InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Of Weapons and Smiths ❯ Weaponless ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of  their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended. In other words, I don't own and I make no money from this.

-------------------------

Originally posted to Inuyasha Fanfiction on February 27, 2012 for drabble #19 Weapon. Won 2nd place.

Title: Weaponless
Author: ananova
Word Count: 500
Prompt: Weapon
Genre: Action/Adventure
Rating: T
Warnings: Minor Language

Characters: Inuyasha and Kagome
Summary: A battle with an oni highlights just how fragile Kagome's weapons can be.

-----------------------


“Aah!” Kagome screamed and threw herself to the side as the oni they had been fighting launched itself at her. Her hands fumbled for an arrow.

And then Inuyasha was there, standing between her and the oni, Tessaiga held high as he growled at the youkai. “Oh no you don't! Kagome! Hurry up and shoot this thing!” He already knew from the brief battle that its skin was tough enough to resist his sword's blade and the Kaze no Kizu. He didn't want to use his weapon's more powerful attacks if he didn't have to. Those attacks would cause way too much damage to the fields and crops of the nearby village. He hoped Kagome's sacred arrows would be more effective against this thing's tough hide.

Kagome nodded, her face serious as she grasped her bow. Weapon ready, she reached into her quiver for an arrow, only to gasp in dismay. “Oh no,” she whispered as she stared at the broken arrow in her hand. Shifting her quiver so she could see its contents, her dismay increased as she saw how many of the arrows were broken.

Inuyasha frowned as he heard her whisper of dismay. His ear flicked back as he tried to determine the problem without taking his attention off the oni before him. “What's the holdup?”

“My arrows, they must have been damaged when I fell,” Kagome told him distractedly as she tried to salvage at least one arrow.

“Shit,” Inuyasha cursed at her news . “Not again.” Looked like he would have to try a more powerful attack after all.

However, the oni had also heard her words and grinned evilly. No longer having to fear a spiritual attack, it charged the two.

“Damn it.” Inuyasha leaped back, grabbing Kagome and dodged the attack. Glancing at his startled wife, he knew he had to get her to safety before he could deal with the oni.

But Kagome easily realized her husband's thoughts. “Wait Inuyasha,” she said as she showed him what she had found a moment earlier. One arrow, still intact, was clutched in her hand.

Inuyasha paused, his attention split between the bellowing oni and the arrow in her hand. “Only one?” he said doubtfully. “Will it be enough?”

“It'll have to be.” She flashed him a smile. “Trust me.”

“Keh. Always.” Setting her down, he readied his sword as she notched her own weapon. “Together.”

“Together,” she agreed, launching her arrow at the again charging oni.

“Kaze no Kizu!” Inuyasha called, unleashing his attack the moment she released the arrow. A moment later the battle was ended, the oni dust in the wind.

“Keh.” Inuyasha sheathed Tessaiga and watched as Kagome retrieved her quiver of broken arrows. That had been a bit too close. 'Might be time to pay Totosai a visit,' he thought as he eyed the damaged arrows. Wouldn't do to leave Kagome weaponless.