InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Metamorphosis ❯ Old Habits ( Chapter 16 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: I don’t own Inuyasha or any of the publicly known characters, plot, etc.  I’m just renting them from Rumiko Takahashi, Viz, etc.   I do own the plot of this story and any original characters I’ve created.  I will make no money from this fic; I write for my own enjoyment and the enjoyment of my readers.


Fanfiction of the Week: “Shiver,” by gentle_whispers
One of my favorite lemons of all time (and I've read a lot of them!) Very Hot.


Old Habits


“Sora, could you get me some water?” Takehiko gasped out. His sister nodded; she was willing to do almost anything for him now that he was finally awake. He had been unconscious for almost two full days since their most recent battle with the Inu-gang. She had treated his wounds, but it had been touch and go as to whether he would survive Kagome's attempt to purify him from the inside out. She was convinced he would have succumbed to the purifying poison in his body had it not been for the jewel shard in his forehead. She had also let him borrow her own as well as the one from the dagger. Now he was recovering, albeit slowly. He still bore a gaping hole in his chest, the lingering effects of Kagome's powers hindering his natural demonic healing ability. Sora growled angrily; this was just another thing the miko bitch would have to pay for.

“How did we get out of that mess, anyway?” her brother asked, apparently feeling up for conversation. “The last thing I remember was collapsing in a pool of my own blood.”

Sora shuddered at the mental image her brother's words conjured up. As long as she lived, she would never forget the sight.

“You remember that gourd, the one you told me not to take? I used it to make an escape from that crazed youkai…miko…whatever the fuck she is!”

Takehiko chuckled, clutching at his chest when the movement caused him pain. “I guess it's a good thing you didn't listen to me then.”

Sora's eyes watered, the anxiety and unbridled emotion of the past forty-eight hours finally catching up to her. As her brother lay there, barely breathing, she had staved off madness by telling herself over and over again that he would recover. It had become a rallying cry, the only thing keeping her soul from shattering into a million pieces. But now, now that it appeared she had been right, the reality of the situation set in. Just how close she had come to losing him…to finding herself alone again…

With a gut-wrenching sob, she threw herself against her brother's chest, her tears soaking the bandages there. A muffled “oomph!” was all that escaped him, as he wrapped his arms around her. The façade of strength they exhibited to the outside world didn't matter when it was just the two—or three—of them. All they had was each other; trust and love did not stray outside their small family to anyone else. When they were children, they had banded together against the world that shunned them and carved out a niche for themselves. Losing one of their trio had nearly broken them, and perhaps it would have if there was no hope of getting Minoru back. To lose two siblings, to be the only one left…that was something they dreaded above all else, even death. So Takehiko did not judge his sister, or lament her female sensitivity. He himself had nearly cried the last time Sora was wounded. Eventually her sobs turned to hiccups, and she pulled away, drying her eyes with the back of her hand. Takehiko laughed at the image, earning himself a glare.

“You look just like you did when you were a brat,” he observed, grinning in amusement.

“Shut up, Takebaka!” she replied, but there was no real bite to her words. Returning her glare now, Takehiko nevertheless chose to let her favorite nickname for him slide. They had more pressing matters to discuss.

“Sora, what are we going to do about this? Twice now we've escaped by a hair's width, and I believe we've just about used up our good luck.”

“What the hell are you talking about? We're going to kill them, that's what! The only reason they're still alive is because that miko bitch keeps surprising us, wielding miko powers when she shouldn't be able to. Now that we know what we're up against, we'll definitely be able to beat her!”

“I still believe we need a better plan. As much as you want to kill Kagome—”

“Killing doesn't begin to describe what I want to do to her.”

“Regardless, we need to focus on Inuyasha. He is the strongest of their group, and that sword of his would be truly formidable if it wasn't wielded by someone with the fighting skill of a wet kimono.”

“But if he goes down, won't Kagome transform again?”

Takehiko sighed. “Probably, but that could work to our advantage. She is more powerful and aggressive in that form, but also reckless. As you said, now that we know what she is capable of, we can defeat her.”

“I wish we didn't have to use that fuckin' dagger,” Sora pouted. “It would be so much more enjoyable to rip out her entrails by hand, don't you think?”

“Be that as it may, the dagger is the only way to bring Minoru back to us. You were very smart to pick it up off the battlefield.”

