirking a questioning eyebrow; the maid only continued to smile brightly. "Oh, nothing to worry about, it's only Lady Rin trying to force Miss Kagome into something provocative."
 
With this, the maid turned and continued dusting the vases and picture frames in the dining room. Sango sighed, turning and making her way up one of the curving staircases. Walking rather slowly to Rin's room, Sango peered inside to find Kagome dressed only in her underwear, hugging herself against the wall. Rin was holding up a leopard printed bikini top, insisting it was perfectly decent, while Ayame just shook her head from the window seat.
 
"Ahem," Sango said loudly, drawing the attention away from Kagome's frightened face to her presence in the doorway. "Hi?"
 
Rin didn't even bother to respond, only rushing to the door and dragging Sango inside. "Sango, tell her this is decent," the Wildcat's leader almost pouted.
 
Looking from the bra in Rin's outstretched hand to the horrified look on Kagome's face, Sango finally replied, "It's decent, just not for Kagome. Hold on, Rin, let me see your closet."
 
Kagome gave a sigh of relief as Sango walked over to her, taking her gently by the shoulder and ushering her towards the walk in closet. The two girls walked inside, looking at the veritable store's worth of black, red, pink, white and silver leather and cotton. Kagome turned to Sango and said with wide eyes, "God I love you. I thought she was gonna stick me outside in my bra or something."
 
Sango grinned, joking, "Oh, she's walk out in that before. Sesshomaru nearly threw up, I think."
 
While Kagome laughed, picturing the reserved boy about to lose his lunch over his girlfriend's provocative clothing, Sango flipped through racks of dress options. Finally, she selected a black, strapless corset belly shirt and a pair of black leather pants with flames licking at the bottoms; Sango recalled this particular pair of pants being to big for Rin. "This okay?" she asked.
 
Kagome's eyes almost glowed as she fingered the clothing. "This rocks, Sango!" she declared, voice rising several octaves.
 
Sango smirked. "Cool."
 
The two exited the closet, only to find Ayame completely top naked as she changed into her own clothing for the race. Kagome gave a small sound of surprise but Sango merely walked towards a pile of discarded leather clothes on the floor. "Are these Kagome's rejects?" she asked.
 
Rin popped her head out of the bathroom where she was brushing her teeth and replied, "Yesh," through a mouthful of toothpaste.
 
After picking through the clothes for a few minutes, Sango held up a red bikini top and black leather miniskirt. "This is alright," she announced, beginning to strip down.
 
Kagome soon realized that the Wildcats didn't care a lick about modesty and she decided to do as the Romans were doing. Throwing her selected outfit down on the ground, she unhooked her bra and began struggling into the strapless corset. After a brief moment of puzzling, Kagome decided to just attack the leather pants with great enthusiasm. She stepped into them and pulled up, trying her best to zip them but finding it impossible. Ayame, who was wearing a red leather skirt with black flames on the hem and a matching corset, had stopped brushing her hair to watch Kagome in her struggle. Sango too had paused what she was doing and finally took pity on the new girl.
 
"Kagome, try laying flat on your back on the bed and shimmying. You know, kind of wiggle," Sango tried to explain; putting on leather pants was no small task.
 
Deciding to take the girls advice, Kagome fell back onto the bed, bucking her hips and deftly zipping the zipper. She buttoned the pants quickly and gave a sound of triumph, standing and displaying her new ensemble. The girls all gave sounds of approval; Kagome certainly cut a dashing figure in leather. It clung to her curves, which were sadly understated in the clothes she normally wore, and brought out the beautiful cafe color of her skin.
 
Rin poked her head out of the bathroom, where she was now applying her makeup, and called, "See Kags? Your boobies were always there, they just wanted to come out to play! Now they look fantastic!"
 
At her cousin's words, Kagome flashed a wicked smile and crossed her arms haughtily. "They're just shy, okay?" Dressed in these clothes, Kagome suddenly felt liberated, as though she held power over the world and everyone in it. Despite the narcissism these clothes evoked in her, Kagome also felt...alive.
 
