InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Out of Time ❯ The Impossible ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~~Chapter 8~~
~The Impossible~
 
“Why don't you sit down and make yourselves comfortable? Sesshoumaru will be with you shortly,” Shiori said, gesturing at the plush sofas strewn around the impressive room. InuYasha refused to move and refused to let Kagome move from behind his back. Hand on the hilt of Tetsusaiga, he wasn't about to let Sesshoumaru have the upper hand at all.
 
“Would you care for something to drink, InuYasha? Kagome?” Shiori asked.
 
“No,” InuYasha growled. Kagome sighed loudly in protest.
 
Miroku sank down on a sofa while Sango carefully unwrapped his hand to look at the injury. “It's gone,” Sango commented in quiet confusion. “There's not even so much as a mark.” Her gaze shifted to InuYasha and Kagome. “What's going on?”
 
InuYasha shot Kagome a quick glance. Kagome sighed. “Miroku?”
 
Miroku drew his hand away from Sango, unable to meet her eyes. “It's fine. Don't worry, okay?”
 
The heavy wooden doors swung open again. A very tall youkai strode in. If his bearing and his demeanor didn't give away who he was, his looks alone did. Same silvery hair though slightly darker, same facial features, same blue moon crest on his forehead . . . Sesshoumaru's son?
 
He stared at each of the group without change in expression. When his gaze lit on InuYasha, his eyebrows lifted in surprise. “You must be InuYasha . . . the most renowned of the hanyous. I am Yukio, son of Sesshoumaru . . . your nephew.”
 
“Yukio, will you see what is keeping your father?” Shiori asked, her voice pleasant yet with more authority than she had used before.
 
Yukio bowed. “Of course, Mother.” After nodding to the others, he left the room again.
 
“He's a hanyou?” InuYasha asked after Yukio closed the door behind him.
 
Shiori laughed softly. “Well, he's almost full youkai, but yes, for the sake of classification, then he is considered hanyou.”
 
“Why does Sesshoumaru want to see us?”
 
“That's really for him to disclose, don't you think?”
 
Conversation ended when the doors opened again and Sesshoumaru followed by Yukio swept into the room. Sesshoumaru nodded at the others but stopped before InuYasha and Kagome.
 
He didn't look different at all, considering he was five hundred years older. InuYasha was surprised when his brother smiled slightly at Kagome. “Miko,” he greeted.
 
“Sesshoumaru.”
 
“I trust you've met my oldest son?”
 
“Sort of,” Kagome replied. She tried to step out from behind InuYasha. He stayed her with a hand on her hip.
 
“You're the famous miko? The one who purified the Shikon no Tama?” Yukio asked, obviously impressed.
 
Kagome nodded.
 
“Beautiful too, I see.”
 
InuYasha growled.
 
Sesshoumaru sighed. “You must excuse your uncle, Yukio. He was raised without manners.”
 
“Still a bastard, I see, Sesshoumaru.”
 
Yukio looked quite offended at that. Sesshoumaru chuckled. “Ignore him.”
 
“What did you want to see us for?”
 
Sesshoumaru gestured at the sofas. InuYasha finally took his hand off Tetsusaiga and led Kagome over to the furthest seat from his brother. Yukio sank down on Kagome's opposite side. InuYasha picked her up and deposited her on his other side, smashing her between him and the arm of the sofa. “InuYasha!” she hissed, trying to get up.
 
“Stay there,” he ordered.
 
With a frustrated sigh, Kagome fell silent.
 
“Something wrong, Uncle?” Yukio asked innocently.
 
InuYasha narrowed his eyes at his nephew. “Just stay the hell away from Kagome, and we'll get along just fine.”
 
“Is there a reason you asked us here, Sesshoumaru?” Miroku spoke up. He sounded tired. InuYasha wondered just how badly the monk's hand really was bothering him.
 
Sesshoumaru sank down in a very plush burgundy velvet chair, making a show of crossing his ankles and staring at his claws before he spoke. “When you battled Naraku, are you sure you killed him?”
 
“Of course we're sure we killed him!” InuYasha growled. “If we hadn't killed him, Miroku's kazaana wouldn't have disappeared.”
 
Sesshoumaru nodded slowly. “Miko . . . you purified the Shikon no Tama?”
 
Kagome nodded. “Yes.”
 
“May I ask how?”
 
Almost nervously, Kagome glanced at her companions. She shook her head. “I'd rather not say.”
 
Sesshoumaru looked surprised but let the question drop.
 
InuYasha shot Kagome a questioning look. `How did she purify the jewel? What did she do? Why won't she tell me?'
 
Sesshoumaru pinned his brother with a bored stare. “Be careful, InuYasha. There're terrors here—in this time and in this place—that you've never even dreamed of.”
 
 
 
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
A/N:
 
I just thought the Sesshoumaru/Shiori pairing would work on a few levels for this fic. First off, she's just adorable, hands down, flat out a cutie. Secondly, I think that perhaps it would be possible for him to have had a slight change of heart as far as hanyous are concerned. I mean, it has been many years since then. With the myriad of Rin/Sesshoumaru fics I've seen, I thought I could definitely get away with this pairing. Third … It worked to my advantage. Now, I'm not suggesting that there really is anything between Sesshoumaru and Shiori in the anime. I don't think they've ever even met, but this fanfic was meant to be a bit more fun than Purity, so… I hope you're enjoying!
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Simonkal of Inuy:
I'm really glad you're reposting this, but I have to ask. when this was first posted, wasn't Sesshoumaru mated to Rin? I'm just wondering. And have you totally given up on Desideratum? I'm just wondering because I really like that fic.
 
No, he wasn't. This story has always used Shiroi. I'm not really changing anything; just reuploading this story. Whatever mistakes were there originally are likely there now, too. I never have written anything with a Rin/Sesshoumaru pairing, and I never will, and no, I update Desideratumwhen the muse strikes me. If I'd abandoned it, I'd have removed it from the site.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Blanket disclaimer for this fanfic (will apply to this and all other chapters in Out of Time): I do not claim any rights to InuYasha or the characters associated with the anime/manga. Those rights belong to Rumiko Takahashi, et al. I do offer my thanks to her for creating such vivid characters for me to terrorize.
 
~Sue~