InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mistletoe ❯ Mistletoe ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Mistletoe

" Where are you going Kagome?" asked Inuyasha rather briskly. Kagome turned before reaching the lip of the well. She looked at him in the face. As usual there was a scowl on his face, but hidden beneath, his honest concern for her. The eyes gave it away.
Kagome sighed." I'm going to my time for a few days, that's all."
Inuyasha crossed his arms across his chest. As usual, he displayed his usual suspision. Kagome rolled her eyes and climbed onto the lip of the well to jump down.
" I'll see you in a few days," she waved. Just as she was about to jump, a strong hand gripped her arm, holding her in place. She turned to Inuyasha, the only perpitraitor. " What is it?"
A faint blush graced his cheeks." Are you mad at me?"
Kagome stumbled in shock, nearly flinging herself down the well. With a yelp, Inuyasha grabbed her before she fell all the way down. He placed her firmly on the ground next to him.
" Be more careful, why don't ya!" he yelled, but the flush on his face only grew in embarassment. She stared at his red face. Why did he think she was mad at him? Why did he ask too? Inuyasha always let her go with a huge misunderstanding before, but today he actually asked her if he was to blame, eventhough there was nothing wrong. That was so sweet of him! At that thought, Kagome flung her arms around Inuyasha's neck in a friendly hug.
He blushed from his head to his toes, but didn't move at all. Kagome laughed. " Of course I'm not mad at you, silly." Kagome looked up at him again, seeing his face receed to pink. Now, he wrapped his arms around her waist, with friendly affection.
" Then why are you going? You only got here two days ago," he asked. Kagome smiled.
" It's nearly Christmas, that's why Inuyasha," she answered his question. She saw his eyes mist with confusion.
" What the hell is Christmas?"
" Christmas is a major holiday in my time." When Inuyasha continued to look at her as if she had two heads, she sighed and sat on the well. Inuyasha tucked his hands into his large sleeves before she went on. The air was getting very brisk already, and last night there had been a light snow. Kagome continued. " Christmas comes one day a year, on December 25. On that day, according to Christian religion, was the day God, Christ was his name, was born. So, on Christmas everyone celibrates the birth of Christ."
" What is a Christian? And there is more than one God, Kagome."
" You're not getting the point Inuyasha," she said, then he glared at her." On Christmas, families get together to spend time with each other. They buy each other gifts and set up decorations, and sing carols, and bake cookies, and cook a huge turkey dinner and-"
" OK! I get the point!" he huffed, then turned away from her. " You want to spend time with your family. I understand."
Inuyasha... Kagome thought. He had no one to spend Christmas with. Except with Shippo and the others but they had no idea of Christmas. Well, maybe Miroku, but that didn't account to much of a party. Inuyasha had no family but her and the others....Then it hit her.
" Inuyasha!!" she screamed. He jumped maybe a foot in the air at her scream and turned around to glare feircly at her.
" What the hell was that for???!!!"
Kagome jumped up and grabbed his arm, dragging him to the well.
" What the hell are you doing?!" he asked as she climbed up on the lip and dragged him with her.
" I want you to come with me, okay?" she asked. He looked at her suspisiously.
" What for?" Kagome rolled her eyes.
" Just trust me, okay?!" He still eyed her, but wrapped an arm around her waist and joined her. They jumped into the well, and through time.....


" I don't see any problem with it," said Kagome's mother as she sipped her tea at the kitchen table. Kagome gave her a huge hug, nearly spilling the tea all over.
" Oh thank you Mom!" she cried. Then Kagome gathered her thoughts about what to do. She had asked her Mom if she could spend Christmas with Inuyasha and the gang, and she had said yes. " I have alot of planning to do, and I have to get presents for everyone, including you guys here and.....OH NO!!!!"
" What is it Kagome?" asked her mother concerned. Kagome slumped on the table, resting her forehead against the smooth surface.
" I'm poor. I have no money to get anybody gifts," sighed Kagome wearily." With being in the Warring States Era all the time, I didn't get a job at all this year so I don't have any money saved up."
" Is that all dear?" laughed her mother." I thought it was some other kind of crisis."
" What do you mean?" asked Kagome.
" Come on dear, and get your coat. You and I are going to go shopping." Kagome's eyes lit up as she had thought, but instead of her earlier enthusiastic hug, Kagome rose and gave her a warm hug.
" I love you Mom," she said softly. Her mother wrapped her arms around her, and rubbed her back.
" I love you too, Kagome." After a moment of tender silence, they broke apart." Come on, let's go dear."
" Okay. Oh! I have to tell Inuyasha were we're going." But before she turned to walk upstairs, where the boys were searching for Christmas decorations, her Mom grabbed her arm.