Ayame chuckled as she struggled to get a black stud through her cartilage piercing. "That was something Kikyo would've said," she remarked wanly.
 
The Wildcats leader strutted through the bathroom door, completely naked, and all but ran into her closet, screaming, "Where the hell are my stiletto boots?!"
 
The other girls knew this was a rhetorical question and ignored her angry whines, continuing on with their own conversation. Sango seemed to stiffen at Ayame's words concerning Kikyo, but she finally agreed, "You're right. They look a little alike, too. See?"
 
Kagome blushed under their scrutiny, clasping her hands behind her back and shifting awkwardly from foot to foot. Finally, Ayame nodded. "Mhmm, I see it."
 
Rin practically leapt out of the closet, wearing her aforementioned stiletto boots with a scandalous black miniskirt and matching leather corset top. Spinning around in what was supposed to be a flirtatious manner, Rin asked eagerly, "What do you think?"
 
Ayame and Sango only exchanged glances while Kagome quirked an eyebrow. "You look like a dominatrix."
 
"Good," came Rin's quick reply. Her lipstick was a dark, passionate red, accentuating the brilliant sheen of her dark hair, and Kagome suddenly realized how her bubbly cousin became the stern leader of the Wildcats; she commanded respect with her beauty.
 
"Let's go!" Rin urged, grabbing her gang jacket off a nearby chair and jogging out the door.
 
Sango sighed, sticking one arm through her jacket while simultaneously making her way towards the staircase. "Better follow," she murmured.
 
With that, Ayame and Kagome followed in hot pursuit, hurrying downstairs to the cars and motorcycle. They took off down the concrete pathway onto the street, making a beeline for the warehouse with the air practically alight with excitement. Tonight they raced not only for glory, but for honor. And the Fangs would not lose.
 
*!*!*!*
 
"Yo, Hakkaku, toss me the boot puller!"
 
Hakkaku, a wolf demon with a starch white mohawk, tossed the tool in Kouga's direction, leaning back against the hood of his black Maserati coupe. He seemed almost bored with all the hubbub around him, which included the screaming of arguing gangs members, raucous laughing and girls squealing about nothing in particular. This was the common scene on race nights as all those allied and involved with the Fangs met at headquarters, catching up on the past week's business or working their asses off to perfect their racing machine. As for Kouga, he was doing the latter with help from the Fang core and a few of their closer friends.
 
Ginta, another wolf demon with a mop of white hair and a skunk like black streak, peered at the motorcycle's cams with an experienced eye. "I think you got a loose one here, Ko."
 
"What?" the boy demanded. "Lemme see." Kouga got down on the floor to gain a good vantage point and winced. "Damnit, he's right. Yash, wrench!"
 
Inuyasha turned to the open tool box and grabbed the right sized wrench, tossing it in Kouga's direction. The wolf demon caught it deftly, ice blue eyes intensely focused as he was careful not to strip the bolt's moorings. Finally, convinced that the machine was in top shape, Kouga stood and wiped off his hands on a grease rag. Excitement ran through his gut as he observed the melee in the warehouse; he loved race nights.
 
Sesshomaru walked up in a white wife beater and black jeans, which accentuated his muscular body nicely, cigarette dangling from his mouth as he joined Hakkaku on the hood of his car. "Everyone ready?" he asked, smoke spilling from his mouth and nose.
 
Miroku walked up at this exact moment, taking a swig from his cold beer and replying, "I was born ready."
 
Bankotsu Hayashi turned from where he was inspecting Inuyasha's job on his car and he gave a low moan. "Houshi, that was the cheesiest damn line I ever heard."
 
