InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Devotion ❯ Blood of Silk ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sorry to n-infinity for taking so long. I know it's been forever. Please forgive me and pay many, many thanks to Renevatio-san for getting this chapter out to you guys. Don't know how much longer until the next chapter, but exam week is coming up. Just keep that in mind. ;) So, without further ado, R&R

Blood of Silk
InuYasha and everyone else made their way to the front of the castle. The intruders were approaching fast in vast numbers and on wings.
“They're here for Rin. I don't know why and I don't know what will happen if they get their hands on her,” said Souten.
“Then we won't let them get that far.”
Souten and InuYasha exchanged smirking glances. “Alright, so here's the plan. InuYasha and I will take care of the first wave. Kagome, as soon as we've done that, shoot an arrow straight down the center of their ranks. Then, Shippo's shape shifting abilities might be helpful. He can get into their ranks through Kagome's shot and take off a few, but quickly before they close it off. This will create some confusion. As soon as they're confused Shippo, get out of there so we can hit them with a lot of attacks. It might not take care of all of them, but it will be enough until the western land soldiers get here. Then we'll regroup.”
Everyone agreed to it. There were flaws, Souten had to admit, but it was the best any of them could have come up with on such short notice. If only the silkworm demons couldn't fly…
“We only have one shot at this, guys. Get it right. Ready?” Everyone nodded. “InuYasha, let's go.”
Everyone knew their positions, and the plan went off as well as could be expected. Souten and InuYasha ran up together. They simultaneously released their attacks. Testusaiga pulsed and slowly formed into a whole blade of fragmented crystals that InuYasha swung to attack. The many shards of spear-like crystals shot out with the ability to penetrate any barrier, taking out a fair amount of the Silkworm Demons.
Souten had built her power while they charged toward the intruders. It was kind of like blocking a river and then letting the water out through a hole in the middle of the dam. She stopped and shoved the Thunder Pike into the ground, letting her energy flow up the rod and out the top. Electricity shot straight up from the Pike and upon encountering its first target, leapt from demon to demon with exponentially less power than the first strike.
Demons fell from the sky. As they tried to reform their ranks, Kagome's purifying arrow flew straight and true as Souten collapsed against her weapon from the amount of energy she had used in one attack. This is where the plan fell apart. Shippo noticed his future mate's weakened state and went to her instead of to his position. Of course, this part of the plan was essential. Creating confusion was to be the most time consuming diversion of the routine and Shippo had blown it.
The Silkworm Demons were quick to close the gap and formulate an offensive attack. Groups of them dove at the small group at a time. InuYasha jumped to knock Kagome out of the way before she was slashed to pieces by the onslaught of demons rushing at her at such a speed that she could not set and release her arrow a meter before they would have been upon her. They hit the ground together with an, “Oof!”
Kami must have favored them that day because even with Shippo's costly mistake, the Western Land warriors were prompt enough to stop the Silkworm demons from running through InuYasha and the rest of them. InuYasha rolled out of the way with Kagome and righted himself, cradling the priestess in his arms. He set her on her feet gently and cursed under his breath as he saw more of silkworm demons breaking through the forest. There were thousands of the things with grey, glistening, scaly with a type of mucus over it. Claws for hands and feet, small papery wings that barely had the strength to fly. They looked more like bugs than actual demons, very large bugs. Drawing the Tetsuaiga from it's sheath, he leaned back the sword held at an angle facing up.
“Everybody stay together. Don't let them break through,” the Tetsusaiga glowed briefly as InuYasha tensed up for the Wind Scar, “Kagome!” InuYasha brought down the blade in a downward swipe, splitting the wind. A bright yellow blade of energy flew from the tip, to be joined shortly by Kagome's purifying arrow. It struck the formation of demons head on, scattered body parts and wings as the intruders fell from the sky, the formation of the demons breaking for a moment before regrouping.
Souten leaped in front of him and he saw the tip of her spear glowing brightly, crackling with lighting. She raised it above her head, twirling it about in a circle before bringing it down a vicious slash. Twin bolts of lighting flew from the tip of the blade, but were joined by Shippo's fox fire as soon they lighting emerged. The attack sent the newly reformed formation scattering to the winds again.
Sango and Miroku were flying towards the silkworm demons, carried by Kirara. Flying to the right, Sango threw her Hiraikotsu in the opposite direction, cutting through the midsection of each silkworm demon that it struck. Miroku focused his attack on the right with a massive cry of “Wind Tunnel!” before pulling off the sacred beads on his right hand, unleashing the black hole that began to suck up the demons.
“InuYasha!” He turned his head to see Kagome being swarmed by demons. He ran forward and then jumped, landing directly in front of her. Slashing out with the Tetsusaiga, InuYasha bared his claws on his right hand, “Iron Reaver Soul Stealer!” The demon shredded from head to toe. Another one immediately took it's place and InuYasha swung horizontally, cutting it viciously in two. An arrow grazed by his ear, the holy energy burning him slightly. The arrow tore through the heads of three demons. Placing his weight on his back foot, InuYasha reared the sword back and then swung in a downward arc, “Wind Scar!” With the demons gone, he turned back to Kagome to complain about the proximity of her arrow to his ear, but upon seeing her body drenched in blood, some her own, most of it belonging to the demons, he forgot .
Picking her up and slinging her over his shoulder, he jumped towards Shippo and Souten, “Guys, take Kagome to where Rin is and watch over both of them,” he ordered desperately. Putting Kagome on her feet, InuYasha placed her between the two, Kagome's arms looped around Shippo and Souten's shoulders. After seeing that they were moving to the palace, he jumped back into the fray, swinging Tetsusaiga back and forth wildly, cleaving more demons from head to toe.