" I'll go tell the boys Kagome, I need something upstairs. I'll be right down."
" Okay." And with that, Kagome went to find her winter jacket and her Mother went up to tell the boys about their plans, but Kagome's Mom also had a plan of her own.

" Ah, this should be it boys," said Grandpa in his creaky old voice. He pulled over an ancient trunk that must have weighed as much as Inuyasha.
" Want me to do it old man?" asked Inuyasha but was rewarded with a smack on the head." Hey!!"
" You respect your elders!" huffed Grandpa, but turned to Sota who was snickering." You too, my boy! Or you will get nothing but coal in your stocking!"
" EEP," and with that Sota stopped the laughter. Inuyasha looked at Sota confused.
" What does coal have to do with Christmas?" he asked, still rubbed his head where Grandpa had smacked him.
" You don't know about Santa?" asked Sota with wonder.
" I just learned about Christmas today!"
" Oh, so you don't know..."
" Well tell me!!!!" yelled Inuyasha.
" Now, now Inuyasha," said Grandpa, as he patted Inuyasha's shoulder to calm him." Santa Claus is a jolly old man, who lives at the north pole. He spends all year with his elves in his workshop making toys. On Christmas Eve, the night before Cristmas day, he goes around the world delivering the toys to all the good children. But the naughty children get a lump of coal instead of toys for Christmas, because they were bad."
Inuyasha looked at him strangely as he told the story." How does he get around the world in one night? That's impossilbe."
" No it's not!" said Sota. Inuyasha directed his attention to Sota, as Grandpa opened the trunk.
" Then how, wiseguy?" asked Inuyasha.
" Santa has these special reindeer that can fly," he went on." So, Santa just reins them to his sleigh and flies around the world."
Inuyasha looked at him with disbeilief." No way."
" It's true! " cried Sota. Inuyasha stuck his tounge out at him.
"Maybe you buy into that but not me," he said.
" I'm so sure," muttered Sota under his breath.
"What was that?" asked Inuyasha threateningly. Sota covered his head.
" That's enough boys," interluded Grandpa." Get over here and help me sort through these decorations."
The boys complied and soon they were half-way through all the garland and the beads. That's when Kagome's Mom walked up the stairs into the attic. Inuyasha's sensitive ears and nose knew she was watching them from the landing. He was the first to turn and greet her.
" Hello," he said politely. She smiled demurely, and that when he noticed something in her hand. It was some kind of thin, rope. It was shiny and had ticks on it, as if it were for measuring something. Inuyasha looked up to her face, and didn't like that glint to her eyes. She caught on to his train of thought and with a quickness that even surprized him, she was in his face.
" Inuyasha," she said calmly. He inched back a bit.
" What are you doing?" he asked as she took the rope between the both of her hands and snapped it.
" I need you to come here," she smiled again, so demurely it caught him off guard. Then she took the rope and measured across the expance of his shoulders, his arms, then his waist.
" HEY!" he cried, and jumped when she measured his leg.
" Hold still now, I'm just measuring," she said sternly. And just as quickly as she was up here, she was at the stairs again. Inuyasha just stared at her, his golden eyes wide with alarm. She addressed Sota and Grandpa.
" Kagome and I are going shopping, so we'll be back in a few hours," then she turned to Inuyasha." There's some ramen in the cupboard if you get hungry Inuyasha. So, help yourself." She started down the stairs." Behave now boys."
For some odd reason, Inuyasha felt as if he were just used. Used and abused. He turned and put on a wobbly smile, then continued to argue with Sota.


Kagome didn't know how much she missed modern times, until she was shopping. It would have been so much fun if she could've brung Sango with her. She needed some girly companionship, but shopping with her Mother was just as fun. And it was so nice to spend time with her after so long. Kagome didn't know how much she missed her family until she was with them either. It was nice to sit down in the middle of the hustle and bustle, and have a cup of hot cocoa with her Mom. Her mother sighed deeply into her cup, and smiled.
" Who's next on your list, Kagome?" she asked. Kagome closed her eyes and concentrated.
Let' see....for Shippo they got a stuffed fox and dog, as well as some jacks and tiny games. For Sango, they had gone to the sports outlet and got a wrist brace, and then went to a trinket store and bought her some really nice braclets. Miroku was a tough one, so they got him some cologne and a pair of really cool sunglasses. Lady Kaede was easy, they got her some modern remedies to help her in her work with the villagers, and a book on the different remedies too. But for her specifically, Kagome bought her a pair of big flanel pyjamas. In a pretty pink colour. Kagome and her Mother had even got things for her friends from this time. They even got Hojo something as much as Kagome didn't want to. Her Mom said it would have been rude not to, as he was always calling to check on her.