Bankotsu was quite an impressive figure in his black wife beater and jeans, silver Cobra's jacket slung over the back of a nearby chair. His long dark hair was always braided behind him, wayward bangs framing a pair of crimson eyes, the very shade of blood. Needless to say, his looks and position as leader of the Cobras got a fair number of women in his bed; he was a known sleep around. He was an earth demon, and quite a powerful one, yet this little to deter his gang members; they were fiercely loyal to their leader for he took care of each and every one of them.
 
"I try," Miroku said cockily, throwing his arms akimbo as the others chuckled.
 
The group of boys dissolved into a conversation about the competition, only to be interrupted moments later. "Yo, Shomo!"
 
Sesshomaru turned his head, taking in the sight of Ranbou Ookami as he strolled towards the group, arrogant smile in place as he too smoked a cigarette. Ranbou was tall, strong, and quite the asset in any sort of fight, be it with hands, guns or knives. For the most part, he kept his long dark hair in a high ponytail like his brother, Kouga, and he had the ice blue eyes to match. He led a gang called the Reikons, meaning soul, and they were mostly mercenaries if anything else. They didn't smuggle or steal, but were always available if another gang needed someone "disposed of" without too much of a scene. In their quiet way, the Reikons were the number one group of assassins in the city and no one dared cross their path.
 
"Ranbou," Sesshomaru greeted with a smooth nod. "Racing tonight?"
 
The boy just chuckled, shaking his head and leaning against Bankotsu's Spyder. "Naw, I got engine problems."
 
Ranbou was an experiences motorcycle racer, but his Honda CBR600 F4i motorcycle always seemed to have mechanical trouble. Between the mechanics in the Fangs, Reikons, Wildcats and Cobras, they managed to keep the old hunk of metal going. No matter what anyone told Ranbou, he wouldn't get rid of the bike.
 
"I don't see why ya gotta keep that piece o' shit, Ran, why dontcha just get a new one? Not like you couldn't," Kouga said confusedly, shaking his head a little at Ranbou's decision to keep the motorcycle.
 
Grinning, Ranbou leaned over and gave Kouga a fierce noogie. "Aw, I love the CBR!"
 
Kouga squirmed out of his brother's way, muttering in wolf tongue, "Stick it up your ass, Ranbou."
 
"Temper, temper, little brother," Ranbou teased in a sing song voice, taking another drag on his cigarette. After a moment of silence, he asked Sesshomaru casually, "Any word from Shitora? She comin' back soon?"
 
Before his brother could answer the question, Inuyasha replied, "Not if she ain't a woman yet. So, knowin' Tora, no, not any time soon."
 
Kouga and Ranbou were nine months apart and, most of the time, got along very well. Before the tenth grade, the Ookamis and Taishos had lived next door to one another and they'd been very close. Kouga, Sesshomaru, Inuyasha and Ranbou ran around causing trouble, breaking into soda machines and that sort of thing, while Shitora was sort of the tag-along little sister...that is until she punched some boy in the mouth for bad talking Inuyasha. From then on, she was considered one of the gang, with only a little bit of teasing involved. Out of all the boys, Ranbou teased her the most, trying to make her run home crying to her mother. He never did succeed, as she always retorted in true Shitora fashion with a cussword or two. In truth, the boys really did miss her.
 
"HEY BITCHES!"
 
Everyone turned to face Rin and the Wildcats as they came striding into the warehouse, a sea of white jackets in the midst of all the black. The other Wildcats hurried up to them, exchanging greetings while many boys just looked on with gaping mouths. Every time Rin and the girls got dressed up, they got their fair share of cat calls.
 
Ranbou suddenly let out a low whistle and Inuyasha furrowed his brow. "What?"
 
The Reikon leader gestured with his right hand, cigarette firmly placed between his second and third finger, towards the Wildcats core. "Check out that hot number. She's new."
 
Inuyasha followed Ranbou's gaze and his jaw nearly came unhinged; Kagome looked like a goddess in her tight leather pants and corset belly shirt. Her make up was sparse but her attitude simply commanded the room; she seemed more liberated than he'd ever seen her and it was turning him on.
 
