InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Moments ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha, but I would love to scratch his ears.
 
Author's Note: I should have made things a bit clearer in the author's note in the first chapter of this story. This is a continuation fic (of sorts). I have only seen up to episode 124 of the anime, so any mistakes I make are my own, and I do apologize for them. This story does take place two years after Kagome released Inuyasha from Goshinboku. Naraku has not been found or killed as yet, and Inuyasha and his friends are still trying to locate the missing jewel shards.
 
Moments
 
By Amberle-chan
 
Chapter Two
 
“You did not get all the shards!” his master raged at him in fury. “You told me that she had at least three or four of them!”
 
“I am sorry, Master,” the servant replied as he knelt prostrate before his master. He did not cower in fear, however; after a thousand years in his master's service, he had grown used to his master's volatile, explosive temper. He would not die. His master had tried to kill him once, but then had stopped himself before the final blow, knowing his true worth only remained if he was alive. “One of the shards fell back into the time slip before I could catch it. Please forgive me.”
 
He looked at his servant's kneeling form and snarled savagely at him, wishing he had the strength to beat him until his life had slipped down to its last trickle of blood.
 
He looked down at the two glowing shards in his palm. He took one of the shards and pushed it deep into hist chest as the exact point of his heart. He then took the second shard and pushed it into middle of his forehead. He waited.
 
The power hit him quickly, in a pulsing wave of light that surged through his veins. Suddenly, he felt life returning to long atrophied muscles, and for the first time in years, he raised himself off the floor without the assistance of his servant. His once stuttering heart was now beating strongly again, letting the blood flow freely through his arteries once more. He raised his arms above his head, feeling some of the vitality he had long missed returning.
 
It was not enough. His youth had not yet returned, nor had he obtained his ultimate goal—immortality. He knew that he would need one more shard, perhaps two.
 
His servant was staring up at him in gap-toothed awe. He walked around his kneeling servant once, twice, thrice, enjoying the feel of his working muscles again. He then bent down and pulled his servant's hair hard by its scraggly ponytail. “You will bring me the other shards, do you understand me? I don't care how you get them! You will bring them to me or I will gouge out the rest of your face.”
 
The servant raised what was left of his face to his master's eyes. The firelight in the room glowed orange against the wide, torn, puckered scar that lay across his forehead, down into his empty right eye socket, and to his chin. “Yes, Master,” he choked out.
 
His master kicked him viciously in the side before he let go of his hair. “Good. Now fetch me something decent to eat and then afterwards you will bring me one of the maids. Prepare her well. She will stay the night with me.” He left the room, still flexing his newly awakened arms and legs.
 
The servant fell prostrate to the floor again. “Yes, Master.”
 
 
XXX
 
Kagome remained unconscious; Inuyasha refused to leave her side and growled savagely at anyone who even suggested it. He would not sleep. As three days passed and Kagome continued not to stir, his mood grew worse and worse, even to the point that the ever-patient Miroku lost his temper on the third morning of their watch and stormed out of the hut, muttering under his breath, “Stubborn, stupid, idiotic hanyou.” Sango left the hut after the second day, taking Shippou with her. The kit had become more than just an annoyance to the hanyou; it was safer for Shippou if he was not in Inuyasha's way. They returned on occasion to keep him company and to also talk to Kagome as Kaede had advised, but they did not stay long. Inuyasha's temper became more and more vicious as more time passed, and the best way not to provoke him further was not to be there.
 
However, in their absence, they did not hear the gentle way Inuyasha quietly spoke to Kagome when he was alone with her. Only Kaede was a witness to it as she returned to the hut late in the afternoon. Inuyasha's back was to her, and he was so engrossed in talking to Kagome that he never even sensed the old miko's entrance into the hut.
 
Inuyasha's clawed fingers were gently brushing through her hair, a habit he had picked up in the last few days, as he spoke to her. “Come on, Kagome, you've got to wake up soon. Shippou is driving me nuts. Besides, if you don't, I'll have to beg Sesshamoru to borrow Tensaiga. You know we can't have that. You're the only one who's able to stop me from killing him.”
 
Kaede placed her hand on Inuyasha's shoulder; he jumped upwards with a cry, Tetsusaiga pulled out of its scabbard.
 
“Damn it, old woman!” he swore harshly, “don't do that!”
 
“I'm sorry I startled you, Inuyasha,” Kaede answered calmly as the inu-youkai sank back down to the floor. “I only brought you some of the food that Sango made.” She handed him a bowl of stew and some chopsticks.
 