Kagome blushed and thought of the one person that they hadn't gotten anything for. Inuyasha. Kagome had no idea what to get him at all. They didn't get him something simple like colonge, because Kagome reminded her Mom that he had a sensitive nose. They couldn't get him anything modern, like a handheld game as he would probably destroy it on the spot. Kagome didn't want to get him more ramen. She knew it was his favourite, but she wanted to get him something special. This was going to be their first Christmas together, well Inuyasha's first Christmas as it was anyway, but Kagome wanted to get him something meaningful.
" Well, who's left dear?" asked her Mother again." Kagome, your hot chocolate is getting cold."
Kagome looked up in a delayed reaction. Then blushed into her cup." Sorry Mom."
" That's okay dear," she smiled." Well, who's left?"
" Inuyasha is the last on my list," Kagome mumbled. Her Mother smiled at her gently. It was so funny, Kagome thought. She must be the luckiest girl in the whole world. Her Mom was the most loving, generous and understanding Mother in the whole world. She seemed to know everything, the correct answer to Kagome's every question.
" Well, I've been thinking of something to get for him since this morning," she said taking another sip out of her cup.
Kagome looked up at her Mom. She did know everything and could apperently read her mind as well. She was so amazing." What's your idea Mom?"
" Well, I was thinking. Inuyasha doesn't get to go out with you when you go downtown when you come home. But then I thought, it wasn't just the fact of his attitude towards modern things, but his appereance. Not his hair mind you, as there are many people with wilder hair color than Inuyasha, but his clothes. He can't possibly walk around dressed in his regular clothes, or people would think he was some kind of convention reject."
Kagome almost snorted her hot chocolate through her nose at that last statement. Convention reject? It was so true, it was amazingly funny. Kagome swallowed the mouthfull of hot chocolate in her mouth, and then proceeded to laugh her head off. Her Mother smiled and chuckled slightly. When Kagome rubbed her eyes and settled down some she looked at her Mom. She was amazing." I'm sorry Mom, but I didn't get the point to that. What about his clothes?"
" I think he needs some modern ones for Christmas," she said putting down her cup and slipping on her jacket. She put the tip on the table and proceeded to the door." Are you coming or not Kagome?"
Kagome sat shocked at the idea. It was great, and Inuyasha might actually like it. Kagome knew she would like to see Inuyasha in modern clothes. She was sure he'd look way better in them than any guy she knew. At that thought she flushed from head to foot, then pushed on her coat and rushed to catch up to her Mom.

They walked into a men's boutique. Kagome looked around, admiring all the clothes. They were all for men of course, but she could still apprieciate them. There were formal and snazzy suits on too thin maniquins. There was slacks and jeans, and there was cashmiere and fleece sweaters. There was also jackets that hung in the back, accompanied by scarfs and fine leather gloves.
Kagome turned to her mother that was admiring a pin-striped suit jacket. That would look pretty good on Miroku, Kagome thought before she caught herself. She rushed over to her Mother." Mom, this place is way too expensive!"
" Don't be silly, Kagome," she smiled. She then walked over to the clerk behind the counter.
" Mom!" Kagome whispered urgently.
" Hello," she talked to the clerk. " I'm looking for casual wear, for my daughter's boyfriend."
" MOM!" Kagome whispered very loudly, her face growing a very becoming deep pink colour.
" Please, follow me," the clerk said kindly. She let them over to the casual section of the boutique. The clerk looked behind them and didn't see a young man with them. She smiled kindly." I'm assuming this is a gift for Christmas?"
" Yes," answered her Mother. Kagome just stood behind her.
Kagome was thinking, Inuyasha isn't my boyfriend! Inuyasha isn't my boyfriend! Don't believe her! Inuyasha isn't my boyfriend!
The clerk turned to her Mother," Now, what are you looking for? We just got in some nice polar fleece sweaters."
" That'd be nice," she answered. After looking at them, she dug out a nice red sweater." Kagome, don't you think he'll like this shade of red?"
Kagome looked at the sweater. It was the right shade of red." Yes, that's perfect."
Her Mother turned to the clerk." We'll take this and I'd like to take a look at your jeans. Do you have that trendy bootcut design?"
" Yes, this way..."

After an hour at the boutique, Kagome and her Mom decided it was time to go home. It was starting to snow on their way there. Kagome looked at the bags from the boutique. They had gotten that red fleece sweater, a pair of jeans, two white button-up shirts, and a pair of cashmiere socks. On the way, they had stopped at a sport's store because her mother had seen a red baseball cap. In the sport's store, when Kagome wasn't looking, she had also bought some boxers for Inuyasha as well.
