InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Overcoming the Past ❯ Loss of a Kitsune ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/n: I'm so happy! I have a three-day weekend! I have so many plans with my friends, and I sure you would all just love to hear about it! Just kidding. Um… well, I have been hearing a lot about how fanfiction.net is taking stuff with lime/lemon content off the site. Is this true? I might not post a lemon chapter in this story here on this site. I think I will only do it on mediaminer.org. Anyway, the lemon isn't here yet, so it doesn't matter now XD. Also, Thanks for all the reviews. I appreciate it a lot. I actually don't get many compared to a lot of people, but that's okay, cause that gives me enough time to respond to them all. I don't know how all you guys do it when you get like 100 reviews. That would be crazy. Then again, those stories are SO good! Btw, I am having some writer's block and need some inspiration/ideas. If anyone has an idea they can lend me or would be nice enough to tell me what they want to happen next, I would be very appreciative. Now, on with the chapter!

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha and Co.

"…" Indicates words.

'…' Indicates thoughts.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~ *~*~*~*~*

Inuyasha trudged along, silently battling with himself as the others fought their exhaustion to keep up.

"Boy am I ever beat!" exclaimed Shippou. Sango hugged the kitsune warmly and reassured him that they would stop soon. Shippou relaxed into the taijiya's (a/n: How do you spell it?) embrace and glared at the undead miko that traveled a few meters ahead of him. "I don't trust her." Miroku looked at the boy, then at the miko, and nodded in agreement.

"I think that you are very right in not trusting her, Shippou. My intuition tells me that she might turn on us, and Inuyasha, at any time. We had best always be prepared," the houshi advised his companions. Sango frowned.

"Do you really think that she will betray Inuyasha so directly and so soon? She has him wrapped around her evil finger. If I were her and in that position, I would gain as much as possible and take my time in betraying the hanyou I despise." Shippou leaped out of her arms and stood on Miroku's shoulder. The two men watched her warily. "I'm not her, so quit acting so scared of me!" Miroku smiled slyly (like the true hentai he is ^_^) and matched his pace with hers.

"Why lady Sango, I would never let something like that come between us. I will always be right by your side and-" Miroku was then lying on the floor in a heap with a large bump on his head. Shippou looked at him in amusement.

"Poor Miroku. He never learns to keep his hand to himself," he said, shaking his head, as Sango moved on while muttering about a certain hentai houshi.

After about an hour, the shard-hunting group set up their makeshift camp for the night. Sango was leaning against Kirara by the fire with Shippou in her lap. Miroku sat a couple of feet away. He was leaning against an old log. Kikyou sat on the opposite side of the fire, even while Inuyasha lay sound asleep in a nearby tree, and was receiving glares from everyone else in the group other than her mate.

"I hate you. You took my mother away from me. She was all I had. She was the only one I dared to trust and love. I want my mother back. I would kill you personally if it brought her back, but it wouldn't. That's the only reason you're alive right now, you disgusting wench." Kikyou stared unfazed at the young kitsune's threats and harsh words.

"I didn't meet you before I began to travel with Inuyasha. I know that I never killed any female kitsune youkai since I came back to this world. Your memory must be deluded, little demon," came Kikyou's uncaring response. "Besides that, you are not strong enough to kill a mortal animal. You are weak, much too weak to kill me." Shippou growled at her.

"It is your fault my mommy's gone! Kagome-okaasan would never leave unless you were involved! Now, Sesshoumaru has her and she might die before we can save her. She could be suffering right now and we wouldn't know anything! I hate you, you ugly clay bitch!" he cried and ran into the forest to calm down, ignoring the pleas of his friends as he left.

The next say, the group gathered and discussed how they were going to rescue Kagome failing to notice that Shippou was not among them.

<^>^<^>^<^>^<^>

Kagome sneezed softly, disturbing the early morning. everyone looked at her curiously, but she just smiled and everyone went about his or her business. Hana and her mate, Katsuga, were all preparing to depart for their castles and return to their usual lives as rulers.

'I wonder if someone is talking about me. Who could it be?' She began to name off people in her head and imagine what they were saying. Hana noticed Kagome's playful grin and giggled slightly.

"What is on your mind, Kagome-sama?" Kagome jumped and turned to Hana, smiling sadly at her.

"Nothing really. So, you're going to leave tomorrow?" Hana nodded. Kagome's eyes grew even sadder. "I don't want you to leave! Then, I will be all alone with no one to talk to until you visit again."

"Actually, that is not entirely true. Nika and Yukio will be staying another week, so you will have them to talk to… and we all know just how much you love spending time with them," the demoness giggled. Kagome paled.

"You're leaving me here to be hit on by Yukio-sama, picked on by Nika-sama, and completely ignored by Sesshoumaru? Why?" cried Kagome in exasperation. Hana smiled and silently took note that Kagome left off the formality of "sama" at the end of Sesshoumaru's name. Nika and Yukio stared at Kagome evilly while Sesshoumaru just stared out the large window in the grand sitting room. "See? He just ignores every statement I make as if he doesn't even hear me!" the young miko threw her hands up in the air in anger. Hana laughed wholeheartedly as her friend continued to fume noisily.

"Sesshoumaru-sama!" Rin ran into the room with several bundles of flowers in her small hands. She ran up to Sesshoumaru first with a huge grin and hugged his legs. He pet her head and took the flowers that she held up to him with an imperceptible nod of thanks. After Rin gave each taiyoukai a bundle of flowers as a goodbye present she ran over and hugged Kagome, climbing into her lap to do so.

