InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mind Reader ❯ The Final Struggle ( Chapter 37 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mind Reader
 
Chapter 34: The Final Struggle
 
oOoOoOoOoOo
 
It was silent. For what could be said? When your biggest enemy, the one who strikes fear even within those who fight, suddenly perishes, what is there that can be said?
 
A simple `congratulations' to that who finally killed Naraku would not be deemed appropriate. For the one who finally rid them of the abomination also took one of their own. A trade-off if you will, Naraku for Kagome. But ask any of the three still standing warriors and each would say the same. They would rather fight Naraku a thousand times over then lose their young miko.
 
For even Sesshoumaru had been fully ensnared by the persona that was Kagome. In the beginning he would not have thought twice about leaving her for death. In truth, he would have killed her without a seconds glance before this adventure began. But now…no, the great and stoic demon lord could not bear to think of the gentle and loving girl of being dead. She gave him a chance. When no one else would have given him a chance she did. She was the only one, aside from Sango to a slight extent, who trusted him enough to actually joke around with him. It was incredible. But it was the first time in his long life in which he had an individual completely and utterly trust in him. Yes, he had Rin…but Rin was naught but a child. He took her in and protected her; any child would have begun to trust him without knowing differently. But Kagome knew how bloodthirsty he was, knew he used to live solely to spill others blood. Yet she trusted him nonetheless. And now the girl was dead? No, it was unthinkable. Yet…true?
 
And then there were the other fallen: Kouga and Miroku. The monk had taken in an incredible amount of poisoned wasps. Was there even the slightest chance of his survival? And then there was the wolf.
 
Inuyasha looked to his fallen comrade with newfound respect. To the end Kouga had fought with all his strength, all his willpower, all his loyalty to Kagome. He had fallen helping the man he lost Kagome to. Inuyasha could plainly see the battered and broken body of the wolf prince. The strong demon was drenched in his own blood, bones were broken, the side of his face was smashed, holes in his body where tentacles were ruthlessly plunged through. He was crushed; there was no mistaking it. Kouga was dead.
 
Inuyasha silently asked for Kouga's forgiveness. If only had had been able to reach Naraku sooner the wolf just might still be alive. But now…not a single breath stole out of the wolf's lips.
 
Feeling his heart tightening, Inuyasha averted his gaze from Kouga's body. He would honor his selfless friend later. But at the moment he had slightly more important matters to attend to.
 
At long last dropping his sword, Inuyasha took a few uneasy steps towards Kagome. His balanced faltered for a moment, stumbling, Inuyasha righted himself. Swallowing bile that had risen in this throat, he took a few more steps. As he drew closer to the miko his speed quickened until he was nearly running. Upon reaching her dropped to his knees.
 
Reaching out a tentative hand, Inuyasha placed it on Kagome's forehead. Rubbing a clawed thumb across it, he slowly traced her face down to her lips. Resting his thumb against them, he waited.
 
He didn't have to wait long. A quick breath against his thumb told him one thing.
 
“She's alive,” he said in disbelief. Then, “She's alive!” he called out to Sango and his brother in barely contained relief.
 
Sango had to see for herself. Holding her still bleeding stomach from where Kohaku had harmed her, she made her way to her sister. Dropping heavily beside Inuyasha she took one of Kagome's heads within her own. “Alive,” she breathed.
 
Gathering Kagome in his arms, Inuyasha sat back and began to imperceptibly rock her back and forth. Breathing in the rich scent of her hair he felt a slight trickle leave his eyes. He was crying. So what. Kagome was alive.
 
Sango raised her eyes from Kagome when a shadow fell across her. Looking up, she saw Sesshoumaru standing before her. He had the monk held loosely in his arms.
 
As a strangled sob left her throat Sango jumped up and placed shaky hands on Miroku's chest. A heartbeat. She looked at Sesshoumaru, the question plainly evident in her eyes.
 
Sesshoumaru held her gaze even as he quietly knelt and placed the monk on the ground. Sango's eyes fell to the glistening hilt of Tenseiga. Fresh blood was coating the handle. Realization dawned on her when she saw the bloodied palms of Sesshoumaru. “Thank you,” she whispered.
 
Rising to his feet Sesshoumaru nodded before walking away.
 
