InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mind Reader ❯ Sayonara, Secrecy ( Chapter 33 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mind Reader
 
Chapter 30: Sayonara, Secrecy
oOoOoOoOoOo
 
Inuyasha glanced hesitantly at his half-brother. For the first time in his life he was scared of Sesshoumaru. Frightened. Terrified. You name it, Inuyasha was it. He was afraid that even if he just let out an innocent sneeze Sesshoumaru would snap and maul him then and there. Of course it probably had a lot to do with the fact that the great demon lord was still currently in the possession of two flowery pigtails.
 
It didn't matter that they had come upon the fuming demon and pleased miko over 30 minutes ago. Nope, the pigtails were still firmly in place. Sesshoumaru had tried to unsuccessfully take them off three times now. Everytime his hand got within six inches of his hair a `beg' hit him. And the third time Kagome threatened to cut off a foot of hair each time he tried to take them off.
 
At that point Inuyasha, and the other innocent bystanders, thought Sesshoumaru's head would blow off. The demon's face went bright red with anger and his hands slowly clenched and unclenched in an effort to reign in some of his rage. No one knew how it he did it, but Sesshoumaru remained in control of his emotions and simply set his lips in a grim line and stalked off.
 
He had been at least 20 feet ahead of everyone else since then. And no one was brave, or dumb, enough to get within 20 feet of him. They could almost feel the waves of anger emanating from his body. If Inuyasha and Kouga gave into their canine instincts both would have been running in the opposite direction with their tails between their legs.
 
Well, no one was brave/dumb enough except for the girl who had put the dog demon into his foul mood.
 
Inuyasha almost jumped in shock when he felt Kagome brush by him. She was about to enter the `I wish to die' territory.
 
You've got to be shitting me. She's going…in there?
 
No! How is she supposed to be my woman if she gets smashed to bits by Sesshoumaru?
 
Kagome gave both the panicking males a cheerful smile. “I'm going to go talk to Sesshoumaru. You guys may want to stay back here though.”
 
You don't have to tell me twice. I'm not getting anywhere near Sesshoumaru when he's like this.
 
Kagome rolled her eyes when she was facing away from Inuyasha. How quick he was able to push her out on her own.
 
“Um, Kagome?” called out Sango.
 
“Yeah?”
 
“Uh…good luck?”
You'll definitely need it.
 
Kagome shot Sango a thumbs-up sign. “I'll be fine. After all, the roasy's on my side!” Without another word to her worried and frightened friends she entered the forbidden zone.
 
No you don't you damn wench. Don't you even think of coming any closer. I swear I'll kill you. My poison could kill you in an instant.
 
Kagome smiled amiably at the back of Sesshoumaru's head and spet up to catch up with him. When she drew abreast of him she slapped his arm good-naturedly. “How's it going Sesshoumaru?”
 
Better if I could kill you. Actually, anyone would do by this point.
 
“But Sesshoumaru! I was doing you a favor! Your hair must make you all hot and sweaty so I was tying it back for you,” replied Kagome innocently.
 
“Do you take me for a fool?” asked Sesshoumaru dryly. “This was your idea for your petty revenge. For what I still don't understand.”
 
“A. Disrupting me and Inuyasha last night. B. Having dirty thoughts. C. Voicing dirty thoughts. D. Being stuck up. E. Being arrogant. Shall I continue?”
 
“If you truly thought you were doing me a favor there are many less…degrading…ways of tying back hair,” said Sesshoumaru, completely ignoring Kagome's reasoning.
 
“Can I cut it?”
 
“NO!” shouted Sesshoumaru vehemently. He immediately calmed back down, slightly embarrassed at his lack of control. But he couldn't help it. He liked his hair. “If you want to destroy someone's hair do it to my pathetic hanyou brother. He's already a disgrace to the family.”
 
“To the family, huh,” commented Kagome. “So that means…you?”
 
Sesshoumaru sighed softly. “I am the demon lord of the western lands. Everything I do reflects back on my lands. Unfortunately since Inuyasha is from the same bloodline as my own his acts also reflect back on my lands.”
 
“Well if he's such a `disgrace' to you and your rule why don't you do something about it?”
 
Smirking, Sesshoumaru said, “have all the times I tried to kill slip past you?”
 