“Tch. Just lucky; I nearly fell on the stupid thing when that bitch shoved me to the ground.”

Takehiko's reply was forestalled by the ominous scent that reached his nose. The stench was so pungent that even Sora's weaker sense of smell could pick it up. Narrowing her eyes in recognition, she stood and turned to face the intruder. Naraku descended from the sky moments later, his protective barrier shimmering in the sunlight. He wore the same benevolent expression he had at their first meeting, but this time there was something darker, more sinister in his eyes.

“You two are quite difficult to find,” he observed casually.

“Forgive us for not wishing to share your company,” Sora answered tersely. “Now, what do you want?”

“I want my Shikon jewel shards returned to me.”

“Not a chance.”

Naraku smirked, several bony tentacles writhing their way outside his barrier. “I'm more than happy to take them by force, if necessary.”

“Try it!” Sora yelled, lowing herself into a combat stance, wings flared behind her.

“Now, now,” Takehiko's annoyingly placating voice called out. “Let us try to be civil about this.”

Sora scoffed. Sure, it's easy to say that when you're physically incapable of fighting.

“There is nothing to discuss. You two failed in your task, and that means our deal is off. And not only that, you somehow slew the insects I sent to observe the battle and report back to me.”

“Fuck you, Naraku!” Sora retorted. “We don't like going into battle with some jackass looking over our shoulder. And we didn't fail; we just suffered a setback. Besides, if Inuyasha and his friends are so easy to get rid of, why haven't you done it yourself?!”

Anger flashed across Naraku's visage, and Sora knew she had hit a sore spot. Her brother interrupted before she could exploit it and rile the dark hanyou any further.

“Though she speaks in the manner of a common ogre, my sister is right,” he said, pointedly ignoring the glare Sora shot his way. “In a few days, I will be completely recovered, and we will be as strong as ever. Kagome can't possibly have any more surprises in store f—”

“What kind of surprises has she given you so far?” Naraku interjected suddenly, his interest obviously peaked. Takehiko grinned. Got him.

“You'll never find out unless you allow us another opportunity to complete our side of the deal. Or perhaps you will, but only when you experience them first-hand. I can tell you that being caught unawares is not pleasant, nor good for one’s health. As for your insects, many of them were slain by Inuyasha's cohorts. We used a powerful smoke potion to make our escape, and the rest must have succumbed to it.”

Naraku was clearly unhappy with this development, but was somewhat mollified by the prospect of learning new, exploitable things about his enemies.

“Very well. Tell me what you know about Kagome.”

“We succeeded in incapacitating Inuyasha, and were about to finish him off when Kagome stepped in. She was a full youkai, and a most worthy adversary, as you can see,” he added motioning to the bandages on his chest. Naraku's eyes widened slightly, and Takehiko could see the wheels turning in that screwed-up head of his.

“How did she act when she was transformed?”

“She came after us with savage abandon and singular focus, though she retained her ability to speak. She seemed incredibly protective of Inuyasha.”

Silence reigned for several moments as Naraku digested the new information. “Interesting. Is there anything else I should know?”

“No, I don't believe there is.”

Nodding, Naraku turned to depart. “Do not fail a second time. There will be no more opportunities.” With that, he was gone.

“What an arrogant prick!” Sora shouted, causing her brother to sigh.

“Yes, but a necessary one, nonetheless.”

At this, Sora turned her ire on her brother. “Oh, is that why you were treating him like your fuckin' master? `You'll never find out unless you allow us another opportunity to complete our side of the deal.' What the fuck is that?! Why didn't you just get on your knees and beg him to lower his hakama?!”

“Please. We've dealt with his type before. If you don't appeal to their arrogance, you won't get anywhere. I did what I had to do to undo the damage caused by your thoughtless blustering!”

“Oh, yeah? Well I always thought you were the one with the balls in the family, but I guess it was me!”

“At least my oversized ego doesn't prevent me from using my brain once and awhile! Do you think you can take Naraku yourself? We have no idea what he is capable of. And besides, we cannot afford to fight him until Inuyasha and his friends have been eliminated.”

Sora snarled angrily, but conceded to her brother's point.

“And if you were paying attention, you would have noticed the thing I didn't tell Naraku.”

“What was that?” she asked sulkily, though her eyes revealed her interest.

