InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Memento Mori ❯ Epilogue: Holiday Spice ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Author’s Note: Though I consider the last entry into this little series ‘the end’, when the time came to choose a gift for the LJ community inuyashaxkagome’s 2008 Advent Calendar, I couldn’t resist the idea of revisiting this universe. I believe the original oneshot and subsequent sequel stand alone very well (and, along with the interlude, hold together as a series rather nicely, to boot), so this is purely bonus material.

Happy holidays, all!

Want to see the ultimate author’s notes for this piece? Visit me at LJ! Explanations, clarifications, spoilers available!

Disclaimer: The Inuyasha concept, story, and characters are copyright Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media.

~*~

It had been three long, tiring, stressful months since they’d last seen each other.

It had hardly seemed fair, parting so soon, but alas – such was their terrible timing. Her program started a week earlier than his, so the last time she had actually laid eyes upon him was the day she moved into the student residence hall. He’d gone along, ostensibly to tease her for needing so much stuff when her family’s shrine was only half the city away – but his presence had also eased her trepidation at being on her own for the first time.

They’d sat together by her bedside that night, holding hands, chatting quietly. Neither felt the need to rush into an immediate, intense relationship. “Having you in my life is enough for me,” he murmured. “We have all the time in the world to explore this, get to know each other better.”

“I just hate that we can’t be together,” she replied.

“I’ll always be with you, even when we’re apart,” he assured her, drawing her close. His mouth found hers in the darkness. “We’ll make it work.”

…and that’s when her roommate decided to grace them with her all-too-perky presence, staving off any further intimacy.

It hadn’t been easy. Their schedules were completely different, making even weekend visits impossible. Even though they were only separated by a thirty-minute train ride, they couldn’t find a stretch of time to make the journey worthwhile. Instead, they had to rely on technology to fill the gap – not a day went by without a call, text, IM, or email, if not some combination of all four. He always seemed to know when she needed to hear his voice; on many a night her stress was soothed by a surprise phone call.

As the term wore on, their schedules grew busier, their lives more engaging. Still, they managed to snatch small bits of time together for a chat, supporting each other through exams and papers. As winter break drew near, they began to make their plans to reunite. It was eventually decided that, because her classes ended a week earlier than his, she would spend the weekend before Christmas with him before heading home to her family.

And so, here she was, finally completing the journey back to him. She was nervous about staying with him, but her excitement and anticipation far outweighed anything else. Being in constant communication just wasn’t the same as actually being with him – and somehow, missing him now was worse than before. Knowing she had him, but being unable to see him, was the very definition of frustration.

The train screeched to a halt as it barreled into the station, bringing Kagome back to the present. She couldn’t hide her smile as she clutched the strap of her bag; by the time she stepped down onto the platform, she was sure she looked like a gigantic idiot. But she didn’t care – she was one step closer to him.

Her eyes scanned the crowd as she descended down into the main terminal. Her stomach clenched slightly as she found him, bundled up against the cold like everyone else, yet so easy to spot, thanks to that mane of silver hair. He waved, she ran, and then –

– she was in his arms again.

“Hey, baby,” he murmured, his voice pouring over her like warm honey, sweeping away any anxiety she may have felt. She smiled blissfully, squeezing her arms around his waist, hoping he felt it through their necessary layers of winter clothing.

He let go of her all too soon for her taste, throwing her bag over his shoulder, taking her hand as they walked away from the train station. They travelled through the city streets in companionable silence. Inuyasha maneuvered expertly through the crowds, and Kagome found her heart brimming over with surprise and pride. I can’t believe I’m actually here with him, she thought, glancing at the back of his head as he led the way to his apartment. I can’t believe he’s actually…my boyfriend now. After everything they had gone through to find one another, it still sometimes struck her, and she felt lucky and giddy all over again.

“Here we are,” he announced, stopping in front of a large yet nondescript building. He momentarily let go of her hand as he fumbled with his keys. “Home sweet home…at least, for the next three days.”

She laughed, adrenaline tingling at the ends of her nerves at the implication of his words. The door clicked open and they stepped inside, shrugging out of their coats and scarves. As she reached up to hang her gear on the hooks in the hallway, she felt his arms move around her waist. “Mm,” he sighed, his breath warm against her ear. “I missed you.”

