InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mind Reader ❯ A Most Thrilling Journey, Pt III ( Chapter 32 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mind Reader
 
Chapter 29: A Most Thrilling Journey, Pt 3
 
oOoOoOoOoOo
 
Sango once again stole another peek at Kagome. The young miko had practically been glowing all morning. The only thing she could guess was that something good had happened after she had run away last night. When she felt a light pat on her butt her thoughts quickly switched from Kagome to the soon to be dead monk.
 
“PERVERT!” she screeched while turning around, her first raised, ready to beat the monk into oblivion. Her eyes grew wide in surprise when Miroku expertly caught her fist in his own. “Wha?” she stammered. “How did you?”
Miroku grinned, thoroughly pleased with himself that he had been able to render Sango almost speechless. “My dear Sango, with how many times you hit me it was only a matter of time before I learned your moves and would be able to defend against them.”
 
Wrenching her hand free of his Sango gave him a withering glare. “How come yesterday you were walking into trees and today you're able to defend yourself?”
 
Miroku laughed, again pleased with himself. “After years of being hit by angry women my body has learned the art of fast recovery. Don't you love it?”
 
Sango crossed her arms and stalked ahead of him. “No,” she replied hotly. “I much preferred when you were half delirious.”
 
He quickly caught up to the young woman and walked alongside her. Sango ignored him and simply stared straight ahead. “Sango? Is something wrong?”
 
“Why would anything be wrong?” she growled, for some odd reason deciding to drill holes in the back of Inuyasha's head.
 
“Well,” began Miroku. He had to speak carefully now, he was treading on dangerous grounds. “Your temper, is how to put it, rather short and violent this morning. And you seem to be attempting to murder Inuyasha even thought he has barely spoken to you this morning. What's on your mind?”
 
Sango sighed and her shoulders slumped. She stared down at her hands and spoke softly. “You know where we're going. Of all places why did Naraku have to choose there? How can I fight on my village's remains?”
 
Miroku draped a comforting arm around her shoulders, pleased when she didn't push him away. “He did it because he is Naraku. He would take any advantage he could get, even a cheap one. Don't worry, it'll be fine, you'll see.”
 
They both looked up when a stream of white hair walked in front of them. Sesshoumaru stared down at them from the corner of his eye. “Now you know why I demanded an extra day. Perhaps it will give you enough time to grieve so your mind will then be able to focus completely on the upcoming battle.”
 
Sango floundered for a moment at the thoughtfulness that seemed so unlike Sesshoumaru. Miroku was rendered equally speechless.
 
“But…why do you care?” asked Sango finally.
 
“Why? Did you already forget the defeat we suffered at the hands of just Akki? This time it will be Naraku and Akki, and possibly Naraku's underlings as well.”
 
“Oh,” responded Sango. Then she immediately tensed up as her eyes grew hard. Sesshoumaru looked at the enraged demon exterminator in curiousity. Something had just pushed her over the edge.
 
Miroku had been around the young woman long enough to know what she was thinking. He pulled her closer and looked back up at Sesshoumaru. “Do you happen to know of the young boy that Naraku has under his control?”
 
Sesshoumaru simply nodded.
 
“He's Sango's younger brother, Kohaku. Naraku controls him with a shikon shard. He has made Kohaku and Sango fight several times now.”
 
“Then why aren't one of them dead?” asked Sesshoumaru, his old coldness coming back as the situation kept getting worse and worse.
 
Miroku's eyes hardened for a moment but then he quickly calmed again. If Sesshoumaru wanted to revert back to his old, crueler, self, then so be it. Miroku wouldn't fight it. “Sango has had the opportunity to kill Kohaku. But she can't do it. She can't kill her own brother. Can you blame her?”
 
Sesshoumaru shrugged his shoulders. “He's the enemy, is he not? So she should be able to kill him.”
 
“He's my brother!” said Sango dangerously, her voice laced with venom. “He isn't even aware of what he's doing!”
 
Miroku placed a silencing finger over Sango's lips. “Calm down Sango, it won't do any good to get yourself worked up.” Turning his attention back to the demon lord he said, “If Rin was suddenly put into Naraku's control, could you kill her? Could you willingly kill her knowing she didn't know what she was doing?”
 