Rin was clutching at the bedsheets, the maddening voice in her head continuing to drone on. Rip, rend, kill. Rip, rend, kill. She heard the slight ripping sound of her bed sheets being torn as her fingers lengthened into claws. She tried to fight back against the demon instincts raging through her blood, but they were too strong, the call to defend her unborn child too great.
Her eyes flew open, blood red in color, a fierce rage behind them. Her teeth grew and sharpened into fangs; purple markings appearing on her face in the same shape as her mate's. She leapt from the bed and to the door, the urge to kill the demons that threatened her child consuming her mind and body. Rip, rend, kill. She burst through the door, tearing it to shreds with her demon strength. Vaguely registering someone calling out to her, she continued to walk forward, her demonic aura stifling the air.
Someone stood in front of her. She bared her teeth in a snarl as this person decided in vain to hold her back. With a quick flash of her claws, she removed the offending arm that was placed on her from it's socket. Rip, rend, kill.

InuYasha, stood side by side with Miroku and Sango. The other two were panting heavily, leaning on their weapons. Kirara, let out a small whimper as she reverted back to her kitten form, the energy of the fight having left her. Sango picked her up and held her close to her body.
“InuYasha, there's too many of them.” Sango's voice was harsh, her breathing heavy. InuYasha knew she wouldn't be able to do much more. He looked to Miroku to see him standing up.
“I'll see what I can do to take out some more. Stand back…” Miroku began to take off the sacred beads and wrap them around the head of the staff. He focused his attack at the sky, holy energy sparking in small blue bolts, electrifying the air and demonic auras. it was a technique he had practiced after watching Ungai-sama and his assisting monks attempt to destroy Sesshoumaru. Of course, Sesshoumaru was a tai-youkai so the attempt was futile, but on less powerful demons, it was a very useful trick. He released the energy and all at once the silkworm demons were aflame from the energy penetrating their auras. They fell to the ground with a hideous shriek, but dissappeared into blue flames before they made it there.
Miroku collapsed to the ground. Sango rushed to him and immediately started to comfort him. That took an extraordinary amount of power and he had yet to master it. Miroku doubted he ever would without training. A grim smile came on InuYasha's face as the battle was over. It was wiped away as he heard a loud buzzing sound coming from over the forest. He saw a lone silkworm demon.It's just one, not too much of a problem. He took a step forward and immediately stopped. Thousands more of the demons joined up with the other one, forming a new formation to attack.
“Sango! You and Miroku get out of here.” He saw her open her mouth to protest, “Miroku's exhausted and you're not far behind. You won't be much help here.”
Sango closed her mouth and gave InuYasha a tight nod. Bearing some of Miroku's weight on her shoulder and clutching Kirara to her chest, she turned and started running as fast as she could to the palace.
InuYasha turned back to the Silkworm demons and gave a feral smile. Holding the sword horizontally, he tensed his shoulders and poured some of his demonic energy into the blade. The Tetsusaiga started to harden, turning silver, crystallizing due to the energy flowing through. InuYasha reared the blade back, then swung forward, “ADAMANT BARRAGE!” The crystal cocoon on the blade broke apart, huge shards of silver flying towards the demon horde.Let's see how fast I can kill `em. Holding the sword in front of him, InuYasha dashed towards the demons.

