InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Overcoming the Past ❯ Family Gathering ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha and Co. (But I do own Nika, Yukio, Katsuga, and Hana ^_~.)

'…' Indicates thoughts.

"…" Indicates words.

"Overcoming the Past"

Chapter 13: Family Gathering

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*

Sesshoumaru and Kagome strolled casually toward the dining hall, contemplating what had transpired only a few hours earlier. They had decided not to discuss the event with anyone else, lest it cause more trouble for Kagome. Neither dared say a word, for they both afraid that they would destroy the peace that had fallen over them. However, fate seemed to be against them as a shrill voice called after them from down the hallway.

"Oh Sesshy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Sesshoumaru froze and glared back at Nika, who had just caught up to the couple and was glaring daggers at Kagome. "Why do you smell like my Sesshy?! And why does he have your scent on him?" Kagome blushed a deep crimson, but offered no reply. Sesshoumaru merely averted his gaze and an awkward silence fell over them. Kagome shifted nervously on her feet while Nika looked from her to Sesshoumaru apprehensively. The moment was ended however when Nika huffed and walked into the dining room and sat down next to Yukio, pointedly ignoring the others as they followed suit and took their respective places. Servants arrived shortly after and served the party their meals. Shippou and Rin were whispering quietly to each other while Yukio and Nika flirted shamelessly. Every so often, Kagome could feel Sesshoumaru's intense gaze on her, but when she turned hr eyes to him, they were focused o the plate in front of him. Sighing dejectedly, Kagome silently wished that Hana and Katsuga were still there to talk to; now there was no one. As if sensing her gloomy mood, Sesshoumaru turned to her and began to speak.

"I will be having more visitors near the end of this week," he began. Kagome turned to look at him, a hint of surprise evident in her eyes.

"What is the occasion… or is there one? Who are your guests?" she inquired gently, not wanting him to revert back to his usually silent disposition. She then took a sip of water as Sesshoumaru smirked wryly and began to answer her questions.

"They are not welcome guests, they are my grandmother and her friends. They are coming, along with most of our family, to celebrate the anniversary of my birth two-hundred and ten years ago." Kagome spit out her water.

"Two hundred and ten?" she exclaimed, looking at him as if he had grown a second head. Sesshoumaru shot her a devilish smirk.

"Yes. I am relatively young compared to many taiyoukai. Nika, although she may not act like it, is three hundred and five. Hana is three hundred and fifty-two and Yukio is Yukio is three hundred and ten." Kagome stared at him in disbelief.

"Two hundred and ten… with that face? No way!" Sesshoumaru chuckled at her behavior.

"Inuyasha is over 70, Kagome, and he is half human. We youkai age very differently than humans." Kagome remained silent for a moment before smiling amiably at him.

"So, why isn't your family welcome here?" she asked suddenly, changing the subject back to his family and the upcoming events while making a mental note to get him a birthday gift. She shivered when she heard a deep, feral growl escape his lips.

"It is not my family that I don't welcome; it's my grandmother. She has a way of meddling in other people's lives and destroying all of their hopes of happiness and she will do anything to make me miserable. She blames me for her daughter's death because I was not a good enough son to her and she says I am a disgrace to the family because of my 'compassionate nature.' To be completely honest, I doubt there is a creature alive, youkai, hanyou, human or otherwise that would actually find my grandmother and her pesky friends even slightly bearable." Kagome looked at Nika and Yukio, who were both shuddering at the thought of seeing his grandmother. She laughed slightly at their behavior.

"She couldn't really be all that bad, now could she?" They stared at her blankly.

"Kagome-san, have you been listening to what Sesshoumaru-sama has been telling you? She is the worst living creature in existence. She is second to no one when it comes to ruthlessness, not even Naraku or whoever he is. Also, above all else, she loathes humans," Yukio finished with a frown. Then his eyes widened suddenly. "That's right! Sesshy, you had better get Rin and Kagome-san out of here before then or there won't be much of them left. She'll kill them and eat them raw or something!"

"Yeah! She'll make wine out of their blood and grind up their bones to make some weird spice," Nika added fervently. Kagome shook her head at their nonsense. No one could possibly be that bad… They clearly just thought her to be annoying; she was probably just really nice and friendly that it made them sick or something… right…?

<^>^<^>^<^>^<^>

Oh boy… it was possible…it was definitely possible!

Kagome looked at Sesshoumaru worriedly, silently willing him not to lose his temper as he growled openly at the woman who had been in his home for less than ten minutes. In those ten minutes, she had somehow managed to send the calm and collected Sesshoumaru into a blind rage, as well as invoke the wrath of Nika, Yukio, Shippou, and Kagome herself before showing herself to the largest guest room in the castle.

"Ano…Sesshoumaru-sama?" Kagome carefully observed his movements for any sign of response or recognition. She found none, so she moved to kneel down next to his seated position on the floor of the foyer. She noticed his eyes were returning to normal and his breathing was not as erratic as before; he was regaining his senses. She watched him sadly for a few moments before lifting her gaze to Nika and Yukio, who towered over her silently fuming. Shippou had left the room with Rin before things got too heated and before Sesshoumaru lost his temper. "Sesshoumaru…are you alright?" She reached out and placed her hands gently on his shoulders and felt his entire body tense and his anger return beneath her touch. Yukio noticed her actions and immediately told her not to bother him.

"He might lash out at you, Kagome-san," he warned. Genuine concern laced both his words and his expression as he silently begged her to get away from the enraged taiyoukai. Kagome frowned at him before ignoring his plea and returning her attention to Sesshoumaru, noticing that he had partially regained consciousness. When he spoke, his voice was hoarse and sounded more like a growl than words, making it clear that he wasn't fully recovered.

"You're in your castle, Sesshoumaru. You went into a rage when your grandmother arrived," Kagome responded softly, only pausing when he growled angrily. "Don't worry. You'll be just fine, Sesshoumaru. Just rest and calm down, okay?" Sesshoumaru's growling subsided as he allowed her gently voice to lull his rage away on the cold ivory floor of the foyer. He shifted his weight so that he could lean on her shoulder before falling into a light sleep, not wanting to ever wake up and face his worst fear…his family.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*