“I missed you, too,” she murmured, turning to face him, wrapping her arms around his neck. He seemed inordinately pleased as he leaned down, capturing her lips in a sweet kiss. She responded hungrily, pulling him closer, opening her mouth in invitation. She felt him shudder slightly, his grip tightening around her, and her heart leapt with anticipation.

Soon enough, her back was against the wall, pinned beneath his body. Their kisses deepened, edged with a newfound urgency and pent-up passion. His hands roamed lightly over her body, finally seeming to settle under the backs of her thighs. Her breath came hot and fast as she felt him press against her insistently, and she knew that this had been so worth the wait.

“Ahem.” A slightly embarrassed cough broke through the haze of their desire. Kagome swallowed a regretful whimper as Inuyasha eased back, glaring over his shoulder.

“You won’t even let her get in the door before jumping her, eh?” Miroku laughed. He stood at the other end of the hall, arms crossed over his chest, looking far more amused than he had the right to be.

“Oh, shut up,” Inuyasha growled. “Like you weren’t doing the same a few hours ago, when Sango arrived.”

Miroku continued to grin shamelessly. “I believe I managed to close the door, at least,” he quipped.

Kagome flushed bright red, a wave of complete mortification rushing over her as she contemplated the idea of strangers inadvertently witnessing their heated reunion. Inuyasha grumbled under his breath, moving to close the door. “Weren’t you going to leave?”

“Indeed, we were,” Miroku responded smoothly. “If you’ll give us a turn at the door, that is.”

“Sorry!” A new voice entered the fray as an attractive girl rushed towards Miroku. She grasped his arm and gave him a sheepish smile. “I didn’t mean to keep you waiting.”

“No problem, my dearest,” he murmured. “You’re always worth the wait.”

Kagome felt another flush of embarrassment rise up the back of her neck and Miroku and Sango passed them in the hall. It was the first time she’d seen the other girl since their high school graduation, and she still felt awful for thinking such terrible, misbegotten things about her.

Miroku and Inuyasha continued to snip at each other good-naturedly, and Sango rolled her eyes. “I swear, I think all guys are stuck at twelve years old on the inside,” she whispered knowingly to Kagome. “It’s a wonder we put up with them at all sometimes, isn’t it?” She gripped the other girl’s hand with surprising force. “It’s nice to finally meet you, Kagome. You’re all Inuyasha ever talks about.”

“Really?” The idea of him talking about her at all to his friends was surprising and pleasing. She returned the handshake.

“Really. Oh, the stories I could tell you.” With another friendly smile, she was off, Miroku leading her out the door with a teasing laugh. Kagome made a mental note to ask Inuyasha for her email later. She seemed very nice; Kagome had lost touch with her trio of high school friends shortly after graduation, and was wistful for female companionship again.

“Sorry about that,” Inuyasha sighed. “Miroku’s such a hentai.”

“You didn’t kick him out, did you?” Kagome asked as he turned away, picking up her bag. She didn’t want him homeless for the weekend just because she was around.

“He’ll live,” he replied, sauntering off down the hall. He gave her an enigmatic smile as she began to follow. “Besides, maybe I want you all to myself for awhile.”

~*~

Inuyasha scowled, attempting to concentrate on the movie that was playing on his laptop.

He could’ve just killed Miroku, that damn hentai bastard. He would open his mouth at such an inopportune moment, if it meant he could get a dig in. The dude was absolutely shameless, which made for interesting times, living with him on a daily basis.

He couldn’t help the way he reacted. How long had he wanted this girl? How long had they been separated? And it wasn’t like they had been together long before school had separated them once again. Being able to actually see her, touch her, hold her – it was still a bit overwhelming. He’d waited so long for this moment, and now that it was here, he wanted to enjoy every possible minute.

Besides, she was the one who’d started it, out in the hall. He was only following her lead…

“Isn’t this romantic?” Kagome sighed, bringing him out of his thoughts. She was sitting in his lap, on arm draped over his shoulders, her fingers twirling lazily through his hair. Her eyes were glued to the screen, her expression blissful as she followed the action.