Kagome was barely conscious, her vision fading in and out. She barely noted that she was already in the palace. Swiveling her head to the left and right, she saw Shippo and Souten carrying her. They were in a long hall and she saw large wooden doors at the end of it, a picture of the great demon dog adorning the door. A small smile came on her face as she remembered InuYasha's words to get her to safety.
It vanished from her face as she saw the same doors burst outwards, chips of wood blowing apart from the hinges. She saw someone standing in the doorway, their body hunched, tense as if ready to attack. She couldn't make out the face, her vision kept swimming and the person was too far away. She saw blurry images, one trying to hold the figure in the doorway and then the same person having his arm ripped out. The figure in the doorway started walking towards them and she was able to make out who it was.
“Rin..?”
Shippo and Souten turned to Rin and saw that it was her, but she looked different. They started to move to her, but were stopped by Kagome. Souten tried to fight Kagome's grip, but she was holding on with such strength that it would leave a bruise for tomorrow.
“What's the matter with you Kagome?! Can't you see that something's wrong with her?”
“Don't…do anything. She's…a demon…she turned…” Kagome saw the looks of shock on their faces, but she kept going with her explanation, “She turned…full demon…like InuYasha…I don't know why…but whatever you…do, don't…get in her way.”
“Can't you try and turn her back, Kagome? Like you do with InuYasha?” Shippo's voice was timid. He had seen what InuYasha could do when he turned full demon and if Rin was the same way…
“No…I don't know her that…well. Sesshoumaru probably…does, but he's not here…right now. All we can do…is get out of her way.” She dragged them over to the side of the hall, clear from Rin's path. Kagome collapsed on the floor, her head brushing against Shippo's legs. The last thing she saw before she blacked out was Rin's red eyes.

Rip, rend, kill. Rin continued to strive forward towards the sounds of battle. Bloodlust and excitement pumping through her body, craving for her to shed the blood of those that threatened her child. Several people stood in her way, but they moved out of her sight. She spared them a glance and saw that they were not the ones that threatened her.
Stepping up to the door, she splayed her hands on them and pushed, the wooden doors easily parting under her strength. She stepped out and gave a content sigh at the sight before her. Bodies of the ones that endangered her child, littered the ground; their weapons scattered throughout the field.
Two people were moving towards. She gave a low growl as they stopped in front of her. She dashed towards them and wrapped a hand around each of their throats. Tightening her grip, so they didn't break away, she brought them closer to her. The smell of demon blood flooded her senses. Rip, rend, kill. Her eyes flared up, ready to tear them, limb from limb, but then she smelled it. Humans. No danger, no harm. She released them from her grip and strolled forward towards the red and silver blur that was fighting the demons. Another scent hit her senses.Half-demon. Another low growl from her throat.He fights the harmful ones. No danger. She began to walk forward again, eager to spill blood.
One of the demon's caught her attention and it strayed from the horde and flew towards her, brandishing it's arms laden with weapons. She gave a growl as it reached her. Rip, rend, kill. She grabbed the demon by its neck, halting it's advance. She lifted it up high in the air, ready to rip it from neck to navel, when another scent hit her senses.Mate. Her ears perked up, listening for the sound of his arrival. Tossing the demon back to the horde, she scanned the skies for sight of her mate. A ball of light caught her eye as it traveled at incredible speeds, bearing towards her.
Her mate appeared in front of her, glorious in his silver robes, his blade bare and ready for battle. She rushed to him and captured him in a fierce embrace, a content sigh leaving her mouth as his scent filled her mind, “Sesshoumaru…,” her vision left her and she collapsed against his body.