" Mom...what if those clothes don't fit?" asked Kagome neverously. Her Mother shook her head.
" Don't worry, they will Kagome."
" Okay," sighed Kagome. They walked up the steps to the shrine. When they reached the top, their breath was taken away. The boys not only shoveled and salted the walk, but they had made a row of snowmen. It was endearing as some snowmen were bigger than others, and there was an area of snow that was crowded with footprints, signalling a snowball fight. They walked into the house and saw Sota asleep on the floor in his pyjama's, Buyo at his side and Grandpa sitting in his chair reading his newspaper, with a steaming mug of tea. There was garland hung on the doorframes, bows and holly strung throughout it, and there were paper chains hanging from the ceiling as well. There was a pointsetta on the coffetable and all the other ornaments were placed neatly in a box in the corner, awaiting to be placed on the tree. Kagome was so happy. She was home with her family at Christmas, but when she remembered that she was going to spend Christmas with the others, she didn't feel sad. She wanted to share the joy and happiness that Christmas spread over her heart. She looked around, for Inuyasha.
" Grandpa, where's Inuyasha?" she asked. He looked up from his paper and smiled at them.
" He was in the kitchen last I saw him," he answered.
" Thanks Gramps," but before she went into the kitchen her mother stopped her.
" Kagome, give me the presents," she said gentally." I'm going upstairs to wrap them in my room, so you just go and spend some time with Inuyasha."
" Okay...do you need help taking them upsatirs?"
" No, I'm fine dear."
" Alright." Kagome gave her Mom the bags that were in her arms and then bounced into the kitchen. There was garland around that doorway too, but there was also a ball of mistletoe hanging above her. She smiled and tugged a sprig off. She had to take that with her. Kagome smiled, Miroku would love to have some mistletoe hanging in his doorway. That's when she saw him.
Inuyasha stood there, by the stove eating a carton of ramen quietly. He wasn't wearing his red obi, but her father's old housecoat and flanel pyjama bottoms. Kagome clutched the sprig of mistletoe to her chest. He was so handsome standing there. And he looked so at ease, with his damp hair falling over one shoulder, slowly chewing each ramen noodle. Kagome almost fainted. He looked up with his big golden eyes and saw her, then a smile graced his face. Kagome had never seen such a beautiful smile. She flushed and smiled gently back.
" Did you have fun?" he asked her. Kagome walked over to were he stood and nodded. She wasn't sure her voice had returned. He looked around her in confusion." Sota said that you went shopping and that meant that you would come home with a lot of bags with stuff in them. Where is it all?"
Kagome smiled." It's up in my Mom's room. She's wrapping all the presents up so you can't peek."
" Did you get presents for everyone?" he asked, slurping up a rather long noodle. Kagome got herself a carton and poured some hot water into it. She signalled for Inuyasha to come join her at the table. He oblieged. After a mouthful of ramen, Kagome answered the question.
" Ya, we got presents for everyone. It was harder than I thought to figure out what everyone would like."
Inuyasha smiled." Really?"
" Well, the easiest was Shippo. We just got him some kiddie stuff."
" I see." Inuyasha stared into his ramen, then looked at her with his golden eyes." Kagome..."
" Yes? Inuyasha?"
" Did you get me something too?" he asked lightly. Kagome blushed.
" Of course I did. You're one of my closest friends Inuyasha..."
He looked at her then, his eyes unreadable. Something in them made her sad at first but then they smiled at her.
" You're probably my closest friend Inuyasha."
" That means a lot Kagome..." Inuyasha admitted, his face flushing slightly with embarrassment." It means a lot to me."
Kagome's flush returned, but she smiled in spite of her embarrassment." You're welcome, Inuyasha."
They looked at each other for a moment and then returned to their ramen as if that tender moment hadn't occured. Kagome looked around.
" You guys have been busy," she pointed out." But it looks wonderful. Thanks for doing the walk by the way. Usually that's my job."
Inuyasha shrugged his shoulders." It wasn't a big deal. Afterward me and Sota had a snowfight."
" I saw all the footprints in the snow, and suspected that's what happened. Did you have fun?"
" Yeah, surprizingly. Your brother sure has an arm on him."
" He's not bad but I'm better," Kagome grinned. Inuyasha cocked an eyebrow." Don't look at me like that. I am."
" Sure. Whatever you say, Kagome."
" Is that some kind of challenge? I could beat you down in a heartbeat," she said, mouthfull of ramen.
