InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Nothing Gold Can Stay ❯ Then Leaf Subsides To Leaf ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

And the story moves forward.

Disclaimer: Again with the seeing of chapter 1

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))

~ Then Leaf Subsides To Leaf ~

Kagome would usually spend a week in Inuyasha's time and then go back home for three days. Eventually, she switched her routine. She started spending less and less time with him. She had told him of more important things she had to do. He didn't know what exams and senior research projects were, but he hated them. They kept her away from him. They kept her home.

But they weren't the only reason her visits had become less frequent, and he knew it. He had heard her speak of a man named Hojo many times with Sango. She appeared so happy when she spoke of him. She never knew Inuyasha was listening. He would hide above her in the trees. Or maybe she did, and was saying those things to upset him. But that would mean she cared about him, and her affections had been steadily waning since the jewel's completion. This had hurt him. He cringed as he thought about it. He had tried so hard to be nice to her, but it was strained. Nice wasn't who he was. Angry, loud, overbearing, yes. But not nice. He was also desperately jealous, and that made being nice harder.

Then one day, she stopped coming all together. He waited for her everyday as usual. Then days turned into weeks. Weeks turned into months. Months turned into a whole season. Autumn had come and gone, and Kagome hadn't returned.

"I can't take it anymore." He laughed about those words in the yellow forest. He had been very angry.

"She said she would be gone a while this time," Sango had told him. This had only made him more upset. Didn't she care? How could she be so calm about this? Of course, Sango didn't love Kagome like he did. No one did.

"It's already been a while." With that, his emotions had taken over. Kagome had asked him not to come get her anymore. She had said if she didn't come, there was a good reason. But he couldn't help it. He had needed to see her. It had been too long.

The moment he had entered her house, he knew something was wrong. Her smell was so weak, like she hadn't been there for a long time.

"Inuyasha, what are you doing here?" It had been Kagome's mother, greeting him like she had seen him only the day before, not months ago.

"I came to take Kagome back." He had been so sure of himself. He would walk right in and take her.

"Oh, Inuyasha, I'm sorry. Didn't she tell you? Kagome's away. She went to college in America." His ignorance hurt him. What did she mean away?

"Where is this America? I will go there and get her." He had been so used to getting what he wanted. He had decided just to go to where she was.

"America is all the way across the ocean. You can't just go get her Inuyasha." That had broken his heart. She had betrayed him again. First she didn't give him the jewel. Then she leaves without telling him. Kagome's mother had spent a long time that day, explaining to Inuyasha exactly what college was, and had to replace her coffee table a week later. Apparently, four years away from Kagome was too much for him. But he had decided to wait.

Four years came and went, and Kagome didn't come back to him. He had watched, as his friends grew older. Sango and Miroku had married. She bore him four children. After the first one, he had stopped asking the question to everyone. Shippo grew too. He was away now, with his mate. Inuyasha laughed at that. Shippo had a mate. It was the thunder sister he had fought so long ago. It was only he that was alone. The chilly wind blew a little harder and ruffled his hair. It blew over his face. He was glad for that. He hated his face after what had happened earlier that day. Everyone else had grown but him. He was the same. Stuck in perpetual youth. Doomed to be forever seventeen.

~ So Eden Sank To Grief ~

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))) ))))))))))))))))))))))))))

A/N: One more chapter to go. Hope you like it so far. Please review.