InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Morning ❯ Morning ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]

A small vignette, thought up randomly and written in about a half hour. I've entertained the idea of writing an Inuyasha fan fiction for some time now, but could never really pull out any ideas that interested me enough to send them out into the world. But I like this one. I hope you do.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Morning

By SaiyanBlack

~*~*~*~*

He stared.

For some odd reason that was all he could do.

He lay on the warm, soft bed in a room of pinks and yellows. It was a definite change from his usual tree and the sparkling night sky, but he found himself thinking that it wasn't better - just interestingly different. He still lay awake most of the night, though without the dangers of his time he found himself somewhat idle. The sounds of the shrine house had stopped before he even entered through the window, although Kagome had still been awake at her desk reading or something.

At the moment though, it was nearly dawn and light was just beginning to touch the outside of the screened window of Kagome's bedroom. But he still continued to stare at the face next his with its delicate cheekbones and long, dark lashes. Her hair fell across the pillow and her shoulders, just a few strands touching the smooth skin along her jaw line. Her lips were parted only a breath, gentle puffs of air blowing against his face as she slumbered on into the early morning.

The house around them was starting to wake, noises from her grandfather as he descended the stairs into the house and out the front door into the shrine. Her mother was in the bathroom - not the one that he had used once, but a different one on the other side of the house. The kid, Sota, was still asleep in the room next to Kagome's and would probably stay like that until either his noise-making-thing or his mother woke him up. Still though, the young woman next to him continued on in her peaceful sleep, unable to hear and smell the things he did as the city around the shrine started the day.

His golden eyes never once strayed from her face as the morning light crept farther into the room and the sounds of people and those metal carriages became even loud enough for her to hear with her human senses. In the room next door, Sota woke to the smell of the morning meal wafting up the stairs from the kitchen, where - he noted - the boy's mother had been for some time after coming out of her bedroom earlier.

A change in her breathing alerted him that his focus for the night was finally waking up, or near to it. It was several minutes, in which he watched with fascination, before her eyelids fluttered and slowly rose for her smoky blue eyes to meet his. Several thoughts passed over her face, none of which he really saw, but in the end she just smiled - a warm smile that seemed to fill him from inside, out.

She leaned her head forward, touching the tip of her nose to his, just slightly pressing her forehead against his and whispered the first three words of his day.

"Good morning, Inuyasha."