Sesshoumaru opened his mouth but shut it just as quickly. He was going to say he could without hesitation, after all, she was just a human girl. But he knew that would have been a lie. Human or not, Rin was like a daughter to him. A daughter he never wanted to see killed. Whether he liked it or not she was now a prt of his life. “So be it,” said Sesshoumaru finally, avoiding the question Miroku had asked. “If Naraku brings this brother of your to the fight I'll take care of it. You have my word.” Without waiting for their response Sesshoumaru quickened his pace and was soon in front with Kagome, Inuyasha, and Kouga.
 
Sango turned to Miroku, her eyes wide with fear. “What…what did he mean he'd take care of it?”
 
Miroku stared at Sango with trepidation. He wasn't sure how she would respond to it so he prepared himself for the worse beating of his life before speaking. “Sango…I think he means that he'd kill him so you wouldn't have to.”
 
“What?” said Sango, her voice barely above a whisper. “He made it sound like he would be doing me a favor. Why the hell would I want him to kill my brother? Is he mad?”
 
Miroku wondered what Sango would think if she knew that Inuyasha had said the same thing as his half-brother just had. He promptly decided Sango didn't need to know that slight bit of info. “Sanog, you know as well as I do that Kohaku cannot life without a shikon shard. And as long as that shard is in his back he will never be free. Only through death can you free him.”
 
Sango shook her head in denial even though deep down she knew Miroku spoke nothing but the truth. But to actually voice her agreement with him would feel too much like a betrayal to her brother. Like she was officially condemning him to death. What kind of sister would condemn her own brother to being murdered?
 
Miroku saw the conflicting emotions plaguing Sango's eyes. He knew he had to get her mind off of Kohaku before she sunk further into her depression. He abrubtly stopped walking. Sango turned to him in confusion.
 
“Miroku?” she asked.
 
He silently stepped closer to her, Sango took an unkowing step back. She was forced wot stop moving when he cupped her chin in his hand. The look in his eyes unnerved her. Predator. That's what she saw in them. And if he was the predator that made her the prey. She gulped nervously.
 
`Perfect,' thought Miroku right before going in for the kill. He crushed her lips with his own, immensely pleased when she responded almost immediately. `Part one, complete success. Time for part 2.'
 
Sango was enjoying the feeling of Miroku kissing her when a hand suddenly groped her rear. The kiss ended immediately. “PERVERT!” she screamed in rage before slapping Miroku for all she was worth. Once the monk fell to the ground with a goofy grin on his face Sango stormed off to rejoin her more…sane…friends, all thoughts of Kohaku completely erased from her mind.
 
Using his staff for support Miroku slowly stood back up. His head sure was spinning. That was one of the most brutal slaps Sango had ever given him. But his smile never left his face as he tried to cathc up with the others. `I am a genius. Pure genius.'
 
oOoOoOoOoOo
 
Kouga glanced at Kagome from the corner of his eye. Her smile was beginning to unnerve him. Especially since she never said anything. Just smiled. Smiled, smiled, smiled. He swore he was going to blow any second.
 
Come on Kouga. Pull yourself together. No reason to get all worked up over something so small. But it's so unnatural. What the hell is going on that I don't know about? Dammit!
 
Without warning Kouga threw his arms up in the air and let loose a massive growl/groan. “That's it!” he yelled, managing to grind everyone to a halt. “I can't take it any longer!”
 
“Great,” sighed Inuyasha. “The wolf has finally lost his mind.” He brightened up a moment later. “Oh! Does that mean we can leave him behind?”
 
Damn muttface. If it weren't for these damn beads and your damn name I'd wipe that look off your face in a second.
 
Kagome rolled her eyes. “No Inuyasha, we …oops!” she exclaimed, staring wide-eyed at the now plastered wolf prince.
 
And for some reason the sight of Kouga being subdued still managed to crack Inuyasha up. In a hundred years if Kouga was still able to be subdued it would probably still manage to get a laugh out of the hanyou. He was just that easily amused.
 
Kouga glared up at Inuyasha. “I hope you laugh so hard you forget to breathe. Then you can finally die and I'll have my woman with no problem.”
 