“Uh, yeah,” he mumbled. Honestly, he still found it hard to focus on anything beyond her and her physical presence. Hours had come and gone already, most of it a complete blur. He was pleased to see that this urge he had – to stay in constant physical contact with her – appeared mutual. She’d followed him around the apartment, holding his hand or brushing against his shoulder. While he made dinner, she stood next to him at the stove, arms linked at his waist, head resting against his shoulder. Even when they sat down to eat, their fingers were linked lightly across the table. Their conversation ebbed and flowed; more often than not they sat in companionable silence, as if they both recognized this need to let their ‘physical contact’ time catch up with their ‘communication’ time.

But now, as they sat in his mostly darkened room, his mind was returning to earlier, more pleasurable ways of spending time with her.

This precarious position certainly didn’t help matters. Considering the way she was perched on his lap, he had a perfect view of the interior of her blouse. Her hair was swept over her shoulder, giving him direct access to her neck. Plus there was the fact she would adjust her seat every so often, squirming across his thighs in the most delicious manner.

He struggled to keep some measure of control over himself.

She sighed again, leaning back against him. The hand at his shoulder drifted up, absently touching the outer shell of his ear. He stiffened a bit as her fingers continued their soft caress before shifting back into his hair. He cut his eyes toward her, wondering if she knew how much she was turning him on, but she seemed blissfully oblivious.

The look of pure, unadulterated peace that radiated from her made his heart pump a little faster. It was times like these that he still found it unbelievable that she was his, that she returned his feelings to any degree. Now that they were free of the rather oppressive high school social strata, she was blooming into an even more amazing person.

He dropped a kiss at her temple as the film soundtrack swelled. It was really the reason he’d picked this movie; the music was absolutely genius. His class in film score had been the most interesting of the entire term, and had given him more than a few compositional ideas of his own.

She shifted again, sitting up straighter, leaning forward slightly as the movie grabbed her attention. He took the opportunity granted, sliding his hand underneath her shirt, rubbing smooth circles over the small of her back. She shivered as his hand made contact. He leaned forward as well, unable to resist the smooth expanse of her neck.

“Oh!” Her fingers dug into his shoulder as he pressed a kiss to the base of her neck, nipping lightly with his teeth. She exhaled sharply as his tongue moved out to explore, leaving a lazy trail along the column of her throat. He concentrated his attention on the sensitive skin right under her earlobe, nuzzling gently, taking the opportunity to breathe in the heavenly scent of her hair.

Slowly, her attention shifted away from the glowing laptop screen, allowing him more access to her beautiful face. He complied promptly, pressing light kisses along her cheek until coming to rest at her mouth. He felt her grow more attune to his movements, her body twisting to face him, pressing eagerly against him, but he was determined to take his time.

He had three months to make up for, after all.

He continued the slow, circular pattern on her back, willing her to relax. He resisted the demands of her mouth, continuing to brush his lips against hers, alternatively nipping and sucking. Her nails raked against his scalp, sending trills of pleasure racing down his back. He leaned back in the chair as her hands found his ears again, and she realized she had momentarily gained control of the situation, growling with unabashed delight as he allowed her tongue into his mouth.

He felt things escalating out of his control, but unable – or maybe unwilling – to stop. Instead, he twisted in the chair, pushing it backwards until it bumped against the side of his bed. She giggled softly against his mouth as they rolled the short distance across the room, and he was suddenly grateful for his foresight in obtaining a desk chair with wheels.

He swept her up in his arms and deposited her on the bed, reaching over to turn off the light on the bedside table. She reached up as his hand found the switch, and he looked down at her questioningly.

“Don’t,” she said.

The request was surprising, to say the least. Most girls hated anything less than total darkness, being so self-conscious and all.

She seemed to read his thoughts. “I want to see you. The first time…”

And he remembered: their first time had been pretty damn glorious, in the total darkness of the city public library, up in the reference stacks.

“All right,” he said, taking a moment to gaze at her. She was absolutely beautiful, her excitement and eagerness bare on her face. The bedside light cast a soft golden glow across her hair, splayed across his pillow.

How did I get so damn lucky? he wondered.

