InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Oh, No! Not Another AU?! ❯ The Battle Begins ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Edited 7/28/04

~*A/N: Gomen nasai, minna! The past few weeks have been SOOO busy! And it doesn't look like my schedule will be getting any lighter until after Christmas. I probably won't post again until the 26th. Gomen! Another chapter, another box of pocky. "What's this obsession with pocky?" you may ask. Well, if you're asking that, then you've never had it. Pocky is food of the gods. Enough rambling, go, read, enjoy!*~

DISCLAIMER: Hey, if I owned any of this, would I be writing fanfiction for free? Unless you would like to pay me? Didn't think so.


Chapter Two: The Battle Begins

The girls had wormed their way through the crowd just as the last band was clearing the stage. The three boys were setting up their instruments, stage hands aiding Shippo with his drumset, as the announcer continued his spiel. "And now, all the way from Kyoto Central High School, 'HYN'!" The crowd clapped, slightly confused.

"Hine?" Kagome leaned to whisper in Sango's ear. "What the he-eck is that supposed to mean?" Sango merely shrugged in reply, turning her attention back to the boys onstage.

"Ano, that's 'H.Y.N.'," Inu-Yasha mumbled into his mic, spelling the letters out individually. A few fangirls positioned up front, centerstage, screamed his name, a few pretending to faint.

'Er, maybe they weren't pretending,' Kagome thought, eyeing the girls whose friends held them up, fanning their faces. Her attention was brought back to the silver-haired boy as he began to strum out a recognizable rhythm, quickly joined by Miroku on bass and Shippo on drums. Kagome rolled her eyes, leaning towards Sango to be heard over the music, "Give me a break. That song is over-played as it is."

"But I like this song," Sango replied as Inu-Yasha leaned into the mic, words flowing out of his mouth.

"He's drunk again, it's time to fight
She must have done something wrong tonight
The living room becomes a boxing ring
It's time to run when you see him
Clenching his hands, she's just a woman
Never again
I hear her scream from down the hall
Amazing she can even talk at all
She cries to me 'Go back to bed'
I'm terrifeid that she'll wind up
Dead in his hands, she's just a woman
Never again."

Despite herself, Kagome found herself singing along quietly, swaying to the beat with the crowd. She had to admit that he was quite talented. The problem with doing such a well-known song was that anyone in the crowd would know if you sang even one word wrong. They were all very exact in their replication. Miroku leaned in to his mic, joining Inu-Yasha on the chorus.

"Been there before, but not like this
Seen it before, but not like this
Never before have I ever
Seen it this bad, she's just a woman
Never again
Just tell the nurse you slipped and fell
It starts to sting as it starts to swell
She looks at you she wants the truth
It's right there in the waiting room
With those hands, lookin' just
As sweet as he can
Never again."

The crowd sang along, catching the excitement. Inu-Yasha nearly spat the angry words from his mouth as he sang the chorus.

"Seen it before, but not like this
Been there before, but not like this
Never before have I ever
Seen it this bad, she's just a woman
Never again
Father's a name you haven't earned yet
You're just a child with a temper
Haven't you heard "Don't hit a lady"?
Kickin' your ass would be a pleasure
He's drunk again, it's time to fight
Same old shit, just on a different night
She grabs the gun, she's had enough
Tonight she'll find out how fucking
Tough is this man, pulls the trigger
Just as fast as she can
Never again."

The sunglasses had remained covering Inu-Yasha's eyes, so no one could see the anger in his eyes. His voice reflected the emotion, belting out the words to the chorus for the last time.

"Seen it before, but not like this
Been there before, but not like this
Never before have I ever
Seen it this bad, she's just a woman
Never again."

Inu-Yasha smirked at the crowd as they cheered and screamed. A group of fangirls in front of him reached up to him, screaming his name. He looked behind them to see Kagome clapping. The announcer rushed onto the stage, seizing the mic in front of Inu-Yasha. "Let's hear it for 'H.Y.N.'! Arigatou, boys! Next up..." Inu-Yasha tuned out his voice, preoccupied with unplugging his amp and carrying it offstage. When he reached the instrument room, amp in one hand, guitar in the other, Shippo was boxing up his drums.

The younger boy flashed him a smile, wiping sweat from his brow as he straightened, "Way to go, Yash, you nailed it!"

A flash of teeth was the only sign that Inu-Yasha had heard, as he stowed his guitar and amp. Miroku followed, stashing his bass and amp next to Inu-Yasha's. "We're sure to move on, after the crowd's reaction," Miroku commented as they left the room.

"Feh, I never had any doubt," Inu-Yasha shrugged, grabbing a bottle of water from the table backstage.

"You may be confident, but I had my doubts," Shippo admitted, guzzling down water.

"So," Miroku said, waggling an eyebrow, "shall we go find those ladies from 'Tama' to enjoy the rest of the show with?"

Inu-Yasha snorted, "Whatever."

"Oh, come on, Yash," Shippo bounced nearby, elbowing him in the side. "Even you have to admit that they were pretty talented."

"Not to mention beautiful," Miroku added, a glint in his brown eyes.

"Feh, think what you want. They seem pretty average to me."

Miroku almost dropped his water bottle in surprise, gaping at his friend. "Average? In what universe? Average girls follow us around like little puppies."

"Who says they won't now that they've heard us play?" Inu-Yasha crossed his arms defensively.

"Because they're not obsessed with what's popular. That song that they played is pretty rare. If I didn't own the cd, I'd never have known it," Shippo piped up.

"Like I care, anyways. Come on, let's go," Inu-Yasha finished his water, tossing the bottle into the trash bin on his way offstage. Miroku and Shippo quietly followed. While trying to find a good vantage point to watch the competition, Inu-Yasha "happened" to land them a few feet behind the three girls.

"Thought you didn't care," Miroku said behind Inu-Yasha.

"I don't. This is the best place to see what kind of competition we're up against."

"Sure, whatever you say," Shippo said, rolling his eyes.


Gohanzgirl: Swear jars are a bitch. Haha... Glad I don't have one, or I'd be doling out quarters like you wouldn't believe! Another DHC fan! Woo hoo!

~*A/N: Mmmm... pocky. Oh, you're done already? *hides pocky behind back* Nothing, there's nothing behind my back! Especially not delicious, melt-in-your-mouth, strawberry pocky! Ok, ok, here, you can have some. *hands out pocky* But now you owe me a review! Ja ne, minna!*~