Instead of getting angry at Kouga for calling Kagome his woman Inuyasha looked immensely pleased with himself. “Your woman, huh? Well then Kouga, why was I kissing your woman last night?”
 
“SIT!” screamed Kagome a second too late. She slapped her forehead with her hadn and groaned loudly. “Stupid Inuyasha,” she mumbled.
 
HE WHAT?
 
“HE WHAT?” bellowed Kouga, flying to his feet. He rushed to Kagome's side and grabbed her hands.
 
Sango and Miroku watched in interest. Surprisingly Sango had managed to control the perverted monk and not a single sick comment passed his lips.
 
“Kagome, did he force himself on you? I'll kill him, I swear. The hanyou will not get away with doing that to MY woman,” snarled Kouga, gripping Kagome's hands tightly.
 
Kagome shook her hands free from the now pyschotic wolf as he babbled on about the torture he would put Inuyasha through. “Inuyasha,” she said in exasperation.
 
When Kouga was successfully quieted she spoke again. “Kouga, he did not force me to do anything.” At his disbelieving and hurt look she sighed. “Kouga, you are my friend, nothing more. I'm sorry.”
 
Instead of saying anything to Kagome Kouga shook his head. “No Kagome! You do not know what you're saying! Akki caused this! Yes! Akki! You're mind is just scrambled right now. Yes! Once Akki is dead you'll be mind! Mine! All MINE!” he cackled madly.
 
Poor delusional wolf.
 
“NO! She's mine!” shouted Inuyasha in return. Why would she want some dirty wolf?”
 
“I'm better than some mangy mutt!” retorted Kouga.
 
I think I should let Akki kill everyone. Death would be much more pleasant than this continuing madness.
 
Kagome grinned at the extremely annoyed demon lord as Inuyasha and Kouga traded off insults. She ambled up to him and surprised him by grabbing his sleeve. “Come one, they're giving me a headache too.”
 
Sesshoumaru raised an eyebrow at the miko.
 
“You think it's bad listening to them only once? Try hearing everything in double. It's miserable.”
 
Sesshoumaru smirked before walking alongside the young woman. He snorted when she let out a growl of frustration.
 
MUTTFACE!
 
“MUTTFACE!”
 
WIMPY WOLF!
 
“WIMPY WOLF!”
 
DOGTURD!
 
“DOGTURD!”
 
oOoOoOoOoOo
 
Kagoem silently walked beside the demon lord as they drew closer to the demon exterminator's village. At the moment they were alone. In fact, she had no idea how far back everyone else actually were. For all she knew Inuyasha and Kouga were still going at it. Normally she wouldn't have left them for fear of them attempting to kill each other. But she trusted them enough to not do anything too drastic. Both had actually matured a tad bit. Now rather than immediately trying to claw and punch each other to death they merely shouted and cursed at each other. And anyways, if things did get out of hand Sango had hiraikotsu.
 
Kagome let out a deep sigh. She wouldn't tell anyone but she was really dreading the day after tomorrow. Who knew how the battle would go. But the odds were stacked quite high against them.
 
“You are scared,” stated Sesshoumaru bluntly.
 
“I'm that easy to read, huh?” laughed Kagome dryly.
 
“Perhaps. And if you weren't scared then my brother has definitely rubbed off on you too much.”
 
“So I suppose I'm just a weak human then?” Kagome couldn't fully explain it but she desperately wanted Sesshoumaru to approve of her. And she hated him thinking she was simply another weak human. Really grated on her nerves. She guessed on one level she looked up the demon lord. After all, he was so stron and ummoving in the face of anything. She wished she could be that strong and not give in to any danger without losing her cool. Inuyasha was strong too, but he was strong in the loud, obnoxious way. Sesshoumaru was silently strong. If she were like him she wouldn't be dreading the upcoming fight.
 
“If you want to call yourself weak, then do it. But I said nothing of the sort,” said Sesshoumaru in his standard cold voice. Really, sometimes that miko just outright annoyed him. She had a habit of putting words into his mouth.
 
“How do you do it Sesshoumaru?” asked Kagome softly.
 
“Hm?”
 