Inuyasha took the bowl with a grimace, but did not eat, placing it on the floor beside him
“Thanks,” he said, gruffly.
 
“You are doing the right thing, Inuyasha,” Kaede said. “Keep talking to her. She will awaken eventually.”
 
“Keh!” Inuyasha replied. “She should be awake already!”
 
“Perhaps. Perhaps she is still too frightened to return. Whatever the reason, she trusts you more than anyone else. Your voice will soothe her the most.”
 
“Yeah, whatever you say, old woman,” Inuyasha mumbled.
 
Kaede patted his shoulder and left the hut, a small smile gracing her lips.
 
On the fifth day of their watch over Kagome, both Sango and Miroku were in the hut, talking to the comatose girl, as Inuyasha dozed lightly in a corner, his back against the wall with Tetsuaiga at his side. Kaede entered the hut followed by a strange man. Inuyasha, sensing the unknown presence, instantly awoke and stood up, his hand on the sword's hilt. Sango and Miroku rose as well.
 
“This is Yutaro-san,” the old priestess said as an introduction. “He comes from another village to ask for aid.”
 
The man bowed. “Please, help,” he said in a nervous voice. “I live in a village two days from here. In the last week or so, we have been attacked repeatedly by a pack of jackal youkai. We have heard that you can help us.”
 
“Keh! I'm not leaving Kagome!” Inuyasha declared as he turned his back.
 
Sango lifted her boomerang from where it lay against the wall as Miroku picked up his staff. They both stared momentarily at the hanyou, but a quiet look between them acknowledged a fact they both already knew. No matter how much they insisted, Inuyasha would not go with them.
 
“We'll go with you,” the monk told the man, bowing slightly.
 
“Perhaps you should take Shippou with you,” Kaedge suggested.
 
Sango shrugged slightly. “He's been very depressed about Kagome,” she said to Miroku. “It might distract him a little if he does come with us.”
 
“Yes,” Miroku replied. “Come with us, my good man.”
 
The man followed Sango and Miroku out of the hut. Minutes later, after packing some foodstuffs and some other necessities, they collected Shippou and Kirara and were gone from the village.
 
XXX
 
The next night, Inuyasha remained alone in the hut with Kagome; Kaede had left earlier that evening to attend a birthing mother on the other side of the village. He sat with his back against the wall and stared sadly at the sleeping young woman with dark amber eyes, watching her face as she lay in her blankets by one side of the fire. She had grown even thinner during her extended sleep; her pale skin had become almost translucent and her face had a gray pallor to it.
 
As Inuyasha continued to gaze at her, he found himself becoming inordinately frightened that he would lose her, that she would never awaken. He stood up and leaned Tetsusaiga against the wall. He walked the few feet to where Kagome lay and laid himself beside her. One finger reached out to caress her cheekbone; her skin felt cold to his touch. “You've got to wake up, Kagome,” he whispered pleadingly as he pulled her still form into his arms. “I miss you.” He fell asleep moments later after days of watching and waiting, Kagome folded against his heart.
 
XXX
 
 
The first thing that Kagome noticed as sleep slowly drifted away from her was that she was warm, comfortable, and felt like she was in the safest place in the world. As she slowly opened her eyes, she realized she was wrapped in Inuyasha's haori as well as his arms. He held her securely against his chest; she could feel his steady heartbeat against her cheek.
 
“Inuyasha,” she whispered softly.
 
Inuyasha's arms immediately tightened around. “It's about time you woke up, wench,” he said gruffly, trying to hold back the wave of relief he felt in his voice.
 
He was unsuccessful. Startled by the tone of his voice and the way he was holding her, Kagome pulled back to look at him. Shock ran through her when she saw his face and eyes.
 
Inuyasha's eyes were bright with unshed tears.
 
There had only been one other time when she had seen his tears. On the day that she had been had caught in the temple fire, and he thought she had died…
 
“Inuyasha,” she asked, half-afraid of the answer, “why are you crying?”
 
He buried his face in her hair. “Keh! Who says I'm crying?” he answered grumpily.
 
“Inuyasha,” Kagome whispered, as she reached up to brush one finger against his ear. It twitched softly in her hand; his arms tightened around her, as if he was afraid to ever let go.
 