Kagome scoffed. “You know, I think you were never really aiming to kill him. After all, there were times you could but didn't. You were testing him, weren't you? Helping him get stronger by acting like you wanted to kill him.”
 
Sesshoumaru stared at the girl, completely flabbergasted at her gall of saying something so stupid. Kagome continued, unabashed.
 
“You know Sesshoumaru, you truly aren't a bad person. In fact, to me you seem good and honorable. But why do you hide behind your cold and indifferent face all the time? Why do you like to pretend to be a cold-hearted killer? Are you sca…”
 
Kagome was abrubtly cut off by a taloned hand encircling her neck, sharp nails dangerously close to piercing her skin. Her wide eys plainly showed her surprise to the quiet demon. But no fear. Not an ounce of fright was present in her eyes.
 
At a chorus of shouts from behind her Kagome held up her hands, silently telling her friends she was ok. When Inuyasha and Kouga continued coming she quickly subdued them, managing to be heard even with her throat firmly ensnared.
 
Sesshoumaru stared at the girl with cold eyes. “Why would you do something so stupid as to subdue your only means of rescue? If I move my hand half an inch you'll be dead. You do not know me good enough to not fear me.”
 
Kagome smiled softly. She had hit a nerve buried deep inside of Sesshoumaru with what she had said. Which could mean only one thing. She had been right. She raised one hadn and encircled his wrist with it. Her intent was not to try and pull him away, she knew she would never win that battle. No, rather her intent was to comfort, she knew touch went farther than words when it came to reassuring others. With touch the person knew they weren't alone, you could not deny touch like you could words.
 
“I know you well enough to know you wouldn't kill me, or bring me to harm. I trust you Sesshoumaru. I trust you just as I trust Inuyasha, Kouga, and the others. You are a good person. But you seem to be afraid of showing emotions or letting anyone get close. But Sesshoumaru, you have friends whether you want to admit it or not. And let me tell you, friends are the greatest thing in the world. Better than land, riches, or being the strongest around.”
 
When Sesshoumaru's grip loosened Kagome drew his hand away from her throat. She squeezed it tightly between both of hers before dropping it. Reaching out she began undoing the pigtails. Sesshoumaru said nothing, merely stared down at the top of her head in a contemplative silence.
 
As she worked Kagome continued talking. “And the one thing friends do are trust one another. I'd place my life willingly into your's or any of the other's hands and not be afraid. And I know they feel the same. But the question is Sesshoumaru, do you trust us in the same way? Do you trust that we won't stab you in the back when you're unware? You've already proved in our fight with Akki you'd save our lives. Now if you belive we'd save yours then you've got friends.”
 
Kagome unravelled the last of the second pigtail and stepped back from the stony lord. “Think about it Sesshoumaru. It's worth it.”
 
With those final words Sesshoumaru turned his back on Kagome. “I'm going to patrol the surrounding area. Keep going towards the village with the others,” he said in a tight voice. Without waiting for a response he briskly walked off into the woods.
 
As soon as he disappeared deeper into the forest Inuyasha and the others rushed up to her. Kouga promptly drew her against his chest.
 
“Kagome! Why did you subdue me? I could have saved you!”
 
Before Kagome could utter a word Inuyasha ripped Kouga off of her. “Kagome doesn't need your help you damn wolf,” he growled. He then placed one clawed hand beneath Kagome's hcin and lifted her head to peer at her neck. “Did he hurt you Kagome? I swear, I'll kill him if he hurt you. I'll kill him even if he just thought of hurting you.”
 
Especially since I trust that damn guy. Oh shit, did I just say I trust Sesshoumaru? With Kagome? Dear god, what's happening to me?
 
Kagome's eyes twinkled in amusement as she placed her hand on Inuyasha's and removed it from her chin. Without really realizing it Inuyasha's fingers wrapped around Kagome's.
 
AWWW!!! They're so CUTE together!
 
Hm, I wonder if anyone ever gave Inuyasha the `birds and the bees' discussion. Heh, perhaps he would appreciate it if I gave him a few pointers…
 
“Kagome?” asked Inuyasha hesitantly. “Something wrong? You're face just turned red.”
 
