InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Lost in the Past ❯ Chapter 14 ( Chapter 14 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Inuyasha belongs to Rumiko Takahashi
 
 
Lost in the Past, Chapter 14
 
 
Kagome helped the women prepare for the impending visit. She swept, she cleaned, she peeled vegetables until her hands were raw. They had set up a little house farthest from the gate for her and Mayumi, in case Inuyasha didn't make it back in time to take them all home.
 
Kagome wiped her forehead with her sleeve. Between the bean paste solution and the pungent smell of turnips and onions which she thought might never come out of her hands, she was fairly confident her true scent, the scent that her former friends remembered, would be undetectable.
 
Mayumi sat in the dirt at her feet and was covered with equal amounts of brown dirt and browner bean paste. She didn't seem to mind the smell, though, so Kagome let her be. Who would notice one more grubby little toddler?
 
The other villagers, slayers all, were used to youkai comings and goings. They were also very discreet. Sango had assured her that the villagers, who didn't know much more than that she was a human woman married to a youkai, would not give her presence away to their guests. Mayumi had become everyone's little darling, and they protected her as one of their own.
 
But she was not one of their own. She was hanyou. As she sat happily making dust clouds by slapping her palms against the earth, she suddenly stilled, then raised her head and sniffed. “Sh'po,” she said, and she stared expectantly across the village towards the main gate.
 
Kagome immediately grabbed her and hurried towards their house, leaving the pot of half-sliced vegetables behind. Mayumi squawked in protest.
 
“It's only for a little while,” her mother soothed her. Kagome pulled down some pots from the walls for Mayumi to play with instead. Then she cautiously pushed aside the reed window covering and peeked outside.
 
Mayumi had been right. It was Shippo. Kagome's heart knotted as she caught a glimpse of him surrounded by Sango's kids and some of the other village children. He had grown taller since she'd last seen him in this time. It wasn't much of a consolation that she'd found him again, as an adult, in her time. She had missed all these years in between watching him grow up.
 
Sango slipped in later and brought them something to eat. “Are you Ok?” she asked. Kagome nodded, but her eyes drifted back to the little sliver of window. She could still see Shippo roughhousing with the village children.
 
Sango caught her glance. “He's doing just fine,” she assured her friend. “He has his training now, and he's made friends with other kitsune. We don't see him nearly as much as we would like, but I suppose that's natural, as he grows older.”
 
Kagome sighed. “I miss him.”
 
Sango's eyebrows rose in surprise. “Don't you see him quite often in your time?”
 
“Yes, but it's not the same. I miss little Shippo.”
 
“Sh'po,” Mayumi repeated.
 
Kagome and Sango exchanged guilty glances. They were supposed to be distracting the little hanyou girl, not reminding her. Kagome gave her a little treat, then Sango took her out to go potty. By the time they came back, Mayumi's eyelids were fluttering. Kagome lay down with her and rubbed her back until she fell asleep.
 
“I'm just going to go out and get my vegetables,” Kagome said. She straightened her kerchief and walked right past Shippo, modestly lowering her eyes and bobbing her head slightly as she passed. He was nearly up to her shoulders now!
 
Shippo nodded pleasantly to the young village woman who stooped to pick up a large pot of vegetables then hurried past him. “Need any help with that?” he asked.
 
“No, I can manage,” she replied, deepening her voice a little. Her heart was racing and she pulled her miko aura tight against her. She ran the last few steps to her little hut and leaned against the wall, breathless. When she calmed down, she risked a peek through the window. Shippo stood in the center of the village, staring blankly down the path she had taken. Kagome quickly pulled her head back and giggled.
 
Mayumi slept through the night without Miroku having to seal them in their hut, which was just as well. She woke up with the dawn urgently needing to go potty.
 
“Shh.” Kagome put her finger to her lips and cautiously slid back the door. They tiptoed through the slowly awakening village to the place where Sango had first brought Mayumi. Somehow the little girl had got it into her head that she could only do potty there, and she refused to entertain the notion that she could go just as easily in another spot. Maybe it had to do with her heightened senses. At any rate, Kagome decided it was easier bringing her back to where she was comfortable rather than risk having her wake up the entire village.
 
They passed by Sango's house, which was still dark and quiet. By this time, Mayumi was dancing in agitation. “Potty, potty,” she sang, getting louder with each repetition. Unfortunately, Sango had started her going right behind their home, figuring that a little child's business wouldn't do any lasting harm. So Mayumi only used this spot. Kagome hoped she would consent to go in the toilet at home, or they would have all kinds of problems. She was not going to travel 500 years into the past just so her daughter could go to the bathroom!
 
Mayumi squatted down and tinkled, while Kagome nervously tapped her foot.
 
