InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Lost in the Past ❯ Chapter 20 ( Chapter 20 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Inuyasha belongs to Rumiko Takahashi
 
 
Lost in the Past, Chapter 20
 
 
Shippo felt weird, having no shape. It wasn't the same as when he took energy form, an ability he had acquired some time during his second century of life. He was still himself, but just not there. He could see, but no one could see him. He had substance, but he took up virtually no space. Right now he was squeezed between Sesshomaru and the wall of the aircraft. Fenn was on Sesshomaru's other side, in the empty chair in first class next to the taiyoukai. Sesshomaru had given Shippo the option of `sitting' in the same seat as Fenn, or on the other side. Shippo had immediately picked the other side. From that moment on, Sesshomaru had ignored the both of them, which was probably a good thing, as otherwise it would have appeared as if he were talking to himself.
 
Fenn chuckled inside Shippo's head. The new world youkai could communicate mind to mind, although Shippo guessed that he hadn't dared to do it with Sesshomaru. Fenn chuckled again, and Shippo wished he could scratch his head to get rid of the itch in his brain.
 
`Do you really think I am afraid of Sesshomaru?' asked Fenn mind to mind.
 
Shippo scowled, certain that Fenn would get the sentiment even if he couldn't see him. Fenn's annoying chuckle affirmed it. He hoped this trip would be over with soon. Fenn had cast the glamour over them both, and seemed to be having no problem holding it for the duration of the flight to Japan. Shippo had to admit it was like nothing he'd ever experienced before. His part would come when they took the return flight, and they needed to wear the images of Inuyasha and Kagome. He grinned inwardly as he thought of that moment, when it would be his illusory magic in control, not Fenn's. Let Fenn play the part of Kagome. He'd be Inuyasha.
 
It was a surprise that Sesshomaru had decided to go back with them. Shippo still wasn't sure why, unless it was to prevent him and Fenn from killing each other. He glanced at Sesshomaru, who appeared to be sleeping. His meal was on the table next to him, in Fenn's seat, untouched. Of course, Sesshomaru still mainly disdained human food and only ate it occasionally to keep up appearances. Fenn wasn't too crazy about human food, either, taking his nourishment from other sources. Shippo wondered if he could eat, in this form. He felt a little hungry. As he watched Sesshomaru's tray, he saw first one, then a second shrimp disappear from the plate. Fenn! He willed his `body' to lean over Sesshomaru and reach for the plate, too. Sesshomaru opened one eye and glared at the space where he would have been were he visible. Shippo subsided back into his own spot, and hoped his growling stomach would unnerve the flight attendant.
 
 
 
Kagome snuggled against Inuyasha. Finally, things were back to normal. They had stayed up until late afternoon talking with Sesshomaru and Fenn after Shippo took his family home. Kagome had had to drag Inuyasha back to the deck, warning him of dire consequences if he made a scene right then and there. For once, he listened. Now all she had to do was distract him for the next couple of days until he got used to the idea of Yusuke and Valynne being together.
 
Sesshomaru was grilling Fenn about his ability to manipulate time when they returned to the deck. The sun was shining in their eyes by this time, so Kagome suggested they move the conversation into the circular sun-room off the main living room. That room didn't get exposure until the late afternoon, so it was cool and shadowy in the morning.
 
“I told you, I've never gone back that far,” Fenn said. “I never had any need to.”
 
“But it is possible?”
 
Fenn smiled. “Obviously, if Inuyasha and Kagome do it so often. Now, it looks like their kids can travel through time, too.”
 
Sesshomaru tightened his lips. That wasn't what he had meant. He wouldn't ask the question he really wanted to know. “But they use a portal,” he said. “They do not travel by their own power.”
 
“No, they don't,” agreed Fenn. He knew very well what Sesshomaru wanted to ask. “You haven't, therefore you didn't.”
 
Sesshomaru raised his eyebrows. Inuyasha glanced from one to the other, wondering what the hell was going on. Fenn explained. “You worry about the consequences of moving about in time. Did it ever occur to you that Inuyasha and Kagome were meant to do this? That they and their family were meant to traverse the dimensions between that time and this for a reason?”
 
“What reason?”
 
Fenn shrugged. “I have no idea. That's something for you to figure out. But if I were to guess, I would say it has something to do with the continued existence of youkai today. And maybe with your own attitude,” he concluded, looking directly at Sesshomaru. “Even though you yourself have not traveled through time.”
 
Sesshomaru frowned, uncomfortable with having his secret question voiced out loud. Why Inuyasha? Why not him? What was the difference? “What are you saying?”
 
“If it did happen, then it will. If it didn't happen, then it won't.” Fenn answered cryptically.
 
“What the hell are you talking about?” Inuyasha asked.
 
