InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Moonlight Sonata ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Kagome blinked and could instantly feel the tears start filling her eyes.

“W-what?” she whispered, her eyes completely glazed over with sorrow. Shippo gaped and stared at the ground, Inuyasha’s eyes were widened in shock.

“Prince Kouga and Princess Ayame have passed on. A private attack from the Lord of the South.” The large demon replied. Tears streamed down Kagome’s cheeks, and Inuyasha bit down on his lower lip as he gently brushed them away.

“Shh…Don’t cry Kagome.” He whispered, trying to be as comforting as he could. Shippo stepped quietly down to the area where Sango and Miroku still played and giggled. Kirara watched silently as Shippo told the pair of their loss. Sango’s hands flew to cover her mouth, and she buried her face in Mirokus’ chest. Miroku stroked Sangos’ wet head, his other arm wrapped around her in a warm embrace.

“We must leave quickly, for there is another stop to make that will take a few days time.” The demon spoke. Inuyasha looked up at the demon and began to speak, his voice was hoarse.

“If we are gonna go anywhere with you, what’s your name?”

“Kaji.”

“Well then Kaji, lets go.” Inuyasha said, helping the sobbing Kagome onto Kirara, Miroku doing the same with Sango. Miroku sat behind Sango. Inuyasha and Shippo would be able to keep the pace with Kaji. Quick as a flash they were off, the sun slowly setting in the eastern sky.
~~~


It was just a day later since the strange healer Aine had arrived in the household of Lord Sesshoumaru. She had continuously given the small girl small doses of herbal tea, and little spoonfuls of broth, every hour changing her sheets and washing her down with ice-cold water.

Rins’ fever slowly began to go down, and she would rest easily after she’d been washed down, giving Aine a bit of time to rest between her work. She and Sesshoumaru spoke little to each other, despite the small requests for more broth and herbs.

Two more days passed, and finally a subject came up between the two to finally start some kind of discussion.

“Why do you act the way you do? It’s rare when you say anything at all, and when you do it’s down right cold. You never open up to anybody, and I can see all this even though I’ve only been here a few days.” Aine leaned in the doorway , her hand on her left hip.

The question had made Sesshoumaru raise an eyebrow.
“It is none of your concern why this Sesshoumaru acts the way he does. Your job here is not to question me, but to heal that girl in that bed right there.” Sesshoumaru glared at the wolf demon now, his gaze was intense.

Aine didn’t even flinch.

“Well, I’m making it my concern. You should have to act so mean all the time. Lighten up, will you? If you have some unrevealed problems, deal with it! We all have problems and there isn’t anything we can do to stop them. Have an issue? SHOVE IT! We all do!” Aine realized she was yelling and then turned her head with a satisfied gleam in her eyes as she lifted Rin to begin feeding her broth and tea.

Sesshoumaru could feel his hands creaming to be around this girls throat. Why did she question him so inappropriately? In fact, why did she act the way she was. She never smiled and she was definitely sticking her nose in places it shouldn’t be.

Sesshoumaru suddenly realized as he heard a loud yelp pass his ears, he had pinned the demon to the floor and his claws were digging into her wrists. Aine bared her fangs and growled loudly as she wriggled beneath the Inu youkai’s grip. Her foot found a sensitive place between his legs, which caused him to release his grip enough in shock for her to pull her hand free and allow the heal of her hand to find its way to Sesshoumaru’s nose.

Sesshoumaru, to his horror, was thrown back by the force, an immense pain shot through his face. Sesshoumaru’s eyes glazed over to a deep shade of red, his hand over his nose.

“GET OUT!” He roared, his fangs bared as he glared horribly at the wolf demon who stepped toward him.

“Do not yell at me,” she said calmly, though her voice seemed to crack. “Remove your hand and I’ll fix your nose.”

How dare she not obey his command! He would show her when this Sesshoumaru gave an order, there was nothing else to do but obey it. He raised his had to strike her, only to have long, smooth, pale fingers wrap around his wrists. He glared at her and started to jerk free when he felt warm, soft lips touch his own.

He felt something cold, almost like water, but not, flow into his mouth and up to his bleeding nose. The cold matter began to return his nose back to its straight perfection.
Sesshoumarus’ blood began to boil. How dare this girl violate him so? He did not find any attraction towards her what so ever despite the fact that his groins seemed to protest at that idea.

This Sesshoumaru did NOT have an attraction of the body or the heart, though he continued to feel himself hardening as the kiss continued. This Sesshoumaru cares for NO one. He would not be brought down so.

Sesshoumaru gripped Aines’ shoulders and pushed her away from him. Aine dropped to her knees and began to breath heavily. Sesshoumaru then heard a small knock on the door, and Jaken stepped into the room.

“My Lord you have a messenger!” Jaken squawked and Sesshoumaru followed him out of the room, his hand brushing his nose only to find that it was indeed healed.

Rin opened her eyes weakly, staring up at the demon who had been helping her. “Ma’am…you look pale..are you okay?” Rin asked

And indeed Aine was paler than she had been before. She coughed and for the first time, smiled down at Rin. “I’m fine little one. Get some rest.”
~~

Sesshoumaru followed Jaken, silently pondering why the demon had kissed him.

“She’s not beautiful at all. Her body is too curved, her skin his too pale, her eyes are too red, her lips are too full as well as her breasts. Her legs are too long and she’s foul.” Sesshoumaru, satisfied with his internal insults, smirked slightly as he opened the door to find a tall wolf demon gazing up at him.

“Lord Sesshoumaru, my name is Kaji, messenger of Lord Saruwatari. He requests your presents at the ceremony for the death of Prince Kouga and Princess Ayame.”

Sesshoumaru cocked an eyebrow, surprised slightly to hear this news.

“So, the wolf demon and his woman were killed?” He asked, assuming that’s the only way they could have died, considering they were too young to die of old age.

“Yes, my lord.” Kaji said bowing his head. “However we must be off quickly, it is a long journey.”

Sesshoumaru nodded having been to the north many times. This Sesshoumaru, however, was not going because he cared that the couple had died, but because he had the maturity enough to pay his respects. Sesshoumaru knew within an instant that Rin must come, considering he trusted no one to care for her. To his resentment however, he realized that in order for Rin to get the proper care, that foul little wolf demon must come as well.

Sesshoumaru had turned to retrieve the human and demon, only to find that Aine had her cloak around her, and Rin was wrapped in a warm blanket and laid in her arms. Sesshoumaru could not see her face, but he could smell the salt on Aine’s cheeks. Apparently, he thought, Kouga and Ayame had meant something to her in some way.

“Lady Aine?” Kaji said, his eyes widened in shock. “What are you doing here?”

“That is none of your concern, let us go. Now.” Aine snapped, her voice was low and cold as ice.

As they stepped out the door, an overwhelming scent of hanyou filled his nose, as well as Aine’s. Sesshoumaru only glanced at his younger brother.

“Inuyasha.”

“Sesshoumaru.”

And that was all that was said between the two. Kagome had noticed that the two had gained some civility between themselves. Oh thank the heavens, she thought.

Kagome didn’t keep her eyes on the two brothers for long, because her eyes were quickly drawn to the tall, hooded figure holding Rin. Her breath quickened as she saw it coming toward her.

“Hold her.” Commanded a low, feminine voice.

Kagome would have protested, though she decided to keep her mouth shut considering it was only Rin. Kagome sat Rin between herself and Sango, letting Inuyasha kiss her forehead.

Sesshoumaru glanced and Kaji. Why had he called her ‘Lady’ instead of her actual name. It couldn’t be that this brat was of noble blood, could it? Sesshoumaru shook his head. No, she couldn’t be.

“Let us go.” Aine said directing the comment at Kaji, who nodded and started running at a fast pace. Aine, Inuyasha, and Sesshoumaru easily stayed by him. Kirara flew in the air above them.

Aine’s hood flew back, releasing the mass of yellow-white hair behind her. Sesshoumaru could see her from the corner of his eye. Her eyes were cold with fury, her mouth was set in a grim line. Something was definitely bothering her.
~~~~