“How do you hide all your thoughts from me? I haven't been able to hear a single thought yet.”
 
“It truly isn't that hard to do. I have a firm hold of my mind. It wouldn't be hard to keep an intruder out of it. Perhaps if you had more control over your skill you would be able to sneak through. But as it is the only time you can mind read somehing is when I purposely let it through or when I'm not thinking about blocking.”
 
“If I had more control,” said Kagome ruefully. “That won't be happening. If anything I'm losing control of my mind.”
 
“Which is why you should be thankful I have such control over my mind. Or else you'd stuck with my thoughts like that damn brother of mine.”
 
Kagome laughed softly. “And what could you possibly be thinking of?” She deepened her voice to try and sound like Sesshoumaru. “KILL! BLOOD! DIE!”
 
Sesshoumaru scowled. “I am not a bloodthirsty creature.”
 
“Oh yeah, forgive me,” said Kagome. “What I meant was `oh dear! My hair has knots in it! How dreadful!'”
 
“My hair does not have knots in it,” growled Sesshoumaru. His face blanched. “Dammit, forget I ever said anything.”
 
Kagome snickered and patted the demon lord on his arm. “Sure thing Fluffy.” She so loved getting under his skin. And it was so easy to do.
 
“I don't know what my brother sees in you. You are an annoying wench, nothing more.” Sesshoumaru growled louder when Kagome simply laughed. “What is your problem? Do insults mean nothing to you?” Honestly, he never thought he'd ever understand this weird human.
 
“Oh no, I hate inuslts. But it's all a matter of how you say them. And you Fluffy, you're just a harmless old guy.”
 
“I could kill you with a flick of my hand,” grouned out Sesshoumaru between clenched teeth. Sometimes he truly thought the girl was suicidal. “And stop calling me that damn name!”
 
“Why, what name?” teased Kagome.
 
“You know the name I speak of.”
 
“Could you tell me please so I'm completely sure?” asked Kagome innocently.
 
Sesshoumaru clenched a fist tightly. “Fl…Flu…y…”
 
Kagome clapped her hands together in glee. “Oh my god! You can't say it, can you? It's too degrading of a word for you to say, eh? But it's not that hard Fluffy! See? I just said it again! Fluffy! Now come on, you try, I know you can say it! Flllluuuuufffffffy!”
 
Sesshoumaru closed his eyes tightly before he lost it. He snapped them open again. “You should tell everyone about your mind reading ability before the battle,” he said out of nowhere.
 
Kagome almost tripped over her own at that abrubt change of subject. “What?” she stumbled. “That was sure a fast change of subject. And why should I?”
 
Sesshoumaru raised an eyebrow at her. “Why? I think you've hidden your condition from them for long enough. They do suspect you know. They aren't sure what, but they know you are hiding from them.”
 
“Condition? You make it sound like I have a disease!” exclaimed Kagome.
 
Sesshoumaru stared back ahead. “Well in one way you do. You are dying after all.”
 
With that one comment Kagome realized that no matter how different Sesshoumaru seemed he was still the cold and indifferent demon lord she knew from before. How he could say somehing so coldhearted and not even flinch was beyond her realm of understanding. Kagome bowed her head and clenched her hands tightly. “Thanks for reminding me,” she said tightly. “I had almost forgotten the fact that I was dying. Stupid me.”
 
Sesshoumaru narrowed his eyes at the display of emotion had received from her. He had forgotten how emotional the girl was. “Raise your head human,” he demanded. “If you don't want to be called weak than do not act weak. If you are weak you will let Akki win and finish his move on you and kill you. If you are strong you will fight for all you're worth and save yourself. Now, are you strong or weak?”
 
Kagome's head snapped up to stare up at Sesshoumaru. “I'm strong,” she replied defiantly.
 
Sesshoumaru inwardly smiled. She had been almost too easy to get her to see the error in her way of reacting. But then, he was a lord after all, he had the ability to know how to manipulate people to get the reactions he wanted out of them. “Good. Then we will fight Naraku and Akki. And they will both die.”
 
Kagome's determination faltered. “But…you remember the last battle. We all almost died.”
 
“But we didn't,” replied Sesshoumaru.
 