“That Kagome still retains her miko powers, even when she is full youkai.”

“Huh? Why didn't you tell him that?”

Takehiko shrugged. “He came to take our jewel shards away and basically threatened to kill us. If he wanted that information, he should have been less of a…what was it? Oh, yes, an `arrogant prick.'”

“Heh. Maybe you're not such a pussy after all.”

“Apparently, using your head before your sword makes you a pussy around here,” he muttered under his breath.

“What was that?”

“Nothing, Sora. Now I believe I asked you for some water?” Grinning, Takehiko watched as his sister stomped irritably to a nearby stream. These next few days were going to be fun.


Kagome grinned sardonically. So much for this being a good day…

Things had immediately gone south when she led Inuyasha, still carrying Sango, back to the village she and Miroku had found shelter in. The whispers had started before they even set foot in the village proper, and her ears were burning so hotly that it was a wonder they didn't suddenly burst into flame. Her thoughts drifted back to the village they had rescued after their last meeting with Totosai, but the reaction they were getting from these people was completely different. Instead of suspicion, there was downright hostility. The word ‘youkai’ wasn't spoken so much as it was spit out, as if it pierced the tongue to form the two filthy syllables. She kept her eyes on the path, trying to avoid meeting the hateful glares she could feel burning holes in her skin. Loathing saturated the air, leaving it to hang oppressively down upon her shoulders. She had never in her life felt so abhorred, so detested.

A slight nudge on her arm brought her attention to the side, where Inuyasha was gazing at her with a mixture of anger and concern. She pressed closer to him, linking her elbow with his as she accepted his comfort. Inuyasha growled in frustration. He wanted so badly to reach out and touch her, clasp her hand, shelter her from the hate. But Sango was asleep on his back, and if he released one of her legs it would end up dragging on the ground. More whispers drifted to his ears, drawing his attention back to the villagers who passed by on either side. He met their glares with one of his own, the thought of backing down never crossing his mind. It gave him grim satisfaction that not a single human managed to look away after he did.

But that was a small victory, barely a ripple in the great sea of his fury. He had been in villages like this before, where the humans wished him a horrible death the moment they laid eyes upon him. Fortunately, these were very rare. They usually occurred because of bloody problems with youkai in the recent past. There were also villages that openly accepted youkai, or at least tolerated their presence without prejudice. Kaede's village was becoming one of these, but they were also few and far between. The vast majority of human settlements were somewhere in between these two extremes. Most humans in Japan regarded youkai with suspicion, even contempt, but were content to let them alone. They took a ‘you don't hurt me, and I won't hurt you’ approach to youkai, one which suited Inuyasha just fine. They feared him, openly wondered if he would turn on them and start a slaughter, but didn't voice hatred or wish him dead.

The last time he had been in a village of the first variety was almost a hundred years ago. He shuddered at the memory. He had been just a boy back then, barely on his own, looking for a place to stay. How naïve he'd been, seeking shelter in a place where youkai were lower than dirt. And if those villagers had their way, underground was exactly where he would have ended up. He could still hear his own cries, his pleas for them to stop, all in vain. Their eyes, glowing crimson with malice, as they punished him for being born, for being alive. His panic, his desperation to escape rising out of control as he could no longer stomach the scent of his own blood… He never again put himself in such a situation. The next time he had been at the mercy of anyone, it had been Kikyou's arrows pinning him to a tree by his clothes as the miko contemplated whether or not to finish him off. And when she lowered her bow, it had been the first time in his life that anyone had shown him mercy. And so it had begun, his journey of companionship, heartbreak, and…love? Did he still love Kikyou? He used to be so sure of that one simple fact, but now he felt doubt, and it made him uneasy. Perhaps he would have continued to contemplate these questions, but there was one word in the cacophony of verbal abuse he was tuning out that he could not ignore.

“Whore!”

Kagome's outraged gasp was like a knife through his heart, and if he ever saw that look on her face again, he would personally rip out the throat of whoever put it there, even if it was himself. Spinning toward the offender, he let loose a feral snarl. Every human in the area backed up a step, and the speaker, a short, wrinkly woman who did a little more than fill out her kimono, quickly lost her courage and scurried into a nearby hut.