After a moment, he realized that Ranbou was talking about Kagome and he let out an unconscious growl in the wolf's direction. "Keep yer hands off."
 
The others looked at the hanyou in mild surprise. Sesshomaru said quietly, "Inuyasha, have you claimed Kagome?"
 
Inuyasha grew very red in the face and he retorted angrily, "No, I ain't claimed her, I don't want her! I'm just lettin' wolf shit know she ain't some one night stand, okay?"
 
Kouga and Sesshomaru exchanged knowing glances, hiding their smiles as the girls came walking over to them. Rin jumped up on the car hood next to Sesshomaru, leaning over and giving him a brief kiss before taking the cigarette from his lips. "Hey baby," she said, taking a long drag on the smoke.
 
"Hey. Ready?" Sesshomaru replied with a small smile, reserved only for his girlfriend.
 
"Of course," Rin replied arrogantly, blowing smoke into the air.
 
"Sango, my love, how wonderful you look this evening," Miroku said smoothly, gliding forward to gather Sango in an unexpected hug.
 
Sango burned a crimson red and looked at everyone bug-eyed over her shoulder, wondering what she should do to get out of this mess. Suddenly, she felt a foreign hand on her behind and she let out a yelp, leaning back and smacking Miroku hard across the face. Everyone gave a simultaneous wince as Miroku fell to the floor, goofy smile still present on his lips. Ah, to feel Sango's bottom again.
 
"Pervert!" she exclaimed, taking several steps back to hide herself behind Kagome and Ayame. This left the two girls in question in full view and Kouga let out a sort of strangled sound, looking down as though embarrassed by Ayame's beauty. She was so perfect to him that no words seemed to justify her and for that, he was silent.
 
"Oh, Kagome, this is Ranbou, Bankotsu, Hakkaku and Ginta," Rin said, gesturing to each boy as they waved in turn.
 
"Nice to meet you," Kagome said in a rich voice, quite unlike her normal high pitched sniff.
 
"New in town?" Bankotsu asked conversationally, braid falling over his shoulder as he leaned forward on the hood of his car.
 
"Yeah, just came in from Kyoto yesterday," Kagome replied.
 
Sesshomaru stood up, stretching his muscular limbs routinely before adjusting his jacket. The others knew this was a signal for them to do the same and everyone shut the hoods of their cars, donning their own jackets before following Sesshomaru towards the center of the room. He stood up on one of the chairs from the lounge area and the other leaders followed, grabbing their own chairs and standing tall alongside the Fang leader. Rin, Bankotsu and Ranbou all crossed their arms in a sort of powerful display, looking out on the crowd with absolutely no fear.
 
Sesshomaru looked over at Ranbou, who nodded in return and lifted his head. He let out a fierce howl, alerting the three hundred some odd gang members in the room, and everything fell dead silent; the other gang member knew that, should they not follow orders, they would be "dispatched" of by the Reikons. And that was certainly a terrible way to go.
 
"Tonight," Sesshomaru began strongly, "We race the Dragons, the Sharks, the Vixens, and, most importantly, the Tarantulas." The room let out a loud sound of disapproval, hisses, boos and all sorts of nasty words at the sound of the other gangs. The competition between the North and South gangs of Tokyo was fierce and those here in the South didn't want to hear tell of the Northern scum. Sesshomaru quieted the room with one snap of his fingers, continuing, "And we expect that everyone will hold themselves with dignity. If you start a fight you aren't prepared to finish, prepare to face the consequences. If you want to bring out weapons, that's your choice. Be aware that there won't be someone on your side there at all times, so exercise caution. We all know that the North doesn't exercise mercy."
 
There was dead silence as everyone thought how true these words were. Rin continued. "We'll have two events, three heats per event, which means that some gangs will have more chances than others. If you have a problem with that, keep it to your damn self." There was slight laughter and Rin almost smiled, but remembered she was in severe gang leader mode. "If, for some reason, we lose, don't go startin' shit. There will be hell to pay."
 
