InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Nothing Gold Can Stay ❯ So Dawn Goes Down To Day ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Okay, final chapter.

Disclaimer: Nothing is mine except the concept.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))))))))))

~ So Dawn Goes Down To Day ~

The events from earlier that day would never leave his mind. He had come to the forest to get away from it, but it followed. It would forever more he guessed. It really should have been a wonderful occasion, but it wasn't. That day, Kagome had returned to him. He had been sitting in a tree watching the well. It had become a daily ritual. He hadn't really expected to see her face ever again, but he couldn't get away from that spot. The possibility was always there. Then, she had just popped out of the well. Just like always. But it wasn't just like always. Things had changed. She was older, more beautiful. Her figure had filled out, and her face had the look of maturity on it. It was the mark of age. He had jumped down to meet her.

"You're late." It had been all he could think of to say. He expected her first words to him to be something along the lines of, "I'm sorry," or, "I've missed you."

"My god! You haven't changed at all." She was right. He wasn't really a human. He had lived nearly three times as long as she, and he looked exactly the same as when she had last laid eyes on him.

"What are you doing here?" He had really wanted to know why she came back. Did she miss him? Did she come to apologize and confess her love?

"Inuyasha, things have changed since I was last here. I came to tell you good-bye a final time." Those words had wrenched his heart. A final time?

"Why, Kagome? Why would you do that?"

"I have grown up, Inuyasha. I am out of school now. I am somebody's wife." Those words had shocked him. Kagome, the love of his life, had taken a husband, and that man was not him. He should have noticed. Her scent had changed to inter mingle with his.

"But…" He had been unable to continue. He had no words to express how he was feeling.

"Hojo is a good man. I came to give you this." She handed him the Shikon no Tama.

"Why?"

"Because it was yours all along. I was just to selfish to give it to you." She had walked up to him and caught him in an embrace. Then, just as quickly, returned to the lip of the well.

"I will never forget you, Inuyasha. Good-bye." And with that, she had gone. Inuyasha had not responded to her farewell. He had just stood there for a while, then walked into the forest.

He looked up from his place on the stump, though the bare trees. A few birds that were early from their southern sojourn sang in the branches. Inuyasha tightened his grip on the small trinket in his hand. He got up and began to head back toward the well. It was almost funny. He had been searching for sixty years for that jewel. It was all he could think about for the longest time. But as of late, Kagome had been the only thing on his mind. Then she came back and gave him the jewel, only to reveal that she was unavailable to him.

When he reached the well, he looked down at the small sphere in his palm. There was so much it could do. It had almost infinite power. But in his hand it was only a glass ball. It was too late. His everlasting youth kept him from what he needed. Even if Kagome was to separate from Hojo, he now appeared to be eight years her junior. She would grow old and die, and he would still be the same. He stared at the jewel for a moment more then threw it vehemently down the well.

"You can't give me what I want now." And with that, he walked away.

~ Nothing Gold Can Stay ~

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))) ))))))))))))))))))))))))))

A/N: Well that's it. I just really wanted to incorporate the poem somehow. I was tired of all the poem/song fics in which people set the scene, change one word in the song, add one line of dialogue, and call it original. It just bothers me. Sorry about that little rant. Most song fics are good; it's just those few. Grrrrr. Anyway, thanks for reading. Please tell me what you think. Review people!