“Fucking nasty old skank!” he cursed quietly. “If she wasn't so fat and ugly there wouldn't be a problem. She's just jealous that she doesn't look like you anymore. Fuck, she probably never did!”

So enraged, so engrossed was Inuyasha with his seething, that he didn't realize what he had just said until Kagome leaned closer to him, raising herself up to place a kiss on his cheek. More accusations deriding her chastity reached her ears, but somehow they didn't seem to matter as much anymore. Inuyasha grinned, quite satisfied with himself.  He couldn’t stop the insults, but he at least made Kagome feel better about them.  

“Where are we?” came a drowsy voice behind him.

“Oh, Sango-chan, you’re awake.  How are you feeling?”  

“Alright, I guess,” the taijiya answered weakly. “Is this the village Houshi-sama is staying at?” she asked, perking up suddenly.

“Yep,” Kagome replied with a knowing smile.

Sango looked around, frowning. “Why is everyone glaring at us?”

“Oh, trust me, Sango. They're not glaring at you,” Inuyasha spoke up bitterly. Sango glanced at Kagome, confirming Inuyasha's words, then leaned her head back down against him.

“Bastards,” she said tiredly.

“You got that right, taijiya.”

“Kagome-chan,” Sango tried, “why don't we just grab the others and leave?”

“Not a chance, Sango-chan. You need the bed rest.”

“I'm fine!”

“You're not. You're too weak to walk because of all the blood you lost, and you need to stay warm and indoors or you might get sick. Besides, Inuyasha and Kirara don't need to be lugging you all over Feudal Japan.”

“Houshi-sama could car—” Sango cut herself off, realizing the absurdity of her statement before she had completely uttered it. Just how long would the monk's hands stay under her knees where Inuyasha's were? Ten, maybe fifteen seconds? No thank you. Her butt was not a handhold, at least not yet. Sighing, Sango relented.

“Inuyasha,” she said seriously, “if things get too bad, I want you to just stick me on Kirara and drag Kagome out of here by the hair if you have to.”

“No problem,” he replied, enjoying the scandalized look Kagome sent his way.

“Good. Now get me to a bed so I can sleep some more.”

Inuyasha smirked; Sango had just given him permission to do something he was planning on doing anyway. Kagome might be ignoring the insults and threatening glowers now, but there was no way they were staying here if things didn't die down. In two days he had failed to prevent Kagome from experiencing two of the curses of being a hanyou, and he was none too pleased with himself. Hopefully now she would realize to a fuller extent what life was like for hanyou and change back into a human as she belonged.

Kagome sighed in relief as they finally entered the inn; she didn't plan on going outside again until the next morning. The innkeeper's eyes widened as he spied Inuyasha standing beside her, and even further when he noticed her ears.

“You crooked monk!” he yelled. “You didn't say anything about more youkai…” His voice faded out as he stormed off down the hall. A short, muffled conversation later, and he was back, pushing past them without making eye contact. Kagome felt sorry for the next person to cross his path; he smelled absolutely livid.

“What the fuck is his problem?” Inuyasha asked.

“Just another bigot in a town full of them,” came Miroku's voice just before the monk emerged from the doorway to their room. “I am sorry about your reception, but…I…” He trailed off as Sango's head came up and they locked eyes. Miroku was at her side in an instant. “Sango, are you alright?”

“F-fine, Houshi-sama,” she replied, stiffening as the monk's hand came to rest upon her lower back. In her current position, her butt was especially vulnerable, and Kagome was watching the wandering appendage like a hawk. But Miroku appeared to have other things on his mind at the moment, like the bandages visible on the exposed portion of Sango's back, as he began to lift the sweatshirt she wore to check her injuries.

“Don't worry, Miroku-sama,” Kagome said, swiftly pulling his hand away. “The wounds aren't that serious. Sango-chan will be fine in a few days.”

Frowning, the monk relented reluctantly. “Well, then come inside and lay her down. I managed to…persuade the innkeeper to grant us another night.”

Following him inside the tiny room, Inuyasha placed Sango down on the futon, and Miroku drew the blankets up over her. Sango pulled them up to her nose, blushing prettily at the action. But the pleasant mood their reunion had created was short-lived. Miroku rose to his feet, brushing off his robes.

“I'm going to see if I can't find us some more suitable lodging for the night. This room would be very cramped for all of us.”