Kagome took his hand. “I think he means we needn't worry so much about messing things up on the other side,” she said.
 
“Exactly,” agreed Fenn.
 
“What? Exactly, what? I still don't get it,” muttered Inuyasha.
 
Sesshomaru nodded his head slowly. “So if it's meant to happen, it will?” he guessed.
 
“Exactly,” Fenn said again. “If you do, then you will.”
 
Kagome suddenly giggled. “So, that means our Mayumi really might end up marrying Kouga's Daichi someday.”
 
“What?” asked Sesshomaru, startled.
 
“Like hell!” spat Inuyasha.
 
That was the end of it. Kagome's eyes were watering, and Inuyasha was getting grouchier by the second. Neither Sesshomaru nor Fenn stayed much longer, although both threatened to come back the next day to finalize plans for the trip to Japan. Kagome sighed, as she and Inuyasha finally went to sleep in their own bed, about three in the afternoon, their time.
 
“Wake up, Inuyasha,” said Kagome, as she shook his shoulders. For a miracle, the children were still sleeping. Hopefully, they would sleep through the night and be back on schedule tomorrow morning. She glanced at the bedside clock. It was a little after midnight, but she was wide awake. It was only fair that Inuyasha be awake, too.
 
He rolled over and regarded her, his eyes glowing softly in the moonlight. “What?”
 
“We're home,” she said, and he understood immediately what she meant. They were all where they were supposed to be, in their own house, in their own beds. Even Valynne was sleeping in the room they'd set aside for her use. She had apparently stayed there the whole time they were gone, instead of living out in the forest with the other wild youkai. Inuyasha wondered briefly if he'd done her any favors by bringing her more fully into his life. Would she have been happier if she weren't as human? Maybe not. Things happen, sometimes in spite of what you wanted. His own life was plenty proof of that. In the end, life works out the way it should. He believed that.
 
“Yeah, we're home,” he replied with a small smile. He could finally relax. “Kagome? Hot tub?”
 
“That sounds nice,” she agreed, automatically setting her barriers around the house and then around the kids' rooms, so they wouldn't get any unnecessary interruptions. She went to find her bathing suit, but Inuyasha's hand on her arm stopped her.
 
“You won't be needing that,” he said softly.
 
Kagome's heart sped up. Oh yeah, it was good to be home.
 
 
 
 
Kazuki twirled his sword above his head like a baton. It was still in its sheath. Everybody was busy or gone, and he had nothing to do again. He felt the slight tingle of his mother's barrier outside his bedroom door, and his mouth turned down at the corners. Like that would stop him. He was more afraid of what Mom or Dad would say to him if he broke through it, however. It was still dark. If mama didn't take down her barrier by the time it was light, he'd just go out the window.
 
 
 
Fenn and Shippo re-materialized inside Sesshomaru's sedan. “You realize we have no luggage,” Fenn pointed out.
 
“That's all right, you can wear Kagome's clothes,” quipped Shippo, grinning. They were on their way to the Higurashi shrine, where they would have to explain what they were planning to Kagome's mother. In Sesshomaru's suitcase was a new white bathrobe for Kagome's mother, a gift to replace the one they had left in the Sengoku Jidai.
 
Fenn just laughed.
 
Kagome's mother hugged each of them, even Sesshomaru, and gave them the suitcases and passports to bring back to the States. She really was an exceptional woman. Fenn made a point of checking out the well before they left. It was still inert. He stared at it for a few minutes, thinking, while Sesshomaru and Shippo watched.
 
“So it really was Tetsusaiga's presence on the other side that triggered the well,” Sesshomaru commented, thinking of Rin and coincidences that really weren't coincidences.
 
“It would appear so,” said Fenn. He had his own ideas, which he was not ready to share yet.
 
Shippo took great pleasure in transforming himself into Inuyasha and transforming Fenn into Kagome, but Fenn turned the tables on him almost immediately, by linking `Kagome's' arm through `Inuyasha's,' and leaning heavily upon him all through the airport and even on the plane.
 
“Let go!” Shippo hissed, his own voice coming through in his agitation.
 
“What's the matter, Inuyasha?” cooed `Kagome,' her voice a perfect match. “We're husband and wife. Can't I be affectionate towards my husband?”
 
Shippo turned red, and tugged `Inuyasha's' arm out of `Kagome's.' “Cut it out!” he whispered, folding his arms across his chest in a very Inuyasha-like pose. “I'm going to sleep.” He closed his eyes and hoped he could `sleep' all the way to Connecticut.
 
 
 
“I wish I hadn't left my favorite blouse at Sango's,” Kagome complained, as she was sifting through her clothes looking for something cool to wear.
 
Kazuki heard her from the other room. He bounced up and rushed into her room. “I'll get it!” he shouted, and then he disappeared.
 
“Kazuki!”