InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Lost in the Past ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Inuyasha belongs to Rumiko Takahashi.
 
 
Lost in the Past, Chapter 1
 
 
“I'm bored.” Kazuki flung himself across his parents' bed and stared up at the ceiling. Daddy was in the shower. Kazuki could hear the water running. He glanced speculatively at Tetsusaiga, propped up in the corner.
 
“Don't even think about it,” Inuyasha called from inside the bathroom. Kazuki twitched, startled. How did he know?
 
“Why don't you go outside?” His mother Kagome walked by with an armful of clean clothes which she neatly put away in dresser drawers.
 
“There's nothing to do outside,” Kazuki protested, but he slid off the bed and started towards the door. Uncle Shippo had gone back to Japan for the summer, and the youkai who lived in his woods were no fun. They wouldn't let him do anything without a grown-up around to say it was Ok. Fenn's youkai didn't come around anymore either, now that Youkai School was on vacation.
 
Mayumi gave an imperious cry from her crib, which was followed by a thump as she pulled herself over the edge. Kazuki smelled her before he saw her. She toddled into her mother's room as Kazuki flattened himself against the doorframe, holding his nose. “Eew, mom!” he said.
 
Kagome scooped her up and carried her into the adjoining bathroom so she could remove the overnight diaper. She sat Mayumi on the toilet to see if she would go. She didn't. “Kazuki, run and get me some Big Girl underpants for your sister,” she instructed.
 
Kazuki did as he was told, muttering to himself that it wouldn't make any difference. Mayumi would just wet them, too. Thankfully, his mom didn't have his sharp hearing and missed his commentary.
 
When he got back with the Big Girl pants, Kagome finished wiping down Mayumi with a washcloth Inuyasha had moistened for her in the shower. Kazuki waved his hand in front of his face a few times to dispel the steam. Kagome quickly slipped the underpants on Mayumi and pulled her little nightshirt down to cover her belly again. “Good girl,” she praised her daughter. “Now let's let Daddy finish his shower.”
 
She shooed both children out of the bathroom and closed the door behind her. Mayumi toddled happily to the bed and pulled herself up, bouncing in the middle of the bed. Kazuki turned to leave when his mother caught his arm. “Will you keep an eye on Mayumi for a few minutes while I get the rest of the laundry?”
 
With a sigh, Kazuki flopped back onto the bed, letting his sister's bouncing rock him from side to side. Why did he have to watch her?
 
Mayumi decided she'd had enough of bouncing and flipped off the bed, landing on her padded bottom. She crawled towards the wall and pulled herself upright, knocking over Tetsusaiga in the process. It fell with an awful clatter.
 
“Hey!” Inuyasha's shout came muffled from the bathroom.
 
Kazuki just knew he was going to get in trouble for this. He scrambled off the bed and tried to pull Mayumi off the fallen sheath, but she wouldn't let go. “Come on,” he said, prying her fingers loose. As soon as he let go, she latched right back on, giggling at this new game. He could hear his father shut off the shower. “It wasn't me!” Kazuki yelled in the direction of the bathroom.
 
Desperately, he grabbed Tetsusaiga's hilt and pulled, trying to get the sword away from his sister. Stupid, stupid Mayumi. If Uncle Shippo were still here, he would be in Youkai School right now instead of babysitting his little sister.
 
With a blinding flash, Tetsusaiga came loose from its sheath in Kazuki's hands. He gaped at it as blue light surrounded both him and Mayumi, who was still triumphantly clutching Tetsusaiga's sheath.
 
He heard the bathroom door crash open and glimpsed his father with a towel held around his waist just before the time slip whisked him and his sister 500 years into the past.
 
 
Inuyasha leaped at the shimmering blue spot in the corner of the room and landed flat on his face on the floor. The blue glow was gone, and so were his children. His blood froze. So was Tetsusaiga. He heard a noise in the doorway. Kagome. He looked up at her with stricken eyes.
 
Kagome let her armful of towels fall to the floor as the color drained from her face. “Kazuki? Mayumi?” she whispered.
 
“Gone,” Inuyasha croaked.
 
Kagome stumbled over to him and dropped to her knees. Together, they looked at the spot on the floor where their children had disappeared.
 
“Kazuki's a smart kid,” Inuyasha remarked after a while. “He'll use the sword to bring them right back.” Tetsusaiga always brought them back to the same place from which they'd left. They both stared expectantly at the floor. After fifteen minutes, Kagome's eyes filled with tears. She buried her face in Inuyasha's shoulder and he held her, as she cried for both of them.
 
 
 
Kazuki snatched the sheath away from a startled Mayumi and shoved Tetsusaiga back in. He knew where they were. The empty clearing where the broken well once stood stretched all around them. Kazuki remembered the last time he'd come here with his parents. Mayumi was just a tiny baby then. Uncle Miroku had met them with a wagon and brought them back to his village in the hills. Kazuki sniffed. Now, there was no one near and Kazuki didn't know how to get back home.
 
Mayumi grabbed at the sheathed sword, still thinking they were playing a game. Absently, Kazuki batted her hands away. What did Daddy do to bring them home after their visits? He did something with Tetsusaiga, Kazuki remembered, but not here. He did it in Uncle Miroku and Auntie Sango's village. Uncle Miroku would know.
 
That's where they had to go, then. “Come on, Mayumi,” he said, shifting Tetsusaiga under his left arm and hefting his sister to his right. It was awkward, but he could manage. He raised his head to sniff the air one more time. “That way,” he decided, reasonably sure he would be able to find his uncle's village.
 
In the distance Kazuki could see the other village, the one his parents avoided every time they came. He skirted around it, curious but cautious. If his parents thought it was dangerous, there must be a good reason for it.
 
He was more comfortable traveling through the woods, anyway. He shifted his grip on Mayumi and nearly dropped his father's sword. As it was, he had to stick to the forest floor, traveling much slower than he was used to. Tetsusaiga left a wobbly trail where it scratched the ground behind him.
 
This wasn't working. Mayumi wouldn't stay still and he couldn't get a good grip on the sword. He stopped and set both of them down. “Mayumi, get on and hold tight, Ok?” Kazuki squatted down so his sister could climb onto his back. She squealed in delight. A new game!
 
“You better not pee on me,” Kazuki cautioned as he straightened up and grabbed the sword with both hands.