" I'd like to see that," he laughed, then polished off the carton. Inuyasha licked his lips." I love that stuff. If only they had it in my era. I thank the Gods every time I eat it, that you came along, Kagome."
" Oh sure," said Kagome sarcastically, taking both their empty cartons and putting them in the garbage." That's all I'm good for. Bringing you food and being a shard-detector."
Inuyasha rolled his eyes." Geeze, you're never gonna let me forget that are you?"
Kagome turned around, leaning on the counter, her laugh brightning her eyes." You know it."
Inuyasha got up from the table and stood in front of her. Kagome looked up at him surprized when he leaned down. His lips brushed against her smooth cheek and against her temple. Inuyasha inhaled the sweet scent of her hair, enjoying it as he did everytime he held her close like this.
" I'm sorry Kagome. I'm sorry that I ever hurt your feelings by calling you a shard-detector, or anything else. I want you to know that I've regretted ever saying that, every time you bring it up. You mean so much more to me, than any shard-detector ever could." He leaned back and looked at her face. Her earth coloured eyes misted, but her smile was wide. " I mean it Kagome. You are my closest friend too."
Kagome couldn't believe what Inuyasha was saying to her. What started as a joke, led them to being even closer. Kagome wrapped her arms around him, in a deep embrace. She let one tear fall against his chest, but that was all she would allow herself. Inuyasha hugged her back. They stood like that for a very long moment, until Sota interruppted them.
" What are you guys doing?" he asked sleepily, but with child-like curiousity. Inuyasha and Kagome both jumped away from each other as if the other was on fire, their faces flaming.
" Nothing!" they cried in unision.
Sota smiled and then walked between the two of them, to the sink. He got a glass and filled it with water and then walked toward the doorway again. Sota stopped and looked at the two of them, then pointed above him at the mistltoe.
" If you two are gonna kiss, you should really do it under the mistletoe. That way it's more Christmas-y like."
" SOTA!" screamed Kagome, her face growing more red." Get out of here!!"
" Yikes!"
After Sota sped away, Kagome returned to Inuyasha. He leaned against the counter, with his arms crossed. His face was extremely red as he stared at the floor.
" Listen, Kagome I-" he started. Kagome shook her head vigouriuosly.
" Don't worry about it Inuyasha! Sota may have gotten the wrong idea but I didn't!" she rambled." So don't worry about me okay?!"
Inuyasha stared at her, then nodded. Then his gaze wandered to the ball of mistletoe hanging in the doorway.
" Why did Sota say you should...errr..." he gulped." Should...ah...kiss under the mistletoe?"
Kagome blushed and looked at him, as he moved to stand under it. " It's a Christmas tradition," she explained, not moving from the spot where she stood." If two people stand under the mistletoe, they have to kiss."
" They h-have to?" Inuyasha stuttered.
" Yeah, it's like a rule." Kagome's blush deepened, when she saw Inuyasha stare at it. What was he thinking? Inuyasha redirected his gaze to her.
" I think my clothes should be dry now," he said randomly, continuing to look at her.
" Maybe we should go now?" she asked him.
" Yeah," he answered." While you were gone, I took some decorations that your Grandpa gave me to the well house. For us to take back with us."
" That's a good idea," she smiled. Then her eyes brightened." Oh! I can't wait to tell Shippo about Santa Claus! And to go pick out a tree to decorate. We should put it in the corner of Kaede's hut, and....ohmygosh there's a lot to do!" She walked over to Inuyasha without thinking." We have to go now. Come'on!"
Kagome pulled on his sleeve but his firm grip on her arm stopped her from dragging him away. She looked at him sternly.
" What is it Inuyasha? We have to go!"
But he just looked at her. He couldn't help it, but stare at those earth coloured eyes and those soft lips. Kagome didn't know what she just got herself into.
" Kagome..."
" What?"
Inuyasha pointed up, and Kagome almost fainted. They were standing in the doorway, the mistletoe hanging right above them. Kagome flushed from head to foot, he didn't really intend to kiss her. Did he?
His eyes drooped lazily as they stared into hers. Inuyasha saw that she was frightened, but not to the point were she would deny him a kiss. Her scent was so sweet and her skin so soft, that Inuyasha nearly caved in. No, he thought. Inuyasha stood straight again. When he kissed Kagome, he wanted it to be because both of them wanted to, not because of some stupid rule. Inuyasha pushed her away gently and wandered out of the doorway.
" I'm gonna get dressed," he said bluntly, and then proceeded to the laundry room.