She roughly shook her head and dropped Inuyasha's hand. “Uh…No…NO! Nothing is wrong!” She walked up the grinning monk and glared up at him.
 
Miroku raised his eyebrows suggestively at the miko. “Why Kagome, I didn't know. But, I'm sorry.”
 
Now Kagome and the everyone looked confused.
 
“You want me of course. But I wish I would have known that earlier. You see, me and Sango are together now. Hm, but if she doesn't mind we could have a not-so-secret rendes…”
 
“PERVERT!” screamed Kagome and Sango in unison. Sango smacked Miroku on the right while Kagome smacked him in the front. And for added benefit Kouga punched Miroku in the back and Inuyasha hit him on the head with the hilt of tetsusaiga. Needless to say, the monk dropped rather fast.
 
“Damn monk,” fumed Kouga. “How dare he suggest my woman would go with anyone but me.”
 
“Damn hardheaded wolf,” grumbled Inuyasha. “How obvious can it be that Kagome isn't your woman?”
 
But she is mine. On the wall of my cave I wrote `Kagome is my woman.'
 
No one could quite understand why Kagome suddenly broke out in a fit of giggles nor why she gasped out , “is it a curse, or my amusement? I honestly don't know anymore!” When she finally calmed down she straightened back up and acted like nothing strange had just taken place. She was met by four worried faces. “What?” she asked.
 
“Uh,” said Inuyasha logically. “You just…”
 
“Went insane?” offered Kouga.
 
“Crazy,” added Miroku.
 
“Out of control,” finished Sango.
 
Kagome waved them off. “Nah, I'm fine. Come on, let's go. Sesshoumaru is probably way ahead of us by now.” She turned and started walking away. `Please, just let it drop.'
 
“No,” said a stern voice right before a clawed hand wrapped around her upper arm. Kagome's shoulders slumped and she turned to face her friends again.
 
Wow, she looks like she's about to be executed. What on earth is she hiding? And why won't she tell us? I thought we were like sisters, what happened to trust?
 
Kagome turned to Sango, shock in her face. Did Sango actually think she didn't trust her anymore? Did they all think she didn't trust them anymore? Sesshoumaru did say they suspected something, suspected she was hiding something. But had it really gone so far as to affect their trust in her?
 
Yeah, something is definitely wrong with her. She's looking like someone just slapped her. I can't take this mystery any longer.
 
Inuyasha gently tugged on Kagome's arm to bring her attention back to him. Everyone else crowded around him, no one wanted to miss this for anything.
 
I never thought I'd be cheering the puppy on with Kagome, but for once I am. I've got to know what's going on.
 
“Kagome, what is going on?” asked Inuyasha. “And don't you dare say nothing. That's a lie and we all know it. You have not been acting like yourself since, well, Akki's attack. At first we thought you were just scared of dying, but we don't think that's the only reason. You've never been scared of anything before and Akki's a slightly different story, but still…”
 
“You've stared down and fought both Naraku and Sesshoumaru,” continued Miroku. “Even when you knew how quickly they could kill you it didn't stop you. So it's hard to believe Akki could cause such a change in your personality.”
 
“Kag, you know we'd do anything for you,” said Sango. “We want to help, but we can't if you don't tell us what's wrong.”
 
Kagome sighed. “Sesshoumaru's right,” she said softly.
 
“Sesshoumaru?” asked Inuyasha. “What does he have to do with any of this?”
 
I swear, if he's causing you to act like this I'll kill him.
 
“He told me I can't hide forever. And he's right. Hiding only manages to make things worse.”
 
He's to blame. I knew it! Knew we shouldn't have let him join us!
 
A soft growl emanated from Inuyasha's chest. “You stay here,” he commanded. “I've got some business to attend to.”
 
“NO!” shouted Kagome. “Sesshoumaru isn't to blame! He's done nothing but help me! You can't fight him. Please, don't,” she pleaded.
 
Damn the control she has over me.
 
Phew. I was almost certain she would have said that mutt's name. This is too good to interrupt with that damn rosary spell.
 
Inuyasha turned back to Kagome, his eyes narrowed. “If my brother isn't to blame, then why does he know what's going on?” he asked dangerously.
 
“Now is not the time to get in a shouting match,” said a cold voice. “Time is wearing thin so I suggest we get to the village.”
 
