InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ One Summer ❯ Possibilities ( Chapter 11 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Well, it's been a long time, huh? The next chapter'll likely come out faster. Law of averages and all that. Anyways, how d'yall feel about the rating on this? I'm thinking of raising it, but I don't know if the content really warrants that.
 
 
Chapter 11: Possibilities
 
“So, you're a botanist?” Kagome asked, trying to get her facts straight.
 
“Yes,” said Agnes, “It was the most peculiar thing, really. One minute I was in my lab, cultivating a particularly viscous strain of begonias, and the next minute, I was here. Most unsettling. Thank goodness this upstanding gentleman was here. Cacti, are, I am afraid, not much known for their mobility.”
 
How did a modern day botanist end up in the feudal era? wondered Kagome, in her confusion completely skipping over the larger puzzle of how a cactus, a vocal-chord free organism, if ever there was, could speak.
 
“You are a botanist … but also a cactus?” asked Miroku. “Or was this a more recent development?”
 
“Yes, it seems that, upon entering this world, my form was changed.”
 
“And the hat?” asked Inu-Yasha.
 
“It's dreadfully fashionable.”
 
“Aha …”
 
“Well,” said the old man, dusting himself off, “follow me, everyone, there's chairs in the Secret Zombie-Rebellion Base. Comfortable chairs. Okay, so not too comfortable—they're a little rickety. And hard. And there's this one chair that just presses right up against your—you know what, forget what I said about comfortable … they're actually un—say what's the matter?”
 
Shippo was shaking violently.
 
“Um … There aren't any,” Sango lowered her voice “stools in there, right?”
 
“Hum … not that I remember … why?”
 
“Long story,” said Kagome. She shuddered, as did Shippo, Miroku, Sango and Inu-Yasha. There are some things that you just don't forget, no matter how hard you try.
 
They groped through the darkness, some more literally than others. (Miroku, remember, has things to do. Important things, despite Sango's insistence otherwise.) Eventually, they came to a small lighted room.
 
“What's with the—“ began Kagome. Ew. That's just disgusting.
 
“Well, it's funny that you mention that because …”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Naraku lifted the tainted pudding to his lips, just about to consume its vanilla goodness, when suddenly a green blur whizzed past his nose.
 
The pudding fell to the dirt, sizzling. It began to erode the rock.
 
“No!” screamed Naraku and Kagura, simultaneously.
 
“What was that?” Naraku turned his head to the sound of her voice.
 
Kagura covered her mouth quickly.
 
“Nothing!”
 
“Really?”
 
“Yes.”
 
It seemed to Naraku that it must have been something, but he was too busy mourning his puddin'. Sweet sweet concoction, cut down in the prime of life, just as it was so smooth and creamy and … acidic. Look at it there he thought, burning a hole in the ground, sadlwait. That didn't seem right. Not right at all.
 
His ruminations were interrupted by a deep booming voice:
 
“I is Boulder! I crush you now!”
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Jaken had never run so fast in his life. He thought he deserved some sort of award, especially since he had to drag Rin along on his back. A shiny award. With his name on it. And Lord Sesshoumaru could present it to him on a silver platter, wearing nothing but a -
 
“Hey, Lord Jaken!” Jaken sighed, jerked out of his decidedly interesting fantasy. What did she want now? He'd saved her from the grammatically incorrect Boulder, hadn't he? With some people, really, it was just take take take … When did Jaken get his due, huh? He slaved all day, taking care of this pint-sized, ungrateful fantasy-interrupter and did he ever get a reward? Oh no! He didn't need much. All selfless, humble little Jaken wanted was to see Sesshoumaru in a -
 
“Look at these!” Jaken groaned as Rin held up a handful of the ugliest flowers he had ever seen in his life. They were hideous, swollen things. Probably over-watered by some halfwit human gardener … And the colors! Jaken couldn't be sure, but he thought that he may have just thrown up in his mouth a little. (Just a little. It was the chunky kind, though.)
 
Yet Rin stared at them with wide, delusional eyes, like they were the most beautiful flowers in the whole world.
 
“Oh Jaken!” she breathed, and say, what was wrong with her eyes? Jaken didn't like that look, didn't like it one bit. Was she salivating? “Smell them! They're wonderful!”
 
She shoved the flowers under his nose.
 
Jaken passed out.
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Boulder, eh? That was a new one. Yet, Naraku was sure that the creature wasn't a demon. How strange …
 
He smashed it into small pieces. It wouldn't bring his puddin' back, but oh did it feel good!
 
To his shock, the small pieces jiggled angrily, like a celebrity who had had some `work' done in a disreputable shack in eastern Guatemala, returned to the `States with a nasty infection in an uncomfortable area, was called on it during a sleazy talk show interview, and was now trying fervently to deny that whole incident ever happened.
 
Yeah, it was like that. Exactly.
 
“We is Boulderlets!” they shrieked, again sounding like the aforementioned celebrity, right down to the sub-par grammar. Naraku raised an eyebrow.
 
The Boulderlets attempted to attack Naraku's left shoe. They had almost overtaken the sole when a stray breeze ripped them from their mildly painful revenge.
 
“We shall return!” They yelled. “With re-enforcements!” But Naraku wasn't listening. He stomped off to go see if he could find a good shoemaker to fix the slight tear.
 
Meanwhile, Kagura was not to be discouraged. Naraku was wily; obviously she'd need a better plan. Her eyes fell on the hole in the ground, slightly filled with its creator, the tainted pudding. Now this had possibilities.