Kagome couldn't argue with that logic, but she almost protested anyway. There was something mischievous in his tone and demeanor. If Sango's rising irritation was any indication, she hadn't been the only one who noticed it. Sure enough, moments after the lecherous monk departed, a young woman's voice rang out into the silence.

“Oh, Houshi-sama! You're such a tease!”

Kagome was glad she couldn't make out Miroku's suave reply, and even more grateful that Sango couldn't hear it. But both she and the slayer knew what her fiancé was doing, and Kagome fully expected Sango to start fuming any second. Instead, to her everlasting shock, the taijiya merely heaved a heavy sigh and stared at the ceiling, the scent of her grief perfuming the air inside the room. Kagome groped blindly for something to make her friend feel better.

“Um, Shippou? Has Miroku-sama been behaving himself?” she asked, silently praying for an affirmative answer.

“Actually, yeah, he has. Some girls tried to talk to him this morning, but he ignored them. Mostly he just sat around meditating.”

“There, you see Sango-chan?! He was too worried about you to flirt with anybody!” Kagome declared, beaming. Her face immediately fell when the older girl simply scoffed at her.

“Oh, so now that I'm fine, he goes off to womanize instead of spending time with me? Gee, Kagome-chan, why doesn't that make me feel any better?” she bit out sarcastically.

“Um…” Shippou interrupted, “I'm going outside.”

“Yeah…me too,” Inuyasha reiterated awkwardly. Both of the boys were obviously becoming uncomfortable with the ‘girl talk,’ and Kagome certainly wouldn't mind the privacy.

“Alright, but don't go far, especially you, Shippou-chan. This village is dangerous.”

“Okay, Kagome,” the kit agreed, grabbing his crayons and coloring books from her bag before following Inuyasha out the door. Now the miko found herself in a familiar quandary—trying to think of something to buck up Sango's spirits. Finding nothing, she sighed in defeat.

“I know it looks bad, Sango-chan, but he really does care about you.”

“I know.”

“Yes, he does. He—wait, you do?”

“I know he cares, Kagome-chan, and that used to be enough for me. But he proposed, Kagome-chan!” Here, Sango paused, her lips quirking in a wistful, if not sad smile at the memory. “You know, he asked me to live with him and bear his children, but he never asked me to be his wife. At the time, I thought that question was implied, but now I'm not so sure.”

Kagome gasped as the implication of Sango's words set in. “You can't think that he would have you as a…mistress, can you?”

“Why not?” Sango growled, her frustration returning full force. “Do you think he would marry any of the other girls he asks to bear his children? I will not be some man's toy, Kagome-chan, to be used and then thrown out and replaced by younger flesh. It's marriage or nothing!” Taking a deep breath to calm herself, Sango resumed her staring contest with the boards of wood overhead. “And I'm just not sure Houshi-sama is, or ever will be, capable of being a faithful husband. Nothing has changed since the day he proposed to me, and I'm beginning to suspect it never will. I've thought…I've considered taking back the answer I gave him that day.”

Kagome could only gape at her friend; she had no idea Sango's insecurities concerning Miroku ran so deeply. Then again, it appeared no one knew, especially not the monk himself. Sango was a warrior, and like many warriors she concealed her emotions and true feelings behind a well-crafted mask of indifference. Sympathy and anger gripped Kagome, the latter slowly blocking out the former. Rising stiffly to her feet, fists clenched, she turned to give a certain baka houshi a piece of her mind.

“Where are you going, Kagome-chan?” Sango didn't need a response to draw the correct conclusion. “You can't tell him anything! Promise me you won't speak a word of this to him!”

“But—”

“No buts, Kagome-chan. Promise me!”

Shoulders slumping in dejection, Kagome plopped back down on the floor. “Alright, Sango-chan, I promise. But you need to talk to him! You two belong together!”

“That's a nice thought, Kagome-chan. But what do you think happens every time I get him alone and actually have the courage to bring it up? Grope! Slap! End of conversation!”

Now Kagome was even more furious with the monk, if that was even possible. “I have an idea. I'll tie him up and stick a sock in his mouth. Then he'll have to listen to you!”

“No, then I'd be too tempted to leave him like that,” Sango replied, cracking a tentative smirk.

“Oh, well then I'll just have to remove his right hand.”