She reached up, pulling him down on top of her, drawing him into another fabulous kiss. He relaxed, settling his weight over her, enjoying the feel of her underneath him. His hands roamed freely as he pressed kisses along the line of her jaw. She clutched at his shirt, bunching it up in her fists as his head moved lower, down her neck, across her shoulders.

In one swift move, he divested himself of the interfering fabric. Her eyes lit up as she took in the full sight of his chest for the first time, heaving under the heavy strain of his breathing. She reached up tentatively, running her fingers along the lines that defined it, exploring the smooth packs of muscle with something akin to awe. She sucked her bottom lip between her teeth as she explored, and he felt a surge of pride at her obvious approval.

He took the chance to work open the buttons of her blouse, pushing it open, getting his own eyeful. The Shikon jewel keepsake glittered at her throat, but it barely registered – his heart skidded at the sight of her underwear. “Crimson and lace?” he breathed, sliding a finger under the strap of her bra. Oh, God. Her pale skin seemed to glow in contrast.

Her back arched as the straps fell from her shoulders, the cups loosening around her breasts. “I always wear it when I’m thinking of you,” she replied, her voice breathy and thin. He had a sudden image then, of her in nothing but this, pleasuring herself as she thought of him, and he growled with possessive delight.

All too soon, the bra was left to the side. He kissed her softly as he touched her breasts. He felt a flush rising up over her skin as he explored, and he had a sudden urge to show her she had nothing to be embarrassed over. He pressed fleeting kisses over her chest as he let his fingers glide over the soft skin, eventually exchanging his hands for his mouth. His palms rested against her ribcage, holding her gently in place as she began to relax and respond to his touch.

As his mouth continued its travels, he glanced up, eyeing her face from the narrow valley between her breasts. To see such ecstasy in her expression, all while knowing full well that he was the one responsible, only served to heighten his desire.

His hands began to work the closure of her pants as he trailed kisses over the flat expanse of her belly. A well-timed arch of her back allowed him to push the pants over her hips, and she yelped in surprise as the cool air hit her skin. She tugged at his hair, and he moved back over her with a greedy grin to press a happy kiss to her lips. “A matching set?” he inquired, rocking his hips against hers even as his hands trailed over her panties.

Her eyes hooded as she felt his erection jutting against her. “Of course,” she replied, brushing her hands over his sides, tugging at the ends of his hair where it fell across his back. “Only the best for you.”

He shuddered, closing his eyes and letting his forehead fall against hers. His heart galloped in his chest as the warmth of her words poured over him. He’d never been thought so worthy of affection in his life, and now…this beautiful, wonderful girl was bestowing it upon him in spades? It was almost too much.

His hands grasped the backs of her thighs, bringing her up against him again, and she whimpered with delight. One hand slipped down to stroke her most intimately, sending a jolt of shock straight through him when he felt just how excited she was. He ran the backs of his nails over the dark satin, earning soft mewls of pleasure and huffs of hot breath against his ear.

He reached out for the bedside table as their hips rocked together again, blindly pulling out the drawer. She didn’t seem to notice, busy tugging at his belt, seeming to take pleasure in the challenge of helping him out of the rest of his clothes. He gasped sharply as he felt his trousers loosen, and her hands close around him.

“Uhhh,” he mumbled, unable to really move and yet caught in a most awkward position. She glanced up at him, her eyes travelling the length of his arm as he retracted it from the drawer, protection in hand. She gave him an experimental stroke, and he had to close his eyes for a moment. So…good, his brain declared.

“Let me,” she whispered, so softly he almost didn’t hear it. He opened his eyes as the muscles across his abdomen constricted. She roiled her hips against his hand, a tiny, knowing smile creasing her mouth.

He sat back wordlessly, watching her silently as she ripped open the plastic. His eyes drifted towards the wall as he felt her hands on him again, and it was all he could do to control himself as she slipped the condom on.

“Mmm,” she mused as she worked it into place. The expressions fluttering across his face gave her immense satisfaction. His head dipped down, the curtain of his hair falling over them, and in that moment she felt stupidly powerful and giddy.