Kneeling beside Miroku, Sango bent over his body. Grasping his head between both her hands she lowered her head and brushed her lips against his unresponsive ones. Just this once. Just this once she would crave the man groping her. Would welcome it with eager arms. True, Sesshoumaru brought him back. But Tenseiga couldn't eradicate all traces of the wasps' poison. There was still the chance too much was left and her monk could die. If that happened then no matter how many times Sesshoumaru swung his sword Miroku wouldn't come back.
 
When the now familiar shadow once again passed over her, Sango looked up. Her eyes looked stricken. “Ko…ha…ku?” she stammered. “But…I thought…?”
 
“Poisoned,” answered Sesshoumaru. “I did not kill him. An antidote can be made for him if we get back to Kaede's in time.” Kneeling down, Sesshoumaru placed Kohaku on the ground beside Miroku. Now there was just one more to take care of. Hopefully he still had enough energy to make Tenseiga answer to his will.
 
Sango watched as Sesshoumaru walked over to the wolf prince. He withdrew his sword and began slashing at unknown beings before him. Many times he came dangerously close to cutting Kouga but never once did he falter.
 
Regaining her footing, Sango joined the demon lord when she saw him begin to sweat profusely. “What's wrong?” she asked upon reaching him.
 
“Too many,” answered Sesshoumaru. “I'm too weak,” he added bluntly. His eyesight began to darken around the edges even as he struck the demons wrestling with Kouga's life with newfound fervor. He couldn't fail. It was unallowable. Naraku died. No one else was supposed to die. No one. He finally found those he could trust. He would not lose one now. He wouldn't.
 
Tenseiga began to hum loudly and then with a very discernible jump it burst into light. Sesshoumaru almost dropped the sword in his shock but managed to tighten his grip and hold on. Narrowing his eyes he gave as much of his own remaining energy he dared to his sword. Then with one strong downward swing he brought down Tenseiga. This time he made contact with Kouga's chest. But rather than Tenseiga piercing flesh, the sword bathed Kouga's body in a soft glow.
 
The demon's covered their eyes from the light and jumped back from the shield protecting the wolf demon. With one final glare towards the demon lord, they demon's vanished.
 
And Kouga gave a lurching gasp.
 
As Sango watched specks of blood tainted the wolf's lips. He was having a difficult time with the simple concept of breathing.
 
For much like Miroku, Kouga was not saved. He was merely given a slight reprieve from death. If the wolf prince truly wished to experience life again, true life, not this fake imitation of it, he needed help. Immediately. For if he did not receive this much needed assistance he would never experience anything besides pain for the rest of his days. Death did not enjoy being cheated out of a life. Especially one so firmly in its grasp as Kouga's was. Death would show its anger through Kouga's pain, his cries, his tears; it would gain its final revenge when Kouga pled for death.
 
Sesshoumaru sagged to one knee. He was spent. Completely and utterly spent. Everything he had left went into bringing Miroku and Kouga back. Yet if they didn't get those two help all his exertion would mean nothing. They would still die. This time it was Sesshoumaru the shadow fell across. He looked up.
 
Inuyasha stood before him, the unconscious form of Kagome held gently within his arms. His brother shifted Kagome to one arm to offer his newly freed one to Sesshoumaru.
 
One part of him reviled the thought of his hanyou brother offering him help. After all, he was the demon, he was lord of the western lands, and he did not need help from a lowly hanyou. His filthy half-brother no less. It wished to sneer at Inuyasha, ridicule his weak brother for not even being able to kill one simple hanyou. It wished to rip the pathetic human girl from his grasp and stamp out what little life she had left. Humans, they were weak, they were pathetic, they were nothing but dirt, not even fit to be stepped upon.
 
Sesshoumaru grasped Inuyasha's hand and allowed himself to be brought back to his feet. That part of him was dead. His brother proved his worth. Kagome proved her worth. The monk and wolf went so far as to die to prove their worth. Sango was stabbed in the stomach by her brother and had continued fighting. She had proved her worth.
 
