InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ One Dark and Stormy Nights ❯ A Prologue of Sorts ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

This is my InuYasha Halloween special. Because Halloween is the best holiday ever and deserves a special from something. Honestly, I meant to upload this on Monday, but my brain decided not to work all week.
One Dark and Stormy Night
Chapter 1
It was raining.
Like pouring, cats and dogs, under-a-waterfall raining. They wore having a hard time seeing two feet in front of their faces.
It was Shippo who saw the house first. He pointed it out quickly and they strained to see.
It really just looked abandoned. Old, creepy, like it would crash under the weight of the rain. It was probably why they hadn't seen it before or sensed it in any way.
They walked towards it. After all, it was shelter. Besides, Inuyasha was starting to smell like wet dog, and Kirara was doing no better.
They came to the front gate and pushed it open. The creaking could barely be heard through the rain.
And the rain stopped.
It took them a minute to realize they'd walked under an awning of sorts. Unlit lanterns were hung across the planks holding the covering up.
“You think anyone lives here?” Inuyasha asked.
“Doesn't look like it,” Kagome answered.
Suddenly, a light was bobbing towards them, seemingly floating in air. Kagome stepped back; Shippo grabbed her legs; Inuyasha crouched down; and Sango and Miroku held their hands above their weapons.
A young girl with soft blue eyes that seemed to glow eerily in the lamplight stood before them, holding a lantern to their faces. She'd come so suddenly, they stepped back in shock.
“The master is expecting you,” she said sullenly.
“Eh… What?” Sango said first.
“The rain,” the girl answered, waving the lantern at the surrounding water from the sky, “The master has been expecting travelers. You can't see anything and it's only growing darker. We always set up rooms on nights like this.”
“Oh…”
“We apologize for barging in as we did,” Miroku said, “Obviously it is raining and we had not realized someone was living here.”
“The master does not keep his home well lit.” She turned around and called out to them, “If you wish to stay, follow me.”
><><><><><><><><< /div>
“Teijo-dono,” the girl called as she pulled back the paper door, “We have guests.”
The room was shrouded in shadows. Only three candles were lit around the room. The girl placed the lantern on the floor. One of the shadows moved and they realized it was a man standing.
His visage was still hidden in the shadows as he turned to face them. “I smell a demon in the bunch,” he said in a grating voice.
“You said to take in travelers,” the girl answered, “And these people looked like travelers to me.”
“Fine,” Teijo said, “Prepare some food and send them to the rooms. I hope you find everything to your liking.”
The girl gave a bow before picking up the lantern and leading them out of the room.
“The master has been irritable lately,” she said as they walked through the halls, “Some company will do him good.” She pulled back another door, revealing a feast already prepared. “My name is Tamae. If anything is needed, please ask me.”
And then she was gone.
“Does something about this place seem odd?” Sango asked.
“Everywhere we go there's something odd,” Miroku answered, “At least this time we got a free meal.”
Sango glowered at him.
Shippo picked up a rice bowl. “The food looks good. Miroku's right. We shouldn't go hungry.”
They sat down and cautiously began digging into the food.
><><><><><><><
A few minutes later, Tamae entered the room carrying pillows. She set them down on the floor as she surveyed the scene.
All five were lying on the floor, completely knocked out. Even the two-tailed fox had fallen under the spell.
Tamae sighed. The meal had done as it should've.
Carefully as not to disturb their slumber (though a simple lifting of the head would not have awoken them) she placed a pillow beneath them.
If they were going to die, they might as well do so comfortably.
Author(ess) Notes:
This is gonna be fun.
I will apply pairings, just `cause it's fun and I can't really write anything without adding some romance.
The bit about the girl's eye color is important. You should remember that.
Maybe it's a good thing that I waited until the first day of October to upload this. Whooo October!!
Review, my duckies, for the jester waits for no one.