Sheathing the Tenseiga, Sesshoumaru looked at the woman in his arms. He paid special attention to the marking on her face, similar to his own, as they vanished; her fangs withdrawing and going back to normal size, the same with her claws, reversing back to her dainty fingers. He picked her up and cradled her in his arms. Pressing his nose to her hair, he inhaled her scent. He exhaled in relief as she no longer smelled of demon. He moved towards the palace at a leisurely pace, knowing that InuYasha, for all of his stupidity, was more than capable of giving him a few moments of time.
Stepping inside he noted the fearful expressions on the faces of the palace guards and servants, watching as they were replaced with small smiles upon seeing him and Rin, no longer in demon form, in his arms. He looked to his right and saw the demon hunter, the amorous monk, the timid fox demon, the brash thunder demon, and the wench of InuYasha. He moved towards them and spoke his words quickly and harshly. The fox demon was the one to respond with the story of what had happened and how the silkworm demons came for his mate.
He gave a low and fierce growl as he recalled the words to the prophecy and realized how close it was to coming true. He did not know what would happen if it did, but he did not like fate and how it could take away his free will and that of his mate. Moving towards the guards, he saw one clutching his shoulder. His gaze lowered to the ground and he saw the formerly attached arm, bleeding onto the white stone of the floor. Placing her in the arms of a guard with two arms, he commanded them to take her to his quarters and to watch over her.
He moved back to the palace doors, a cold smile coming across his features as he unsheathed Tokijin. His blood rarely ran warm, but on the occasion that it did, he felt obliged to let it run. This time, demons had dared to attack his mate. They did not cause her harm, but the intent was there and thus they had to be repaid with due cause. Rushing forward to join his idiot half-brother, Sesshoumaru started carving a bloody path through the demons. He saw to his left that InuYasha was doing the same as him.Does he protect the wench?...or does he protect Rin?
He leaped back from the demons and stood in the middle of the field. He felt InuYasha putting his back against his as the demons moved to close in on them.
“Took you long enough to get here. It's not like I need your help, I can take care of these guys by myself.”
“Oh yes, brother. If you're as strong as you say you are then you should have gotten rid of these vermin within moments.” He heard InuYasha growl in annoyance.
“I was just biding my time so I could show you how strong I've become.”
“All you've managed to do is show me how inept you are and how much you need my help.”
“Hey! Who was the guy that chopped off your stupid arm?!”
“You mean this arm?” He raised the cursed arm that his idiotic half-brother had cut off. He heard another growl of annoyance from InuYasha as he remembered that his arm had been restored. “Now cease your babbling, you infernal half-twit.” He heard InuYasha mutter something under his breath, but he paid it no mind. He held Tokijin in front of him and tensed his shoulders, letting his demonic energy fill the blade. He felt InuYasha do the same and he unleashed his attack at the same as InuYasha, “Dragon Strike!” His attack and the fabled “Wind Scar” joined together and struck at the heart of the demon formation. Their pitiful screams ringing through the air. The demons formed back together, but they were only a hundred left from the thousand upon thousands that had been there just seconds before.
They fled from the battle field when they realized that they could not do anything to the demon brothers. Sesshoumaru put the Tokijin back it's sheathe and turned back towards the palace, thoughts of Rin running through his mind.

okey doke. i was alerted to a mistake on my part and i have fixed it and am re-updating. sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.
 
By the way. Go to: http://www.brickfish.com/Pages/PhotosAlbums/PhotoView.asp x?picid=629251_75288101&pid=79627&scid=276
 
And vote for me.