Kagome leaned against the doorjam, and heaved a shaky sigh. That was too close for comfort, she thought. Another minute of staring into those glorious gold eyes of his, and Kagome would have jumped on Inuyasha. She loved Inuyasha, but she didn't know if she was ready for that kind of relationship with him. Kagome took a wobbly step out into the hall. God, if he had kissed her, Kagome knew that the heavens would have sang for her. It would have been one of those kisses you read about in romance books.
" Oh well..." she sighed." Better go tell Mom that we're on our way."


Kagome lifted up a box full of tree decorations out of the well. They were in Inuyasha's time now. It had snowed while they were gone. A great deal more than what was on the ground last time they were here. Kagome sighed.
" It's gonna be a white Christmas," she smiled. Inuyasha helped her out of the well. He hadn't really talked to her since the scene in the kitchen." Inuyasha?"
" What?" he turned to her. His eyes were hard as amber now.
Clearly, the whole thing must of been a spur of the moment thing. Everything, Kagome thought sadly.
Inuyasha saw the hurt in her eyes. It hit him right in the heart, and he hated to admitt it but it hurt. It hurt to see that he was the one to do it. He was to blame for the injured look in her deep earth coloured eyes. He was killing himself slowly with the guilt so he decided that he'd put a stop to it right now.
Inuyasha dropped the boxes of decorations and the box of presents and turned to Kagome. She looked at him shocked. " What are you doing?!" she yelped as he tore her box out of her hands, and dropped it to the ground too." Inuyasha?"" Look Kagome...." he said to her as he drew her into his embrace. Her face was buried into his shoulder, as it had been many a time. Inuyasha took a deep breath, Kagome felt the rise and fall of his muscular chest. " Kagome, I'm sorry. For the way I've been treating you since the-errr-the...ummm...."
Kagome buried her nose into the soft, warm cloth of his obi." It's okay Inuyasha."
" Okay," he agreed. They stood in the snow like that for a long, warm moment. It would have been longer, but Inuyasha heard something in the bushes.

" I wanna see!!" whispered a high pitched voice.
" This is not something for children to see..." answered a grave voice. Then a feminine sigh.

"Grrrrrr..." Inuyasha growled. He turned his head in the direction of the voices." DO YOU MIND???!!!"
Three heads popped out of the snow covered bush. Shippo rushed over to Kagome while Miroku and Sango made their way over in good time. Miroku laughed at Inuyasha's expression as he and Shippo always invaded their private moments together. Sango joined Kagome's side as always and continued to avoid Miroku's any attemps at grope her. They were all together for the holidays.


It had been fun explaining Christmas to Sango, Miroku and Shippo. Shippo especially accepted the gift part of the deal and really got in the Christmas spirit. Sango was understanding of the concept and Miroku and Inuyasha proceeded to argue over every detail. Just like a couple of men over the barbique.
Over the next few days, everyone in the village had caught on, and was getting into the spirit. Some went to Kagome to get idea's for gifts for their loved ones, and it seemed that her and Inuyasha led a calvary of men into the forest to hunt out trees for every household in the village. Kagome and Sango didn't know how many paper snowflakes they had made or how many paperchains either, over the course of the last few days. Kagome had written out lyrics to several charols and instructed the village women and children on how to sing them. Miroku and Inuyasha made two sleighs from trees that had fallen down in the forest, and Lady Kaede arranged for horses to lead them through the village on rides for lovers. Inuyasha and Kagome completely declined any offer for a sleigh ride. They made forts and walls of snow. Made snowmen, and women in Miroku's case, and Kagome taught all the children how to make angels in the snow. It had been an eventful few days, but it was finally Christmas Eve.
" I'm so glad Mom packed us hot chocolate," Kagome murmured into her cup. Christmas wasn't the same without it. She looked around Lady Kaede's hut with joy. It was filled with boughs of fresh holly, and there were paperchains hanging from the ceiling, and Shippo had pasted some handmade, by him of course, snowflakes on the walls.
On the overhang, Kagome had tied the sprig of mistletoe she had brought with her. And she wished, she had never told Miroku it's purpose. For his well-being of course, as everytime he and Sango met under it, he ended up with a red handmark on his face or, last time when he had groped her, he ended up with a nasty black eye. Thank God for the cold stuff, or he would have one side of his face swollen to the size of a grapefruit.
Kagome blushed as she looked at the mistletoe, recalling what had happened between her and Inuyasha. She looked out the door of the hut. Night had fallen and everyone was asleep but her. Christmas Eve had always been a restless night for her, but this year was more restless as Inuyasha had not come home yet.
Everynight he would come in from the cold, even though he thought they were all asleep. Kagome laughed under her breath. Inuyasha wouldn't be caught dead in the hut during the day, all the last few days she had hung the mistletoe. Only at night, when he knew he was safe, would he come in from the cold.
