InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ One Summer ❯ Leprechaun-Free ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 4: Leprechaun-free
Well, she couldn't very well slap a skirt on him, bring him to school and tell everyone that he was “Shannon O'Maru”, an exchange student from western Ireland. That much was obvious.
It was also obvious that, Inu-Yasha induced hallucination or not, he wasn't going away anytime soon. Might as well plan accordingly.
“Alright,” she squeaked, “Alright, it is clear that there's something very strange going on here, very strange. Now, I may, in fact, be insane. But ignoring that ... I don't know what brought you here, and I assume you don't either?'
He nodded impassively.
“Right. Now that we've got that established, we've got to figure out some way to…send you back home, I guess.” He seemed pleased with the idea, though it was difficult to tell, him being Sesshoumaru and all. Privately, Carol felt that someone was going to send her to the home, once the news of her insanity broke out.
“I have to go to school soon…and I really can't think of any way to take you with me, barring a sudden outbreak of mass hysteria … so … do you think you could stay here for a couple of hours?” Thank goodness her parents worked during the day. “You could ... watch TV!”
He gave this some thought. On one hand, he did not wish to take orders from a human girl, but on the other, it would be interesting to learn more about this `teevee'. Though Sesshoumaru would be appalled to know it, he arrived at a very human conclusion.
The TV won out.
“That would be acceptable,” he said, “for the time being.”
“Great! Now, here's the remote—that's what you use to control it—just press this button here, see? And, I'll be back in a few hours, really! Don't go anywhere, `kay? Just for now? Good … and see—we don't really have demons here, so don't let anyone see you. It'd cause them all sorts of stress and—yeah, I know you could take `em, don't want to bother with stupid humans and all that jazz, but it'll be much much easier to send you home if we don't have mass panic…can't get anything done that way, eh?” She laughed nervously, “Yeah, so stay in my room, and I'll be back, then we'll …figure something out … stay here! Did I say that already? Heh …oh well, bye!”
She rushed from the room, leaving a bewildered Sesshoumaru behind her.
Oh god oh god oh god! She thought as she bounded down the stairs. What am I going to do?
She grabbed her backpack, waved to her mother and ran to catch the bus.
It turned out to be the longest school day of her life. She couldn't stop thinking about Sesshoumaru. Would he stay in her room? Would her mother, for some freakish reason, decide to stay home? Would she find him? Gaa! The suspense!
And how did she expect to send him home? She wasn't a magician! God, he was going to kill her and—
Buzz!
  Carol shrieked and fell out of her chair. Scattered laughter. Great.  The huddled masses found her pain amusing.  She hurried out of the room, eager to return home.
Making her way through the hallway was a headache on wheels, even under normal circumstances. Her school consisted mostly of ordinary people who, for some reason beyond her understanding, mutated into slow-moving, semi-conscious zombies upon entering the hallway. Though she couldn't be sure, she believed that some of them may hunger for brains.
Carol was shuffling as fast as she could, lost in thought.
“Hiya!” Someone tapped Carol's shoulder.
“Argg!” screamed Carol, “Oh! Hi, Cindy!” She should've known by the noise. Cindy was one of those people who wore so many knick-knacks that she jingled as she walked. (She also left little piles of glitter everywhere she sat. She said it was to confuse the seat-gremlins. This, of course, is entirely irrelevant.)
“Say, you sure are on edge today. What's up? “Here Cindy's voice dropped, “Have the leprechauns finally shown themselves? Wait!” Cindy lunged and slammed Carol into the lockers. “Quickly! Shh!” Cindy was Carol's best friend.
She was also insane.
This, of course, is irrelevant as well. (Not to mention obvious.)
She dragged the shell-shocked girl into the bathroom, uninhabited due to a strange and horrible incident involving sub-par cleaning solution and a nasty rash in an unpleasant area. Apparently the unfortunate girl's family was suing the school over it. (The girl in question could no longer show her face in polite society.) After what had happened to her, no one was willing to use those toilets.
“Now about the leprechauns…” whispered Cindy
“No! No leprechauns, Cindy. Really! Just a little excited about the summer … Leprechaun-free zone here! Heh...”
“Oh,” said Cindy, disappointed, “Well, remember…be ever vigilant! THeY WaLk AmOnG Us!” Her eyes darted anxiously. Suddenly, she straightened, shook Carol's hand and saluted, clicking her heels. Carol saluted back, albeit half-heartedly.
Cindy grinned.
“See you tomorrow! Bye!” And with that, she left, jingling all the way.
Well, at least she wasn't as crazy as Cindy. That was a blessing.
Carol arrived home in a timely matter. Her parents wouldn't be back for a good few hours.
Sesshoumaru was nowhere in sight.
She made her way upstairs, to her room. Oh! He'd left hadn't he? Rounding the corner, she stopped short. Paused. Her hand hovered above the doorknob.
Bracing herself, she slowly opened the door.
Her eyes widened in horror. Sweet jeebus whistling on an angry jackhammer!
“How could—what did? Oh!” She couldn't find words to describe the sheer intensity of her shock.
And, for the first time in her life, Carol fainted.