“It would probably still find its way to my butt. `It has a mind of its own,' you know,” Sango mimicked, a fair imitation of the wayward monk. Both girls let loose genuine, if not strained, laughter at the joke. That is, until Sango hissed and clutched her stomach.

“Ow…”

“Alright, Sango-chan, let's change your bandages.”

The slayer grimaced. “Do we have to?”

“Yep. Now's the perfect time.”

“Yeah, `cause we know Houshi-sama will be gone for a while,” Sango said bitterly, her brief good mood dissipating.

“Oh, Sango-chan…don't worry. Things will get better soon.”

“If you say so,” Sango replied, though she didn't really believe it. Kagome helped her lift the sweatshirt and began removing the old bandages. Some blood had leaked through the inner layers, but overall her wounds were closing up nicely. As the miko rewrapped them, Sango spoke up again. “Thanks for trying to make me feel better, Kagome-chan.”

“No problem. What are friends for?”

“Hm. So…how are things going between you and Inuyasha?”

Kagome's hands paused noticeably, the question catching her off guard, as she contemplated her answer.

“Uh…nothing new to report, really. We haven't kissed again or anything like that.”

“You sound disappointed.”

At this point, Kagome lost her inner battle to keep her cheeks from reddening. “S-so what if I am? Is it wrong of me to want him to kiss me, to love me?”

“Of course not, Kagome-chan,” Sango hurriedly stated, deciding to take the conversation in a different direction. “How about in general then? You two seem to be getting along well.”

Kagome grinned contentedly. “I feel closer to him every day. Ever since I became a hanyou, I've learned things about him, come to understand him better. And he's been more open with me, too. I guess I just feel like I know him better now.”

“Oh, yeah?” Sango asked with genuine interest. “What things do you know about him now that you didn't before?”

“Well, there's the reason he doesn't like his ears rubbed, and he's…” Kagome trailed off, blushing even harder at what she'd almost blurted out, and hoping Sango would let it go. No such luck.

“What are you embarrassed about? Spill! Spill!”

“Alright, Sango-chan! I…well, he…feels attracted towards me.”

Sango rolled her eyes. “That's it? Tell me something half of Musashi didn't already know.”

“Well, I didn't know!” Having had just about enough of this particular conversation, Kagome finished re-bandaging the slayer's wounds and turned to leave.

“Wait, Kagome-chan! I'm sorry for teasing you. I really am happy for you,” Sango said, even as a few tears escaped her. She couldn't say whether they were products of her jealousy or her self-reproach for being jealous in the first place. Either way, Kagome seemed to understand, as she dropped down to the floor and enfolded the older girl in warm embrace. Maybe it was the physical weakness, but Sango could no longer hold back the dam on her emotions. It had been so long since she cried, since she vented her pent-up frustrations concerning her relationship with the monk. She didn't know how long she wept on Kagome's shoulder, only that when she pulled away she felt totally drained, yet somehow in better spirits than before.

“Sorry,” she sniffled, motioning to the wet spot on Kagome's blouse.

“That's ok. What are friends for?” she joked, finally earning a genuine smile from the taijiya. “You know,” she continued, “when Inuyasha always ran off to see Kikyou, I would find myself jealous of your relationship with Miroku-sama. So don't give up hope yet, okay?”

Sango nodded, and this time Kagome could see the hope in her eyes, that she truly believed that things might work out in the end.

“Now, go to sleep. You need your rest.”

“Okay.”

Sango was asleep the instant her head touched the pillow. Kagome tiptoed out of the room as quietly as possible, closing the shoji door behind her. She had a determined glint in her eye, and a mission in mind. Sango made me promise not to talk to *Miroku*, but she didn't say anything about *Inuyasha*. Upon emerging from the inn, she scented the air, discerning that her hanyou was close by.

“Inuyasha?” she called. A low groan sounded above her, and moments later a dog-eared head popped into view off the side of the roof. His eyes were droopy, as if she had just woken him from a nap. Poor guy…he probably didn't get a wink of sleep last night, she thought, stifling a yawn herself. We both need some shuteye.

“Whaddya want, wench?” he inquired tiredly. Kagome thought about asking him to come down, but reconsidered. Instead, she leapt up to the roof and sat down next to him.

“Did you hear any of that?” she asked.