 
XXX
 
Later that morning, as Kagome ate the first meal she had had in days, Inuyasha told her about finding her unconscious at the bottom of the well. Kaede quietly explained how she had been comatose for days. Miroku, Sango, and Shippou sat by her side as Inuyasha sat against the wall, waiting for her to say something about her experience.
 
“I'm sorry I worried you all,” Kagome said, smiling wanly at her friends. She felt around around her neck where the necklace holding the vial of jewel shards usually hung. “I guess the youkai who attacked me got the jewel shards, too.”
 
“Do you remember anything at all, child?” Kaede asked.
 
Kagome shook her head, her expression troubled, her shoulders slumped as she pulled away from them. “Please…I don't want to talk about it yet. Please forgive me.”
 
“Don't apologize, Kagome,” Sango said, as she gently lay one hand on her friend's arm in reassurance. “You can tell us when you're ready.”
 
“Yeah, it's alright, Kagome,” Shippou spoke up. “You don't have to tell us right now.”
Kagome looked over at Inuyasha. He did not speak at all, but he nodded once. His eyes told her all she needed to know. He would wait as well.
XXX
 
It was almost another two weeks before Kagome felt well enough to go home. In the first week of her recovery, she had not been strong enough to even move about Kaede's hut. Inuyasha kept her constant company, making sure she got plenty to eat and lots of rest. Kagome didn't mind the constant attention; Inuyasha was nothing but extremely gentle with her. In the beginning of the second week, she began to take short walks around the village, sometimes even going as far Goshinboku.
 
She had a great deal to think about while she got better. And although the others asked her several times to tell them what had occurred at the well, she always shook her head and told them she wasn't ready yet.
 
Then there were nightmares. They were vicious and brutal and endlessly repeated themselves night and after night. She learned to keep her screams to herself after she woke up Inuyasha one night…
 
~~~~~~
 
Inuyasha awoke to the sound of thrashing. Kagome was literally beating herself against the floor of the hut as she slept, her blankets a tangled mess against her body. Alarmed, Inuyasha rushed to her side as she screamed out his name.
 
Inuyasha gently shook her shoulder. “Kagome, come on, you've got to wake up,” he pleaded gently. When her fists kept pummeling the floor, he grabbed her wrists in his hands, stilling their movement. Kagome gasped, and her eyes flew open. They were glazed and staring. “Inuyasha…?” she asked in a raspy voice.
 
“You were having a bad dream,” he answered softly, one hand moving down to tenderly clasp her fingers in one hand while the other reached up to touch her cheek. “Are you alright now?”
 
Kagome's eyes suddenly filled with tears. “I kept calling for you; I wanted you to save me, but you never came,” she sobbed.
 
Inuyasha reached down and hugged her against his chest. She continued to weep, each of her tears a dagger to his heart. He had so wanted to protect her, and when she had needed him the most, he hadn't been there. It was a complete failure on his part, and he would never be free of the guilt. “I'm sorry, Kagome, I'm sorry,” he murmured into her hair as he rocked her gently. It was the only thing he could think of to say. It wasn't enough.
 
Eventually, her tears lessened, and Inuyasha loosened his hold on her. He lifted her chin with his index finger. “Will you tell me what happened now, Kagome? What happened that day at the well?”
 
She buried her face against his chest again. “No, please don't ask me yet,” she pleaded in a strangled voice.
 
Inuyasha could not deny her request. He pulled her tighter into his embrace and held her until she fell asleep in his arms. As he let his own weariness take over, he thought to himself, “Someday, you'll tell me, Kagome, and then everything will be alright again.”
 
~~~~~~
 
 
Kagome never screamed out in her sleep again, because she couldn't tell him the truth, couldn't let anyone know what had really happened to her at the well.
 
 
 
Kagome felt like she was getting really better at the end of her second week of recovery when she and Inuyasha had a fight over nothing. The following day, she realized things were really getting back to normal when she announced that she was returning home for a day near the end of the second week, and Inuyasha went into his full stubborn mode.
 
“Keh! You promised you would stay the whole summer!” he shouted in her face.
 
“And I will!” Kagome yelled back. “I haven't been back in three weeks, Inuyasha. My family is probably very worried about me. I'll go back this afternoon and be back by tomorrow morning, okay?” She smiled up at him. “I'll bring back some extra ramen.”
 
“Trying to bribe me, wench? Well, it won't work. I can survive without ramen if I have to.”
 
“Inuyasha,” Kagome began to say.
 