"We're better than the North and we expect everyone to act like it; don't stoop to their level. If you do, you have no honor," Bankotsu said cryptically; these were perhaps the most powerful words spoken yet and everyone hung their heads a little. Everyone in that warehouse had started stupid fights before and it weighed heavily on their mind just then.
 
"Most importantly, watch each other's backs; you never know what the North might do," Ranbou finished, smiling confidently and setting the room at ease with his confidence.
 
"Follow your leaders to the race location," Sesshomaru said, leaping off the chair as the room cheered and whistled, humming with excitement.
 
Kagome was caught up in a whirlwind of movement as everyone tried to get to their cars and she realized that the leader's were driving to the race alone, as in, with no one else in their cars. Just before she could panic, a familiar voice called, "Ride with me, Kagome."
 
She turned and met eyes with Inuyasha, giving him a thankful smile. "Sure."
 
Sango climbed in the car with Miroku, albeit quite reluctantly, since he'd asked her in such a polite manner. "Sango, if I promise to keep my hands to myself, will you ride to the race with me?"
 
Sango had only blushed a little, sighing and replying, "As long as you keep both hands on the wheel."
 
Kouga and Ayame met up where their bikes were parked and Ayame began putting on her helmet, stopping only when Kouga said suddenly. "Ayame."
 
The girl turned, green eyes wide and smiling as she looked expectantly in Kouga's direction. He composed himself before asking, "Will you ride with me?"
 
Ayame turned a light shade of pink, flattered by the offer, and glanced down at Kouga's outstretched hand. As he looked at her just then, blue eyes twinkling and face alight with his handsome grin, Ayame couldn't help but be very attracted to him. "Sure," she all but whispered. Putting on her helmet and hopping on the bike behind Kouga.
 
The leaders pulled out of the warehouse first, followed then by their core, and then by the rest of the gang. By this time, the sun was setting and dark was upon them as the many impressive cars and motorcycles flooded the streets of Tokyo. Each leader took different turns along the way, so passing police might not be suspicious by the herd of vehicles, and they all arrived at a neutral zone street just past Salter.
 
Inuyasha parked along the rode side, as did the others, and Kagome let out a breath; this was it, her first gang race. Inuyasha grinned, killing the engine and asking, "You nervous?"
 
"No," Kagome replied stubbornly, looking at the accumulating amount of people with a wary eye.
 
"Stick with me, you'll be fine," Inuyasha reassured her rather cockily, grinning a beautiful grin.
 
Kagome nodded a little, allowing herself to smile before exiting the car into the warm summer air. Just as Inuyasha and Kagome found the others, near what Kagome could see was the finish line, she heard the loud rumble of a sinister engine. The rest of the gang turned and growled as several motorcycles pulled up, revving their engines ostentatiously as scores of cars followed behind them. The riders all seemed to wear smiles of equal wickedness, looking ready to raise hell and start trouble on a Saturday night. While the Southerners jeered at the North, yelling obscenities and earning sighs from their leaders, the North parked their bikes and cars in the remaining spots.
 
Kagome's breath caught in her throat as a group of rather tough looking characters strode towards them, dressed in an assortment of colored leather and chains. In the center, flanked on either side by the other leaders, was Naraku Onigumo. Black hair fell in course waves down his back, crimson eyes the color of the blood he spilled daily, Naraku was a fearsome sight to behold. He wore nothing but black, including his black Tarantulas jacket with their red spider symbol on the back. He crossed his arms arrogantly, flashing an evil grin in Sesshomaru's direction. The Northern leaders stopped a mere foot from the Southern leaders, both groups looking as though they could barely tolerate the others.
 
"Taisho," Naraku said flatly.

"Onigumo," came Sesshomaru's controlled reply. "You know the terms, then?"
 