“Keh. I wasn't eavesdropping, wench. I was trying to sleep.”

If that behavior seemed odd, he had a perfectly good reason for it. There was no way he was allowing himself any sleep tonight. This village was openly hostile to them as it was, and in his experience nighttime seemed to bring out the darkness in people. He was fully expecting trouble sometime after sunset. He listened idly as Kagome recapped her conversation with Sango, leaving out the parts about him. Inuyasha could tell she'd left something out, but didn't press her on it. He was only half-listening anyway.

“So I need you to go talk to Miroku-sama, okay?”

That got his attention. “What? Why would I want to talk to that hentai?”

Grrrrr. “Have you been listening to a word I've said? You need to tell him that Sango-chan is at her wit's end. If he doesn't stop womanizing, he could lose her forever!”

“And I care because…”

Snarling, Kagome grabbed him by both forelocks and dragged his face down until it was an inch in front of hers. He gulped at the fierceness of her gaze.

“Don't even think about trying to tell me you don't care, Inuyasha! I know you. Drop the act!”

Inuyasha sighed, lowering his eyes as Kagome released him. “Alright, wench. I'll talk to the bouzu. But that doesn't mean I'll do it today!”

Kagome smirked, content to let him have that small victory. She had won the war, after all.

“Thank you, Inuyasha,” she said sweetly.

“Keh. Now either be quiet or beat it. I'm tryin' to sleep here.” With that, he flopped back down on the roof, resting his hands behind his head. Kagome glared at him for a moment, but then a rogue thought entered her mind, something crazy that she never would have considered doing until very recently. Then again, they had already shared a bed in her time…

Steeling her rebellious nerves, she gingerly laid down against Inuyasha's side, resting her head on his shoulder. He stiffened underneath her, but made no move to push her away. He relaxed soon enough, bringing his arm down around her shoulders, pulling her closer. Matching flushes graced their cheeks, but matching smiles as well. They stayed like that for several hours, dozing the afternoon away in peace.

They awoke a little before dusk to the sound of Miroku calling their names. It was then that they realized that Shippou had disappeared. Kagome wanted to go look for him, but Inuyasha persuaded her to let him be, and that he was just off playing. Evidently, the monk had managed to perform an ‘exorcism,’ and procured for them lodging at one of the largest residences in the village. The owner was so grateful that he even welcomed Inuyasha, Kagome, and Kirara indoors, though he did so through uncomfortably clenched teeth. Upon entering, the two hanyou realized that someone in the household really had been possessed by a youkai; the lingering scent was unmistakable.

At dinner, they learned from Miroku that the victim had been the owner's daughter, and that she was recovering nicely. Very nicely, it seemed. Just as they were settling down for the night, a gorgeous, breathtakingly beautiful young woman dressed in ornate robes opened the shoji door to their room. She wore a sultry smirk, one that could only mean one thing, and directed her heated stare straight at Miroku. The monk stood and followed the little vixen without a word or a look back.

Inuyasha had to physically restrain Kagome from going after him, she was so incensed. Any hope she had managed to restore in Sango that afternoon perished instantly, and she could tell the slayer was completely heartbroken. Fortunately, or unfortunately, they didn't have much time to dwell on the infidelities of the lecherous houshi. Inuyasha bolted upright, listening intently as the sounds of an angry mob slowly grew in volume. He and Kagome rushed outside, followed by Kirara with Sango on her back. Torches dotted the clearing before them, and the air was thick with threats of death, but the most frightening sight of all was wielded by one man at the head of the group. It was a long pole perhaps the length of a man, and tied to the end of this pole was a thin rope. And tied to the end of this rope by the tail, hanging limply in unconsciousness, was Shippou.


A/N - this fic has been mostly Inu/Kag so far, but if you read “Separation” you know I'm a big fan of Sango/Miroku too. And before you ask, yes, there will be more on Inuyasha's harrowing experience when he was a child. I purposefully skimped on detail in the last part of this chapter because I didn't want to give away too much info. Next chapter: Miroku and Shippou's sides of the story.
I don't know how many of you saw the Robot Chicken parody of Inuyasha, but I'd recommend checking it out for a quick laugh. I’m sure you could find it on youtube easily enough. I just hope I never take my Inuyasha obsession that far, LOL.
Converting /tmp/phpFmBtMk to /dev/stdout