InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Live For the One I Love ❯ One-Shot

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Live For The One I Love

Disclaimer: This songfic is based on Celine Dion's "Live For The One I Love." It is used without permission. Please don't sue, though, 'cause I'm poor. All characters belong to Rumiko Takahashi. This is also my first ever fic, so please be kind. The Digimon stuff I've written came after this. I just never "published" this before. Warnings for angst, blood, and extreme OOC-ness.

< > Denotes lyrics.

"Inu-Yasha!"

I heard Kagome cry my name as my brother's claws bit deep into my flesh. I risked a glance her way, hoping somehow, something had changed. Nothing had. She was still being held by an oni, and I was still the only one who could free her. The others were already down from fighting Sesshoumaru. I coughed, and saw my blood splatter on the ground. I was still alive only because he was toying with me and because Kagome needed me. But, by the Gods, I was going to save her, somehow!

<A million stars light

This beautiful night

This is not a night to die

Let me sing and dance

Beneath the sky

I have such love to give

To give!

I want a chance to live>

Pulling the Tetsusaiga, I transformed it and attacked my brother. There was no way in all the Hells that I was going to let him have it. Or, more importantly, Kagome. She was everything to me. I was not going to give her up to that poker-face bastard. He'll use her, damn it! Use her powers to his advantage. Make her find the remaining Shikon shards, and put the jewel back together for him. And knowing my brother, he'll use her in other ways as well. Anything to destroy her spirit. I gasped as another slash of his claws raked over my skin. She cried out my name again, her voice breaking with worry over me. I smile slightly, knowing it to be hidden by my blood-soaked mane of hair. I will NOT die! I love her! I will not let her down!

<Live

For the one I love

Love

As no one has loved

Give

Asking nothing in return>

I attacked Sesshoumaru yet again, using a flurry of blows from our Father's sword. Several actually found their mark, much to his (and my) surprise. But they were nothing but paper cuts compared to my own wounds.

"Well done, Inu-Yasha," my brother congratulated me. "You will have actually drawn blood against me before you die. But I will wade through yours!"

With that, he ducked through all of my defenses, and thrust his claws deep into me. I choked, and fell to my knees. I was dying, and I knew it. But there was one thing left for me to do. Gripping the blood-soaked hilt of Tetsusaiga, I thrust the blade into his vitals. In his surprise, he let me go, and backed away. A thin line of blood appeared at his lips, and he wiped it away, incredulous. He backed away from the battle. He was too wounded to continue. To make sure I was truly dead. Quickly, he got Jaken and left the field. Feh. Always was too worried about his own hide. I collapsed the rest of the way to the ground, and Kagome broke free of the surprised oni and ran to my side.

"No, Inu-Yasha, you can't die. I won't let you," she said through her tears.

"Don't cry, Kagome. I hate it when you cry," I whispered, brushing a tear from her cheek. "At least you're safe now. And free from that bastard."

<Free

Free to find my way

Free to have my say

Free to see the day>

"But what good is freedom if you're not there, Inu-Yasha? Please, don't die. I need to you to be here, with me," she said, her tears standing in her eyes. "I love you."

<Be

Like I used to be

Like a wild bird free

With all of life in me>

My eyes had started to drift shut, but those last three words forced them open again. "What did you say?" I rasped. Surely I was hearing things.

Her tears spilled freshly down her cheeks as she sobbed the words again. My eyes, which had been so heavy, so hard to keep open; opened wide, and looked at her. She loved me?

"Please, Inu-Yasha, fight it. Don't leave me. Don't die and leave me alone! LIVE!"

<Live

For the one I love

Love

As no one has loved

Give

Asking nothing in return>

I felt something pressed into my forehead, and recognized it instantly. It was a Shikon shard. She was trying to use it to save me! "No, Kagome," I tried to say, but the power began to flow through my body, healing all of my wounds. But I could feel the dark power of the jewel beginning to course through me as well. "Kagome, it burns," I whispered. Knowing I would have no other chance to say it; for I would be like my brother in a moment, once the evil power was inside me, I told her what was deep in my heart.

"I love you, Kagome."

Smiling through her tears, she leaned forward to my bloody and broken body, and kissed me. My arms went around her, holding her close as I returned the kiss. The darkness overwhelmed me then, even as I fought it back.

<Thought this world tears us apart

We're still together in my heart

I want the world to hear my cry

And even if I have to die

Love will not die

Love will change the world>

Just as the darkness was to completely consume my soul, a bright light went through my body, cleansing away the evil influence of the jewel. I was alive, and I was myself. Kagome sat back and looked at me hopefully, wiping her eyes. I blinked up at her, and asked, "Kagome, what just happened?"

"I wanted the shard to heal you, but not to change you. I wanted you back," she replied, throwing her arms around me and hugging me tightly. "I wanted you to live."

<Live

For the one I love

Love

As no one has loved

Give

Asking nothing in return>

"I wanted to live, too," I told her, wrapping my own arms around her. "Live and love you."

Kagome pulled back from the hug, and looked at me, surprised. I answered her in the only way I knew how.

<I'll love until love wears me away

I'll die and I know my love will stay

And I know my love will stay>

I kissed her lovingly, deeply, and passionately; holding her so very close to me as I inhaled her wonderful scent, and thanked all the gods for letting me have this chance to love her.

Fin.