“But now we're going to be fighting Akki, Naraku, and who knows who else,” responded Kagome.
 
“Fine, then you'll die,” answered Sesshoumaru bluntly. The human was annoying. One minute she was determined to kill the enemy, the next she was saying it was hopeless. He wished she could just make up her mind. “But before you do die tell everyone about your mind reading ability.”
 
Kagome glared at the demon lord and crossed her arms. Sometime she seriously wondered what possessed her to ever try and talk to him. “And why should I do that?”
 
“Because it may prove valuable in the upcoming fight.”
 
“How?” asked Kagome, now completely confused.
 
Sesshoumaru rolled his eyes in disbelief. “Are you really that dense? But to answer your question, it would allow us to tell you stuff without our enemies hearing. And with your purification arrows that could be just the advantage we need.”
 
Kagome chewed her bottom lip and twisted one hand in the bottom of her skirt. Sesshoumaru could smell the nervousness emanating out of her body. “But…”
 
“You're afraid of my brother and what he'll do.”
 
“Well…yeah. You know Inuyasha. He never exactly chooses the most logical course of action.”
 
Sesshoumaru smirked. “Just threaten to not repeat last night with him ever again. I'm sure he'll calm immediately.”
 
Kagome's jaw dropped. The dog demon never ceased to amaze with his actions and words. And that was not necessarily a good thing. “You are unbelievable,” she finally said.
 
Knowing he would regret it but not fully caring Sesshoumaru snickered. “That is right, forgive me. For that punishment would also be torture for you.”
 
“BEG!” shouted Kagome.
 
Yes, you're far too predictable.
 
Well aware that she couldn't really hurt the demon Kagome delivered a swift kick to his side. Sesshoumaru didn't even flinch. She she kicked him again. “You're…so…ARGH!”
 
Sesshoumaru quirked an eyebrow at the insane miko who was muttering incorherently under her breath and he believed trying to harm him with her pathetic kicking.
 
Could you kick a little higher? I'm quite sore and the massage would feel nice.
 
Rather than listening to him Kagome got a wicked look in her eye. “Beg,” she said in a surprisingly calm voice before sitting down on his back, his glorious hair spread out around her. When Sesshoumaru felt her running her fingers through his hair he grew a tad bit nervous. He really was too vulnerable with that damn spell.
 
Get your hands out of my hair you damn wench.
 
“Beg.”
 
Kagome laughed with excitement when a growl reverberated through Sesshoumaru's chest. Oh yes, she would get her revenge.
 
oOoOoOoOoOo
 
Thirty minutes later the others finally were able to catch up to Kagome and Sesshoumaru. Both Inuyasha and Kouga had some nice bumps on their heads from where Sango smashed them with her boomerange.
 
Through the foliage of the forest Inuyasha saw his brother face down on the ground, Kagome sitting on top of him. She looked positively evil. Growing a little nervous he slowed down slightly. When Kouga gave him a curious gaze he quickly sped up again.
 
Sesshoumaru smelled the others coming. If he was one to panic he would have been by this point. He tried to push the girl off of him one last time.
 
“Beg,” said Kagome absently, putting the finishing touches on Sesshoumaru. “And perhaps this will teach you to behave yourself in the future.”
 
This will teach me to kill you the next chance I get.
 
“Empty threat,” replied Kagome dryly.
 
I hate you.
 
“Means nothing.” Kagome looked up with a bright smile when she heard the others coming up to her. She got off Sesshoumaru's back and the demon lord promptly jumped up and scowled.
 
“Kagome?” questioned Sango. “Are you all…” The color suddenly drained from her face when she caught sight of the fuming demon lord. She heard Miroku's staff clatter to the ground in his shock.
 
Inuyasha and Kouga peered over the two awestruck human's shoulders. Kouga's jaw went slack and he froze. Inuyasha stood in surprise before a loud laugh erupted from his throat.
 
Sesshoumaru looked ready to kill everyone. But his angry look was quickly lost when you caught sight of his hair. Two cute little braided pigtails trailed down his chest, pretty purple flowers woven in at random intervals to help accentuate the look. And with his colored markings he finally fully looked the part of a woman.