It made her smile, as she thought of all the Christmas cheer she had brought to the village. She felt very happy with herself and with her choice of spending Christmas with the gang. It had been, indeed, so far, a very merry Christmas. At that thought, Kagome heard footsteps wander into the hut. She heard the sound of ruffling clothes, as she turned around.
" Hi Inuyasha," she smiled gently. Inuyasha looked up as he set his red shirt on the floor to dry. He nearly jumped out of his skin.
" Kagome....what are you doing up?" he asked, rooted to the spot were she had spotted him.
" I was waiting for you to come in," she answered. She signalled him over to her." Why don't you sit by the fire and warm up?"
" Ok..." He wandered over and sat next to her. He was acting so shy, she mused. Kagome shivered at the cold coming off of him as he warmed up next to her. She thrust her mug under his nose.
" What?"
" Here, take this...It'll warm you up." He eyed it suspisiously, but after taking a sniff, he took the mug from her hands. After taking a sip, his eyes lighted up, like when he first tryed ramen.
" This is great stuff," he slurped a mouthful. Kagome smiled and rested her head on his shoulder. He jumped slightly in surprize at first but let her rest her head. Kagome quickly moved away.
" What?" he asked concerned. She put her hand to her mouth, trying to stop the laughter." What?!"
" You smell like wet dog!" she giggled and covered her nose. Inuyasha flushed a bright pink.
" What'd you expect?!" he cried, glaring at her. He blushed into the mug, avoiding her gaze." Geeze..."
Kagome smiled at the blushing Inuyasha, who proceeded to blush harder, into a deep red colour. She went to take back her mug, her slim hands brushing against his cold, calused hands. She shivered and put down her mug to take his hands in hers.
" What are you doing, Kagome?..." he whispered huskily. Kagome just smiled.
" Your hands are freezing, so I'm trying to warm them up," she looked up at him." You should really consider wearing extra layers in the winter time, Inuyasha. You might get sick one of these days." Kagome proceeded to rub his hands, causing warmth through the gentle friction.
" I don't need extra clothes. I'm half-demon and have thicker skin than you."
" And what is the other half of you made of, huh? Human, just like the rest of us. I don't want you to get sick."
" Feh..." he grunted. Kagome's hands moved to his arms, rubbing their muscular length, then up to his smooth, rosy cheeks. Inuyasha shivered this time, if Kagome continued he thought, he might just lose any resolve he had to stay away from her. Her hands moved up his forhead and stroked his bangs back from his face. Inuyasha started to lean towards her soft mouth but stopped when her hands moved to his sensitive ears.
It was bliss he thought. That gentle motion of her soft hands, slowly massaging the most coldest and sensitive part of him. Inuyasha felt his eyes droop low, and unfocus. He leaned toward Kagome, not to kiss her but to allow her better access to his ears. This time her hands moved to behind his ears and scratched the area where his ears met his soft hair. Inuyasha fell to her lap, lazily stretching, letting a low moan escape his lips. He heard her giggle.
" Inuyasha...are you purring?" she whispered gentily. He felt to good to agrue with her. When she stopped, Inuyasha just stayed in her lap. He felt way too good to even move. Kagome had done what she set out to do, he thought. He felt warmed from the inside out as he lay in her lap.
The snow fell silently outside as they sat together by the fire. The dying light played beautifully off the branches of the Christmas tree. Everyone in the hut was asleep but the two huttled by the fire. Inuyasha sat up to look at Kagome. Her eyes were a tired hue, Inuyasha smiled. He sat up and took Kagome's hands in his this time.
" Kagome..." he said quietly. " It's your turn." He gently pulled her to him, and layed her in his lap. She was surprized but buried her face into his warm shoulder. He felt her sigh and slowly felt her doze off.
Kagome woke up an hour and some later. Inuyasha sat, staring into the fire. She rubbed her eyes and smiled at him. It seemed everything was alright between them again. Kagome looked at her watch. It was two in the morning. Christmas morning!
Kagome jumped out of his lap and crouched down under the tree.
" What are you doing Kagome?" he asked.
" It's Christmas morning!" she whispered urgently. " I want you to open your present."
" Really? I can open it now?" he asked quietly, hardly masking the excitment in his voice.
" Of course you can. Here." And she handed it to him. Inuyasha looked at it fondly.
" No one's ever cared enough to give me a gift before Kagome." She just smiled and plopped down beside him.
" You're welcome Inuyasha. Now, open it!"
" Ya!" then they proceeded to ripp the wrapping away. A pile of clothing fell into Inuyasha's lap. He held the deep red sweater up and sniffed it." It smells like you."
