InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Nightmares ❯ Chapter Eleven ( Chapter 11 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: People always say they don't own Inuyasha. So, what about Kagome?
 
Chapter Eleven
 
Kagome had been sleeping for several hours by now. Inuyasha was a little worried, but he detected nothing strange in her scent, so he figured she was just sleeping off the dream.
 
Damn youkai. I knew I should have finished him off.
 
She could have- she was in such a mess when I found her. What if I hadn't? The rain was going to hard, and she was so cold, so close to being lost.
 
Of course I would have found her. I always do.
 
Sure. It was blind luck the led you to that park.
 
But I found her, and she's going to be okay. That's what's important, right?
 
And what if something like this happens again? You really could lose her, baka.
 
Inuyasha tightened his grip on the unconscious girl.
 
I don't think I could stand to lose her.
 
~Flashback~
 
He had brought her back after cleaning up at the hot springs, and she had fallen asleep in his arms while he was running through the woods. Nestled in his haori, she had seemed so peaceful, so happy. He in turn was happy that she had found happiness and peace with him.
 
He had woken around dawn with a feeling of utter dread coursing through him. It had been so much that he was whining, trying to find the problem.
 
The first place he had glanced was at the girl nestled in his arms, but Kagome seemed fine. She was still out cold, but after their activities last night he wasn't surprised.
 
Another feeling of dread coursed through him, and he whined again.
 
Suddenly his eyes widened.
 
The mark? Is it trying to tell me something? This feels the same as the time it led me to Kagome when she was kidnapped.
 
He frowned.
 
But she's sleeping. And she seems really happy, so I don't see how...
 
He immediately turned to her, and raised her face.
 
Salt hit his sensitive nose.
 
Tears? What the he-
 
Tears were running down Kagome's face, and she whimpered softly. Inuyasha was dragged down by a sudden feeling of absolute sorrow; sadness so profound he almost couldn't move.
 
He shook her gently, then harder when she wouldn't wake.
 
“Kagome” he whispered. “Kagome, wake up, Kagome.” His voice rose to the level where he was hysterical.
 
But she wouldn't wake. He held on to her, rocking her, his eyes filled with tears.
 
Suddenly miko power coursed through her body, and he was blown away from her. He hit a tree across the clearing hard, and slumped to the ground. The noise also woke Sango and Miroku, who tried to blink sleep from their eyes as Inuyasha rushed to his feet and back to Kagome.
 
He could feel what he knew was Kagome's heart breaking. Noo.. please Kagome, no. I'm here, please.
 
The feeling of her sorrow was so painful for him. He'd failed, she was crying and hurting. Not only that, he had no idea how to help her.
 
“Inuyasha?”
 
He turned an ear to Sango, who was trying to talk to him, but he barely heard her.
 
A hand settled on his shoulder, and he turned to face her. If he weren't so lost, he would have noticed that Sango was really worried about him.
 
“What's wrong?”
 
“Kagome.” He managed to choke out. “She-she-it hurts.”
 
Miroku gently laid his hand on Kagome's forehead, ignoring Inuyasha's growl.
 
“There is a spell on her.” He said quietly.
 
“How do you fix it?” Inuyasha asked.
 
“I don't know.” Miroku admitted. “I've never seen anything like this before.”
 
“We can't just leave her like this.” Inuyasha cried.
 
“Kagome-chan.” Sango murmured.
 
Kagome was still crying, and her entire soul seemed to cry out in pain. Even Sango and Miroku couldn't look at her for very long without hurting.
 
Suddenly Shippo launched himself at Kagome, landing on her chest.
 
“Kagome! Kagome! What's wrong with her? What's wrong? Why doesn't she wake up?” Shippo was hysterical, because his foster mother wouldn't wake, and because of the drawn pain in the three faces around him.
 
Inuyasha took Kagome in his arms, and wrapped the haori closer around her shivering flesh. Tears dripped from his face down onto her cheek, running off.
 
The four friends kept vigil around her, unsure of what to do but unable to leave her alone.
 
0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0
 
The sun was sinking below the horizon, setting the sky aflame with red and orange light. It was a beautiful sunset, but no one in the camp was enjoying it.
 
Inuyasha had not left Kagome's side since that morning. Sango and Miroku had made lunch, and then taken Shippo off for a walk, partially to explain to let Shippo run off his excess energy, and to give Inuyasha some privacy with Kagome.
 