"Course we know the terms," one of the other leaders replied, red eyes flashing irritatedly. He was smaller than his fellow leaders, white as snow in both face and hair; he was obviously albino and wore a black jacket with the blue Sharks symbol on the back. He was Akago Tsume, leader of the Sharks, and a powerful mind reading demon. The Sharks were a group of smugglers who bartered with other gangs in different parts of Japan. The only difference between their business and the Fangs' business was the content; the Sharks smuggled drugs. Needless to say, they were quite popular with the seedier gangs.
 
"In a bad mood, Akago? I've got a friend who could fix that right up," a woman at Naraku's left said richly, vibrant red lips rivaling the shade of Rin's. Kagura Kaze, a wind demon, was the leader of the Vixens, an all girl gang gathered together for one specific purpose; to provide the other Northern gangs with female companionship. Each girl of the Vixens lived only to service the Tarantulas, Sharks and Dragons with sexual favors and none of them were above the idea of having more than one partner. There wasn't a girl in the Wildcats who wouldn't willingly rip out the throat of a Vixen. Kagura, in all her stunning but tainted beauty, was on and off with Naraku as it were. They were never together for more than a week, but that didn't mean they couldn't have sex.
 
Rin rolled her eyes as Kagura obviously offered Akago a girl to pleasure him. "Keep it to yourself, Kagura," Rin bit; though most thought Rin incapable of hatred, Kagura certainly came close to the standard.
 
"She wasn't talking to you, human," barked a gruff voice from Akago's right. Ryuukoytsusei Gekido, called Ryuu for short, was tall and host to a rat's nest of long, emerald green hair, a formidable opponent when battling with his claws. He was a Dragon demon, powerful and not to be crossed, the most valuable asset of the North as far as fighting was concerned. He was the leader of the Dragons, who were known to be the most ruthless gang of murderers in the city; they would just as soon kill their own mother if only to facilitate the gang. While the Reikons killed to help their Southern friends, the Dragons killed for the fun of it.
 
Sesshomaru's expression darkened immediately following Ryuu's vicious words and he said lowly, "Watch yourself, Gekido. You just might find yourself in trouble with the North. More than you already are."
 
Despite Ryuu's confidence in battle, not even he dared tempt the wrath of Sesshomaru Taisho. Certainly, he wouldn't back down from a battle with the dog demon, but now was not the time to make his move. He had to be patient. Ryuu only snorted, crossing his arms moodily across the chest of his black Dragon's jacket, with its green dragon symbol on the back.
 
"Pick the first race, Onigumo, we don't care," Sesshomaru said in a rather clipped tone, stung by the hostility shown in Rin's direction.
 
"Car first," Naraku said through his gnarled lips. "See you on the road."
 
The two groups broke apart and everyone let out a simultaneous breath. Everyone knew that, with one misplaced word, the North and South could be at each other's throats.
 
Though Rin showed no fear on the outside, the look in Ryuu's eyes had frightened her considerably, that burning charcoal, lifeless, bottomless, ready to reach out and swallow her whole. In truth, she was more reluctant to conduct business with Ryuu than with Naraku. Something about Ryuu was just...not right. A familiar pair of leather clad arms snaked suddenly around her waist, pulling her back against an equally familiar chest. She sighed as Sesshomaru's minty scent surrounded her and eased her nerves.
 
"Don't worry, baby, I'll protect you," he said strongly, leaning down to kiss the top of her head.
 
And with that he was gone, tending to gang affairs near the starting line, yet his presence still lingered; his simple words were enough to set Rin's mind at rest.
 
Miroku pulled on a pair of leather driving gloves as he surveyed the course, which was a straight go all the way down Medieval Avenue. He guessed that, on a straight away like this, he could bring the RX7 in at about 180 mph. He set high standards for himself and his car, of course, though he almost always met them. That was the kind of racer Miroku was, determined to win and never lose.
 