Sesshoumaru was weak. He had been beat down, could barely stand, and yet no one laughed. No one scorned him because he was a full demon and yet he was still brought close to death. He finally knew it, his heart finally closed the matter. He had friends.
 
xXxXxXxXx
 
The next couple of days were nothing but a blue for the three struggling comrades. There were three of them still conscious: Sesshoumaru, Inuyasha, and Sango. All were weak, all were tired, and all wanted nothing more than to collapse into the blissful state of sleep.
 
Yet they were carrying four others with them: Kagome, Kouga, Miroku, and Kohaku.
 
Sango could only manage to carry Kohaku. She had bandaged her stomach as best she could, but it hurt, oh god, how it hurt. It hurt to breathe, to stand, to walk. And she was trying to carry both Hiraikotsu and her brother. Most of the time she was walking in a daze. The daze of a person who had pushed all conscious thought to the back of their mind so the immense pain would not destroy them.
 
She tried to keep her brother from dragging on the ground. So tried, she tried so hard. But with her boomerang on her back she had no choice but to either cradle him in her arms or hold him around the waist and drag his feet.
 
He was too big to be cradled. And even if he weren't her wounded stomach wouldn't have allowed something to be set against it. So she had no choice. One of his arms was slung over her shoulders, one of her arms wound around his waist. She slouched. His feet dragged. She cried.
 
The demon brothers cared for the other three. Kagome stayed in Inuyasha's gentle hold the whole time. He kept his precious cargo bundled protectively against his chest. He wouldn't allow anymore harm to befall her. Not while he still stood.
 
Kouga remained in Sesshoumaru's hold. His injuries were grievous; to treat him roughly would have led to certain death. So Sesshoumaru kept the wolf prince cradled to his chest. Sesshoumaru was too tired to be embarrassed. A demon lord, carrying a wolf prince as if he were naught but a sick child to be cared for. It was a scene to be laughed upon, spit upon, yet Sesshoumaru was too tired to care.
 
The brothers traded off Miroku. The monk was continuously shifted from Sesshoumaru's back to Inuyasha's back, and then returning to the demon lord. When one would tire they would stop to trade off. It was vicious cycle for neither could really handle the added strain. Times between the switches began to shorten. Soon their entire pace slowed.
 
Sango couldn't stop. She couldn't stop the fall that was occurring. Collapsing to her knees she could not stop herself from releasing Kohaku. Her brother dropped to the ground in the heap. She had dropped her brother.
 
“Kohaku,” she sobbed, “I'm sorry. I didn't mean to. I didn't want to. I…it's just too much. Too much…”
 
Sesshoumaru looked to his brother. Inuyasha had knelt to the ground by Sango to slide the monk off his back. He placed Kagome on the ground.
 
“Sango,” he spoke softly.
 
Sango wasted no time in flinging her arms around Inuyasha's waist and burying her face in his chest.
 
Inuyasha gently unhooked Hiraikotsu from Sango's back and slid the giant boomerang to the ground. When he wrapped his own arms around her he was dismayed to find that she was bleeding. In fact, her back was one solid coat of blood. It was too much pain for a human to handle, even one so strong as Sango. But she had been trying so hard to be strong; she had been trying so hard to keep up a demon and a hanyou. Sango knew the lives of her friends were at stake. She would push herself to the brink of death, and even over it, if she could help save them.
 
Inuyasha cautiously tightened his arms as much as he dared around the distraught girl. He wasn't used to offering comfort. Yet this whole trip had brought out different aspects of each person's personality. Most unusual of all was his brother. Yes, his brother had been acting civil to them for quite some time now. But now, now he was almost acting like he cared.
 
Inuyasha's belief about his brother was further intensified when he put Kouga on the ground and stood back up.
 
“It would be wise to rest here for awhile,” stated Sesshoumaru. “We cannot afford to push ourselves too hard.”
 
Inuyasha's eyes followed his brother as he disappeared into the surrounding woods. A few minutes later he came back, bearing a few rabbits.
 
Without a word Sesshoumaru built a fire and set to preparing the meat. Dusk was fast approaching and it would be nice to have some light as well as cooked meat.
 
“We must bandage your wounds,” said Sesshoumaru as he turned the meat over the fire. “You cannot afford to lose any more blood.”
 