"Kagome-neechan! Rin picked flowers for you, too, even though you aren't going to leave!" she exclaimed excitedly as she handed Kagome a single Tsubaki blossom. "Rin picked that flower off the ground specially for you, neechan! Rin didn't pick it from the dirt because you said that you like them alive, so Rin picked one that would die soon anyway! Do you like it neechan? Do you?" Kagome smiled at the bundle of energy in her lap and nodded her head happily.

"Yes, Rin, I love the flower. It's one of the prettiest flowers I have ever seen, just like you. You are one of the most good and precious children I have ever met, Rin." Rin's eyes lit up with joy when she heard loving Kagome's words.

"Really neechan? Rin is a good girl?" Rin asked hopefully. Kagome nodded at her and the youngster looked to Sesshoumaru for confirmation. Sesshoumaru sensed the child's inquiring gaze and turned to her with an approving nod. Rin beamed and danced around the room to the door happily.

"Rin will go pick more flowers for Sesshoumaru-sama and Kagome-neechan!" she chirped before skipping out the door with Jaken following her at Sesshoumaru's command. Kagome smiled at the taiyoukai thankfully.

"I think you just made Rin's day… or maybe longer." Sesshoumaru stared at her for a few brief moments before smirking.

"She is very easy to please," came his stoic reply. Kagome froze. Sesshoumaru was actually making small talk with her.

'He usually never says anything if it's not important.' Sesshoumaru noticed her reaction and was pleased that he could so effortlessly surprise and please her.

"Just like Rin…" he mumbled aloud. Kagome looked up at him and Sesshoumaru realized his that he had said that out loud.

"What did you say? I couldn't hear you," Kagome inquired amiably.

Sesshoumaru sighed. 'Well, it's not like she would be angry if I told her that. I shouldn't lie to her. Besides, it's nothing important.'

"I said you and Rin are a lot alike… You both ask for so little and give so much. I will never understand either one of you." Kagome blushed at that, know that it was a compliment when coming from him. The taiyoukai observed her for a few moments. "You are blushing, Ka-go-me." He pronounced each syllable of her name separately, as if meaning to taunt her. Kagome responded by blushing deeper and glaring at him.

"So what if I am? What's it to you?" she sneered playfully. Sesshoumaru caught on and was about to make a snide remark when Jaken burst into the room frantically.

"Sesshoumaru-sama! Sesshoumaru-sama!" The taiyoukai glared at his henchman and waited for it to get a grip and tell him what the problem was. "There is a young kitsune boy at the castle entrance and he's badly wounded. Methinks he may be dead now, Milord!" Jaken continued to babble endlessly and bow on occasion. Sesshoumaru glanced at Kagome and noticed that she was trembling.

"Kagome, are you all right?" he inquired softly. Kagome met his gaze with fearful eyes that spoke of her endless worries. She immediately stood and dashed toward where Jaken had specified the kitsune was, followed closely by Sesshoumaru and the others. When she got there she screamed. There, on the floor of the foyer lay Shippou, beaten and bruised and lying in a puddle of his own blood. His clothes were shredded and he was extremely pale.

Kagome approached the wounded youkai slowly, lest he react on instinct and lash out, if he was even conscious to do so. Keeling beside his wounded form, she pulled her surrogate son into her lap.

"Sh-Shippou-chan? C-can you hear me? It's m-me … Kagome…" There was no response. She looked at Hana, who refused to meet her gaze, then to Sesshoumaru. He shook his head solemnly and Kagome broke down into lonely, heart-wrenching sobs.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~ *~*~*~*~*

a/n: Should I have Sesshoumaru bring him back? Well, I guess this adds to the reasons for Kagome to beat the hanyou and his hunk of clay. Don't get me wrong, I luv Inu-kun, and I do respect Kikyou. That means the living Kikyou, not the undead doll. I don't like that thing one bit. Once again, it may be a while before I update [snickers evilly while dodging several flying objects]. Just kidding, I will update in a day or two, before the weekend is over, I will try to update. It might be really short like this chapter (btw, sorry it was so short this time), but it is better than waiting a week for it ne? Thanks to everyone who was kind enough to review my last chapter (Ch. eight, ne?)

Review Responses:

Bloodbunny: Well, good things are worth waiting for, including Sesshoumaru and Kagome getting together, ne? It won't be too long now ^_~.

Inuyashaluvver: really? I don't think I have heard it before either, but it is very possible so I am surprised that more people don't use that take on the situation.

Armetis Diane: Yep. It'll all happen…Glad u like it.

Tessa3: I feel bad for him too T-T. Well, I'm really glad you like my story enough to put it in your favorites. Arigatou.

Sk8er: Gulp… well I updated. Put the flames away (unless of course you didn't like the chapter cause then your gonna use them to flame me ^_^'). How was this chapter, btw?

Youkai Yume: Yeah! You've gotta update! Watch you already have updated by the time I actually post this. Lol. About the new episodes: I like 'em. I never saw the subbed episodes to Japanese manga (couldn't read it anyway), so it's all new and good to me ^_^! I like your new story, too, so update that one too! It's a lot of work, ne?

Dog Demon: Patience my Inu-minded friend. It will happen in due time ^_~. I sound like some weird elderly monk or something, ne? Oh well… I'm gonna go brood er, meditate.

Saria4: That's good. Hope you enjoy the next chapters.

Cookie-chan1: What do you mean, kind of? He is nicer that me… Well, I guess that's not saying too much… eh heh…ahem! I better just keep my mouth shut!

Nine lifes: Well, it just got sad. Is it still good? Either way, thanks for reviewing.

Wolf girl11: hehehe… that's pretty funny. I actually didn't even thinks about the numbers after people's user names before you said that. Glad you liked the chapter, but isn't that overdoing it a little bit ^_^'?

Thanks again, reviewers! Please review again! Ja ne!