It was on said excursion that Miroku suddenly stopped in the center of the path. Sango and Shippo both turned back, and gave him curious looks. Miroku did not appear to notice; instead he turned on his heel and ran back to camp.
 
That just might work.
 
He ran until he was right by Inuyasha, shaking him slightly to wake him form his stupor.
 
“Inuyasha! Inuyasha!”
 
“What, Miroku?”
 
“Am I correct that you and Kagome-sama have joined?”
 
Inuyasha growled slightly.
 
Miroku shook his head. “I'm not being lecherous. If you have, then there is a spell I can use that might help Kagome-sama!”
 
“Miroku, you're a genius!” Inuyasha cried, insanely happy. He felt it cut through the sorrow that had clouded Kagome's world.
 
“What does it take?” he asked.
 
“Hold on.” Miroku said, before standing and performing some rite. Inuyasha wasn't really paying attention, he was too happy that he might be able to save Kagome.
 
“There.” Miroku concluded.
 
Inuyasha looked up at him, noting in slight alarm that Miroku was starting to fade.
 
“You're going to enter Kagome-sama's world. You have to find her, and save her. Hurry Inuyasha!”
 
Miroku, and the clearing, vanished, and Inuyasha felt himself falling through clouds. He closed his eyes.
 
When he opened them, he was standing in front of Goshinboku, in Kagome's time. Not only that, it was night, and pouring rain. He immediately ran to Kagome's room, but the light was off, the window locked, curtains drawn. He ran around to the door and entered, running past Kagome's family, who gave him curious glances, hauling up the stairs, and ripping her door open.
 
Her room was empty.
 
Damn! Where in the hell is she? Its raining so hard outside, I'm not gonna be able to track her if she's not here…blast it all!
 
Inuyasha unlocked her window and jumped out, running to the only other place he thought she would be.
 
He was wrong.
 
The well house was bare, not only that, her scent was not there. She hadn't been to the well house in a long time.
 
He exited, sliding the panel shut behind him. He walked out into the rain, and stood at the top of the steps, watching it rain over her Tokyo.
 
He sniffed, trying to catch her scent.
 
Nothing.
 
To his chagrin, he felt himself crying again. He suddenly realized that he wasn't wet.
 
I've been standing here for a while now, but I'm not wet?
 
He stuck out his hand, and stared in horror when the rain just slid off him. Upon looking around, he was also too bright. He seemed to glow in contrast with the gray, muggy closeness of the rain.
 
Inuyasha raised his head and howled.
 
I failed her again. I can't find her. She's gone…
 
He collapsed to his knees, and laid his forehead against the cool stone.
 
Suddenly, something yanked him off his knees and down one step. He looked out across the metal structures, and in a small niche he saw a dark cloud, darker than everything around it. Once his eyes settled on it, he couldn't turn away.
 
Kagome…
 
Another wave of pain settled through him, and he felt her heart breaking afresh.
 
Mate…hurts…
 
Inuyasha didn't stop to consider what the voice was, he just took off, leaping down the steps and into the night.
 
He ran for what felt like an eternity, because it seemed like Kagome didn't get any closer. However, he was soon standing right in front of her, her crumpled form resting in the mud at the foot of some structure.
 
Without a thought he pulled her out of the mud and laid her out of the wooden structure. She moaned, and fought him. Her eyes were open, but unseeing.
 
“Kagome, Kagome, it's me. Don't fight me, please.” He pleaded with her. She stilled, but he felt so much pain run through him.
 
“No, Inuyasha. I hurt, I hurt so bad. Please just leave me.” She whimpered. He felt pain running through her into him. He nearly cried at the pain.
 
“I can't leave you here Kagome. You just have to come with me. That's all I ask. Just come with me, come on, you can do it.” He reached under her, and lifted her limp form into his arms, against his chest. She sobbed.
 
However, he felt her throw her arms around his neck, and hide her face in his chest. Those little actions inspired hope in him, warming him. Suddenly she stiffened, and looked up at him, evidently seeing for the first time.
 
“Why are you dry, Inuyasha?”
 
He was so shocked that when she pulled out of his arms and ran off he was barely able to stay on his feet. That only lasted for a moment, as he was soon chasing after her.
 
He tackled her from behind, and bore her to the ground. In the process her collar lifted away from her shoulder, and he was shocked to see that the mark was gone.
 
Gone….wait, no its not. Something is blocking it.
 