Pushing herself out of Inuyasha's hold, Sango nodded. “We have no bandages though,” she thought to say. She had cut off the middle part of demon exterminator's clothing as well as the arms of it to bandage her stomach the first time. But there was nothing left to be cut off that could function as a bandage.
 
Without a word Sesshoumaru untied the sash from his waist and passed it off to Sango. He placed his swords behind him, as now he had nothing to hold them with.
 
“Thank you,” said Sango gratefully. After the demon lord's curt nod Sango gingerly rose to her feet and disappeared into the surrounding woods. She returned ten minutes later, still looking hurt and tired, but at least the bleeding was being contained. Hopefully it would stop entirely.
 
A few minutes later the meat was done and Sesshoumaru doled it out. They ate in silence then once finished with their portions they went about trying to coax food down their unconscious friend's throats.
 
“Water?” asked Sango.
 
Sesshoumaru shook his head. “There is none close to here. I am sorry.”
 
Shrugging hers shoulders, Sango smoother the hair out of Miroku's eyes. Water would have been most welcomed, but she could wait until tomorrow.
 
“Now rest,” commanded Sesshoumaru. “We must not linger long.”
 
Not one to argue, Sango laid against the monk's still side and soon drifted off to sleep.
 
“We must watch her,” said Sesshoumaru. “She will push herself into death if we let her.”
 
Inuyasha met Sesshoumaru's gaze and nodded. Then reaching out a tentative hand he hesitantly placed it on Sango's stomach. When she didn't wake he grew bolder he lifted her torn clothing to reveal the bloodied bandage. Quickly lifting it, he stared at her wound, Sesshoumaru moving so he could also peer at it.
 
Once again Inuyasha felt bile rise up in his throat. “She shouldn't,” he groaned. “She shouldn't…she's going to kill herself,” he finished in agony. Up until this point he never fully realized how much Sango's death would affect him. Sure, he trusted her, he looked after her, but he never fully appreciated just what she brought to the group. Inner strength, she was severely wounded yet she fought Naraku. Unwavering loyalty, Kohaku had been under Naraku's control for so long and yet she refused to give up on him. Selflessness, she was about to walk herself into death to save her friends. A friend, a sister, a role model for Kagome. And Inuyasha just realized how important she was at this point.
 
He never realized how bad her wound was until this point. But what he saw…never would he have dreamed Sango would be capable of moving with this wound. And here she was, walking, and carrying her brother no less.
 
It still oozed blood. It would always ooze blood. Unless if Kaede could help her in time Sango would bleed to death. The wound was a jagged circle, jagged from a sickle being ruthlessly forced in by Kohaku and then pulled out by Sango herself. It was in the dead center of her abdomen, the wound plunged through muscles sorely needed for any movement whatsoever. These muscles were destroyed, cut off from each other; they were unable to fully function to help Sango. And blood was supposed to be red, was it not? Yet her wound was black. Black, the color of despair, of ravaging pain, of death. If he wished to Inuyasha could have probed three of his fingers easily into her wound. He did nothing other than tightly replacing the bandage and lower her shirt.
 
“I…I…We can't linger here,” was finally drawn from Inuyasha. “We need Kaede. We need help.”
 
“We have no help,” whispered Sesshoumaru into the fire.
 
And finally, finally, Inuyasha drew his knees up to his chest and buried his face in his arms.
 
Sesshoumaru could see Inuyasha's shaking shoulders and knew his brother was silently crying. He internally wondered if it was worth it. If all this pain and agony and anguish was really worth the life of one terrible hanyou. They could have stayed one stop ahead of Naraku and Akki rather then chasing after them.
 
Sesshoumaru clenched his fists and shook those thoughts from his mind. There was no choice. There never had been a choice. Once Kagome and Akki became inextricably linked their fates had been tied. But if Sesshoumaru didn't seek them out he would never have become involved.
 
Did he regret his decision? Did he truly regret coming across the fallen squirrel in that clearing so long ago? He looked towards his brother, still silently grieving even within the presence of his demon brother. His eyes slowly roved the makeshift camp, stopping at each figure as they came across it.
 
No, no he did not regret his choice. Trust was something hard earned. He trusted them, they trusted him. He would have it no other way.
 