Inuyasha faced Sesshoumaru, his hands clenched into fists. “What the hell is going between you and Kagome?” he shouted. “Why do you know something no one else does?”
 
“Jealous dear brother?” smirked Sesshoumaru. “Afraid I've come to take your wench away?”
 
“That's it you bastard,” snarled Inuyasha. “You'll regret ever saying that.” He began charging down his brother.
 
Oh no no no no no. She's going to say it. I know she is.
 
“INUYASHA! SIT!” screamed Kagome.
 
With two successful crashes the clearing grew silent once again.
 
Dammit, she did say his name. For once I wish I would have been wrong.
 
Kagome looked sheepishly towards the subdued wolf who was silenting lamenting his curse. “Uh, sorry about that Kouga,” she apologized. “Just, you know…”
 
“Sometimes you've just got to say it,” grumbled the wolf.
 
Inuyasha growled when two feet appeared on either side of his head.
 
“You know Inuyasha,” said Sesshoumaru, staring at the hanyou's unmoving head, “you truly are pathetic. Are you so insecure to think Kagome would run off on you? I have no intention of `stealing' her. I never have.”
 
“Then why are you two hiding a secret?” growled Inuyasha.
 
Sesshoumaru shrugged. “The only one who can answer that is Kagome. I have suggested many times that she tell you. But she hasn't been very cooperative.”
 
Inuyasha climbed to his feet and glared at Kagome. “You will us. Now. Or is there some reason you only want Sesshoumaru to know?” he asked in gruff voice, attempting to cover the hurt in his voice.
 
She does like me…right?
 
Kagome sighed. “Inuyasha, I didn't tell your brother anything. He figured it out on his own. And Kaede also knows because I told her.”
 
It. It. It. It. Quit saying it!
 
“What is `it'?” exploded Kouga when he couldn't contain his curiousity any longer.
 
Kagome couldn't help but laugh at the disgruntled wolf. “Um, how about this. I'll tell you guys what's going on when we get to the village.”
 
Miroku saw Inuyasha getting ready to object so he quickly stepped in. “That is a good idea. Perhaps it will give some people a chance to calm down,” he said, giving Inuyasha a pointed glare.
 
Crossing his arms Inuyasha stalked off.
 
“Yeah,” said Kagome in a defeated voice before turning to also leave. She looked up when a shadow fell upon her. The towering figure of the demon lord looked down on her. “I hope you're right Sesshoumaru,” she whispered. “I hope it will help if I tell them.”
 
If you don't believe me than don't say anything. It's as simple as that.
 
Shaking her head Kagome said, “no, it's too late to turn back now. Besides, like I said before, you're my friend. I trust you.”
 
oOoOoOoOoOo
 
Sango tighterned her hand around the hilt of her katana as she stepped into her village. It still hurt to come back her. It would always hurt.
 
Miroku drew her into a one armed hug to offer as much comfort as he could give. Sango willingly took it.
 
Damn Naraku picking this place. Making Sango fight on the graves of her people. He'll die. By god he'll pay for doing this.
 
Inuyasha looked back to see everyone else enter the village. He growled softly when he saw Sesshoumaru and Kagome walk in side by side. He walked up to them. “Now you'll tell us,” he demanded.
 
I want to hear! I want to hear!
 
Kouga rushed up and stared at Kagome like a hungry puppy. Miroku and Sango also walked closer, neither wanted to miss out and what Kagome was about to tell them.
 
Kagome wrung her hands together worriedly. She looked at each of her friends in turn, stopped at Sesshoumaru. At his curt nod she sighed.
 
“Well?” said Inuyasha impatiently.
 
“You guys sure you want to know?”
 
“YES!” shouted Kouga, managing to drown out everyone else's affirmations.
 
“Well, if you really want to know…”
 
Just spit it out already. They won't kill you.
 
Kagome rolled her eyes at the dog demon then grinned cheerfully at the others. “Well, when Akki attacked me the first time I got a new ability.”
 
“Which is?” prompted Miroku.
 
“I can read minds.”
 
Everyone grew deathly silent as the words worked their way into their brains. When her words finally sunk into Inuyasha's mind he did something he had never done before. And something he wished to never repeat.
 
He fainted.