The group had been on their way to the north for at least twelve hours now, and the night had fallen quite a few hours back.

Aine suddenly leapt into the air, seemed to spot something not to far away, and landed to stop the group.

“We will rest here.” She stated and began a slow walk to her right. The group followed her without protest. Aine lead them to a large cave, which was quite warm once they stepped inside. Miroku and Inuyasha left soon after to hunt for firewood, Sesshoumaru had gone to find food.

“I must go for a moment, but I shall return soon.” Aine said, directing her statement to Kagome and Sango, who sat beneath a large, warm blanket Kagome brought with them.
Kagome nodded, Sango smiled and waved. Shippo sat opposite them, once again sketching.
~~~~


Sesshoumaru dragged a deer behind him as he headed back towards the cave. Inuyasha and Miroku had already arrived back at the cave. He knew this because they had passed him on their way home, a load of wood in their hands, letting him know not to be long.

Sesshoumaru suddenly had a familiar scent in his nose, one he couldn’t place. As he headed in the direction of the smell, he could slowly hear the whispering of voices. He ever so quietly approached a small hot spring, in which a dark haired wolf demon sat across from an abnormally pale one, who had its legs swishing around in the water.

“But what about Naru? He can’t possibly know about her.” Kaji said, propping himself up with the palms of his hands behind him.

“No, he doesn’t. He doesn’t even remember me, so there should be no need to worry about hiding her.” Aine replied, her gaze intense as she watched the water. “He looks okay…Sad, but okay.” Aine said, her voice suddenly growing hoarse.

Kaji stood up and placed a hand on Aine’s shoulder. “It’ll be okay Lady Aine.”

Sesshoumaru held the faint scent of salt in his nose as he walked away quickly, the deer limply bouncing over the rocks behind him. Who was she talking about? Who wouldn’t remember her? And, who was this ‘Naru’ girl? Sesshoumaru found himself disgusted he was even interested in her business. Just thinking about her made his blood boil to an unbelievable extent. No one could enrage him quite like she could.
~~~~~

After the group had ate and drank, they all slowly went to bed. Shippo, as usual, stayed up a tad late to get some sketching in. Sesshoumaru, however, didn’t realize this.

Aine had gotten up and quietly tip-toed out of the cave. Sesshoumaru, after she was about ten yards from the cave, stood to follow. She was a very quick runner, Sesshoumaru thought as he lost sight of her, therefore her scent was the only way to keep track of her.

Later he could faintly smell the scent of another demon. It was so familiar…He knew this smell…

Suddenly he stopped. Aine and the other demon, who he determined was female, began to speak.

“Naru, please, hurry to Saruwatari and tell him we shall arrive by tomorrow evening.”

Sesshoumaru could now see clearly through the trees. Aine held the quite short girl in an embrace. The moonlight shone brightly down on them. His eyes widened ever so slightly, noticing how much she looked like Aine. Her skin was as pale as the moon, her hair was so white it was almost blonde, however it was long and straight. She was about the size of a human thirteen year old, but she was younger than such.

“Yes mother.” Naru said. Naru turned to place her cheek against her mothers chest, her face now in his direction.

Sesshoumaru’s eyes widened when the moon revealed her face.

Her eyebrows were thin and arched at the end. Her nose was long and straight, her chin came into a small point. Her cheek bones were set high, and her lips were full and had a slight pout to them. A crescent moon sat in the middle of her forehead, and her eyes shone the most brilliant of gold.