He immediately bit into her shoulder, breaking through the barrier and puncturing his mark. He felt the connection intensify, and he called out to her, not realizing that he didn't use his mouth.
 
Koishii, its me.
 
Who, who are you?
 
Don't you remember, Inuyasha, your mate.
 
But, that was a dream, only a dream. It wasn't real.
 
Come back to me, koishii. I'm here, he did a good job of casting the illusion, but if you stay with me I can get you out of this. Isn't coming with me better than laying on the ground like this?
 
Yes, I suppose.
 
Wake up then. Come back with me and wake up.
 
He felt Kagome surrender to him, and he was floating through clouds again.
 
0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0
 
When he awoke, it was late morning. Kagome was nestled in his arms, though he felt that she was happy.
 
He held her for a long time, only coming out of it when Sango and Miroku had questioned him. He had answered their questions, and pulled out Kagome's sleeping bag. He tucked her in, before pulling off the haori and his undershirt, knowing he would feel better if he could feel the heat of her skin on his. not only that, she had been so cold when he found her, he wanted to make her warm again.
 
He awoke again as the sun was going down, feeling Kagome snuggling him. He smiled for the first time since the ordeal started, and cuddled her to his chest.
 
~End Flashback~
 
Inuyasha opened his eyes, and the first thing they settled on was Kagome's black hair. He smiled happily, and nuzzled her. Suddenly he picked up a familiar scent drawing closer. He shot from the bag, and landed on top of Kagome, snarling.
 
“So pleased to see me, Inuyasha?”
 
“Why the fuck are you here, Sesshomaru?”
 
“Inuyasha, what-?”
 
Inuyasha ran his hands down, holding the now awake Kagome by her shoulders. He gently pushed her back into the sleeping bag.
 
“I don't come to harm you, brother.”
 
Inuyasha growled again. “Then what do you want, bastard?”
 
Sesshomaru gave what could best be described as an annoyed sigh, and gazed at him.
 
“It concerns your mate, brother.”
 
Inuyasha growled fiercer, and held Kagome even harder.
 
Sesshomaru's eyes narrowed. “Don't tell me you didn't notice the attack on her?”
 
“What of it?” Inuyasha snarled.
 
“She is undamaged, I presume?”
 
Inuyasha gaped for several seconds, even releasing his hold on Kagome. She took the opportunity to reach behind him and grab his haori, fastening it around her. She rose to her feet and stood beside him.
 
“I'm fine.” Kagome stated calmly. Inuyasha turned and gaped at her.
 
Sesshomaru turned his eyes away from Inuyasha and onto Kagome.
 
“The youkai is dead, It is good that you are unharmed.”
 
Sesshomaru turned, but looked back towards the still gaping Inuyasha.
 
“Don't expect me to save your mate again, brother.” His eyes shifted. “Miko, keep the baka in line.”
 
With that Sesshomaru was gone.
 
Inuyasha was still gaping for several minutes, while Kagome seemed lost in thought.
 
She finally broke from her trance and turned to face him. She gently put her hand on his shoulder. He wrapped his arms around her and tugged her into his chest.
 
“I can't believe the bastard actually did something nice.” Inuyasha mumbled.
 
Kagome smiled.
 
“I think that he cares about you, at least a little.”
 
“Maybe.” Inuyasha sighed. He gazed off into space again.
 
Kagome gazed down, also thinking. A frown crossed her features. The dream was still fresh in her memory, and she still wasn't sure what was going on. The memory of the dream Inuyasha still hurt.
 
She was suddenly pulled into strong arms and cuddled against his chest. He nuzzled her neck. She smiled and rubbed his ears.
 
Inuyasha finally pulled away enough that he could whisper in her ear.
 
“Well, what do you want to do?”
 
“I'm hungry.” She grinned more.
 
“For food?”
 
“Of course, silly, what els- Ohhhh.” Her eyes widened, and she blushed.
 
“Maybe after we eat.” She leaned up and kissed him.
 
Inuyasha kissed her back, and nuzzled her again, running his hands under her shirt. She giggled.
 
“What turned you into such a hentai?”
 
She smiled seductively.
 
“Only for you, Kagome.”
 
ThE eNd
 
Yeehaa! Its over. The rest is left to your imagination. Woot, I am happy now. I should go eat something other than Cocoa Puffs. They tend to make me hyper for a long time…Much love, thanks for all the wonderful support.-Akihana