The first race, between a Dragon named Kagai and a Reikon named Urufu, began shortly, two high powered American muscle cars revving their engines and pouring exhaust. The Wildcats and Vixens took turns starting the races and Kagura began, Standing between both cars in her tall boots, barely there mini skirt and red lace bra. She lifted a red flag, painted with the black skull, and brought it down with a jerk, sending the two cars flying out before her. It looked as though Urufu were going to win, but Kagai pulled out near the end to win the race. While the Northerners jeered at the losers, the Southerners bit their tongues; they knew better than to disobey their leaders' orders. They wouldn't fight unless seriously provoked.
 
Next up, Bankotsu pulled his Spyder up to the starting line, saddling up beside a fat beast of a boy named Maten Mitsarugi. Maten, a member of the Sharks, was a fat, white skinned lightning demon with a jealous attitude and a wicked temper. He and his brother Hiten had never gotten along, seeing as though Hiten got all the glory and Maten was left to sink in the shadows. Hiten was a proud member of the Cobras and wouldn't trade that companionship for the world, though he sometimes wished he were closer to his brother. Manten couldn't have cared less.
 
"Let's see what you got, Hayashi," Maten jeered with a sadistic smile on his fat face.
 
Bankotsu said nothing, only tightening his grip on the wheel. He would not lose this race. Ayame walked out in the middle of the road, holding the red flag which she had so coldly retrieved from Kagura moments earlier and she raised it, winking in Bankotsu's direction. She brought it down and both cars took off, speeding towards the finish line in a blast of smoke and a roaring engine chorus.
 
At first, Manten tried to maneuver his Lotus coupe around Bankotsu's front, but soon discovered that Bankotsu wouldn't give in so easily. The Cobras leader pushed his car into third gear, rocketing forward and pulling ahead of the Lotus. Manten was surprised at first, but soon recovered, pushing his own car into fourth and struggling to stay even neck and neck with Bankotsu. It wasn't long before Bankotsu shifted into fifth gear, nosing ahead of Manten and coming in first at the finish line. The South gave a cheer, slapping hands with one another and trying their best not to brag in the North's direction; they still remembered their leaders' words.
 
Manten let out a fierce roar upon reaching the starting line once more and he all but tore the door of his car off, pushing himself outside and stomping off towards his leader.
 
Akago was in the middle of a discussion with his second in command, Gatenmaru, a moth demon from the Spiders, when he noticed Manten's angry approach. "Manten," he greeted, nodding his head slightly in the creature's direction.
 
"Goddamnit, I lost!" Manten exclaimed brokenly, kicking out at a building wall, causing the brick to crumble slightly.
 
Akago raised one stately white eyebrow. "That's alright, I expected you to lose."
 
At this, Manten's hideous eyes nearly bugged out of their sockets. "What?! Why?!"
 
Gatenmaru's long black hair shone as he turned his head slowly to face Manten, wicked crimson eyes reflecting the disdain he felt for the thunder demon. "Because Hayashi was a better driver in a better car."
 
It took a moment for Manten to register this insult, but when he finally got it, he turned on his heels and waddled angrily away, refusing to speak to anyone on his way towards the Southern clan. Akago sighed, massaging his snow white temples methodically. "Did you have to set him off, Gatenmaru? Now he'll be absolutely insufferable for the rest of the night."
 
Gatenmaru snorted, turning his pointed face to observe the race course. "It doesn't take much to set that buffoon off, Akago, and you know it."
 
Akago followed Gatenmaru's gaze and witnessed Miroku pulling his RX7 up to the starting line; he wore a determined face with nary the hint of a smile, managing to be even slightly intimidating. "Looks like your up, Gaten," Akago said casually, giving the man a gruff pat on the back as he left to enter his own car.
 