He recognized that tone of voice instantly. She was getting ready to “sit” him. It would be the first time she had done that since before the incident at the well. He had grown used to not having to submit to the damn spell, so much so that he did not want to hear that word now or ever again. He capitulated. “Fine, then,” he said, as he grabbed her nearly empty knapsnack. Sango had managed to repair most of the damage to it. “I'll walk you there.”
 
XXX
 
Kagome hesitated as she approached the well. She had to go home; it had been almost three weeks since she had been back. She knew her mother surely was worried about her by now, yet she was afraid.
 
Inuyasha noticed her hesitation, her wide, staring eyes. “I'll go with you, if you want,” he said. He could smell her fear, and it frightened him. It had grown steadily worse as they drew closer and closer to the well. He had smelled fear on Kagome before, but this time, it was different. She was terrified. Why was she afraid of the well? It puzzled him. He knew that she had been hurt the last time she traveled through the time slip, but she had been hurt before and still never seemed to lose her spirit. He almost growled in frustration.
 
Kagome turned to him with wide, staring eyes and wished once again that she had the courage to tell him what had truly happened to her at the well, but she always faltered, afraid to speak the words, terrified of the truth. “Okay,” she whispered in reply.
 
Kagome tried to control her sudden trembling as she reached the side of the well and began to climb over its side. Inuyasha reached out to put one arm around her waist to steady her and felt her shivers. “Kagome?” he asked, his voice laced with deep concern.
 
Kagome began to shake her head violently, her long, black hair lashing out in every direction. She backed away from the well and from Inuyasha, her hands balled into fists against her head, her eyes drowning in sudden tears. “I can't! I can't!” Without another look back, she turned and fled.
 
She ran blindly, barely hearing Inuyasha calling her name, but she had to get away, escape from the well, fly from the terror that beat against her soul. She stumbled several times against the tree roots and rocks that lay in her path. Her eyes streaming, her breaths coming in great hitching gasps, she did not see the huge root that reared out from a king oak tree. She tripped and fell. She sprawled helplessly to the ground, her sobs quickening.
A hand touched her back. She screamed and scrambled away.
 
Inuyasha was shocked at her reaction, but he did not let it show as he reached out toward her. “Shh…it's just me, Kagome,” he reassured her softly.
 
“Inuyasha?” Kagome raised her hands to her eyes, scrubbing at them.
 
He reached out and gathered her close to his chest. She sobbed against him, holding onto his haori with tight hands. Inuyasha tightened his arms around her, rocking her gently, murmuring words of comfort and reassurance, his lips occasionally brushing against her hair.
 
It was several minutes before Kagome's crying lessened into softer weeping and then finally seemed to stop. Inuyasha laid one hand against her cheek, tilting her head up so he could see her eyes. They were still wet with dew, but she tried to smile for him. “Kagome,” Inuyasha said, his voice soft and gentle, “I know you don't want to tell me why you're so afraid, but I think you should.” Kagome shook her head and tried to pull away, but he tightened his hold on her, his embrace preventing her from moving. His hand brushed through her hair as he stared at her unwaveringly. “I've seen it for the last week now, Kagome. You never even went near the well on all those walks…and after what happened just now, I know you're frightened. I want you to tell me why. What has got you scared so much?”
 
She tried to pull away again. “Please…Inuyasha,” she pleaded in a gasping whisper.
 
“No, Kagome,” he said firmly, his grasp on her tightening even further. “I'm not going to let you go until you tell me.”
 
She struggled against him. “I'll say the word,” she threatened weakly.
 
“Keh! Then we'll both be eating dirt,” Inuyasha replied. He pushed her hair behind her ear. “Come on, Kagome, you've got to tell someone. If not me, then who?”
 
Kagome buried her face against his chest. Deep in her heart she knew that Inuyasha was right. She had to tell him. There was no one else she could tell, not even Sango or Kaede. She took a deep breath to help steady her wracked nerves and murmured, “I'm afraid…afraid it will happen again.”
 
“What will happen again?” Inuyasha asked her gently. “Of being attacked again? You've been attacked before, Kagome, and never been afraid.”
 
She shook her head against him and then lifted her face to his. Tears were starting to trickle from her eyes once more. “No, that it isn't it, Inuyasha,” she whispered. “That isn't it at all.” Kagome turned her eyes from his for just a moment, her head hanging down, her face hiding her face from his gaze. If Inuyasha's hearing had been any less sensitive than it was, he would have missed her next words.
 
“I died, Inuyasha.”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1