InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Overcoming the Past ❯ Lost ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha and co. They belong to their creator Rumiko Takahashi.

'…' Indicates thoughts

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~ *~*~*~*~*~*~

It's not fair! Why did he have to choose her instead of me?! What does she have that I don't? Unlike her, I loved him!

Kagome ran through the trees, rain weighing her body. Her muscles were sore and she suffered from both physical and mental exhaustion. The teen tripped over a tree root and collapsed on the soft forest floor. She didn't bother moving, just remained a crumpled mess and cried out all her anguish.

She cried for her love.

She cried for her incarnation.

She cried for what was

And what could have been.

<^>*flashback*<^>

Kagome watched with unshed tears as Inuyasha embraced Kikyou. Kikyou returned the attentions.

"Will you remain with me always, Inuyasha?" came Kikyou's soft feminine voice.

"Of course! Zutto. Always and forever, my love," was Inuyasha's ardent reply. He bent down and marked his new mate then kissed her passionately. Kikyou allowed it for a while before asking the question that was plaguing both her mind and her reincarnation's.

"What about the other girl, my reincarnation?" Kikyou whispered into Inuyasha's dog ear.

"What about her? She's nothing more than a shard detector. I feel nothing for her." Kikyou smiled lovingly at Inuyasha, who was grinning at her like a lovesick puppy dog.

Kagome couldn't take it anymore. She rose to her feet and silently fled the scene as fast as her legs could carry her.

<^>*end flashback*<^>

After she remembered the events of the not so distant past, Kagome felt the warmth of unconsciousness tug at her mind and welcomed it with open arms.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~ *~*~*~*~*~*

Sesshoumaru stalked over to the sleeping form of what seemed to be a human girl. When he neared her form, he sniffed the air for any traces of her who she was or where she was from. He caught the faint scent of his half brother and growled.

'This is the baka hanyou's mate. No, she couldn't be, she smells too nice to be his.' Sesshoumaru stopped the dangerous line of thought immediately. He knelt down and lifted her up, positioning her body to lie against his chest. He stared at her for a long moment, not noticing that his face had been drifting closer to hers as he scrutinized her features.

'She is very beautiful, for a human or otherwise. She was crying. It must have something to do with my stupid half brother, or she would not have run so far from the protection of his forest. I doubt that this girl has any idea of how much danger she is in,' the taiyoukai thought as he tucked a stray lock of her raven hair behind her rounded human ear, his clawed fingers brushing against her pale skin as he did so. His eyes traveled from her gentle eyebrows to her closed eyes, down the bridge of her small nose to her soft, cherry colored lips.

For some reason, her lips drew him in as if he was in a trance. His face drifted slowly closer to hers to the point where their noses where almost touching. Sesshoumaru was about to close the gap when out of the corner of his eyes, he noticed the girl's wide, fearful gaze on his face. He immediately backed away, giving the human some room to breath, but did not allow her to move from her position in his lap.

The girl struggled against him for several moments before sighing and ceasing all movements.

"What do you want, Sesshoumaru-sama?" the girl inquired softly, tilting her gaze up to meet his. Sesshoumaru said did nothing to answer her question or acknowledge that he had even heard her. Kagome averted her eyes when she felt his stare piercing her heart.

'His eyes are so much like Inuyasha's, yet at the same time it's different somehow. Sesshoumaru's gaze is much more intense. I wonder if he realizes that he is holding a human in his arms. Probably not. If he did, he would not be helping me, if that's what he's doing.'

Sesshoumaru observed the girl's expressions with interest. She went from sad to confused to understanding to amusement to an expression that was even sadder than her first look.

"Wench," Sesshoumaru's voice growled in an attempt to gain her attention. The girl frowned.

"Kagome," she replied forcefully, her eyes met his angrily. Sesshoumaru's brows furrowed in confusion.

"What?"

"My name . . . it's Kagome. Not wench, bitch, human, stupid girl, or anything else you demons want to call me. Please." The last part came out as such a soft whisper that Sesshoumaru almost missed it. He felt a slight pain in his heart. He knew very well where she got most of those names. Inuyasha had always been calling her names when he arrived to fight with the hanyou.

"Ka-go-me," he repeated experimentally, liking the way each syllable sounded as they rolled off his tongue. The girl's eyes brightened with thankfulness and Sesshoumaru's eyes softened at how easily she was pleased. "Kagome, what happened to you? What did my stupid half brother do to make someone as strong as you break down like this?" Kagome's eyes glazed over as the memories came back to her.

"Inuyasha marked Kikyou as his mate even though she is only ashes, bones, mud, and souls of other women. He told her that he loved only her and he made it clear that he felt nothing for me. I didn't stay long enough to watch them mate. I felt sick enough as it was. I remember it beginning to rain really hard, and I remember tripping and everything going black. Then I woke up with you hovering over me." She blushed slightly as she remembered how close they had been.

Sesshoumaru was appalled at what Kagome told him. 'Inuyasha actually chose that walking corpse over this beautiful priestess, who had followed his faithfully for years? He truly is a fool among fools. Poor Kagome; I can sympathize with her. Father chose that human whore and their bastard son over my mother. Mother committed suicide shortly after because she was not strong enough to live on, so I live and suffer in her place. I wonder if Kagome will try to die as well. I cannot let that happen a second time just because of Inuyasha. I will protect this girl . . . Kagome.'