Over on the South side, Bankotsu was laughing and discussing his recent victory with his brothers, Hiten Mitsarugi (A/N: Sorry, I just couldn't help myself), and the Ookami brothers. As Manten approached, he could see Hiten laughing at something Bankotsu said, crimson eyes sparkling and long braid falling gracefully down his back, right over the Cobras symbol. It simply made Manten's blood boil that his wretched brother could feel any sort of happiness after his terrible loss and, without another thought, Manten raged forward and grabbed a stunned Hiten by the throat.
 
"Goddamned little asshole!" he screamed irately, banging Hiten back up against a building.
 
Hiten grunted as his head came in contact with the brick and he stifled a groan, staring down at his brother through bored eyes. "What's wrong, Manten? Lose your race?"
 
This only proved to further enrage Manten, who was becoming almost unstoppable in his wrath. With a distorted scream, he threw Hiten to the side and watched in satisfaction as his brother skidded on the pavement, coming to rest unmoving against an alley wall. Before the thunder demon could even turn around, however, someone punched him violently in the back of his head, sending Manten smashing against the nearby wall. As the ugly creature sunk to the concrete, unconscious for what might be several hours, Bankotsu cracked his knuckles routinely.
 
"What a dick," he said in his light, amused tone.
 
Kouga grinned, giving Bankotsu a hearty pat on the back. "Nice hit, Bank."
 
With that, the group hurried over to where Hiten was groaning on the pavement and surrounded him, trying to assess his injuries. Suikotsu, Bankotsu's rather strange physician brother, knelt down to observe Hiten where he lay. Like his brothers, Suikotsu had strange almost tribal markings on his face, in this case green tiger stripes.
 
"He's got a concussion, I think. And...his jacket's shot to hell," Suikotsu announced, rolling Hiten over to show the others his damaged jacket.
 
True enough, where the Cobra had once been reared, mouth open and ready to strike, there was a gaping wide gash and several impressive scratches. Jakotsu, the rather effeminate Hayashi brother, looked thoughtfully at the jacket with his wide brown eyes. The purple markings on his face accentuated his almost kind, innocent demeanor, as he observed, "We'll have to get him a new one, I guess."
 
Renkotsu, the resident Hayashi brain, rolled his wise black eyes plaintively; his dark purple markings tended to draw the attention away from his completely bald head, which he insisted was his personal choice. "Hiten's got a concussion and we all seem worried about the jacket. Shouldn't we be attending to the injury first?"
 
Ginkotsu nodded his great scarred face flatly. "Yesh," came his muffled answer. Ginkotsu had seen one too many battles, so to speak, and his face was contorted with scars and scrapes, making him look quite formidable.
 
Mukotsu was a short, dough ball sort of character with sickly eyes and wide mouth. The red markings on his face made him look like a sort of bloody dinner roll, yet his powers with poison made everyone respect him. He often helped the Reikons in their assassinations. "Should we take him to the hospital?" he asked rather vapidly.
 
Kyokotsu, a gigantic fellow with angry green eyes, crossed his huge arms across his barrel chest, replying starchly, "Good idea, Mukotsu, we'll just walk in and say, 'Sorry, doctor, this is our friend Hiten. He got in a fight with his brother during an illegitimate gang street race. It's still going on if you want to catch the end of it.'"
 
Ranbou shook his head a little, remarking, "Kyokotsu's right, we can't take him to the hospital. He'll be fine, he just needs to sleep it off."
 
Nodding a little, Bankotsu replied, "You're right, nothing to be alarmed about." Leaning down, he helped Hiten to his feet. "C'mon, bud, let's get you to the car."
 
As the brothers followed Bankotsu towards his car, Ranbou addressed his younger brother. "C'mon, Miroku's race is about to start."
 
With that, the Ookami brothers hurried towards the starting line, hoping they were in time to witness what would surely be a good win for Miroku. Little did they know that this would be a harder race than anyone anticipated.
 
 
Now aren't you glad I didn't make that one whole chapter? I know I am. Reviews are welcome as always.
 
Thanks to all my reviewers.
 
KOLU