He swept her underwear over her legs, bringing the focus back to her. Cautiously, he stroked her again, enjoying the feel of this most secret skin, before dipping a finger into her. His breath came hard and fast as he realized just how ready she was. Her hips rose to meet an experimental stroke of his finger, and what little amount of control remained snapped.

It was her turn to gasp with surprise as he grabbed the backs of her knees, pulling her legs apart, plunging in. He wanted it to be soft, languid, pleasurable…but dammit, he couldn’t help himself. He held himself steady for a moment, reveling in the exquisite feel of her, so tight, so warm, so inviting.

He felt her fingers on his neck, sweeping through his hair as she brought his face down for a kiss. “Sorry,” he mumbled.

Her hips rocked against his in response. “I’m not,” she replied. Her hands drifted down, moving over his chest, his stomach.

Her cue was all he needed; he held her close as they moved against one another, one hand at her thigh, the other caressing the underside of her breast. Waves of heat and desire emanated from her, her expression dissolving into absolute bliss as she reached – and passed – her climax. Her spasms of pleasure brought him over the edge, and he realized –

– he had never loved or trusted her more than he did in this moment.

She didn’t last long in the aftermath, her eyelids drooping heavily as she stroked his hair, a silly smile on her lips. Soon enough, she was asleep in his arms, her chest rising and falling softly, rhythmically. He watched her for a long while, her body curled against his, flush with sleep and sex. He toyed with the jewel at her throat, simply amazed that she deigned to wear such a tacky ornament, yet strangely happy that she chose to do so anyway. It was a testament to their history, a silent nod to when they first met.

Finally, he settled down beside her, closing his eyes and sighing softly. She was the best Christmas gift he could ever imagine receiving.

~*~

Kagome drifted into consciousness the next morning as the soft rays of sunlight streamed in the window of Inuyasha’s room. Her eyelashes fluttered open and for a moment she was disoriented, waking up in a strange bed, in a strange place. As her clothes, strewn across the floor, came into focus, she smiled. Oh, yes. Memories of the night before ebbed at the back of her mind, and she felt her body blossoming in response.

She turned in the bed, reaching out for her boyfriend, only to find his place empty. Her heart seized as her hand fell over the still-warm sheets, and she sat up boldly, blindly, glancing around the room with a tiny spark of fear.

“Inuyasha?” she breathed, spotting him across the way, sitting in the window seat. She pulled the sheets up around herself, wondering what was going on…if she had done something wrong?

He turned to face her, his expression most serene. “Good morning,” he said. His heart leapt a little at the sight of her, so exquisite even in the morning, her hair tousled slightly as it fell over her shoulders.

“Is something wrong?” she asked, an edge of worry in her tone.

He shook his head. “I was just thinking about something,” he replied, reaching down, picking up a slim acoustic guitar, one of the many musical instruments that dotted his rather messy room.

Her irrational fear melted a bit as curiosity took over. “About what?” she prodded.

He laid the guitar across his khaki-covered lap. “My last assignment for composition this term was an original piece, and I was never really satisfied with the ending,” he said, strumming a few tentative chords. “But I think I know why now.”

Kagome was completely confused. “Why?”

His golden eyes glowed in the rising sun as he looked at her. “It’s a song I’d written for you,” he said softly. “About you.”

Her breath caught in her chest as he began to play, a sweet, softly melancholic instrumental. The song ebbed and flowed before swelling swiftly at the end, bringing to her mind a visceral memory – his hands moving over her body, exploring, tempting, loving…

Moisture rimmed her eyes as she watched him play. His fingers moved over the frets with practiced ease, his hair falling over his face as he concentrated. As it all came to an end, his head fell back, revealing a tranquil expression, his eyes closed, his lips soft and pliant.

The final chord reverberated through the room. “I needed to feel you again, to get it right,” he said, breaking the heady silence. “I hope you like it, baby.”

She slipped out of the bed as the tears slipped down her cheeks. He only managed to get the guitar back on its stand before she fell into his arms, showering him with kisses. “It’s perfect,” she whispered, wrapping her arms around him.

He chuckled, the sound vibrating through her as she held him. “Merry Christmas, Kagome,” he murmured, tucking her hair behind her ears.

“Merry Christmas, Inuyasha,” she replied, repeating the gesture before lowering her mouth to his.