Kagome blushed." It's modern clothing so you can hang with me when you come to my time. That way, you can go downtown with me instead of us staying at my house everytime."
Inuyasha smiled at her and lifted the jeans up. He felt the fabric with his clawed fingers. " Thanks Kagome." He looked at her with his golden eyes with curiousity." Can I put them on?"
Kagome nodded and pointed to Lady Kaede's screen." You can change behind there."
Inuyasha gathered everything up in his arms and went behind the screen. Kagome took her mug, which she laughed, was empty and put it in her oversized bag. Inuyasha must have drank the rest. Kagome could hear the rustling of clothes, and occasionally saw the flash of a red sleeve over the top of the screen. She put more kindling in the fire while she waited for him to change. She'd been waiting for this moment ever since her Mother and her had bought the clothes. Kagome hoped Inuyasha liked them. As she watched the fire, she was tapped on the shoulder. Startled, she looked up.
Inuyasha stood beside her. She stood herself to get a better look at him. She was right, she thought. He looked awsome in modern clothes. The jeans fit comfortably over his long legs, the sweater of red fit perfectly against him, outlining his honed frame. The collar and cuffs of the white shirt poked out of the sweater perfectly, and Inuyasha had placed the baseball cap on his head. Kagome had never seen any guy look that good in clothes before. She smiled wide.
" You look great," she sighed. Inuyasha blushed, as he tossed the cashmere socks in one hand.
" They feel too tight," he mumbled. Kagome looked at him. His usual obi was really baggy. But it was a nice change to see his actual frame for once, instead of his figure hidden beneath the folds of his red obi.
" That's the way modern clothes are," she whispered. Everyone was still asleep. He really did look great in them." You really do look great in them."
Inuyasha turned to her. His eyes dimmed." I didn't get you anything Kagome," he sighed." You've done so much for me."
" You're my friend Inuyasha," she smiled gently." I'd do anything for you."
Inuyasha averted his eyes and twisted the socks in his firm grip." Kagome...do you ever think of me as more than a friend?"
Kagome flushed and averted her gaze from his as well." Inuyasha I....I don't know..." That was a lie. She loved him. Kagome sighed. Time to face the music." Inuyasha-"
" Kagome...you don't have to say anything to make me feel better. I don't mind staying friends if you don't. It's just....."
" Inuyasha..."
Inuyasha stepped close, dropped the socks to his feet and grabbed her arms gently. He tipped his hat back. Kagome just stood stunned.
" Kagome...we're standing under the mistletoe...." Kagome looked above them, and he was right. They were standing directly under it. Kagome lifted her face to his, as he bent low.
Just before he captured her lips in his, Kagome murmured," I love you Inuyasha...."
Their lips met in a sweet first kiss. Kagome wound her arms around his neck to bring them closer together, and Inuyasha wound his arms around her waist in the same fashion. The feeling of their bodies touching sent a thrill throught both of them, and soon the kiss became more frenzied.
Inuyasha's head was spinning, all filled up with only thoughts of Kagome and what she did to him. He groaned into her mouth as her hands brushed his sensitive ears, his hat falling to the floor in her action. He could feel the primitive urge to take shoot through his body. Inuyasha had to put a stop to this, as much as it pained him to do so, before his demon blood completely took over and he did something they would both regret. The urge to stop was as sharp as the urge to keep his body plastered to hers, but Inuyasha broke away.
Kagome took a few deep breaths as they broke apart. Her earlier assumptions were right, she thought. That kiss had stolen her breath completely and Kagome didn't know if she'd ever get it back. He'd already stolen her heart so what was a few breaths of air anyways? Inuyasha didn't say anything, just stood by her, rubbing her arms.
She loved him, he thought. Kagome loved him. No woman had ever said that to him before. And, Inuyasha relized, he didn't want any other women to say it to him. Only Kagome. It had always been Kagome, and always will.
" Kagome," he murmured into her hair as he drew her against him again. He heard her sigh with content and continued.
" Kagome...I....I..." She looked up at him with interest, her eyes filled with curiousity and love. Only Kagome.
" Yes Inuyasha?" she whispered gently.
" I love you," he blurted out. Kagome wrapped her arms around his neck, and hugged him as hard as she could.
" Inuyasha, I'm so glad," she cried.
Inuyasha hugged her tight, never wanting to let go of what was now his, and forever would be. Kagome leaned in to kiss him again.
" Merry Christmas Inuyasha...."

Together, as the snow fell slowly and silently outside. Together, as the others slept below them. Together, as their lips brushed again in embrace, they forever sealed their love.....





Converting /tmp/phpfiMsVL to /dev/stdout