“Kagome, is that you?” Sango poked her head around the corner. She spied Mayumi and shook her head, a faint smile on her lips. “She does have a mind of her own,” she commented.
 
“What do you expect? She's her father's daughter, after all,” Kagome replied. “Everybody automatically thinks Kazuki is the harder one, but it's really her.” The women both laughed.
 
Mayumi, meanwhile, had finished her business and had no interest in staying in the stinky area while the mommies talked. She scooted back around the corner to see what she could see. There was a lot going on. Interesting smells of all kinds assailed her nose. All around the village center, people were stirring. One woman carried two buckets of water which sloshed as she walked. Another woman had her door wide open, so Mayumi went inside and sat with the other children for breakfast.
 
“And how are you today, Mayumi dumpling?” asked the kind woman, who had adopted Miroku's nickname for the little girl. “Does your mama know where you are?”
 
Mayumi's mouth was full, so she just nodded. Her mama knew, surely. This food was good. She got more on her than in her, and when she was full, she toddled back outside. Sure enough, there was Mama, looking under a basket for something. “Mama?” she asked, as she walked up and tugged on her mother's skirt.
 
Kagome jumped. “Mayumi!” she whispered loudly. “Don't run off like that!”
 
Mayumi blinked up at her mother.
 
Just then the sentry in the watchtower clanged the bell. Everyone who wasn't already awake would be now, including Shippo. Kagome tapped a villager who was hurrying by, and asked what was going on. That was a warning bell.
 
“Youkai,” the villager explained. “The bell means youkai are approaching.” He saw the sudden apprehension in Kagome's face. “Don't worry, miss. That's the bell for known youkai. Our leader has taken down the barrier.”
 
Our leader? Kagome realized the villager meant Miroku. She craned her neck for a better look at the gate hoping to get a glimpse of these `known' youkai. Hopefully, it would be Inuyasha and Kazuki returning. A cloud of dust obscured her view. Someone should warn them that Shippo was here. She took a few steps towards the gate.
 
The dust settled and Kagome gasped. It was Kouga! Oh no, he must not see her! She turned around, ready to scoop up Mayumi and run for the safety of their little hut, but Mayumi was gone—again! Wildly, Kagome glanced all around her, and her heart stopped when she saw Mayumi almost at the gate! Kouga was bound to notice her!
 
Mayumi stared up at the tall youkai, one gritty thumb in her mouth. Kouga stared back down at the little girl and gave her a lop-sided grin. Usually, the village children shied away from his kind, a healthy fear and one he didn't discourage. These people might be slayers, and more knowledgeable than most humans, thanks to Miroku and Sango, but they were still humans. It would take more than a few years of mutual tolerance for their natural instincts to subside. “Well well, who do we have here?” he asked genially, kneeling down on one knee to bring himself to the little girl's eye level.
 
Kagome didn't know what to do. She started forward, but Sango came alongside her and rested a hand on her arm. “Wait,” she cautioned.
 
Mayumi and Kouga were having a conversation! Kagome couldn't believe he didn't realize she was hanyou, even with all her disguises. Kouga's nose was nearly as good as Inuyasha's. Miroku arrived and greeted the wolf youkai, distracting him for a moment from the little girl in front of him. Kagome saw Miroku pick her up and turn her slightly away from Kouga. He motioned for Sango to come closer.
 
“Go,” Sango told Kagome. “I'll bring Mayumi back in a few minutes.” She hurried off to greet their newest guest.
 
Kagome walked swiftly back towards her hut and nearly collided with Shippo. “Sorry,” she mumbled, and kept going.
 
“Do I know you?” Shippo called after her, puzzled. He started to follow her.
 
Suddenly, a village woman stepped in between them with her three children. “Ah, Shippo,” she said to the kitsune youkai. “Don't you remember my sister? Of course, it's been so long since you've visited. . .” she chided.
 
That must be it, thought Shippo. That's why she seems so familiar. He shook his head and continued on to where he had smelled Kouga. On the way, he passed Sango who was holding a little girl. “Sh'po,” the little girl greeted him as they walked past. He frowned. He didn't remember this little girl, either, although she certainly seemed to know him. He really ought to stop by more often. He was starting to forget the people here!
 
Sango deposited Mayumi with her mother. “No harm done,” she said. “Kouga thinks she's one of the village children. He seemed quite taken with her.” Sango's eyes twinkled. “In fact, he told her she could marry his son Daichi when she grew up.”
 
Kagome felt shivers up and down her arms. She hoped Kouga's words were just words and not something more. This time travel was difficult enough as it was. She sincerely hoped Mayumi didn't turn out to be her own ancestor!