Long into the night Sesshoumaru kept his silent vigilance. He monitored the others to be sure no one's health dropped too much. His brother finally drifted off to sleep, holding the body of the miko close to his chest. Sesshoumaru stared at the dying flames. No, his friends would not flicker out like this fire. He would see to it himself..
 
xXxXxXx
 
The remainder of the trip was that of those who knew death waited if they ever gave up. When one would falter another would be there to pick them up again.
 
It was on the second day that the great demon lord finally fell.
 
They had been walking like they always had. Sango was now only carrying her boomerang and Sesshoumaru's swords. Sesshoumaru had Kouga and Kohaku.
 
She was following him when he fell. One step he was fine, the next he laid on the ground, both Kouga and Kohaku laying beside him.
 
Sango released a strangled cry and rushed to his side. Inuyasha reached them a second later and helped Sango roll the dog demon over.
 
Sesshoumaru's brow glistened with sweat and his breath hitched. His chest stopped moving.
 
Panicking, Inuyasha leaned Sesshoumaru against him and pounded on his back. “Breathe Sesshoumaru! Dammit, breathe you big coward! You can't let your weak hanyou brother outlive you, can you?”
 
With a shudder Sesshoumaru took a breath. And another. His breathing was erratic at best, but he was breathing.
 
Both Inuyasha and Sango let out identical sighs of relief.
 
“You ungrateful ass. That was entirely uncalled for,” griped Inuyasha while laying Sesshoumaru back on the ground. “I don't like feeling worried about you. Make sure it never happens again.”
 
“I'll be sure to keep that in mind next time my body feels like giving up.”
 
Inuyasha almost jumped and ran. “You…you're awake?”
 
Smirking weakly, Sesshoumaru carefully sat back up. “Sorry to disappoint.”
 
Sputtering indignantly, Inuyasha said, “But you weren't even breathing! How can you be awake already? Well shit, forget that. What the hell happened?”
 
“Akki's attack must have done more damage than I originally thought,” answered Sesshoumaru heavily. “Apparently him pushing that much energy through me tore apart my insides more than I thought it could. We have no more time to waste. I'm failing. I don't know how much longer I can keep this going.” Pulling Kohaku's arms around his neck and lifting Kouga back into his arms, he stood up. “Let's go.”
 
Without waiting for any objections, Sesshoumaru continued walking.
 
Inuyasha gazed after his brother as gathered Kagome and Miroku and stood up as well. It seemed Sango wasn't the only one pushing themselves to the death to save the others.
 
xXxXxXxX
 
The next day they finally caught sight of Kaede's village. The trip took five days when before it had only taken two. It was amazing all were still alive.
 
Inuyasha was truly the only one in a relatively stable condition. And that wasn't saying much as he had a hole in his abdomen and several other major wounds. But his demon blood kept him going.
 
The group laboriously made their way into the village. Kaede's hut had fallen so they did not know where to go to find the elderly healer.
 
Kaede was tending to a sick child with Rin aiding her when Shippo flew up to her.
 
“Kaede!” he cried frantically, “They've returned!” Shippo didn't have time to say there were injuries before Kaede abruptly stood up and stalked away. She ignored the kitsune's frantic pleas as she grumbled under her breath.
 
“That ungrateful demon is going to pay for what he did. Destroys my home, takes off, and then comes back! How dare he! Not even a word before he left. He's going to build me a new home, oh yes, I'll see to it that…”
 
Kaede's angry tirade broke off when she caught sight of the returning fighters. All of them looked like death warmed over.
 
When Sesshoumaru caught her eyes with his emotionless face she gasped. It wasn't his normal emotionless face, no, this one was completely dead.
 
Sesshoumaru looked at Kaede and then to the crumbled remains of her hut. “Sorry,” he whispered before finally giving in to the darkness and collapsing to the ground.
 
And when the piercing cry of “Sesshoumaru-sama!” broke the air Kaede lost all anger she held for the demon lord.
 
`Let him be alive,' she silently begged. When she saw Sango shivering where she stood, Kohaku and Kouga still on the ground from where Sesshoumaru dropped them, Kagome pale in Inuyasha's arms, Miroku barely breathing, and Inuyasha with a hole in his stomach and one eye barely opened, she ran as fast as she could to them. `Oh God, let them all be alive.'